Help choose my next MB  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Most/best compatible board?

• P55m-UD2
    • P55m-UD4
    • P55-UD3R
    • Other (please reply with specific)

11 posts in this topic

It seems that some people have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get their various Audio and/or LAN cards working, and I'm just wondering if there is a consensus as to which is the most compatible board. This is some of the information I've compiled from reading 20 pages of the main P55 thread. Focus is mostly Gigabyte boards obviously.

All these boards have the Realtek 8111D ethernet controller.

use http://www.kexts.com/view/117-realtekr1000...!!.html

ALC888 boards.

(use http://www.kexts.com/view/147-acl888_hd_audio.html and delete AppleHDA.kext)

(possibly set Azalia Codec to auto in BIOS)

P55-UD3L-TPM

P55-UD3P

P55-UD3R

P55-UD3

P55-UD3L

P55-US3L

P55-UD4

ALC888B boards.

(LegacyHDA.kext/AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.1 via tonymacx86's blog)

(possible with DSDT.am HDEF trick ?)

P55M-UD2

ALC889A

(VoodooHDA.kext and remove AppleHDA.kext)

(AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.0 or 10.6.1 and LegacyHDA.kext+ possible DSDT hack)

(possibly mess with Azalia Codec in BIOS)

P55-UD4P

P55M-UD4

P55-UD5

P55-UD6

P55-UD6-C

There are P55A variants that have USB3.0 feature which I assume would not work well with OSX at the moment. Some of these boards appear to come with ALC889 nonA according to the Gigabyte website.

If anyone knows any reason why one or more of these boards would work better than the others, please let me know.

Otherwise I'll assume that the USB3et'al is unnecessary.

I'm torn between the two micro ATX boards and the UD3R. Does anyone know if all/any of these boards allow 1-16x video + 1-4x video for extra monitors?

If you have any of these and have audio/ethernet/anything else working, please reply so I can continue to compile this list. If you choose "Other" for the poll please reply with the other and why.

got the ALC889A my UD4P working thanks!

i ended up having to remove AppleHDA when using VoodooHDA. only working out of the front headphone port which is OK for know, but will probably have to get on to LegacyHDA and patching my DSDT.

got the ALC889A my UD4P working thanks!

i ended up having to remove AppleHDA when using VoodooHDA. only working out of the front headphone port which is OK for know, but will probably have to get on to LegacyHDA and patching my DSDT.

That is very odd... Well not the removing AppleHDA, but that none of your back ports work.

I'd probably rerun the test after messing with the Azalia-codec options in the BIOS.

Please don't buy Gigabyte boards. :X

Wait for it...

He's gonna back up his opinion ....

On a side note, I was thinking about getting a P55m-UD2 but I always try to go as silent as possible. I have the original Scythe Ninja+Nexus120mm fan in my current rig, which is apparently incompatible with the 1156 socket boards.

I've been thinking about the Zalman CNPS10X Quiet model, but I'm worried on the P55m-UD2 that it would cover the primary graphics PCI express card.

I've found that the CNPS10X is a 140mm cube approximately, so if anyone could measure from the center of the socket to the Primary PCIExpress slot and see if its >70mm??

OR, can I use the orange PCIexpress slot on the P55m-UD4 for the primary graphics card? Then I could use whatever CPU cooler I wanted.

EDIT: DARN newegg took the case I wanted off sale (Antec mini P180), so I guess I'll use the midtower P150 I have :D so now there isn't any REAL reason to try to get one of the mini MLBs.

I need to order at least some of my stuff today though to get the sale price on my GPU, so please help me out on the cooler issue.

There is also Asus P7P55D series. Unfortunately, not much to say at this time, I don't have a decent video card for OS X. My 4850 sucks and do not work.

Thank you for your reply and probably vote.

I don't personally see anything on the P7P55D series that is enticing over the GA lineup.

The audio chipset seems to be limited to VoodooHDA.kext (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I personally have chosen the P55M-UD2, so we will all see how that goes.

I hope the information contained in this thread (and votes) will help more people.

• 9 months later...
I personally have chosen the P55M-UD2, so we will all see how that goes.

The GA-P55M-UD2 has an ALC888b.

All the audio support needs is the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 and the Legacy888bHDA.kext from tonymacx86's site, or the Mediafire site which supports the GoogleGroups HQ-A site (of which I am a manager).

I have both a GA-H55M-S2H/i3-540 (nVidia PCI-e graphics, 8400GS) and a GA-P55M-UD2/i5-760 (also nVidia PCI-e graphics, 9500GT), both on 10.6.4, running here, and both use the same audio support: the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and the Legacy888bHDA.kext.

Both of my systems are about as "vanilla" as it gets.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am having problems with the audio on the p55m-ud2, any chance you have any insight?

I first tried the latest latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method to put on snow leopard 10.6.5 with the dsdt for the p55m-ud2 f11 bios from the database, and had no luck with that method. i eventually reinstalled and used the easy beast method and got everything working but sleep and, i think, the front audio ports.

THis is my extras/extensions list:

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

JMicron36xATA.kext

JMicron36xSATA.kext

Legacy888bHDA.kext

LegacyAppleRTC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

and the appleHDA.kext in my system/library/extensions is v. 1.7.9

SOSO SO SO SO appreciate any advice!!!!!!!!

thanks

steve

MB:p55m-ud2

graphics: xfx GeForce 9500 GT

4 g ram (corsair)

1TB Seagate SATA drive

All the audio support needs is the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 and the Legacy888bHDA.kext from tonymacx86's site, or the Mediafire site which supports the GoogleGroups HQ-A site (of which I am a manager).

I have both a GA-H55M-S2H/i3-540 (nVidia PCI-e graphics, 8400GS) and a GA-P55M-UD2/i5-760 (also nVidia PCI-e graphics, 9500GT), both on 10.6.4, running here, and both use the same audio support: the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext and the Legacy888bHDA.kext.

Hi,

I am having problems with the audio on the p55m-ud2, any chance you have any insight?

I first tried the latest latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method to put on snow leopard 10.6.5 with the dsdt for the p55m-ud2 f11 bios from the database, and had no luck with that method. i eventually reinstalled and used the easy beast method and got everything working but sleep and, i think, the front audio ports.

THis is my extras/extensions list:

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

JMicron36xATA.kext

JMicron36xSATA.kext

Legacy888bHDA.kext

LegacyAppleRTC.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

and the appleHDA.kext in my system/library/extensions is v. 1.7.9

SOSO SO SO SO appreciate any advice!!!!!!!!

thanks

steve

MB:p55m-ud2

graphics: xfx GeForce 9500 GT

4 g ram (corsair)

1TB Seagate SATA drive

I can't get my P55-UD3L board to install snow leopard.

All is fine until "Starting Darwin/x86" then it reboots.

I have an i3 530 processor.

I have ahci enabled, hpet option on 64 bit. My bios version is FH and i use the dsdt from tonymacx86 and chameleon 2.0 RC5.

I've tried cpus=1, busratio=22, -f, x it does not matter it always restarts.

I'm at wits end with this board...

P55-UD3L FH

i3 530

nVidia 8500

2 GB DDR3

Chameleon RC5

Retail Snow Leopard DVD image