Intel X3100 HDMI out

Ionlab

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have read a lot of articles about the X3100 and HDMI output. The consensus is that this cannot work.

I have an Si2636 with iATKOS 10.5.7 -> 10.5.8 and all the updates. Everything works brilliantly (Switched the wifi card to an apple extreme), this is the last thing to get it fully working.

When I plug my projector and press Fn+F10 to switch displays the main display becomes garbled and nothing is shown on the projector.

If I boot with the projector attached I get 1024x768 resolution (both in the laptop screen and the projector) from the BIOS screen up until I get to the Gray screen with the apple logo and then the projector shows no signal and the laptop screen is normal. No other displays are detected so no way to change displays through OSX. BUT if I switch resolution to the main display to 1024x768 and then press Fn+10 to change displays the laptop screen goes garbled but now I see the gray screen with the apple logo on the projector but nothing happens from there on...

Any clues .... a driver that I might have missed/need .... any modifications that may help.

This is the info from Profiler without anything attached

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

• 2 weeks later...
Can you help me for qe/ci of Intel GMA X3100?

How can works?

I have an Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with x3100 and I did a vanilla Snow Leopard installation using and install kit I found on the internet for the 1525. I was able to update to 10.6.4 without much hassle. The kexts required for the x3100 are the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and associated bundles.

If you're having problems getting QE/CI you can check if it's working by launching Chess and seeing of the board rotates as is should. It should also be shown normally in System Profiler as QE supported, and you can check QE with Quartz Extreme Checker 1.2. The X3100 should work fine natively because the MacBook Air has the X3100.

• 4 weeks later...
I have an Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with x3100 and I did a vanilla Snow Leopard installation using and install kit I found on the internet for the 1525. I was able to update to 10.6.4 without much hassle. The kexts required for the x3100 are the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and associated bundles.

If you're having problems getting QE/CI you can check if it's working by launching Chess and seeing of the board rotates as is should. It should also be shown normally in System Profiler as QE supported, and you can check QE with Quartz Extreme Checker 1.2. The X3100 should work fine natively because the MacBook Air has the X3100.

PLEASE!!! Share your kets wit us!!

Hi all,

I have read a lot of articles about the X3100 and HDMI output. The consensus is that this cannot work.

I have an Si2636 with iATKOS 10.5.7 -> 10.5.8 and all the updates. Everything works brilliantly (Switched the wifi card to an apple extreme), this is the last thing to get it fully working.

When I plug my projector and press Fn+F10 to switch displays the main display becomes garbled and nothing is shown on the projector.

If I boot with the projector attached I get 1024x768 resolution (both in the laptop screen and the projector) from the BIOS screen up until I get to the Gray screen with the apple logo and then the projector shows no signal and the laptop screen is normal. No other displays are detected so no way to change displays through OSX. BUT if I switch resolution to the main display to 1024x768 and then press Fn+10 to change displays the laptop screen goes garbled but now I see the gray screen with the apple logo on the projector but nothing happens from there on...

Any clues .... a driver that I might have missed/need .... any modifications that may help.

This is the info from Profiler without anything attached

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

No luck here either, have tried everything to use HDMI port. If anyone finds his way through this, please keep us posted.

• 5 weeks later...

I've tried HDMI on my m1330 with the x3100, and it doesn't work. I tried to detect displays in the prefpane but it found nothing.

I ordered an HDMI to DVI cable from amazon though, and I'll see if that works.

update: I got my HDMI to DVI cable, and I have the exact same problem as the OP.

If I boot with the projector attached I get 1024x768 resolution (both in the laptop screen and the projector) from the BIOS screen up until I get to the Gray screen with the apple logo and then the projector shows no signal and the laptop screen is normal.

