What's the deal with ACPI?

Dragoneye_XP

44 posts in this topic

I am on a Dell e1505 but I have tried both old and new bios and none work. What is really odd is that I had it installing once but it would not boot. After toying with it, I was no longer able to get it to boot into the Mac partition at all so I deleted it and was going to start over and that is when it stopped booting off the DVD.

I am on a Dell e1505 but I have tried both old and new bios and none work. What is really odd is that I had it installing once but it would not boot. After toying with it, I was no longer able to get it to boot into the Mac partition at all so I deleted it and was going to start over and that is when it stopped booting off the DVD.

I looked up "dell e1505 acpi" on google, and some other people had problems with ACPI. Not major, just the occasional blue screen in windows. One suggested that they turn off dual core and/or speedstep.

and i found this:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph..._Inspiron_E1505

• 4 weeks later...
I looked up "dell e1505 acpi" on google, and some other people had problems with ACPI. Not major, just the occasional blue screen in windows. One suggested that they turn off dual core and/or speedstep.

and i found this:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph..._Inspiron_E1505

There is no problem in Windows with ACPI :2cents: If you turn off duel core and disable speedsteping your left with half a processor thats clocked to nothing :compress:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm noob in Mac OS X installation and I tried JaS 10.4.8 reseeded.

The installation worked smoothly, not problems at all.

I installed the combo patches, sigmatel, ich8 and mkifs (I believe that's the name) and had problems on booting, IOPCIFamily kernel panic.

When I tried again with semthex, I got kernel panic on ACPI.

My computer is a Sony SZ280P which has:

1. Core Duo T2500 @ 2.0GHz

2. 2GB RAM DDR2

3. 120GB SATA Hard Drive

4. IPW3945

5. Bluetooth

6. Sigmatel audio

7. EDGE Modem

8. Nvidia Go7200

I can't change ACPI and dual core options on the BIOS.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

LaSombra

• 3 weeks later...
same problem here with 10.4.8 and kernels 8.8.1 (semthex and mikfi), but 10.4.6 (kernel 8.4.1) works fine.

Same Situation here with a Toshiba Satellite A100-775

EDIT: Solved by a reinstall of 10.4.8. on a blank disk.

Edited by putzi

ok, solved to a certain extent. I reinstalled with -x -v platform=x86pc . in the install I took out the extra languages and let it do a full disk verify. Now I got the spinning lines, but blank screen after that. Dunno why.

UPDATE: Get this error 4 times in -v mode: Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.appleUSBUHCI

Edited by jamalaball

• 7 months later...

Well... I've tried both 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 now and neither one of them boot because they give me the ACPI error. So unless there's a way to upgradeo 10.4.1 to 10.4.9, or there's a version os OSX86 somewhere that ACPI works in and I just haven't found it yet, then I think I am screwed...

hmmm seems to me I had this problem and what I did was t go into my ram and drop the speed down one click in bios went from 400 mzh ram which itis to 333 and never had that problem after that. i hope this helps you

This is the motherboard I have:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...cname=c00100539

The ACPI implementation is not very good as far as I know.

I cannot turn it off in my BIOS nor can I change things like RAM/clock speed, etc.

Yeah, my comp sucks. :)

This could be the problem, 'cause ACPI usually doesn't even work for me in Linux and I have to use APM.

What changed between 10.4.1 and 10.4.2 and up made things not work anymore?