Overclocking a Pentium D 805 and a Asus P5LD2-VM

bpeugh

24 posts in this topic

So people are saying that it is possible to overclock a Pentium D 805 using a Asus P5LD2-VM or P5LD2 up around 3.3 and I was wondering what people's experinces with this were or if there was a better board. Thanks. I am thinking of getting both of these and a Zalman CNPS9500.

Which is great except for the fact that I don't know if their board will be compatible with OS X and probably won't be and they didn't use any that are.

Hey - the wiki is your friend here. 10.4.6 motherboards that they mentioned are in there :)

Asus P5WD2 works a treat, I thought. Usual issues with Raid, and the sound.

Gigabyte 8I955X - works with the usual Lan, raid and audio hacks.

I'd favour the Asus myself...

Get that Zalman ordered :)

//R

• 2 weeks later...
Got the D 805 and the P5LD2-VM with the Zalman but can't get past the 10%. I think it is because my RAM is CAS 5.

No, its because your board sucks. The -VM cant clock worth {censored}. Ive got the P5LD2 plain, and mine runs stable at 4.4Ghz (Vcore mod needed!). Tom's hardware couldnt do it, because they wouldnt know what a good overclock was if it bit them in the ass :)

ive got a toms hardware link you may want to read:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/

They got it, with watercooling to 4.4ghz

They did it with an insanely high amount of Vcore too. Vcore that wasnt needed. Id put that chip to last about 2 weeks like they were running it. The people at Tom's are idiots :D

Okay can't get past the 2.95 which is 148. My setup right now uses an Asus P5LD2-VM. I have a ThermalTake 430W PSU. Only 2x80 GB SATA HDs attached, a floppy, a pci firewire card, and a Pioneer 111D optical drive. The case is a full ATX tower that is mostly a steel mesh with 4x80mm fans on different sides. An of course the big Zalman ontop of the CPU. So I don't think it is drawing too much power for the PSU.

I think it is the RAM. I am using 2 low end Kingston sticks of 512MB and a Crucial one that is rated 5-5-5-15. Before I changed the RAM in the BIOS to 5-5-5-15 it was reading 5-4-4-15. What should I change it to or should I buy new RAM?

Me, I would be happy being able to push it to 3.2-3.33-3.4 and would stop there.

And for the P5LD2 owner who are overclocking, are you even running OSX because I have PMed many of you and haven't found a one yet. So if you aren't, stop posting to that fact that you are just doing it on Windows because that really isn't helpful on this list! If you are, what video card are you using because it is going to cost me another $160 to get one that is compatible beyond that card if it truly works better.

Okay can't get past the 2.95 which is 148. My setup right now uses an Asus P5LD2-VM. I have a ThermalTake 430W PSU. Only 2x80 GB SATA HDs attached, a floppy, a pci firewire card, and a Pioneer 111D optical drive. The case is a full ATX tower that is mostly a steel mesh with 4x80mm fans on different sides. An of course the big Zalman ontop of the CPU. So I don't think it is drawing too much power for the PSU.

I think it is the RAM. I am using 2 low end Kingston sticks of 512MB and a Crucial one that is rated 5-5-5-15. Before I changed the RAM in the BIOS to 5-5-5-15 it was reading 5-4-4-15. What should I change it to or should I buy new RAM?

Me, I would be happy being able to push it to 3.2-3.33-3.4 and would stop there.

And for the P5LD2 owner who are overclocking, are you even running OSX because I have PMed many of you and haven't found a one yet. So if you aren't, stop posting to that fact that you are just doing it on Windows because that really isn't helpful on this list! If you are, what video card are you using because it is going to cost me another $160 to get one that is compatible beyond that card if it truly works better.

It really doesnt matter what youre running, since OC'ing deals more with the BIOS, not OS itself.

If I were you, I would do a few things

1. Ditch the PSU, it cant support an 805 at anything over 3.3 really.

2. Dont mix the Kingston and Crucial. One or the other...

3. Let the SPD determine the clocks for the ram, dont try to set them yourself unless you really know what youre doing

Your problem is maybe not only your RAM. In this forum are already some threads discussing OC issues with P5LD2-VM.

1. Its not the best board for overclocking. Forget passing 166MHz.

2. Go to manual mode and set PCI Express frequency to 116 or 118 or something like this. (Its only a bug, your GMA is not using PCIE anyway.)

3. The RAM Frequency is wrong calculated. Install Windows and check real frequency or multiplier when overclocking so you can avoid get breaked by your RAM and CL5 is not that bad, you loose max. 2%. DDR2 and Intel don't need ultra short latency.