My interpretation is that the BIOS has something that enables the HDMI, and that OS X can't utilize this resource correctly. I believe this may be possible to solve with a DSDT patch, but you'd need to boot Ubuntu and extract the DSDT directly from the BIOS, and then examine the DSDT for whatever the HDMI is using, and see about some type of patch for OS X. The problem here is that you'd need to have access to a newer Mac that has HDMI output, such as some of the newer Minis, or MacBook Pros, and then boot Ubuntu on at least one of these, or perhaps a couple different ones, and again, extract the Apple DSDT file, and see what Apple is using to enable the HDMI port, and then try patch your DSDT with something from the extracted Apple DSDT files so that OS X can correctly recognize the HDMI port. This won't be simple.

To extract the BIOS DSDT you must boot an Ubuntu LIVE CD/DVD and in Terminal use the command:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > /home/ubuntu/Desktop/dsdt.aml

Then use any USB device that's formatted as MBR such as a flash drive or USB HD, and transfer/copy the file on the Desktop called "dsdt.aml" to the USB drive for safe storage. To view/edit the extracted DSDT use DSDTSE in OS X. Be careful not so modify this original extracted DSDT, but rather "Save As" and keep newer modified versions separate from the originals. Since these all get the same name, you may need to use separate folders for each new modification.

As I said, I'm not certain this method will work? I don't have access to any newer Macs with HDMI ports to extract the DSDT from for comparison, so I haven't tried this myself. I don't even know what to look for, other than some entry that controls the HDMI in the real Mac, and then see how that compares to the entry that controls the HDMI in you PC, and then try to patch the PC DSDT so that it's more like the Mac so that OS X can use the HDMI port correctly. This patching could possibly be as simple as a wholesale replacement of the specific code from the Mac to the PC, but likely will require some specific tweaking that may require detailed knowledge of the exact hardware in both the Mac and the PC. Since none of the X3100 Macs have HDMI, and the Macs that do have HDMI are other video cards, this is a pretty sure sign that some intricate patching would be necessary to get the X3100 HDMI port active in OS X.

• 2 weeks later...
My interpretation is that the BIOS has something that enables the HDMI, and that OS X can't utilize this resource correctly. I believe this may be possible to solve with a DSDT patch, but you'd need to boot Ubuntu and extract the DSDT directly from the BIOS, and then examine the DSDT for whatever the HDMI is using, and see about some type of patch for OS X. The problem here is that you'd need to have access to a newer Mac that has HDMI output, such as some of the newer Minis, or MacBook Pros, and then boot Ubuntu on at least one of these, or perhaps a couple different ones, and again, extract the Apple DSDT file, and see what Apple is using to enable the HDMI port, and then try patch your DSDT with something from the extracted Apple DSDT files so that OS X can correctly recognize the HDMI port. This won't be simple.

To extract the BIOS DSDT you must boot an Ubuntu LIVE CD/DVD and in Terminal use the command:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > /home/ubuntu/Desktop/dsdt.aml

Then use any USB device that's formatted as MBR such as a flash drive or USB HD, and transfer/copy the file on the Desktop called "dsdt.aml" to the USB drive for safe storage. To view/edit the extracted DSDT use DSDTSE in OS X. Be careful not so modify this original extracted DSDT, but rather "Save As" and keep newer modified versions separate from the originals. Since these all get the same name, you may need to use separate folders for each new modification.

As I said, I'm not certain this method will work? I don't have access to any newer Macs with HDMI ports to extract the DSDT from for comparison, so I haven't tried this myself. I don't even know what to look for, other than some entry that controls the HDMI in the real Mac, and then see how that compares to the entry that controls the HDMI in you PC, and then try to patch the PC DSDT so that it's more like the Mac so that OS X can use the HDMI port correctly. This patching could possibly be as simple as a wholesale replacement of the specific code from the Mac to the PC, but likely will require some specific tweaking that may require detailed knowledge of the exact hardware in both the Mac and the PC. Since none of the X3100 Macs have HDMI, and the Macs that do have HDMI are other video cards, this is a pretty sure sign that some intricate patching would be necessary to get the X3100 HDMI port active in OS X.

Hi. I think you are on the right track. But there are a few points you might consider. Since x3100 has no sound chip. The HDMI is sharing audio with your onboard sound chip. This will make the DSDT mod even more difficult.