Confirming that SAPPHIRE HD 4670 1G GDDR3 PCI-E (New Edition) WORKS!

suprem3

18 posts in this topic

269_20090812_4900_m.jpg

After long struggling with kernel panics, no screen and what not to get this card to work i succeeded , so just to report that really it works..

Instead of using netkas PC-EFI 10.5 or 10.6 , which gives me nothing but black screen on both monitors VGA - DVI , i was using Chameleon RC4 boot version , and it worked , but only on one monitor .. only on VGA.

What i will try tomorrow to do is to connect HDMI cable on other monitor so maybe i will have luck to get to work with both.

So to all who have this card, go with chameleon rc4 - GraphicsEnabler=Yes and VGA port , ah and of course 10.6.2 version of Snow leopard..

If anyone have dual monitors working , or any tricks that might work, please leave comment of how you did it so you can help me , and others that are trying to get this card working.

Hi,

great news that you finally got it working.

Dont be mad at me, but maybe it should have worked with nektas bootloader and/or PCEFI 10.5 if you had tried

either one of the bootoptions -pci1 or -pci0.

So your card works just on D-Sub.

Please take a look at my post, i.e. problem with my passive cooled Sapphire HD4670 Ultimate

dual screen problem / HDMI occupied

I use vanilla kexts, but somehow I need to have the HDMI port connected to get either DVI or D-Sub activated.

I'll try your method and report.

but to get back to your point

my "trick" is

1) use one of the conformed bootloaders (boot file), like nektas, pcefi 10.5, 10.6, ... the are some modified boot files for other bootloaders

2) before editing boot plist try out what pci u need, i.e. boot up with -pci1 GraphicsEnabler=yes or -pci0 GraphicsEnabler=yes

3) if u do not get KP with ATIRadeon2000 and get a black screen, try a different port or adapter (in my case HDMI had to be connected to monitor)

4) when found the right combination of point 2 and 3, add settings to boot plist

Hi,

great news that you finally got it working.

Dont be mad at me, but maybe it should have worked with nektas bootloader and/or PCEFI 10.5 if you had tried

either one of the bootoptions -pci1 or -pci0.

So your card works just on D-Sub.

Please take a look at my post, i.e. problem with my passive cooled Sapphire HD4670 Ultimate

dual screen problem / HDMI occupied

I use vanilla kexts, but somehow I need to have the HDMI port connected to get either DVI or D-Sub activated.

I'll try your method and report.

but to get back to your point

my "trick" is

1) use one of the conformed bootloaders (boot file), like nektas, pcefi 10.5, 10.6, ... the are some modified boot files for other bootloaders

2) before editing boot plist try out what pci u need, i.e. boot up with -pci1 GraphicsEnabler=yes or -pci0 GraphicsEnabler=yes

3) if u do not get KP with ATIRadeon2000 and get a black screen, try a different port or adapter (in my case HDMI had to be connected to monitor)

4) when found the right combination of point 2 and 3, add settings to boot plist

It works without pci0 , pci1 there is no need for adding this ones specifically, atleast for me.

What i want to do right now is to have dual monitors connected , but i cant find some hack to enable this, maybe someone will read this and help me out. Good to know that you got it working also.

Same problem here,.. no dual monitor function

By the way you guys were right, D-Sub only works.

I tried all combinations, no dual display.

The only thing I get two different monitors working is mirror mode, not extended display.

Would be great if someone has an suggestion, or even solution.

It works without pci0 , pci1 there is no need for adding this ones specifically, atleast for me.

What i want to do right now is to have dual monitors connected , but i cant find some hack to enable this, maybe someone will read this and help me out. Good to know that you got it working also.

I think it works if your system need pci0 setting, as this is the default option.

I my case I had to add it as bootoption.

something totally different

the new bootloader enabled my 9800GT directly, i.e. no need for special settings in DSDT or an EFI string for the gfx.

just works, out of the box :censored2: QE/CI dual monitor , everthing

something totally different

the new bootloader enabled my 9800GT directly, i.e. no need for special settings in DSDT or an EFI string for the gfx.

just works, out of the box ;) QE/CI dual monitor , everthing[/i][/b]

yea i am thinking of dumping this ati card and get 9800gt , since there is no community , or any will for fixing ati cards.

yea i am thinking of dumping this ati card and get 9800gt , since there is no community , or any will for fixing ati cards.

it is a little out of the topic, but

please consider which 9800 you get. my ASUS EN9800GT has fan problems.

that is no issue in Windows, fan control tools are delivered by default.

in OSX I yet dont have a solution to get smartfan for the card working;

therfore i set up fan speed to 60% at lowlevel (enough to not overheat, and not to noisy)

the problem was that without this setting the fan would either stay still or either work on 100% in OSX.

