Snow Leopard in Acer Aspire 5745G?

BenRu

27 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

I will buy a laptop ( Acer Aspire 5745G) and I want to know if I can put hackintosh (OSX86)

Problems witch the graph? wifi?

Description:

Intel® Core i5 430M 2.26GHz (1066Mhz FSB)

RAM 6144Mb (6GB)

nVidia GeForce GT330 1024Mb

WIFI, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, WIFI IEEE 802.11b/g/n

I don't know which is the motherboard/wifi ;)

Regards :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been able to get the basic system up but two main things not working are

1) Battery Indicator (Tried AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext - Gives KP, Tried VoodooBattery.kext shows 100% and charger connected all the time).

2) Sound System (Tried VoodooHDA doesnt work OOB, Made some tweaks to PinConfig, but not successful Yet)

Right now I have shifted to Linux Ubuntu 10.04, even there I faced the above two problems. Solved them in Ubuntu by :

1) Compiling a Custom kernel with the patch : http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb/acer-...-ACPI-fix.patch. As by what I could make out it calls the _REG method before the EC device is started using (I guess some sort of initialization)

2) Using a backport package, the sound works but is identified as ALC271X before that it was identified as ALC269 (but didnt work)

Does Any know how to fix the above issues?

Thanks in advance!

Rock

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also recently bought this model, Acer Aspire 5745g (with very similar specs: RAM is 4g instead of 6 in mine).

I first tried to make a test with virtualbox to see whether it is possible to install SL on this machine (I do not know whether this is a realiable way; but anyways..), but this didn't work.

I still believe that the specs of this notebook is highly compatible with snow leopard:

- Intel core i5 - 430M (2.26 GHz, 3 MB L3 Cache)

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

- 4 GB DDR3 memory

but I could not manage to install it. Any help? Is it something to do with the BIOS settings or what?

Could someone with more expertise than me, please could you help?? :)

I have an Acer Aspire 5745G

Exact Model is Aspire 5745G-724G64Mn

Specs:

Intel Core i7 720 CPU

Geforce GT330M Video

Intel HDA Audio

4GB DDR3 RAM

640GB Sata2 HDD

I am currently posting from that exact laptop over wireless under Snow Leopard 10.6.4

I have a Kalyway 10.5.3 distro running under VMWare on my desktop PC (which runs Windows 7 64-bit)

I used the following method to install: (this method should work from any existing OSX machine, whether Real or Virtual)

Booted my Kalyway VM

Restored a retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 image to an 8GB USB thumb drive. (The DVD would be fine, but its faster from an image, so i make a dmg or iso of every OS I buy - whether windows or OSX)

Downloaded the MyHack Installer v1.1 package from http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ and ran it.

In the MyHack Installer, I chose to install to my newly restored 8GB USB Thumb Drive.

***Make sure to install the ApplePS2Controller.kext option under customize, or you will have no keyboard or trackpad during install (unless u plan on plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard)***

I then removed thumb drive from my desktop PC and plugged it into my Acer 5745G notebook.

Using the F12 boot menu prompt (pressing F12 during POST on this model brings up a menu of what drive to boot from), I selected my 8GB USB Thumb Drive, and booted from that.

This gave me a chameleon menu, with only one option - OSX Installation DVD

I Chose that, and then ran through the installation as normal, after using Disk Utility to repartition my internal hard drive as GUID scheme.

(There was no need for any boot flags, as the hardware was so similar to a MBP.

After the installation completed, I used the MyHack installer in the Extra folder on my Thumb Drive and chose to install to my internal hard drive, and rebooted.

Next I installed the 10.6.4 combo update.

Everything worked OOB except for the following:

- Keyboard and Trackpad (Used USB Keyboard and Mouse to install OSX, and after successful install, I downloaded the Voodoo PS2 package attached to bcc9's Post at this link: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,718.0.html (The very first post)

I dumped the 2 kexts in that zip (AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext) into /E/E

***Important*** Make sure to delete the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext from /E/E before putting the new files from the zip there or you will get kernel panic.

Then i ran pfix at a terminal (included in the myhack installer and installed by default) then rebooted.

On next reboot onboard keyboard and trackpad worked perfectly, including tapping, twofinger horizontal and vertical scrolling and zooming!

- onboard sound (Intel HDA) (The HDMI Audio in the video card is conflicting...)

