Asus Z8NA-D6 watercooled hotswapable in a G5 case

peach-os

54 posts in this topic

Ah yes. Your DSDT is still a mess – using the wrong object names and it is incomplete. Please have a look at one of my DSDT's here and you should get it sorted.

thanks!

you say it´s incomplete? what parts are missing? I extracted it from the original bios...hmmm

the link you provided leading to page 41 doesn´t include any of your dsdt´s - searching all the sites for an example is a lot of time ;)

could you give me an other link or upload one?

thanks!

you say it´s incomplete? what parts are missing? I extracted it from the original bios...hmmm

S3 is missing [almost at the end of the DSDT] and the USB objects are also incomplete. Have a look at my DSDT for what I mean.

the link you provided leading to page 41 doesn´t include any of your dsdt´s - searching all the sites for an example is a lot of time ;)

could you give me an other link or upload one?

Sorry. Should have been this one. I also added two more links [under: "Release Notes"] to make it easier to locate the DSDT I was talking about [v3.4].

I compared your dsdt step by step, changed names and corrected some settings. does it make sense to add s3 in the WAK method if it´s nor present in the original? added it - but still not that much changes.

the bios of this board has no options to switch to s3. do you know if it has a kind of "plug and play" implementation for sleep?

I tried to add the usb power settings you used in your dsdt, but couldn´t compile without errors.

guess that usb is still the problem.

with the attached dsdt the behaviour changed a little bit. it´s going to sleep, the light stops for a second but then it makes a kind of a restart and stops. after that I have to restart it twice to make it boot

dsdt.aml.zip

P.S.: best would be you still have the dsdt that you used before for your tests on this board :lol:

Finally I could finish the project and I´m meanwhile using it in my daily work.

I added some things: the missing two HD´s and a miniNG to slow down the DangerDen pump.

Also I modded a gfx cooler to fit on my 9800gt. I had this one already and it wasn´t a big deal

the result is that everything works except proper shutdown and sleep. the geekbench result of this machine is 11875.

xbench shows unbelievable bad results like 165 points, but this tool is outdated and doesn´t recognize both cpu´s.

the cinebench R10 result was 20033 - what is better than the MacPro octacore 2,26 and close to the 3,0.

temperatures are around 38°C idle and 48°C max. I didn´t expect that low temps cooling two cpus, a gfx and the chipset with a 120 dual rad only ! Marc, I´m impressed by your cooler - good work man ! :)

here the final pics:

my amazing silent fake-pro with 5 hotplug HD´s

dscf0055xy.jpg

as you can see everything fits: the plexi window and the closing mechanism is working 100%

dscf0028s.jpg

before I added more pci cards and the HD´s

dscf0012cq.jpg

the MiniNG was a really good investment - it makes the pump really silent

dscf0004zy.jpg

the DangerDen surrounded by alien-technology :thumbsup_anim:

dscf0008o.jpg

....and finally added my two UAD-1 cards before I closed the case

dscf0060u.jpg

although meanwhile some i7 machines have better benchmarks, I´m really satisfied with this project. I will use it for music with Logic 8/9, rendering videos and webdesign.

still to do: make a better wiring for the HD´s inside, fix sleep and shutdown and buy an UAD-2 card. unfortunately there is no slot for my 3rd UAD-1, so the UAD-2 is the solution.....wanted to buy one anyway :)

WOW,

you really filled that G5-Case....with excellent hardware.

Congrats on your work.

I really like and envy your hotswap solution. How much harddisk space do you really need? Did you think about a SSD as boot/scratch disk? I think this would speed things up.

I´m using 2x250GB softraid for my samples - this gives really useful speed with logic audio. also I´m booting from softraid 2x250gb. the fifth HD is for sensible data (all my projects).

of course I´m planning two SSD´s for the system.....but I saw a couple of hours ago on asus website following:

new bios - added microcodes for westmere cpus :unsure:

I should win in a lottery :lol:

• 1 month later...

the machine is a lot of fun

for this I would use always watercooling again. the max of the cpu´s is 48°C and idle at 34°C and amazing silent :)

still hoping for some help with dsdt to solve the sleep problem :)

Great job!!! It looks like you’re using a late 2005 G5 case. I’m starting my mod with the same case as yours and was wondering if you can please provide some information on how you wired the front panel power/led connection. I found the link below but I’m a little confused on which ground I should use for the power/led and USB.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88856

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the response peach-os. According to the text, there’s about 5 GND connection (07, 08, 14, 16, 19), does it matter which GND is should use for the pwr/led and USB? Or should I a specific GND? If that’s the case, can you please let me know which one you used?

Thanks again for all the help. Looking forward to finishing up my mod.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the response peach-os. According to the text, there’s about 5 GND connection (07, 08, 14, 16, 19), does it matter which GND is should use for the pwr/led and USB? Or should I a specific GND? If that’s the case, can you please let me know which one you used?

Thanks again for all the help. Looking forward to finishing up my mod.

sorry - didn´t see your post earlier. it doesn´t matter - if you check the connections between the ground pins with a voltmeter, you will realize that they are all connected B)

actually I didn´t make any notices when connecting it. because I needed anyway the cables (USB, Firewire,LAN) for the back, I bought short connections and cut them in two parts.

I stripped the isolations, plugged one part into the backpanel and checked the pins with the voltmeter. when I found the corresponding pin for the wire I soldered immediately the corresponding wire of the other part to that pin and double checked it afterwards.

that way I did it step by step to make sure that there are no mistakes ( what easily happens using a pinout plan).

soldering the firewire 800 was hell - I didn´t connect it directly.

I took an old IDE cable (the thin fine ones you usually find in an old mac) cut a piece of 3 cm and stripped the ends.

then I soldered the ends with a very fine tip using a magnifier. after that I procced the same way I did it with the other connections.

if the LAN connectors don´t give you a connection or a shortcut betwen some pins - don´t waste your time and cut them off as well. it seems that if you cut off the backpanel at the wrong place, the lan connectors have a shortcut somewhere on the pcb. I described an other easy solution for the LAN in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, a very impressive G5 mod, one of the best I've seen as far as sticking to the original looks yet also packing some amazing hardware in there. Very nicely done.... Would love to see some more detailed pictures of how you connected the back panel up, that is amazing.