Just ordered a Dell 24" LCD!

15 posts in this topic

I just ordered a Dell 24" monitor. I was thinking about the 30, but then I decided on the 24" because it doesn't require such a specialized video card to support the native resolution. The Dell 24" is on sell right now for $703.20. I also received a one-time $45 coupon code from the friendly people at the slickdeals.net Dell coupons thread. Total came out to be $657.20 ($711.42 after tax). This is the cheapest you are going to find a 24" monitor anywhere, and it's also the best/best looking one IMO. It supports all the different types of inputs too (dvi. hdmi, composite, old fashioned RCA). There is also a built in card reader and USB ports on the side. My favorite feature is how you can rotate the monitor from Landscape to Portrait view if you wanted.

Anyone else here have a Dell 24" LCD and want to comment? I am so excited and can't wait!

Also, if anyone knows of a x1900 card that works with osx86, please PM me if you can to let me know. I am in the market for a new graphics card. If I don't find anything out soon, I will just go with an X1800 XT.

I hope you like, i have a 2005fpw (20inch Dell LCD) and it rocks.  Was orignally 700 a year ago, same price as the Apple 20inch cinema, but I applied like 7 cupons and got it down to $460.  Enjoy!

Good choice. I've been using "last years model" 2405FPW since October, and am very pleased. I have an "ADD2" PCIe card with an Intel D945GCZ mother board (GMA950 video) to drive the Dell with DVI at native 1920 by 1200 resolution without a hitch in OSX86. One slick feature of the 2405FPW is the inexpensive-but-nice sounding Dell AS500 speaker bar which clips on the bottom AND gets power from the monitor...so no extra wall-wart power supply is needed. Suspect the 2407FPW is similar in this respect, but have not seen one to confirm. I'm looking for a better video card...more an issue in Win XP than is OSX, where many games won't even install on an integrated graphics video...but am trying to be patient until Apple Intel towers are released. Apple Intel towers should set the standard for OSX compatibilty, including drivers.

G

$657.20 is great price! I have also been able to negotiate with Dell reps. $60 off the 2405FPW and 2005FPW when ordering on the phone.

My brother is using the 2405FPW as an HDTV and PS2 display. It is pretty impressive for the ~$850 we paid for it.

I'm actually looking at a 24' LCD for my next system

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824009061

Of course, I'll have to wait awhile after I get my system to get this.

I actually looked at that same LCD. I chose the Dell since I got it for a bit cheaper (even after tax), and because it was sexier. The newer Acer 24" on newegg ($709.99) supports portrait view too, but it doesnt have nearly as many inputs. The newer Acer looks better though. If you are going to go with the Acer, spend the extra $10 for the new model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824009089

Just received the monitor. Damn Dell ships fast. Anyway, I can't seem to get rotation to work in OS X with my GMA 950. Anyone have a solution? I hear it works for real Intel Macs.

Can anyone let me know if native resolution with the Dell 24" is possible (1920x1200).

I know it is using an integrated graphics card (like the Intel 950) - but will it be possible if I get a X1600xt graphics card?

I'm thinking of getting the Asus X1600xt Silent as that appears to be the least troublesome one.

Thanks for any advice :))

I have the 24 inch dell, damn it's nice.

Funny thing is when I first got into computers I have a 14 inch CRT and thought the last thing I would EVER upgrade would be the monitor, "after all do you really need a bigger monitor, you can see it all right there" LOL

You will love it.

• 2 weeks later...

ummm I hope you didn't get the Dell 2407WFP both the 2007WFP and 2407WFP have severe banding issues. I am guessing you didn't know suggest researching it.

I have a 2005FPW I got for $350 :-)

2005FPW and 2405FPW had backlight bleeding issues which were never really fixed you had to keep sending them back till you got a good one or fix it urself. now there new line has banding issues which I'd say probably can't be fixed by you or them.

If you could I would try to go with the 3007WFP as it doens't have either of these problems ALSO Apple sells the 30'' cheaper than dells.

another quick note Apple has I think a 23-24'' Cinema display which is good

2005FPW and 2405FPW had backlight bleeding issues which were never really fixed you had to keep sending them back till you got a good one or fix it urself.

On a related note, I spent both my 2005FPW's back to Dell (do to a streaking/fading type of discoloration on both) and got two refurbished ones under Dell's "Advanced Exchange" program (which means Dell ships the replacement panels first and pays DHL to picks up the returns).

My "new" refurbished panels seem to be brigther than the ones I sent back and also seem to have largely solved the backlight bleeding from the edges/corners problem as well (which never really bothered me that much).

• 4 weeks later...

dell 24 inch is an excellent monitor except i have a problem with the resolution. I have a sapphire x1600 agp video card connected vga mode(no dvi).In windoze i get the full 1920x1200 in vga mode but in osx, my max resoultion is 1600x1200 using boris method and neophus installer(thanx gentlemen). my question is there anything i can do to get my full resolution in osx.

thanx

• 4 weeks later...
ummm I hope you didn't get the Dell 2407WFP both the 2007WFP and 2407WFP have severe banding issues. I am guessing you didn't know suggest researching it.

I have a 2005FPW I got for $350 :-)

2005FPW and 2405FPW had backlight bleeding issues which were never really fixed you had to keep sending them back till you got a good one or fix it urself. now there new line has banding issues which I'd say probably can't be fixed by you or them.

If you could I would try to go with the 3007WFP as it doens't have either of these problems ALSO Apple sells the 30'' cheaper than dells.

another quick note Apple has I think a 23-24'' Cinema display which is good

I just contacted Dell today to exchange my LCD for an LCD with the new firmware that corrects banding (rev A03). To be honest though, the average person wouldn't notice the banding unless they were doing some designing with gradients. The banding is annoying, but not as annoying as it sounds. I'm sure there are people that are not even aware of it. I didn't figure it out until working with gradients in Photoshop. For a week or two, I thought it was a messed up photoshop setting. I read there are still a few other problems present in A03, but nothing I am too concerned about. Dell is good about RMAing, and I will probably RMA the LCD after each firmware revision. The bonus is that you have 30 days to ship back the old LCD, so you can have about 2 weeks of 24" Dual Display fun.

About the bleeding... I have never had any bleeding. In fact, the backlight is excellent. At my school we have a lab with 20 inch cinema displays, and I definitely like the Dell backlight better.