can I delete kexts in S/L/E that got installed by default I I will never use?

terramir

7 posts in this topic

can I just delete kexts that are not really used by my system, well I see reference to them when I boot verbose, but hello I have no deskjet, neither have the desire either.

So the question is can I delete those kext safely, (actually I'd just move em to folder /system/library/unused. Just in case, but that should stop them from even be mentioned right?

Basically what I'm saying is which ones can a safely delete and where should I watch out for dependencies?

Your $.02 welcome below please.

terramir

can I just delete kexts that are not really used by my system, well I see reference to them when I boot verbose, but hello I have no deskjet, neither have the desire either.

So the question is can I delete those kext safely, (actually I'd just move em to folder /system/library/unused. Just in case, but that should stop them from even be mentioned right?

Basically what I'm saying is which ones can a safely delete and where should I watch out for dependencies?

Your $.02 welcome below please.

terramir

After deleting kexts,plugins,bundles rebuild your mkext with a kext utility or the deleted ones are still there .

Most kexts' purpose can be identified by their names :

If you have no Nvidia Card you can safely delete/move the following kext,plugin and bundles :

GeForce**.* & NVDA**.* NV40** is for Geforce 6xxx series.

If you have no ATI : all ATI***.** , X2000 kext is for the HD series,

If you have no Intel GMA integrated graphics : all AppleIntelGMA***.**

If you dont use RAID or SCSI cards ( this does not affect AHCI usage in normal mode ) :

ACard*.kext ( scsi cards ) , AppleRAID**-kext ( OSX ability to use two hdds as one )

If you have no ipod touch/iphone/ Apple TV / other Apple mobile device:

Itunesphone**.ApplemobiledDevice** AppleIpod**

kexts with AppleRISC** , and AppleNVcore99** in name is powerpc ( the old 1999 G4s ) only, useless on Intel installs. These kexts are in Leopard 10.5.x only as the last PPC OSX.

AppleCPUThermal/IntelCPUpowermanagement is not needed when you use Voodoopower.

LogitechForceFeedback and ImmersionForceFeedback are some sort of special game Joysticks, I have deleted them and my simple USB Joystick still works.

Always backup move them to maybe /unneeded, delete mkext in S/L , reboot with -f -v - if it boots normal you really dont need that kext and can delete it permanently.

Note : apple updates, itunes updates will install new kexts, you have to delete them again.

Note #2 : Some kexts have a plugin folder with also other kexts inside the main kext, this can also be slimmed.

The fewer kexts you have the faster OSX boots, thats the only effect of all the hassle.

After deleting kexts,plugins,bundles rebuild your mkext with a kext utility or the deleted ones are still there .

The fewer kexts you have the faster OSX boots, thats the only effect of all the hassle.

well ya that is the whole goal of the project :P

boot faster streamline my machine

Thanks your post did help :)

terramir

OS X only loads and caches the kernel extensions that are needed on your system.

Therefore, unless you boot with -f (ignore caches) all the time for some reason, deleting files from System/Library/Extensions should not make OS X boot faster.

Run System Profiler and click 'Extensions' in the left pane to see which extensions are loaded.

OS X only loads and caches the kernel extensions that are needed on your system.

Therefore, unless you boot with -f (ignore caches) all the time for some reason, deleting files from System/Library/Extensions should not make OS X boot faster.

Run System Profiler and click 'Extensions' in the left pane to see which extensions are loaded.

until I get this system rock solid I'll be booting with -f alot LOL, also -s and -v are being used alot LOL.

But seem like your right only really makes a difference in two cases, booting with -f or rebuilding the kext caches, noticed that goes faster as well for some reason. Maybe macOS checks each extension present for dependecies :S

oh well anyways my hacks are getting faster by the month anyways (every month new pieces to make faster.

well that's all folks for now

terramir

• 4 months later...

Most kexts' purpose can be identified by their names :

If you have no Nvidia Card you can safely delete/move the following kext,plugin and bundles :

GeForce**.* & NVDA**.* NV40** is for Geforce 6xxx series.

If you have no ATI : all ATI***.** , X2000 kext is for the HD series,

If you have no Intel GMA integrated graphics : all AppleIntelGMA***.**

If you dont use RAID or SCSI cards ( this does not affect AHCI usage in normal mode ) :

ACard*.kext ( scsi cards ) , AppleRAID**-kext ( OSX ability to use two hdds as one )

If you have no ipod touch/iphone/ Apple TV / other Apple mobile device:

Itunesphone**.ApplemobiledDevice** AppleIpod**

kexts with AppleRISC** , and AppleNVcore99** in name is powerpc ( the old 1999 G4s ) only, useless on Intel installs. These kexts are in Leopard 10.5.x only as the last PPC OSX.

AppleCPUThermal/IntelCPUpowermanagement is not needed when you use Voodoopower.

LogitechForceFeedback and ImmersionForceFeedback are some sort of special game Joysticks, I have deleted them and my simple USB Joystick still works.

Always backup move them to maybe /unneeded, delete mkext in S/L , reboot with -f -v - if it boots normal you really dont need that kext and can delete it permanently.

Note : apple updates, itunes updates will install new kexts, you have to delete them again.

Note #2 : Some kexts have a plugin folder with also other kexts inside the main kext, this can also be slimmed.

ehhh yeah it's time to make a kext cache again, and I now use software raid so more specifically which ones of those can I delete this time, takes me over a minute to boot right now and the wierd thing is that I had to delete the kext chache I had placed in extra, with some software, because I did a bunch of updates ;) now at 10.6.6 at least on my snow emergency partition main snow I'm working on right now, but5 I want to eleiminate the kext cache files and redo the whole thing what software was that again that can make a kext chache of both the extra and S/L/E?

terramir