[GUIDE] Dell Studio 540 SL Retail Vanilla

60 posts in this topic

Have you installed the kexts in the package yet?

yes. I installed the kexts in the package and I was able to get my sound working. still have problems with the video card. I dont have qe/ci working and i noticed that on the network I am unable to see shared printers and airport extreme base station. Any Ideas?

yes. I installed the kexts in the package and I was able to get my sound working. still have problems with the video card. I dont have qe/ci working and i noticed that on the network I am unable to see shared printers and airport extreme base station. Any Ideas?

You need too find those kexts yourself ;).

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha !

In the spirit of giving back to this very helpful thread, I'd like to share my experience. Just received one of these from an eBay liquidator Saturday and now have it going as my main box. In fact, I'm posting from it right now :)

For reference, I have a Dell Studio Slim 540s with Q8200, 4GB Corsair 800MHz DDR2 RAM, older WD 250 GB SATA drive, stock DVD burner, NVidia 9400GT/512 (MSI low profile version DVI,HDMI,VGA). I also added a second 80GB SATA drive that I'll put Win7 on eventually.

So here's my experience, YMMV :)

1. As per Saphiresurf, I definitely needed to have the HDD as SATA dev 0 and the optical drive as SATA dev 1. Boot switches had no effect on the "Still Waiting For Root Device ..." thing. -v was the only switch that I used, simply to see what was goin' on.

2. I did a Vanilla 10.6.0 install sparked with Saphiresurf's LegacyBootCD and then added AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from that same CD to /E/E along with:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Probably don't need one or two of those pertaining to AHCI, given this goofy drive controller but what the hey. Those are a habit of mine.

3. I installed Chameleon v2.0-RC5-r593" as my boot manager.

I could now boot from the HDD but could only see SATA devices 0 and 1.

4. I updated to 10.6.4 and lost the SATA drive controller again, ie. "Still Waiting For Root Device" again :)

5. Booted back in with the CD & SL DVD and removed stock /S/L/E/IOATAFamily.kext, replacing it with the latest SL version from kexts.com. I also deleted the, now useless, /E/E/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from step 2.

Now, I can boot from the HDD again and, this time, see all 4 SATA devices.

6. I installed iLife '09 and did all of the remaining software updates available and everything is running great ... no more surprises.

For audio, I added VoodooHDA v2.62 to /S/L/E.

For internet, stock Apple IONetworkingFamily->AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext works out of the box.

For video, NVidia 9400GT gives me resolution management and full QE/CI without any additional kexts. I just added GraphicsEnabler=Yes in /Extra/c.a.B.plist. I am currently running with dual displays, one DVI and one VGA.

Media card reader sees sD cards like mounted hard drives.

The bottom rear USB ports won't recognize a mouse or keyboard but see external drives, both pen and powered, just fine. Maybe they are not legacy ready ? The top 2 rear and front 2 USB ports work with everything that I have tried.

Oh, and everything is running in 64 bit mode.

Hope that this helps someone out there, maybe saves 'em a step.

Take care and rock on !

Steve B.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately me lol. As far as I know chameleon supports/doesnt support it because I booted up 10.6.5 and it gave me a kernel panic that looked EFI related. Anyways if any of you need help or want to help please join the IRC channel I recently made (It actually does have a few people in it and I already have a bot set up :rolleyes:).

Server: irc.osx86.hu

Channel: ******

I no longer hold up #OSx86 on that server. If you want to ask me a question I'm usually on #iOS on the same server. Thanks for the Support guys!

• 1 month later...
Aloha !

In the spirit of giving back to this very helpful thread, I'd like to share my experience. Just received one of these from an eBay liquidator Saturday and now have it going as my main box. In fact, I'm posting from it right now :)

For reference, I have a Dell Studio Slim 540s with Q8200, 4GB Corsair 800MHz DDR2 RAM, older WD 250 GB SATA drive, stock DVD burner, NVidia 9400GT/512 (MSI low profile version DVI,HDMI,VGA). I also added a second 80GB SATA drive that I'll put Win7 on eventually.

So here's my experience, YMMV :)

1. As per Saphiresurf, I definitely needed to have the HDD as SATA dev 0 and the optical drive as SATA dev 1. Boot switches had no effect on the "Still Waiting For Root Device ..." thing. -v was the only switch that I used, simply to see what was goin' on.

2. I did a Vanilla 10.6.0 install sparked with Saphiresurf's LegacyBootCD and then added AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from that same CD to /E/E along with:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleRTC.kext

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Probably don't need one or two of those pertaining to AHCI, given this goofy drive controller but what the hey. Those are a habit of mine.

3. I installed Chameleon v2.0-RC5-r593" as my boot manager.

I could now boot from the HDD but could only see SATA devices 0 and 1.

4. I updated to 10.6.4 and lost the SATA drive controller again, ie. "Still Waiting For Root Device" again B)

5. Booted back in with the CD & SL DVD and removed stock /S/L/E/IOATAFamily.kext, replacing it with the latest SL version from kexts.com. I also deleted the, now useless, /E/E/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from step 2.

Now, I can boot from the HDD again and, this time, see all 4 SATA devices.

6. I installed iLife '09 and did all of the remaining software updates available and everything is running great ... no more surprises.

For audio, I added VoodooHDA v2.62 to /S/L/E.

For internet, stock Apple IONetworkingFamily->AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext works out of the box.

For video, NVidia 9400GT gives me resolution management and full QE/CI without any additional kexts. I just added GraphicsEnabler=Yes in /Extra/c.a.B.plist. I am currently running with dual displays, one DVI and one VGA.

Media card reader sees sD cards like mounted hard drives.

The bottom rear USB ports won't recognize a mouse or keyboard but see external drives, both pen and powered, just fine. Maybe they are not legacy ready ? The top 2 rear and front 2 USB ports work with everything that I have tried.

Oh, and everything is running in 64 bit mode.

Hope that this helps someone out there, maybe saves 'em a step.

Take care and rock on !

Steve B.

Thanks for that little guide it's awesome! :D so I'm going to try it and see if I can implement it into updating to 10.6.5 :D.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...