Three Post Install Problems

9 posts in this topic

I posted this over at TonyMac's forum, but this board seems to be considerably more active, and so I thought I'd give it a try

core i7-930

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

Galaxy Geforce GTS 250

6GB DDR3 OCZ RAM

I was able to get 10.6.3 installed on my brand new system using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], a very easy install, so thank you to Tony.

Now I've got a few minor issues, the first being that in About this Mac it has me listed as an Intel Xeon processor. I'd like for it to display my i7 correctly if possible, but I don't exactly know how. I booted into OSX and attempted to edit the smbios.plist file that is located in the extras folder of my hard drive, (which, for some reason already had an SMcputype value of 1537) but when I tried to save it it said it couldn't be saved. I am editing using textedit.

Next, is a RAM issue. I have 6GB (3x2GB) installed, but About this Mac says there are only 4 GB installed. I'm assuming this is because I'm booting into the 32-bit kernel, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to boot into 64-bit.

Using plists I'm trying to force it to boot in the 64 bit kernel, but no luck. None of my edits have any effect at all. I've tried editing both the smbios.plist file and the apple.boot.plist in the extras folder, nothing. I also tried to edit the apple.boot.plist in the library/preferences/system configuration folder, no results. I tried leaving the kernel flag blank, as well as with -force64. Nothing I edit seems to have any effect on anything at all, am I doing something wrong? Editing the wrong file?

Last one is a bit nitpicky: I have Windows 7 on a separate HD, and chameleon recognizes and boots them both just fine, but it automatically boots into OS X unless I "hit any key to load boot options" or something. Is there a way I can make chameleon wait there until I pick which one to boot into? And on the subject of chameleon, is it possible to change the Tony Mac logo up top to something else/remove it?

I know that's minor, I'm really just trying to feel my way through all this and figure out my options, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, in summary: I'm trying to get it to a) say I have an i7 processor in About this Mac, and ;) boot 64 bit. If anyone has any insight at all, it would be much appreciated

If you only want to change what About This Mac says you can use OSX86 Tools to do it.As for 64 bit, Snow Leopard should boot in it by default,a quick way to check is look in System Profiler under Software, 64-bit Kernel and Extensions:Yes or No

OK, yes you can use OS X Tools to change what it says in About This Mac, but that is purely cosmetic. There are loads of threads here on getting your CPU correctly recognised. Try a search.

Are you saying that you can't edit/save the smbios file in Extra? (BTW, I'm assuming it was a typo when you put Extras! It must be Extra.) Got to be a permissions thing. A workaround is to save it to the desktop, delete the one in Extra, then copy your desktop version into Extra.

Don't think your only showing 4Gb RAM has anything to do with 32bit. OS X is not like Windows in that respect. As gsw953 said, check in System Profiler to see if you are running 32 or 64 bit. You need to put: 'arch=x86_64' (64 bit) or 'arch=i386' (32 bit) without quotes into your c.a.b.plist file in Extra.

Not sure about the TonyMac logo thing. I assume that he is using a Theme. In which case you just have to edit out the theme in c.a.b.plist in Extra. Post your c.a.b.plist file from Extra here if you like.

Sorry, yes it was the Extra folder not Extras. I used that method to edit the file and replace it, but nothing changed om reboot. I placed arch=x86_64 in the plist file as a string under the key "kernel flags" Nothing happened, still won't boot into 64 bit mode.

So if I don't need 64-bit mode to recognize more than 4 GB of RAM, why isn't it being recognized in 32-bit?

And yea, the Tonymac logo thing is just a file I found in the extras folder, thanks!

I will post my c.a.b plist file when I get home, hopefully you guys can help

Now I've got a few minor issues, the first being that in About this Mac it has me listed as an Intel Xeon processor. I'd like for it to display my i7 correctly if possible, but I don't exactly know how.

Not sure if it will help or not, but if you click on link and scroll down a bit there is a installer listed under "FIXES" called "AboutThisMac.pkg.zip". It worked for me, might work for you as well.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=200183

• 1 month later...

When you install using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], click on com.apple.boot.plist and check 64 bit Apple Boot Screen. Then you can boot into 64 bit as everyone tells you, or just use K64 Enabler.

boot.plist, smbios - copy to the desktop

edit

and then replace

-SMcputype 1793=i7

-Kernell - type uname -v (Terminal) (Example: Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:28:53 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.7.4~1/RELEASE_I386)

-see if your boot.plist has maxmem=4096

if the answer is yes

delete

*kernel 32 supports 32 GB of memory

My smbios:-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].tonymacx86.com</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacPro</string>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>W87234JHYA4</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>C0CE2600-93D7-3B41-843A-4D7C8E2C12E2</string>

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1537</string>

</dict>

</plist>

My com.apple.boot.plist:-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Using Geekbench or About this mac, both tells me I have 8GB DDR3, but Activity Monitor shows only 4GB. I have similar problem too. Since the boot list doesn't say maxmem=4096, what should I do?

I've solved my ram problem. Turns out the 4 sticks of ram cannot work with each other, although all 4 are Kingston, DDR3, 1333MHz. In fact, 3 sticks are similar while the 4th which is also Kingston, but has a different hologram sticker. And if you say that's the odd one causing problem, well no. This is what I did:-

First two sticks coupled with another brand new set Corsair 2x2GB = it works, total 8GB shows up in bios and in activity monitor.

Second two sticks with the different hologram coupled with Corsair = it works too, 8GB in total.

But if you put all 4 sticks of Kingston together = it does not work, only 4GB ram.

Any one knows why? I sure don't.