"still waiting for root device" Screenshot and i tried everything

Grasmaaier

23 posts in this topic

Yes i have

why?

I think that this iso doesn't have the right ide kext (the generic one in this case) to make you correctly boot osx86... IMHO you have two options:

1. Install via Myzar 10.4.5, which I use with my SiS based notebook (so I'm sure it works with sis chipsets)

2. Add, using another os to boot from, e.g. ubuntu live cd, the missing kext, or your device id in AppleVIAATA.kext in the sata section, repair permissions and cross your fingers...

I know exactly how to fix that problem (I had that same problem too). what you need to do is once it says "Still Waiting for root device" you need to click the red square box witch will shut down mac wait a few seconds then click on the Green triangle it should get right past the messege.

P.S. I was using darwin 8.0.1 but many people who wern't using 8.0.1 still got it to work

kevin

Try to get your HDD to a friend, install it there, and then come back with the HDD.

This is how I did it :)

(In my case I think it was the DVD speed, although I wrote it at lowest speed...)

Good luck

Hi Install via VMWare 5.5.1

Here is the video tutorial

http://blog.adonias.cl/leer.php?id=78

your IDE chipset or SATA or SCSI or what ever hard drive controller you have might not be supported on the install DVD.

You might wanna check kernel extensions kexts for the proper driver of your hard drive controller.

Install OS X via vmware as it uses Intel Hard drive controller and it will let you install it to your partition..

again check for the proper drivers for your hard disk controller so that you can boot natively.

Hi Install via VMWare 5.5.1

Here is the video tutorial

http://blog.adonias.cl/leer.php?id=78

your IDE chipset or SATA or SCSI or what ever hard drive controller you have might not be supported on the install DVD.

You might wanna check kernel extensions kexts for the proper driver of your hard drive controller.

Install OS X via vmware as it uses Intel Hard drive controller and it will let you install it to your partition..

again check for the proper drivers for your hard disk controller so that you can boot natively.

hi tnx

i did this

i set the AF mac osx partition to active

but if i want 2 boot now

i get the message Invalid Operating System!

help me plz

hi tnx

i did this

i set the AF mac osx partition to active

but if i want 2 boot now

i get the message Invalid Operating System!

help me plz

Did you get OS X to install properly via VMWare?

Were you able to boot OS X via vmware?

Did you set a separate partition for the current windows installation and OS X x86 partition. If you did not set any partition for the two Operating system your system might not boot at all.

You need Windows to be in primary partition and OS X x86 Mac on another partition HFS+ journaled

I think it is best to follow the video on through the steps that ends at the installation process of Mac OS X x86.

You need to stop following the tutorials after that.

*note 1*

If you did follow the tutorial up to the end you need Partition Magic 8. and follow the end properly.

*note 2 better route*

If you did not follow the end of the tutorial it is best to quit following it after OS X x86 finishes to install and vmware reboots. Of course once vmware reboots you need to put a bootloader for windows and mac os x x86 to do this follow this step 9 http://www.nedprod.com/Niall_stuff/MacOS%20X/index.html

and step 9 only!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the late post.

If you still have problems pls tell a detail message on why it doesnt work and the steps you did prior to experiencing those problems.

I had the same error and got it to install on a SIS chipset by moving my dvd drive to the primary ide with the harddrive as drive I'm installing to. Some reason I can't see the secondary still after install but I have a usb case for my dvd and not much room in my mini atx for 3+ drives anyway so it's not a problem. I was using the Myzar 10.4.5 install dvd.

I had exactly the same problem with this. The permissions on the .kexts have probably gone screwy, a bad DVD author :( . Boot into your install DVD and start the terminal, then `chown root:wheel *.kext` (I think thats what I did, though something tells me I did it manually for each file. Then repair disk permissions and restart and try to boot from the HD. Hopefully this will work for you :)

I had the same problem. I believe that the problem has to do with the setting of the boot info in the drive. Originally, when I tried to install the OS, I did a repartition with Apple's OS X disc utility. When attempting to boot after installation, I would get that hangup as you did. However the Apple Utility does not seem to reset the boot loader info correctly as does a lower level format. I reformated my HD using Win98 fdisk utility by deleting the partition and repartitioning the drive using fdisk...(you don't have to actually format it in DOS etc) and then, formatted it with the OS X Disk Utility and re-installed and it booted up after installation!!!!!!!!! However, I could not use Networking nor sound. I have discovered that the previous kexts for the OS were perhaps more generous in 10.4.3. I had previously installed a 10.4.3 system on another hard drive and found info to the effect that the previous networking protocols would work with my motherboard, and in fact I had used the network with my previous 10.4.3 install. I knew my previous sound installation worked fine with the same onboard AC97 system. I reconnected my previous HD, booted up, copied the kexts to a CD (AppleAC97Audio.kext and AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext). I then rebooted up my lastest 10.4.5 install with the faulty networking and sound. I removed the offending kexts from the extensions folder in my 10.4.5 sytem. You have to use the Terminal and enter the root using the sudo -R command and then enter your password that you gave when you installed OS X. Then remove the offending kexts using the rm command - you will have to look it up -. I then copied the new kexts from the CD I had made to the root of my hard drive (copy them directly onto your hard drive icon and they will be in the root. Then copy the correct kexts to that same extensions folder in the system using the cp command. Then use the OS X Disk Utility to fix the permissions on your hard disk and reboot and you should be in business --- I WAS!! It may seem difficult but it really is not! The only issue now seems to be the Network listing pane in the GO menu but I can get around it using the server connect dialog box and browse. I have connected to the web and my LAN and can play sounds and listen to music with iTunes. Good luck.