Parallels Have Stolen Chameleon!

8 posts in this topic

Im not sure how id do that, though it seems very strange, why would they have ignore caches? or video info? or identical icons? all theyve done is swapped their image?

Without starting a flame war you do realise that boot-132 and any derivatives such a Chameleon have to be licensed under the original APSL which is very similar to BSD. You can do what you like with it both free and commercial software so long as source code is published and the license agreement is shown. Any derivatives cannot re-license under their on terms.

Apple web site: http://www.opensource.apple.com/license/apsl/

Chameleon source code: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...k/APPLE_LICENSE.

Now if they are using it they should publish code and any credit original sources.

Thats fair enough but arent effectively selling free software? and also i dont see where the have credited the chameleon team. Im not trying to start a flame war haha dont worry man it just seems odd that ive come across what looks like chameleon in their software! no harm meant :)

Thats fair enough but arent effectively selling free software? and also i dont see where the have credited the chameleon team. Im not trying to start a flame war haha dont worry man it just seems odd that ive come across what looks like chameleon in their software! no harm meant ;)

The APSL allows that software can be sold as does GPL etc. As for crediting the authors totally agree. OK understand you were interested in what they were doing.

Actually I have just thought that VMware uses boot-132 code as well and employed David Elliott to modify it for them, yet they also have not released any source code. They could of course have a different commercial arrangement with Apple so that the do not need to publish it. Not saying it is right or wrong the approach on this but as I am sure you know these things can quickly descend into name calling about "free as in beer" and "free as in speech". :)

• 1 year later...

What we also should take into consideration is that fact that they might've used an unaltered version of Chameleon. (Only providing their own theme which is loaded from external resources and thus isn't covered with any license.)

Do they still have to share any sources in that regard? I don't see any point in it. And indeed, the Apple license allows Parallels to do this stuff.