Today i tried with HDMI cable , here what i got..

I found out that in Cameleon2 RC4 ATI Injector from netkas uses { 0x10029490, "Motmot"} framebuffer.. With this framebuffer only VGA output works...

BUT PC EFI 10.6 uses other framebuffer for this card, its using { 0x10029490, "Peregrine"} framebuffer, so when i boot with VGA and DVI output monitors i get blank screen, its booting all normal no kernel panics but black screen.

So i tested 10.6 with HDMI cable plugged in , then it starts to work DVI but no HDMA or VGA...

So the thing is really {censored} , with Motmot framebuffer it enables only VGA monitor , but with Peregrine framebuffer it enables only DVI monitor (recognised as TV) BUT I must have plugged in HDMI cable also...

I really dont know what the F*CK to try , i tried editing ati.c source switching other display to LCD

const char *ati_display_type_0[] = { "@0,display-type", "LCD" };

const char *ati_display_type_1[] = { "@1,display-type", "NONE" }; <-- this to LCD

nothing happens...

Also i think this have some deal with outputs

struct ati_data_key ati_connector_type_0 = { 0x04, "@0,connector-type", {0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00} };

struct ati_data_key ati_connector_type_1 = { 0x04, "@1,connector-type", {0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00}};

But i really dont know what thiese 0x04 are and in what position it should be or where they come from...

If someone who understands this kind of stuff read this, maybe will give me some suggestion to try it out.

BTW.. i like to know if ANYONE managed to get dual monitor on any ATI card under snow leopard..

Today i tried with HDMI cable , here what i got..

I found out that in Cameleon2 RC4 ATI Injector from netkas uses { 0x10029490, "Motmot"} framebuffer.. With this framebuffer only VGA output works...

BUT PC EFI 10.6 uses other framebuffer for this card, its using { 0x10029490, "Peregrine"} framebuffer, so when i boot with VGA and DVI output monitors i get blank screen, its booting all normal no kernel panics but black screen.

So i tested 10.6 with HDMI cable plugged in , then it starts to work DVI but no HDMA or VGA...

So the thing is really {censored} , with Motmot framebuffer it enables only VGA monitor , but with Peregrine framebuffer it enables only DVI monitor (recognised as TV) BUT I must have plugged in HDMI cable also...

That is exactly what I had experienced.

either dsub, or hdmi as initiator form an other port.

As I guess the ATI framework is still somehow buggy, I decided to wait for a new release of the Ati framework.

Hopefully this will solve the dual display support as well.

Hi

I Have this exact same card.

So far, I got it working DVI via HDMI to DVI cable on the HDMI port. QE and CI ok

Have not tried other ports with other adaptors but will try later, DVI and VGA ports do not work without adaptors.

I´m using pre5 compiled from source, the ati.c file was merged with Netkas 10.6 (except it uses RC4 and Netkas uses RC3...) and the framebuffer is Peregrine.

The only thing that is bothering me is that the display cannot repost after sleep. It stays in Black screen.

I would like to know if you are getting this also, or if not, could post your .plist and smbios files from extra. Are you using any kexts? (I´m 100% vanilla, only FakeSMC and LegacyHDA).

I´ll try Shrike later and repost

Thanks in advance

Off topic, I have fixed ATIRadeonx2000.kext KP in all bootloaders I tried (Asere, RC4, RC3, Netkas 10.5, 10.6 and the pre5) in my Hack just by altering com.boot.plist in extra to be as simple as possible (graphics enabler=y and Kernel=Mach_kernel). The KP only seems to occur for me in 10.6.2.

Hi

I Have this exact same card.

So far, I got it working DVI via HDMI to DVI cable on the HDMI port. QE and CI ok

Have not tried other ports with other adaptors but will try later, DVI and VGA ports do not work without adaptors.

I´m using pre5 compiled from source, the ati.c file was merged with Netkas 10.6 (except it uses RC4 and Netkas uses RC3...) and the framebuffer is Peregrine.

The only thing that is bothering me is that the display cannot repost after sleep. It stays in Black screen.

I would like to know if you are getting this also, or if not, could post your .plist and smbios files from extra. Are you using any kexts? (I´m 100% vanilla, only FakeSMC and LegacyHDA).

