What's the deal with ACPI?

Dragoneye_XP

44 posts in this topic

How can I get 10.6 to work without ACPI? Is there a driver needed or something because 10.1 worked perfectly. But 10.3 and newer give me the "Unable to find a driver for this platform: ACPI" panic.

In VMware, they will all work, install, and boot, but I noticed that if you turn off VMware's ACPI support (by adding acpi.present="FALSE"), you will also get the panic. How it to work on my PC?

Basic Comp. Info:

Model: Compaq Presario S6104NX

BIOS: Pheonix AWARD BIOS v3.26

Processor: Intel Pentium 4@2.8GHz

• 1 month later...

Isn't the deal that the ACPI driver really isn't on the install DVD? I looked and the install DVD doesn't even have an extensions folder, just extensions.mkext. I suppose what one could do is shadow mount the dmg/iso and copy it on there along with any other useful extensions. I know how to do shadow mounts, but I think something might need to be done to the extensions.mkext on there in order for the system to actually load the ACPI driver. I don't feel like risking a bunch of blank DVDs testing this theory until I've seen if someone replies who might actually know how to set it all up.

Guest bikedude880

Have you tried disabling it in your BIOS? (hopefully you can access that feature.) Other than that, right now I am out of ideas. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Asus A8N-VM CSM, and every time i tried to install with the DVD i would get that error no matter what options i tried to enable or disable.

UNTIL, i checked the ACPI for my motherboard, and i found alot of people on Linux were having problems with it due to the fact ACPI was not correctly implemented. I updated to the newest BIOS, and the error went away (Asus fixed it). So i suggest you find the latest BIOS update, and if it still doesn't work email the manufacturer until they do something, which is what a few did for my mobo.

good luck