- onboard webcam (no idea yet, that is my lowest priority)

- onboard bluetooth (it doesn't appear as if it is turned on, and the Fn-F3 key combo only seems to turn on and off the wireless radio)

- onboard ethernet (still haven't started on this one, second lowest priority, as the onboard atheros wireless works perfectly OOB)

Once I have the sound, webcam, bluetooth and ethernet working, I will post a complete walkthrough on this notebook.

@AmphetaMarinE, Thanks a lot for your post! I will try it at the shortest time possible,

in the mean time, I found this page, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219591

where at least one user of this machine says s/he's benefited greatly from the tutorial, and PMed

to ask how did s/he do it. I'll post any answers if I come with one.

Thanks a lot again for all the effort you put in to write this walkthrough. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

i also have an Intel i7 Acer Aspire 5745g, and i followed AmphetaMarinE's mini-tutorial, but when i start my machine from the USB Drive and select the Mac OS X Setup, it quickly flashes up the grey Apple screen, then it reboots my computer, and does the whole process over again... has anyone had, and more so figured out how to fix/bypass the issue?

Cheers :)

BTW, i am running a 64 bit processor, does that make a big difference?

on that initial bootup screen, type in "-x" and hit enter. hopefully that should help you

hey guys,

i also have an Intel i7 Acer Aspire 5745g, and i followed AmphetaMarinE's mini-tutorial, but when i start my machine from the USB Drive and select the Mac OS X Setup, it quickly flashes up the grey Apple screen, then it reboots my computer, and does the whole process over again... has anyone had, and more so figured out how to fix/bypass the issue?

Cheers :)

BTW, i am running a 64 bit processor, does that make a big difference?

Hey guys, I have the Aspire 5745 and I am trying to get my sound working. I made a codec_dump using an ubuntu live CD and tried to drag the resulting codec_dump.txt into applehda patcher but I get this error:

AppleHDA Patcher - 2006/2007 by Taruga v1.20

Codec : Realtek ALC271X

Vendor Id : 0x10ec0269

Subsystem Id : 0x1025035b

* Detected unsupported Realtek Codec

I am not sure what I need to do to get my sound working. I have attached my codec_dump.txt Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

codec_dump.txt

great i found some fellows with same notebook.

my specs:

acer aspire 5745g-728G64Bn

i7 720qm

8gb ram

640gb sata harddisc 5400

graphics: nvidia geforce gt 330m

i first tried the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method from tony ( http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...c-os-x-on.html) which gave me no luck. i couldnt get the installation running cause i always got a kernal panic( safe mode -x, didnt help that either). then i followed a more fortune tutorial using the empire efi method (

).

this guy tells with much patience how he succeeded and presents some nice tools like "osx86 tools utility". i think i then got pretty much the core things working out of box (trackpad, keyboard, dvd, wifi, usb) if remember right. but then unfortunatly used "myhack" which screwed me the trackpad and keyboard. to fix these i then used the kernals mentioned above by AmphetaMarineE. they worked.

not succeeded yet:

graphics card geforce 330m. still running in vega mode. did u guys it got running? what did u use? on this help very much appreciated!

dvd works, but feels very slow. not tried burning yet.

no sound (but will use external anyhow)

no ethernet

no sleep mode

no battery indiciation

lets keep us updated with further results of our diggings!

cheers

Graphics problem seems to be an issue with AppleIntelHDGraphics. Still haven't been able to figure out sound either.....

I had sound slightly working with VoodooHDA, but after 5 seconds of playing a song the song would become choppy and then cut out all together.

Please keep us updated if you find a solution, I've got another guy with our computer looking on the TonyOSX forums as well.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Nice to see some Acer 5735G owners. I picked up a secondhand i7 model last weekend at the computer markets.

I'm running 10.6.5. My install was a bit of a hack, but I got dual boot with the original Windows7 Home Premium on MBR.

I'm still trying to get WiFi and sound working. Swiping does not work on the trackpad, but at least I've got ethernet working.

Quartz Extreme also works.

To get full functionality of the GT330M, here's what I did:

- Download and install Kext Utility

- Download and install the latest version of XCode. I think you need the IOREG program that comes with it.

- Download and install DSDTSE;

- Run DSDTSE;

- Select Tools>Extract DSDT; This will create and display a dsdt.dsl that is specific to your machine.

- Click the Compile button on the right hand side panel. (I got 0 errors and a couple of warnings. ignore all this).

- When the compile is done, you will have a dsdt.aml file in your dsdt directory.

