windows on a mac.... the real deal.

hzp

13 posts in this topic

I am a graphic designer by trade, and about 5 years ago abanoned my Imac for the world of PC's. I'm in need of becoming more mobile, and have been planning on a laptop, and I've got it stuck in my head that with this windows-on-a-mac thing, I could go back to the wonderful world of apple.

First: I should say that I have no interest in running the Mac OS. I was a fan of classic 9x, and haven't liked the interface since. i'm a happy gal in windows, so is it possible to not install the OS and just run windows? (i did read through everything here and it seems vista makes it hard to run dual boot.. so maybe?) otherwise it does seem that you can only partition a certain amt for windows for it to work.

Second: why bother buying a mac if i'm just going to run windows? two things, first, the macbook pro screen is much better than anything in the pc world, and i really do need this to be a completely mobile workstation for me. also, a lot of this has to do with my stubborness over new software. if i'm about to drop 4k on a computer, it makes me cranky to have to spend an additional 1500 on new software when i already own perfectly good versions of them now.

Here are my concerns: when I went into the apple store, they actually called it blasphemy that i wanted to run windows on it. I just wanted to see a machine running it,try it out. this was last week, well after the commercials touting such had hit the air. considering this is where i'd be bringing said mac for repair, has the experience been that they handle support of windows on their machines?

second, i guess i stupidly assumed that if you had installed windows, everything worked like windows. the right click, the recognizing of CDs, etc. now i read about all these hacks to make things like right click functionality. what sorts of things should i be concerned with? will i still be able to get drivers, and plug ins and shareware, etc? will i be able to plug in a new camera and have windows grab the driver for me? should i expect any other hardware or software issues?

lastly, having had a pc for a few years, i've gotten decent at troubleshooting. you know, something goes wrong with windows, i can patch it or reinstall from the disc, or update, etc. how does this work on a mac? once it goes bad, is it BAD, and you need a complete reinstall?

are my expectations unreasonable? i plan to run your standard graphics programs, the adobe suite, office, firefox, skype, aim, etc. My files are often huge, hefty things so buying a mac and then only being able to partition part of it for windows would suck. i want the power!

it feels like everyone i talk to is either a mac fantatic (just buy it, i'm sure you'll be using only mac OS within a week!) or anti-mac (why bother if you're going to run windows?). I'd really like to hear ACTUAL accounts from users running windows and their advice on this purchase. i've scoured the web, i know my options, and i've done my research.

sorry so long! thanks everyone for your responses...

I run windows on my macbook in boot camp and most of the time it runs perfect. The only exception is to understand that bootcamp is in beta stages i.e. lack of drivers for some devices. If you would like full support in bootcamp then youll have to wait for leapord.

It's funny, because you get a Mac so you don't have to run windows...

Ehh, to each his own.

well, heres the thing. as much as I love a good mac, the sad reality is that its a PC world. and in order for me to run my business, i gotta work within it. I want the best of both worlds, but absolutely cannot sacrifice windows to get it.

You know you don't make very good decisions do you?

First you buy a mac to run just Windows. This isn't smart, since you are running a notebook drivers for the track pad are jumpy not like a normal notebook. there is also no right click

second, Apple is a that designs its hardware for its software. so things aren't going to work right. Plus your using beta software as a way to use the main OS. There could be real problems with this.

EDIT: I R Continue

Third, IT IS A BETA. If you really wanted to use just Windows on your mac. Hey fine with me. But if you only have windows installed it may be challenging to get OS X running again don't expect it to work. If you want just Windows I would advise you to wait till Leopard comes out. because please, its a beta!

thank you. I'm aware its a beta, and infact, DO plan on waiting for leopard, assuming it makes an entrance prior to December (which latest reports say no).

All I was asking for was some advice. Your very good advice would be a lot more digestible if you weren't such an ass in its delivery.

thanks!

Being a fellow graphic designer I hear you on some of your points that you make. I too was very sad to have to re-purchase a lot of software for OS X that I already own for Windows. However, I chose to make the transition and I now own a MacBook Pro and run both OS X and Windows on this machine. Reasons for purchasing it were mostly for OS X since I find I design better inside it. This is coming from someone who has worked in Window based OSs since Windows 95 and has only had the pleasure of using an Apple for 3 years. I am much more savvy when it comes to Windows then I am in my usability for OS X but I am learning what I didn't know quickly. That was enough of the background and on to my opinions and experiences with Windows on a MacBook Pro.