I´ll try Shrike later and repost

Thanks in advance

Off topic, I have fixed ATIRadeonx2000.kext KP in all bootloaders I tried (Asere, RC4, RC3, Netkas 10.5, 10.6 and the pre5) in my Hack just by altering com.boot.plist in extra to be as simple as possible (graphics enabler=y and Kernel=Mach_kernel). The KP only seems to occur for me in 10.6.2.

I wrote before in this topic , its all default installation , no kexts modified or anything else.

Motmot framebuffer gives VGA only

Peregrine framebuffer gives DVI only , but you need hdmi cable plugged in port.

Only graphicsenabler=y is in boot.plist nothing else.

Did u tried with Shrike ?

All right, here it goes:

Switched to Shrike with partial success:

Fixed the no repost after sleep, sleep now works flawlessly every time.

Output is now DVI

HDMI does not work

VGA works if DVI plugged in, a sort of "dual monitor", as if it was mirrored, but it is not recognized in preferences and the res is the same as the main monitor (high res will force 2nd monitor if not supported and make it turn off or distort/flicker). Once Display sleep, VGA doesn´t return from sleep, but DVI will.

VGA alone does not work

DVI->VGA dongle alone does not work.

So I fixed my main sleep problem and got a single nice DVI output, wich is OK for me, would like to have dual monitors working though...

If anyone gets dual monitors properly working, please post.

Something I encountered before I switched to Shrike (in Peregrine):

I have a main AOC 22" monitor and an older LG 19" monitor

No 2 video outputs ever

AOC worked with HDMI port with HDMI to DVI cable (it´s ATIs cable backwards)

When AOC in HDMI and LG in DVI, LG would work and AOC not, LG would be recognized as AOC and admit 16:10 and higher res (Distorted)

When I switched them, I expected to be reciprocal, but with AOC in DVI and LG in HDMI, LG would work and be recognized as itself, AOC would not work

Strangely, Display would sometimes (rarely) return from sleep at the other connected display, which wasn´t working before, after long periods waiting (left my cpu runing when no repost and whent do something else... found out accidentaly)

VGA never worked

This is very odd behavior, its as if correct display output might not be limited just to the framebuffer, but to the display brand used as well, which would explain different outputs and posts from different people with the same card, and would make everything a lot more difficult.

Anyway, Shrike works for me, Benches seem the same, QE and CI works, haven´t gotten any glitches, wil post if I get any.

Now all I need to figure out is why chameleon correctly identified and injected memory type and speed in 10.6.1 with AsereBLNs Booter and after 10.6.2 it doesn´t anymore...

OFFTOPIC: Are ATI benches in Galaxies (OpenCL Bench) really this horrible to everyone or is it just my card (I´m getting like 10-15FPS, NVidia gets about 200-400!)

I don´t know if I can, but I´m uploading my modded boot file, if not, please say and I take off. I´m adding a text file with how I installed it on EFI also.

I got it off Trunk of Chameleon pre5 sources, all I did was change framebuffer from my card ID to Shrike in ati.c file in i386/libsaio and make.

Post if it works

Toadman

i386_pre5_Shrike_moded.zip

Thank you everyone for all your work with this!

I was quickly losing my sanity trying to get this to work and you helped me get on the right track. I can now use hdmi out and get video in normal boot mode. Unfortunately most of the instructions in the txt file attached assume quite a bit of experience with this. I would like to give it a try. However, before I do, does anyone know of an article that explains how to save my current setup on a thumb drive or something in the event that I fail (I most likely will the first 20 times).

My goal is to get DVI and sleep functioning as well as Warhammer Online. I get the ripple/widget effect, but when I booted Warhammer, it just went black.

Thanks again!

One HAPPY Yog70

***Edit*** Toadman - I take back what I said about the text file. It was very straightforward and worked for me the first time. You Rock!

All right, here it goes:

Switched to Shrike with partial success:

Fixed the no repost after sleep, sleep now works flawlessly every time.

Output is now DVI

HDMI does not work

VGA works if DVI plugged in, a sort of "dual monitor", as if it was mirrored, but it is not recognized in preferences and the res is the same as the main monitor (high res will force 2nd monitor if not supported and make it turn off or distort/flicker). Once Display sleep, VGA doesn´t return from sleep, but DVI will.

VGA alone does not work

DVI->VGA dongle alone does not work.

So I fixed my main sleep problem and got a single nice DVI output, wich is OK for me, would like to have dual monitors working though...