4. If you get corrupted VGA-Pictur, try slower RAM Clock, its the GMA.

5. If it isn't stable give him some VCore and don't waste your time tuning the ram-latency its not worth.

Cheers

Well, I did get it set up okay except for the heat. I used the info the guy had from the other thread where he used a P5LD2-VM DH and it seems to rum pretty good except for the excess heat which is about 46-49C now. I have the prescribed Zalman in there with a 80mm in the front, on the side, on top and in the back and didn't put the rear plate in for the mobo so it could vent better. I guess I am going to have to look at those fans better tomorrow when I take it apart. I can run it at the specs below in idle forever it seems but only for about an hour and a half under duress. Any suggestions? As for overclocking it, about 3.3 does me good anyways. 3.4 might be nice but I am in my happy zone and I just bought the power supply so I want to at least wait a month before I buy another and get the heat problem under control. As for the mem, it was a piece given to me so I will use it until I can afford to swap it out which should be in the next few weeks.

CPU 165

PCI freq 118

PCI clock 33.3

mem volt 1.904

cpu vcore 1.3375

And I just set the RAM back to 5-4-4-15 and it seems to be doing fine. But really can't adjust any of the others without it not working properly. Saw that newegg also has a ThermalTake 600W on sale for $75 after a $40 rebate unless anyone else could reccomend a better PSU in the same price ballpark.

And I just set the RAM back to 5-4-4-15 and it seems to be doing fine. But really can't adjust any of the others without it not working properly. Saw that newegg also has a ThermalTake 600W on sale for $75 after a $40 rebate unless anyone else could reccomend a better PSU in the same price ballpark.

Go with an OCZ, or a Fortron

Really didn't notice any difference and Xbench didn't show me any from going from 2.66 to 3.3 on the 805. But then I am new to PC stuff and overclocking so I thought it would. Heat is kinda bad so I might just turn the freq back down again. What does overclocking really do? I don't play video games and really don't use the Windows OS so what real benefit is there?

Do you think you have a heat problem if your CPU runs at 46-49°C ?

Thats normal for PentiumD. You have a heat problem if your Pentium D is over 70°C.

For example (I know its a Core Duo not a Pentium D) my Mac Book Pro runs at 65° when PSU attached and doing nothing. If doing something it goes up to 85°C.

If your coolers are not too loud, close the case and forget about it. That are normal Pentium temps.

I just find that it is a big jump up from where it was 39-40C at 2.93GHz to 46-50C at 3.29GHz. But if that is normal/standard, okay. Just used to working on Macs and if a minor change produced that much heat, then something else was up.

Older Macs are hot too. I used working on G4 Dual 1 GHz, in the summer it reaches 65°C and is loud like hell. Apple used crappy cooling fans.

Now I have about 48-50°C with 3,82GHz instead of 3,0 and it was a jump of 10°C. I think to remember but i didn't measure it, because the machine ran only a couple of hours @ stock speed :gun:

The machine is rockstable, running 24/7 and with better the feeling and speed than with the f*** expensive MBP.

I took my processor down a notch to 162/3.23GHz and it was able to run all night converting a DVD to mp4 and was only in the 42-45C range so I think I will leave it there. Now I just have to work on that audio problem.

I have an 805 and an Asus, but its not the same board, a P5ND2. Its really easy to overclock.

Mines at 3.8 and never goes above 35c, idle is usually around 25c.

Can't get UDMA working though, had the SATA working once but can't remember what I did. Sound and LAN work with no changes.

Is yours the SLI model then? It looks nice but I was trying to make a cheap box. That and I want onboard video right now as paying for a $160 video card is a bit much. Waiting until the quad processor chips come out early next year. I want to work in OSX with SATA. Only had to edit for the audio which wasn't too bad and to disble the beam sych and enable quarrtz 2d extreme. Get about 103 on xbench which is a jump from 70.

Had to set mine to 162/3.23GHz. Still hitting around 46C which is fine but I don't think the board can take more because 165/3.29GHz tends to wig it out a bit. Once I put DRAM Frequency back to auto it actually recognized the ram as PC5300 which is nice. Put the PCI Clock Synch back to default and put the CPU Vcore voltage to auto. Seems to be working fine and all so that is good.

Chip was $101 new, board $56 refurb, psu was $25, case and SATAs were $50 used, traded for the RAM, Fan was $54, Pioneer 111D was $37 and had some arctic silver, floppy, cables and a firewire card left over. Not bad for $323. Sure beats $865 for a Duo Core Mini and puts about 35 points on Xbench above it. And is cheap to upgrade. Can edit video, play some games, rip DVDs, and still left me enough over to afford a 17" LCD for still under $500.

Righteous

Actually went down to 3.16GHz because it would choke every so often on something. I think my Xbench dropped from 103 to 102. Also dropped the temps so that running it all night encoding video only put it at about 43C.

I had almost the same setup just with a P5LD2-V motherboard. And my overclocking ended at FSB 164. Was not what i wanted from it so i returned it right away. Put my old P4 521 2.8ghz CPU back inn and could Overclock it to 3.8 easely. Score comes to also 103 with a single CPU!