#1 Just Windows:

While I can't say much about running only windows on the machine since I don't and have no intention in doing. I will say that my 15gig partition for windows is enough for me in what uses it give to it. Basically, I game on the windows side and sync my PDA there since my iPAQ isn't supported in OS X.

#2 The Windows Factor:

a. Apple will not support your windows operating system. Hardware yes, if you choose to run only windows you are either calling Microsoft about the problem (good luck on this one) or nothing at all.

b. You will have to install "hacks" and re-worked drivers to get a lot of the functionality you need back into windows that are missing and some don't have a fix. Double-click with track pad, bluetooth not working right, the Function Keys not working, built-in webcam not working, and Windows blue screening on me whenever I try to access my camera. It is definitely far from ideal and while I use key remap and a mighty mouse most of the time for the right click and scroll, the negatives right now are overpowering the positives.

#3 I have the Adobe CS suite running on my windows partition. Also installed and running are MS Office, the Mozilla Suite, skype (without webcam), Trillian, and so on. I am only working with a Boot Camp Partition of 75g for Mac OS X and 15g for Windows XP. I do most of my designing and such in OS X since I prefer that OS for my design work. However, it is very laggy since Adobe won't get off there duffs and get Universal Applications out for both their CS suite and their "Macromedia" Suite. (We won't see those in the design world till sometime around January with their new versions. Something I feel is close to intolerable)

So certain hardware functionality aside I see better performance when using the Adobe CS in the windows OS.

In conclusion with all this things in mind I would strongly advice against your choice of buying a MacBook Pro to run Windows Only. It is, at least right now until Boot Camp comes out of Beta, a very hard road and one I would not have chosen had curiosity not been there and me being such a gaming addict. If the screen is your only real reason for choosing the Apple, which is really the only thing you can't get (and for way less) in the PC world, I would say get a Cinematic Screen from Apple for your PC at your desk and do your color checking there. It would be less hassle in the long run. Well that is my opinion anyway, good luck on whatever path you choose. =D

P.S. If you have any further questions I would be happy to answer them as best as I can.

Thank you. that was really an incredibly helpful answer.

I actually have an apple cinema screen for my home PC. its great. However, I am often mobile for a few weeks at a time and for that purpose need something better than an LCD pc screen.

VERY interesting about CS. I've heard that from a few people, actually.

So, it seems to me, I'm hearing from a lot of people that the key here is to wait for Leopard, which was already my plan, more or less, yes?

• 2 weeks later...

My advice would be if you want a computer to only run windows, then buy a computer that's built for windows.

Also, the heat from the MacBooks should be a huge deterrant. From personal experience I'd say a Turion 64, or even better, a Turion 64 X2, is a great mobile processor. VERY low heat, and great battery life.

www.mwave.com

You can customize a notebook there, or browse a multitude of pre-configured options.

HP / Compaq also lets you customize to order from their site.

My advice would be if you want a computer to only run windows, then buy a computer that's built for windows.

Also, the heat from the MacBooks should be a huge deterrant. From personal experience I'd say a Turion 64, or even better, a Turion 64 X2, is a great mobile processor. VERY low heat, and great battery life.

www.mwave.com

You can customize a notebook there, or browse a multitude of pre-configured options.

HP / Compaq also lets you customize to order from their site.

I agree with this guy totially..... :)

So after all of this, I have indeed decided not to return to macs. for one, i need to purchase by Nov and leopard won't be here until spring, and second, it all just seems so darn fussy. my two real holdouts, the 7200 rpm and expanded resolution display were both answered by alienware.

thanks all!

So after all of this, I have indeed decided not to return to macs. for one, i need to purchase by Nov and leopard won't be here until spring, and second, it all just seems so darn fussy. my two real holdouts, the 7200 rpm and expanded resolution display were both answered by alienware.

thanks all!

congratulations and enjoy the dellienware :) let us know how you like it when you get it

max