- Rename dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml. (Case matters)

- Copy DSDT.aml to /Extra. (Assuming you have installed Chameleon on your HDD. I used MyHack)

- Run Kext Utility. This will fix permissions and update the /Extra/Extensions.mkext if necessary.

- Edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist using TextEdit.

- Change the screen resolution to 1366x768x32. It should look like something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1366x768x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>0</string>

</dict>

</plist>

- Reboot

You should new see transparent taskbar at the top of the screen.

The next thing I did was download and install the latest nVidia drivers from the nvidia website.

You will get an nVidia CUDA icon at the bottom of System Preferences.

Double-click on the icon. A window will open and ask you to download the latest driver from nVidia.

Now at least I'm running the official video drivers. Haven't tested any programs yet, apart from screensaver Flurry.

Hope this helped... Have fun :unsure:

Hey guys,

As i posted before, i had issues installing the Mac.. well, i fixed it :) to whoevers interested, what you have to do is make sure you do a DISC INSTALL! DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL IT OFF A USB DRIVE!

Thought you might like to know :)

Also, to whoever it interests, having Mac OS X on my Acer Aspire 5745G, I had issues with finding drivers for the nVidia GeForce 330M... but you don't need them! Simply upgrade to 10.6.5 Snow Leopard, and it contains all the needed drivers! There you go! :) Also, you the package [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], which can be found at tonymacx86.. its a ripper of a tool! I have WiFi, Graphics and Built in keyboard.. all i need now is sound, bluetooth, ethernet, and to get the trackpad working at all.... still a way to go, but there is a way when there is a will :)

Hey Dronnoc,

Thanks for the tip. I had real problems trying to install from USB. I will re-install using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

I got ethernet working no problems. I downloaded the latest Atheros L1c kext from Kexts.com and installed it using Kext utility.

Rebooted and there it was, ethernet was working.

I also got trackpad to work to a certain extent. I used MyHack to install the bootloader, but there is an option to customise the installation. You have to include PS2 Keyboard support because the keyboard and trackpad are PS2. Can't do all the swiping actions, but for now, I don't need to use a USB mouse.

Hope this helps.

BTW. Do you dual boot or have you dispensed with Windows7? Have you had any issues? I have 1 program that I need to run under Windows, and until the Sound issues are fixed, I'll keep using dual boot.

Hey Dronnoc,

Thanks for the tip. I had real problems trying to install from USB. I will re-install using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

I got ethernet working no problems. I downloaded the latest Atheros L1 kext from Kexts.com and installed it using Kext utility.

Rebooted and there it was, ethernet was working.

I also got trackpad to work to a certain extent. I used MyHack to install the bootloader, but there is an option to customise the installation. You have to include PS2 Keyboard support because the keyboard and trackpad are PS2. Can't do all the swiping actions, but for now, I don't need to use a USB mouse.

Hope this helps.

BTW. Do you dual boot or have you dispensed with Windows7? Have you had any issues? I have 1 program that I need to run under Windows, and until the Sound issues are fixed, I'll keep using dual boot.

No problems RedBack, just wanted to let people know what happened and how to fix it ;)

I might look into that! i use wifi round home, but every now and then i'll use ethernet, and i want a fully functional system :)

I have VoodooPS2Controller.kext installed, and that fixed up the keyboard, but not the mouse, so i use my little wireless mouse, works a treat :)

I also haven't yet disposed of Windows 7, as i have a lot of windows stuff, and a lot of it you can't get for mac.. also, i too want something with sound :) No issues at all, its all sweet as :)

Dronnoc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dronnoc,

I tried installing from the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]-GE CD. The [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]-GE CD was better, but I had to boot with the -x option, otherwise the system would constantly reboot itself.

When I installed with the -x option, the system was able to automatically detect the LAN card and installed the correct ethernet driver. I was also able to get 1366x768 Out of the Box.

I installed the 10.6.5 Combo Update and installed [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], but then lost the Ethernet connection and the 1366x768 resolution. The system reverted back to VESA mode.

I still have not been able to get the WiFi working.

My Snow Leopard Install DVD is the original 10.6.0. Did you use the 10.6.3 install DVD?

I would appreciate it you could describe how you got the WiFi working.

Would you please list your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and your /Extra/Extensions/ folder.

Without WiFi, I'm stuck to my desk, which defeats the purpose 'cause I already have a desktop Hack

Thanks In Advance.

rockingturtle, You rock!!! :(

Great writeup!

I will go back and update my system according to your guide.

I'm still curious about the onboard wifi card. do you definitely have to replace it?

can you tell me the exact model that you replaced with.