[GUIDE] Dell Studio 540 SL Retail Vanilla

60 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey I finally figured out how to get a successful installation of the latest update of Snow Leopard on the Dell Studio 540.

Specs:

Model: Dell Studio 540

Ram: 3 GB

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHZ

Video Card: Nvidia Gforce 9800 GT

Sound Card: Intel HDA

Ok first you have to download everything you need here: *UPDATED* http://www.mediafire.com/?3wyjymklrdz

Then you burn legacybootcd.iso located in folder you just downloaded at the lowest speed possible. Now put the disc in your 540 and boot from it. After its loaded up you will be in a chameleon boot loader. Eject the disc and replace it with your snow leopard disc. After that press F5 and HIGHLIGHT YOUR DISC (dont click on it yet). you want to boot with the flags -v cpus=1 busratio=20.(you’re going to need a usb keyboard and mouse that are WIRED will get wireless working after the install) After the disc boots up go head and choose your language. After agreeing to apples terms highlight utilities and go to disk utility.

when its loaded up click on your hard drive that you want to install mac on (not partition) and go to the partition tab. under volume scheme select one partition and name it whatever you like. before you apply you have to click on options and select GUID Partition Table if its not already selected then you have to make sure under format that it is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Now you can click apply. After its done partitioning exit out of disk utility adn select the hard drive you just partitioned. Then click install and that should take 25-30 minutes. After you install mac and your computer restarts boot to the cd again.

Now HIGHLIGHT the hard drive you installed mac on. Now boot the hard drive with the flags -v cpus=1 busratio=20. When mac boots up you should see the welcome video then you should see the setup. Of course just go through the setup until you get to the mac desktop. Now you have to transfer the folder you downloaded onto the desktop of your mac. After that open the folder and open Kext Helper b7. Then go into the kexts folder and drag its contents into Kext Helper and click on Easy Install. When your done dont reboot, instead go to the Legacy Boot Cd and go into extra, then post-install, and open and install the myhackinstaller. After its done installing (dont reboot yet) open kext helper again then go into VoodooHDA_Pref and run voodoohdahelper and VoodooHDA.Prefane. After that drag VoodooHDA.kext into kext helper and install.

Now you can reboot.

Everything should be working now. If you dont want the theme or the boot log just go to extra on the root of your hard drive the go to themes, default, and delete boot.png and backround.png. If you want to change the theme then just change those pictures. Anyways i hope you enjoyed my tutorial and id be glad to help anyone having problems.

*UPDATING*

If youre updating an existing installation of Snow Leopard with an updated package for installation on the Dell Studio 540 i am now providing a folder that provides any changes that you will need to apply. Directions will be in the folder you download. (NOTE: to update to the newest version of this installation you have to have already upgraded to the version before the update your installing). For those installing updates from an install you havnt updated in a while i will include a package to install all of those updates. (NOTE#2: you dont need to upgrade a fresh install because that will already be upgraded to the current version. NOTE#3: the version number is decided by how close we are to having a perfect installation of Mac OSX Snow Leopard on the Dell Studio 540).

UPDATE v0.7:

What's the exact full name of the OSx86 software you used cos i can't find it anywhere, i only find previous versions not snow leopard version. I've got the same bio's as you apart from i've got realtek audio so i hope this works for me too as previous attemps with older versions of iPC & ect have failed.

Prodigy this is a retail installation. This is the best way to install Snow Leopard on a computer and it avoids piracy. Update 10.6.4 works as well as every other update. I am trying to fix the loading bar and I've almost fixed the power button problem. Any help with these problems would be appreciated though.

Can someone please post just the /Extra folder that Chameleon is using for this Dell? It normally contains a DSDT.aml, Extensions folder, SMBIOS.plist, and com.Apple.Boot.plist.

I was going to just do a thumbdrive installation if I could just get that folder. If people are using myhack to do this install then those files might be hidden files. You can use the attached program to see hidden files. Run it again to re-hide them.

The Extra folder should be on the root drive.

Thanks!

Edit:

Oh, and the powerbutton issue is a DSDT issue. If you want to fix it then you need to edit the DSDT.

ShowAllFilesInFinderApp.zip

Yea I figured out it was dsdt. I'm just trying to figure out how to edit it. I have been having to do other things so that hasnt been what i've been working on this whole time. Anyways do you think you could point me in the right direction with the dsdt editing guide (i'll post the extra folder in a sec.).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm going to own up to be a total novice at all this up front so you don't shout at me.

I have a Dell Studio 540, and I am trying to install Snow leopard using this amazing guide.

My machine:

Quad Q8200 2.33 ghz

4gb RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4670

Edirol external sound card

I just want to check that I am following your instructions correctly.

I have managed to get 10.5.6 running on here with no problems (other than graphics card) using a method posted here by another user. That worked fine.

When I attempted to install using this guide I just keep hitting 'Still waiting for root device'.

I have installed my new HDD (exfat 32) on sata port 0, and my DVD drive on Sata port 1. As with my 10.5.6 installation I have disabled speedstep in the bios, and I have temporarily unplugged my windows drive (formerly on sata port 2).

Still I am getting the '...for root device' on screen.

I have a couple of questions.

Could the ATI card be playing havoc with this? If so should I unplug it, and run screen off my mobo? It is currently just running off my ATI card, which still displayed 10.5.6 in basic res.

