[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G41M-ES2L (USB Method)

DaveVegas

134 posts in this topic

Great, I look forward too it.

Hey man nice links but if you really don't like messing with Kexts there are a few ways to go about getting intergrated audio and ethernet working so you dont have to buy things you dont need.

For example you can use my dsdt which will give you audio and then simply drag and drop the legacyHDA.kext to your /Extra folder and use KextUtility to repair permissions.

You could also use Kext Utility and install the R1000SL.kext from Kext.com and have fully working ethernet.

If you want Native Sleep and Speed Step you could use my latest DSDT patch. For example I do not need the sleepenabler.kext which has been known to cause a KP when updating the system. Also It is already patched for the audio I mentioned above it also has the USBEHCI fix for the HighSpeed USB ports, It will also give you full working shutdown/restart without extra kexts.

If you use my dsdt you will need to make sure you did not install the sleepenabler or any of the voodoo power kexts. you must remove the NulCPUPowermanagement.kext as well.

I did not do any video injection in the dsdt as I wanted to make sure this should work for everyone. And you should enable your video card via Chameleon.

Place the DSDT file in either your root directory or your /Extra Folder

The DSDT also includes the Hpet, RTC, TIMR, PIC, UHCI, EHCI, and Speed Step and Sleep Enable and AppleLPC trick, and Audio.

Please ask any questions you may have.

I can send anyone who needs a smbios plist if need be. Does make a difference for speedstep to make sure you are set as a MacPro3,1 or a iMac7,1 I can send either just let me know

I also recommend you replace you boot file from Chameleon found in your root directory with the Asere Boot file I have attached I get more accurate information out of it and I also would like to add I had a hard to getting my video card injected using the Chameleon boot file.

dsdt.aml.zip

LegacyHDA.kext.zip

RealtekR1000SL.kext.zip

Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.8.zip

Edited by ridgeline

Thanks Ridgeline, I appreciate the offer but when you have things that are natively supported in OSX they will never break after doing a point update. In other words I will never have to re-apply kexts after 10.6.3 so on and so forth. I am after simplicity and reliability. I am not saying your method is wrong, we are using different methods to achieve similar goal. The readers can choose what method fits them best.

I'd also like to say I take no credit for this guide, ALL credit goes to Adam Pash, Stellarolla, Kaido, and Zaap.

Thank You Gentlemen for sharing your wealth of knowledge with the world.

Well I respect what you are trying to do I updated from 10.6 to 10.6.2 with the kexts above mentioned. installed the Audio is in the Extras folder therefore the updates from Apple don't touch it and as far as I know everyone has to have the FakeSMC.kext.

Just a side note it looks like the dsdt is not patched for everything but anyway my goal is to be as stock as possible and only using and audio file at this point is good for me and my ethernet worked OOB just the bonjour aspect was a little buggy so the R1000SL.kext clears it up. Realtek is supported natively you can even download the Apple driver from realtek.

Not too mention your pc efi says 10.1 according to the guide is that what actually installs?

For anyone interested I have created a boot cd and a post installer package, for this board with a fully patched dsdt. I can post these up if anyone is interested.

Thanks dude, you just helped me get rid of the last couple kext so now i am running on two. the only problem is that if i set sleep in preferences it will only put my monitor to sleep, and if i use sleep in the apple menu it will shut my computer down. other than that everything seems to be working and booting up fast.

Also if i try to put the sleepenable 10.6.2 kext back in i of coarse get a panic. do you have this same problem or do i need to adjust something.

thx,

Nandor690

Well first I would have to ask you have you do you have the R1000SL.kext for our network card installed? I was having the same problem with out this kext but I also had the network wake capability turned on. Second under energy saver preferences I believe you have to check the box enables reboot on power failure. Let me know if that helps and the patched dsdt is to eliminate the sleep enabler kext. This kexts works well with NullCPUPowermanagment but can cause KP's during system updates and therefore must be uninstalled doing it this way via dsdt eliminates that aggravation. Please understand that the reboot upon power failure only reboots the system if it is on when you regain power from a power failure.

I've bought following:

GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (open box, rev v1)

BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB PCIe 2.0 with EcoIntelligence Low Power Design

2 x WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB SERIAL ATA/300 7200RPM 16MB BUFFER HARD DRIVE (want to install OSX on 1 drive and win7 on the other drive)

SAMSUNG SH-S223C/BEBE SATA DVDRW Drive - DVD+R 22X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, OEM

does my set up work with this guide?

Alternate CD Method

Okay for all of you that would like here are is my boot cd.

Simply burn a copy insert this at the GUI eject the boot disc and insert your mac disc.

Hit f5 after it has had a few seconds to spin up and select the install disc and proceed with your install.

After you complete the install at reboot reload the boot cd. this time at GUI select you Mac HD

once the system boots up run my post installer. I have a simple install and and advanced install. Simple should work for almost everyone. You will have vanilla speedstep and sleep with this method and your system will boot 64bit. There is an option under the advanced install that allows you to select if you woul rather boot 32bit. Also video fixes in the event Graphics Enabler does not work for you. This was designed for a core 2 duo processor and your quad core may require additional info in the dsdt. If so please contact me and we will get this squared away I just do not have a quad core at the moment.

P.S. if you have an issue with the boot cd burn it to a DVD this worked for me.

Reboot and enjoy please post any problems or questions.

Thanks

Download Here

Alternate CD Method

Simply burn a copy insert this at the GUI eject the boot disc and insert your mac disc.

Hit f5 after it has had a few seconds to spin up and select the install disc and proceed with your install.

After you complete the install at reboot reload the boot cd. this time at GUI select you Mac HD

once the system boots up run my post installer. I have a simple install and and advanced install. Simple should work for almost everyone. You will have vanilla speedstep and sleep with this method and your system will boot 64bit. There is an option under the advanced install that allows you to select if you woul rather boot 32bit. Also video fixes in the event Graphics Enabler does not work for you. This was designed for a core 2 duo processor and your quad core may require additional info in the dsdt. If so please contact me and we will get this squared away I just do not have a quad core at the moment.

Thanks

Download Here

Sorry man like i said im a noob. can you explain what you mean by insert this at the gui. i have it burned to disk and ready to go so ill be waiting for your response so i can try this.

Thanks,

nandor690

Well I have to give credit where it is due. The USB method by Stella V1 worked great at making my USB bootable and I restored my SL image to an SD Card actually and then ran the Stella V1 installer after I ran the installer I simply opened up the image and added a few things for example my post installer that I have linked to before and iWork. I rebooted from the SD Card and the install was remarkably faster than from disc and you dont have the aggrevation of changing discs. I still recommend my post installer as it has the corrected DSDT for the G41M and the LegacyHDA drivers needed. Fast and simple with minimum additional kexts.

nandor are you asking in general or someone specific a guy I work with bought a card for his build slightly different but a gigabyte board I will find out today which one he has it was recognized natively with no additional work needed I just don't remember what card it is wireless N though I know that.

Hey Ridgeline, you think you can make the Boot CD Windows friendly? Like make it into an iso? I tried converting the dmg to iso and it doesn't seem to work very well in my favor. Unfortunately I don't have access to a mac or linux so all I have to work with is Windows 7. Thanks for your help in this

Alternate CD Method

Thanks

Download Here

thanks ridgeline, just want to know when i should use your boot disc?

should i first insert your boot disc to the cd rom and boot it first? before insert the SL retail dvd/usb drive?

• 2 weeks later...

Followed the steps, but the computer wont boot from the flash drive. Bios reads it, but when I choose the flash drive, it tries to boot, but then goes to the other options to boot from.

Any ideas?