Speed relative to PPC Mac?

kroeger

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have built a system similar to the Dev System except my processor is 3.4ghz and I have 2gb ram. For those of you who have a real Mac as well as an Intel system how would the OSX x86 version compare in overall speed i.e. say about the speed of a Mac mini or iMac etc.

Although my system is fairly snappy, if the real thing was significantly faster i would be tempted to get one.

My specs:

Intel D915GEVL

Prescott 650 3.4ghz

2gb 533mhz DDR2

HP ADD2 DVI-D Adapter Card

Samsung Spinpoint 200gb SATA Hard Disk

Pioneer DVR110BK

Hi,

I have built a system similar to the Dev System except my processor is 3.4ghz and I have 2gb ram. For those of you who have a real Mac as well as an Intel system how would the OSX x86 version compare in overall speed i.e. say about the speed of a Mac mini or iMac etc.

Although my system is fairly snappy, if the real thing was significantly faster i would be tempted to get one.

My specs:

Intel D915GEVL

Prescott 650 3.4ghz

2gb 533mhz DDR2

HP ADD2 DVI-D Adapter Card

Samsung Spinpoint 200gb SATA Hard Disk

Pioneer DVR110BK

Take a run down to an Apple store if you can. Better to experience yourself than judge from others.

I find my 915 system faster -most- of the time in how it feels compared to any Mac I've used. Although the dual G5 systems feel pretty fast, too. But, if you run Photoshop or anything like that, even a mini is noticeably faster (to me). And, can't really play any games of course.

I use to work on a PM G5 2x2G, a PB 12''/1,5G and I know my Inspiron 8200 which works as well as it could with osx86. The point is, even if the GUI on a developer system seems snappier, you can't seriously work with it. The OS won't be updated in the future, though it's impressively stable, it's not stable enough for a working OS (well, if you're used to Windows, maybe :blink:) and it is and it will allways be illegal. And, Yes, my G5 is faster in ANY situation. There're things (like e.g. opening Documents) in which my I8200 can compete to my PB on the other hand (But working on a system means more than that).

What makes me wonder is people are considering a hacked dev. system as an alternative to the real thing. A mac system is full of additional little gimmicks which make it worth buying. OSX86 is a real funny thing to play with, but that's it. My opinion. If you have the money to buy a real Mac and if you like OSX86, go buy one, you won't be disappointed, no matter if you buy a PPC today or an intel tomorrow.

Sack

When I run XBench using Rosetta (=PPC mode) on my Athlon 3800+, I get a CPU score of 30. On my 1.25GHz Mac Mini, I get 45. So even a high end x86 system runs PPC apps much slower than a 1.25 low-end G4 Mac system. Although x86 compiled apps are blazing fast (the user interface and boot-up is really much-much faster than my Mac Mini), PPC apps like Photoshop or M$ Office are really slow, and practically unusable for everyday work. But probably Apple will finetune Rosetta, and by the time the new Intel Macs arrive, they will be able to run PPC apps fast enough.