Smooth out Parallels

34 posts in this topic

I've installed Vista using parallels twice and both times I've been able to work with Vista (and it works quite nicely). However with both installs after a couple of boots Vista freezes at startup. I am able to boot to safe mode, but I can't figure out how to repair the install.

My thinking is that I should be able to repair the vista install with the DVD, but how do I boot using the DVD to give me this option?

OR...

Am I way off track...is there a better way to do this?

• 1 month later...

Parallels has a strange behaviour with my Windows 2003 virtual machine: I deactivated "Show applications in Dock" in Parallels -> Preferences -> Appearance.

Afterwards closing application windows inside the virtual machine took a lot of time and consumed a lot of CPU resources (having the CPU monitor running alongside to fetch the impact).

Finally, I decided to activate the feature again. Windows close now with normal speed.

• 8 months later...

Hi all!I'm a recent Mac convert, but I believe that I still need Windows. I have surfed through the web much searching for solutions to run Windows.I think that Parallels is more preferrable for me. I don't like the idea of dual-booting, but will certainly get Boot Camp. Actually, I also wonder how Boot Camp support works and what particular things for me does it provide?Well, and my question is, whether I can trust Parallels Desktop. It seems that the app is very reliable, due to some comments on the net, but still I would prefer to get some feedback from users before handing out my 80$.

• 2 months later...
Well, and my question is, whether I can trust Parallels Desktop. It seems that the app is very reliable, due to some comments on the net, but still I would prefer to get some feedback from users before handing out my 80$.

Hello and welcome! :D I run Parallels Desktop for about month (not much but I already do have experience). I really enjoy it and have no problems with it. It has perfect interface, excellent usability. It doesn't drag my system. Moreover, it fully satisfies my needs and make my Mac 2 in 1 machine! :D I even run some PC-games thru Parallels. I use BootCamp also to run some games with high system requirements. BootCamp copes with it much better than Parallels but I'm sure they will adopt it for gaming soon.

If you decide to get Parallels Desktop don't miss the opportunity to get another apps in one package with Parallels Desktop! (but you will have to spend a little bit more on it, about $100) Check Parallels Desktop Premium Edition offer on their web-site.

Keep us informed about your decisions and actions! Will help you if there any questions on further steps!

If you decide to get Parallels Desktop don't miss the opportunity to get another apps in one package with Parallels Desktop! (but you will have to spend a little bit more on it, about $100) Check Parallels Desktop Premium Edition offer on their web-site.

Keep us informed about your decisions and actions! Will help you if there any questions on further steps!

Wow!! THANK YOU for the info!! VERY useful. One question. Kaspeskiy, Disk Director Suite - I understand why i need them. And True Image ble-bla... what is it???

I haven't investigated Acronis True Image Home yet but that is what they say on Parallels' official web-site...

Acronis True Image Home: To back up your entire Windows VM, including OS, software, settings and all. Choosing to keep or discard any changes made to your VM!

• 2 months later...
I haven't investigated Acronis True Image Home yet but that is what they say on Parallels' official web-site...

ATIH is a good app. I like it.

This has been one of the best backing up pieces of software for me.

I got it with Parallels Premium a few months ago

• 1 month later...

Well, In addition to the original thread topic, Id like to share my experiences. I was having some issues on my Dual Xeon Homebrew, as it was freezing every five seconds or so ( this is due to the mishandling of threads from one processor to the other apparently), but after a ton of researching it seems that the issue was resolved in build 5600. Just did a FRESH install of XP SP3 and All of the issues are resolved. For anyone that was getting the "Parallels IPI stat: rescheduled x cpus out of y" error, this should definitely fix you up.

Hope this helps some!!!

-FYI for the Homebrew-

Kalyway 10.5.2 with kabyl kernel ( So far the most amazing build tested )

Dual Xeon 3.2 HT Enabled ( Irwindale )

Nvidia 8600GTS running dual displays @ 1600x1200 / 75Hz

4GB ECC ram

250GB sata HDD

Broadcom Netextreme Gigabit Ethernet

Sony DL 16x