xgl on mac

7 posts in this topic

Hi to all!

I know that is possible to intall kde or gnome under macosx.

For you, is possible to install kde or gnome and xgl? There are problem with libraries?

Wath do you think?

I think that's possible to do...

the only issue is getting xorg to compile under osx. Its doable, but theres a bit of stuffing around. I would classify this as being on a parr with compiling wine with opengl under osx. Its totally doable, theoreticly not dificult at all, but when you start down the path you realise its nowhere near as simple as it seems. I am dead keen to get this working tho, I just know im going to kill my kde install when i try to change xservers. :poster_oops:

KDE works on Macs. I use it. Dunno 'bout GNOME, because it smells like feet.

Xgl couldn't run under OS X properly the way things are now. Heck, it doesn't work well enough on Linux and the bunch to even consider it. Better to just try to rewrite something compiz-like for OS X using the provided API's for window-warping and such.

How does the xgl server and compiz work on bsd? You will have to stop aqua from running unless you do some major hacking. I don't think it is easily done. And with driver restraints, I would't even begin if you do not have a fully supported ATI card.

Though a major task, a worthy project... with an organized team. Imagine Aqua with compiz.

Maybe a 10.5.2 easter egg will run amok, who knows?

Looks like someone should get on it if they want to make a few bucks, though. Or even better, make it free and get eternal praise!