Should I reformat the blank drive? I did the format to exfat In windows. Should I do this a different way?

Thanks in advance. You guys are amazing, and after reading this forum you all inspired me to start down this fun path, so keep it up!

Ps - weird grammar due to my iPad. Apologies.

Ok, running update here.

I took my gfx card out, and now it seems to be installing! Weirdly, I had to plug my mouse and keyboard into the front USB slots which was odd.

Still got about 30 mins of install time. But Ill update this post (if that's ok with you guys).

Again thanks for the guide, you rule!

Thanks! If any of you get a loading bar on boot-up after the update just install the latest version of myhack (I'll include it in the next package) here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2010/06/myhack...r-1-1-released/. I'm playing more with the power button right now. The progress is that when you press the power button the computer goes to sleep instead of bringing up a menu (If anyone wants to help with this then that would be great). Anyways glad to hear you guys like my guide!

ok, so I've installed the kexts. now I'm trying to install the included myhack, but it's hanging saying 'install time remaining - less than 1 minute'. Should I try and quit out of this install process somehow, and run the new myhack you posted above?

ah ok, it's installed, just took a while. i'll finish the rest of the guide off and see if it reboots ok.

for some reason Voodoo didn't install properly. hmmm. I'll give it another try.

VERY COOL!!

I have 10.6.4 up and running! Thanks for the heads up on the update!

I'm now going to put my Windows drive back into sata2, and my gfx card back in and see what happens.

so so happy!

ok, I'm having some issues with my HD4670. Anyone know any work-arounds for this?

****edit***

Ok, I've found a few places that offer explanations. I'll send you links to the relevant kexts to add to your next update, with a tutorial once it's done!

Ok, I dumped my ATI. and now I'm running in glorious 1080p Dual moniter!

I'm using an external sound card, but I tried to get the internal working anyway.

Anyone else have any problems with Voodoo HDA on their 540's?

Just did the 10.6.3 update and everything is still working like butter. I also went ahead and picked up the DLink usb to bluetooth adapter that is recommended by Apple as well as the Wiki (model: dtb120). I can confirm it is completely plug n play -- bluetooth settings worked instantly in system preferences. Just to test the limits I picked up a wireless mac keyboard along with the magic mouse. Both devices detected and work like a charm (you will need 10.6.3 in order to get the magic mouse gesture support *scrolling, zoom, pan*).

Since I had done all my installation for OSX on a secondary hard drive, I decided to redo the installation with a fresh WD black 640GB drive... start to finish including OS X 10.6.3 update was 1 hour and 14 minutes. I'd like to thank the OP for putting together the guide, I really don't know how much easier it could have been to get SL running on the Dell Studio 540.

The only question I have left at this point is whether or not the OP was able to add additional hard drives... On my 540 I have the 4 sata ports, numbers 0, 1, 4, 5.... I cannot get OS X to see sata 4 or 5 drives so I've put the drives in external enclosure and they work over usb.... not sure if there's a workaround for that.

[

cell fanatic, did you rebox your 540?

• 1 month later...
Sorry its been so long since ive posted an update I'm working on it.

EDIT: Are there an other problems that need to be worked on other than the intergrated video card in the motherboard?

Hi I am new and pretty new to this whole thing. I have problems with my usb mouse and keyboard working after booting to the SL disk. Also I dont know if this affects much but I have my studio 540 with a core 2 duo installed and also have a geforce GT 330. I am unable to get past the first screen where I select a language. Any Suggestions?

Hi I am new and pretty new to this whole thing. I have problems with my usb mouse and keyboard working after booting to the SL disk. Also I dont know if this affects much but I have my studio 540 with a core 2 duo installed and also have a geforce GT 330. I am unable to get past the first screen where I select a language. Any Suggestions?

Actually I figured out that if I try different usbs then my mouse and keyboard work. The system seems to not respond but after a while it will continue. It is soooo slow its not even funny. Is that normal? Is that how it reacts at first? I hope it is better after booting from the HD. Any help is much appreciated.

Actually I figured out that if I try different usbs then my mouse and keyboard work. The system seems to not respond but after a while it will continue. It is soooo slow its not even funny. Is that normal? Is that how it reacts at first? I hope it is better after booting from the HD. Any help is much appreciated.

I actually never get past the install. It goes into negative minutes remaining and just keeps going. I dont know what to do now. I really would like any suggestions on this.

Unplug any unnecasarry usb devices. And for the keyboard and mouse problem I said in the guide that you just use regular wired keyboard or mouse.

I am using regular usb mouse and keyboard. I figured out that the front usb ports are the only ones that work. Is that normal? I have no other usb devices connected. Just monitor, mouse, keyboard, and power. I am unable to successfully install SL also. it goes so slow that it makes you think it is frozen and then finally reacts. any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I am using regular usb mouse and keyboard. I figured out that the front usb ports are the only ones that work. Is that normal? I have no other usb devices connected. Just monitor, mouse, keyboard, and power. I am unable to successfully install SL also. it goes so slow that it makes you think it is frozen and then finally reacts. any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Woo Hoo! I finally got it. I had to boot with cpus=1 -v -f and it worked like a charm. Now I have it all working fine except for sound and my graphics card. QE/CI is no enabled. Does anyone know how to get sound working with a realtek ALC888 and a geforce GT 330? That is all I have left to conquer.

Thanks in advance.