If anyone gets dual monitors properly working, please post.

Something I encountered before I switched to Shrike (in Peregrine):

I have a main AOC 22" monitor and an older LG 19" monitor

No 2 video outputs ever

AOC worked with HDMI port with HDMI to DVI cable (it´s ATIs cable backwards)

When AOC in HDMI and LG in DVI, LG would work and AOC not, LG would be recognized as AOC and admit 16:10 and higher res (Distorted)

When I switched them, I expected to be reciprocal, but with AOC in DVI and LG in HDMI, LG would work and be recognized as itself, AOC would not work

Strangely, Display would sometimes (rarely) return from sleep at the other connected display, which wasn´t working before, after long periods waiting (left my cpu runing when no repost and whent do something else... found out accidentaly)

VGA never worked

This is very odd behavior, its as if correct display output might not be limited just to the framebuffer, but to the display brand used as well, which would explain different outputs and posts from different people with the same card, and would make everything a lot more difficult.

Anyway, Shrike works for me, Benches seem the same, QE and CI works, haven´t gotten any glitches, wil post if I get any.

Now all I need to figure out is why chameleon correctly identified and injected memory type and speed in 10.6.1 with AsereBLNs Booter and after 10.6.2 it doesn´t anymore...

OFFTOPIC: Are ATI benches in Galaxies (OpenCL Bench) really this horrible to everyone or is it just my card (I´m getting like 10-15FPS, NVidia gets about 200-400!)

I don´t know if I can, but I´m uploading my modded boot file, if not, please say and I take off. I´m adding a text file with how I installed it on EFI also.

I got it off Trunk of Chameleon pre5 sources, all I did was change framebuffer from my card ID to Shrike in ati.c file in i386/libsaio and make.

Post if it works

Toadman

So basically with Shrike framebuffer it enables DVI , but unlike Peregrine that requires HDMI cable plugged.

What we got here is this:

Motmot = VGA only

Shrike = DVI only - i cant test this because my monitor died last night

Peregrine = DVI only + must have HDMI cable plugged to recognize dvi output.

Maybe with other framebuffer we will get dual monitors, but maybe...

So basically with Shrike framebuffer it enables DVI , but unlike Peregrine that requires HDMI cable plugged.

What we got here is this:

Motmot = VGA only

Shrike = DVI only - i cant test this because my monitor died last night

Peregrine = DVI only + must have HDMI cable plugged to recognize dvi output.

Maybe with other framebuffer we will get dual monitors, but maybe...

Sorry to hear about your monitor. I can attest to the fact that Shrike = DVI without the need for VGA or HDMI plugged in.

OK, I said I´d post if I got any issues...

This rig is actually intended for my father, I have another rig with an HD4870 working with QE and CI with dual display and Mirroring, which I got with RC4 and Graphicsenabler=Yes in apple.boot.plist in EFI (Motmot works perfectly with HD48xx series...)

Back to this computer, DVI port works fine with Shrike, however, I get weird input lag ang video stuterring with the LG 19" Flatron display that I don´t get with my other AOC monitor and with my 1080p LED LG TV.

I tested it on my other computer (the one with HD4870) and the problem persists. It also persists in dual monitor and affects the other monitor that actually functioned fine alone.

I´ve noticed that the video stutering is ciclical and regular (once after 5,4 seconds), affects all resolutions and screen frequencies, in programs, games, 2d or 3d, even in calculous programs, not graphics card dependent,limited to this display only.

It has no such problems with D-sub (VGA/RGB...), problem does not exist in Windows or Linux/BSD.

I´m thinking this has something to do with Framebuffer or OSX ATI drivers and refresh rate/frequency post errors/incompatibility, but I can´t be sure. it might explain the discrepancies i noticed in my previous post. Appears to be present in every ATI framebuffer, I don´t have any NVIDIA for tests.

I have no idea of how to fix this, I´ve found a nice article here that might explain the issue, but might not.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-1/l...o-crts-yes.html

If anyone has ever had this problem and have fixed it or not, please post. I have no intention on buying another LCD display just to adress this issue.

Untill this is resolved, I have switched the framebuffer back to Motmot.

Only VGA works, with sleep working also.

HDMI does not work, even with ATI´s DVI to HDMI cable on Backwards

DVI does not work, even if VGA through DVI to VGA dongle.

Thanks in advance, if I find a solution I will post.

PS uploading Pre-RC5 modded to Motmot, if anyone needs it.

Toadman

i386_Pre_RC5_Motmot_mod.zip