How to use a computer to host a web site?

31 posts in this topic

Okay... I think I have done an adiquate job answering most of your questions and there is no reason for you not to be able to search the information on your own. If you can't google "how to change permission os x ", you should quit while you're ahead.

good luck..

• 1 month later...
How to host a webpage using OS X:

1. Make sure you have a fast internet connection (like cable or DSL) and leave it on

2. Create your webpage using whatever you choose (even Word!)

3. Save site in /users/(your user name here)/sites folder

4. Go to the Sharing pane of System preferences and activate personal web sharing. Make sure to record the numbers OS X tells you (because that is the site address)

5. There is no step 5

I have a problem, the apache says, this error, 403 forbidden you don`t have permission to access this server file, the apache documents says something about the files permission but i check the folders on /sites/pagename/ all the permission are readable and writetable.

i want to have a dedicated server on my mac, i have a ibook g3 800mhz, and the web file sharing works fine.. i don`t know if the problem it`s the macos x86 10.4.5 have errors.

any help will be great

i`m using.

-macos x86 10.4.5

-intel 915g board

-pentium 4 3.0ghz socket 775

-tricom ethernet.

-1 gb ddr_ram 400.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are running windows then I might suggest this WAMP- http://sourceforge.net/projects/netserver/ - It's called netserver. I am new to the server thing too and so far it has been a trouble free experience for me. I might add a little tip. When you do your port forwarding, make sure to do so on both your LAN router as well as any DSL router your ISP may have installed in your home. This was my biggest source of my frustration when I was trying to set up my server but once it was sorted out it was smooth sailing.