Snow Leopard Install for Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 w/ USB 3.0

r0tt3n

138 posts in this topic

Hello Cybex:

I know you've probably been very busy I wish we could iChat so I could go over this with you and even let you take over my system so you can guide me through this. I really need sound. I'm know this is not your issue because you've been kind enough to help to the extent that you have. It's just that I have a business and I need to produce videos that involve sound and want this to really work. If you can help that would be very helpful. If you need anything else from me to make this easier or if you need a part or something in exchange for helping me let me know that too. I just have to get productive. Thanks...

Via PM you told me that Terminal says "dd: boot1h: No such file or directory". This means that you did not enter the directory with the bootloader. I forgot a step in the step by step guide I made, see 5.1:

1) Download the diskimage and mount it

2) Copy all files to your new USB stick (or HDD, doesn't matter)

3) Find the rdisk number of the USB stick or HDD ((Use DiskUtility (right click, get info) to get rdisk number, in this example we use rdisk0))

4) Download a bootloader, for example Aserebln

5) Extract it

5.1) Open a Terminal in Mac OS X and change directory to the bootloader. Just type "cd" and drag the directory in the Terminal. It will be replaced by the path, for example: "cd /Users/John/Desktop/bootloader/"

6) Type the following commands Be sure to replace the rdisk number if needed!

sudo -s
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
cp boot /Volumes/VOLUMENAME/   (REPLACE VOLUMENAME WITH THE VOLUMENAME OF THE USB STICK OR HDD)
exit

7) Make sure the biossettings are correct (use AHCI, 64bit hpet, etc (google for all settings)) and make sure your bootdevice is set to the HDD / USB Stick you just created.

Again thank you for your reply. Here is what I did; mind you I have directly copied it right from the Terminal:

Last login: Wed Jun 30 03:01:57 on ttys000

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:~ ladislao$ cd/Users/ladislao/Downloads/Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9 sudo -s

-bash: cd/Users/ladislao/Downloads/Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9: No such file or directory

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:~ ladislao$ fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk3

fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:~ ladislao$ dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk3

dd: boot1h: No such file or directory

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:~ ladislao$ cp boot /Volumes/Boot (v1.3)

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:~ ladislao$

If you haven't guessed by now Ladislao is my name. I hope this can be figured out. BTW, when you say drag the "directory" do you mean the folder with all the files in it? Because I don't see the "bootloader" just Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9 (which is probably the "bootloader"). Am I to only grab one of the files or the whole folder of files and drag the folder of files into the Terminal?

Also, it still keeps saying "No such file or directory" and my disk info says "disk3" so that is what I"m replacing the commands with.

Lastly, I cannot get rid of Boot (v1.3) and rename it something different, it simply won't let me get rid of the "()" symbols. I delete them and they still keep coming back and I also renamed the image itself when I copied (or should I say restored the file from the "source" to the destination", but still the same name comes right back on Disk Utility.

Again, thanks for the help...

no problem. You are leading me down the RIGHT direction but I still have this minor "()" issue:

Last login: Wed Jun 30 03:14:12 on ttys000

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:~ ladislao$ cd /Users/ladislao/Downloads/Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9 ladislao$ sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk3

bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk3

dd: /dev/rdisk3: Resource busy

bash-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot (v1.3)/

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

bash-3.2#

What can I do if I can't change it?

By the way, when I am "copying" the Boot (v1.3) to the USB drive am I to use "Restore" to drag the "Boot" to the Source and then drag the clean partitioned USB drive to the "Destination?" Again, thanks...

This command:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk3

needs the partition also, like this:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk3s2

Look at the last "s2", this means partition 2. You need to check this via DiskUtility, to make sure you use the correct number.

About the last command, just use finder to copy the "boot" file to the USB stick / HDD.

I just noticed that when I do a right click "information" check on my main USB Stick it shows "disk3" then when I do a right click "information" check on my newly partitioned volume it is called "disk3s1". Does that mean anything and should I name my files in terminal something different or should I stick with "rdisk3s2"? Thanks...

Okay, here's what I got:

Last login: Wed Jun 30 03:44:49 on ttys000

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:~ ladislao$ cd /Users/ladislao/Downloads/Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9

Ladislao-Mac-Pro:Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9 ladislao$ sudo -s

Password:

bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk3

bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk3s1

2+0 records in

2+0 records out

1024 bytes transferred in 0.001455 secs (703747 bytes/sec)

bash-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/soundboot

bash-3.2#

the only thing is when I try to "exit" Terminal says "closing this window will terminate the running processes: login, bash, bash."

Do I save this file somewhere or just quit no matter what happens to the file? Thanks...

I'm just about to do this thing, are you there? I don't want to risk closing the Terminal file and losing that info, but is that what I'm supposed to do or am I to save the file somewhere? Thanks...

Hey Cybex (or Cy which, if you don't mind I call you from now on):

Just wanted to let you know that I did everything you said and everything was put in correctly in the Terminal, BUT when I restarted the system and BIO'd the USB as my start up disk the screen was black with this white text saying "bootmgr is missing." Well I guess that means boot manager. I did see a screen prior to that one saying "Windows (with a pic of a hard drive) and text saying something like "press any key for start up options." Of course I left it alone. But what was puzzling was why did it say Windows and not my Mac HD named LADISLAO? By the way, Ladislao is my first name, hence the reason why I call it "LADISLAO." Well, that's when I got that "bootmgr is missing" text right after then I had to shut down everything because I got tired of waiting (after 5 minutes) of nothing except seeing that same black screen with that text.

This time I tried it again, but disconnected all the HD's except the Mac SSD. I once again BIO'd everything correctly and the USB (again) was first and the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD was second to be read by the system and waited. Everything (I thought) went through, but it actually didn't. What happened was my system just started up normally as it did before, and still no "output" or "input" devices are reading in Sys Prefs in the Sound Menu.

So today I listened to someone else (Paulo - from the video link from YouTube that I shared with all of you in my initial intro post) and he said, just get a pair of cheap USB speakers for now. I'm sure Cyber will help you and you both will figure it out together, in the mean time just do that and at least you'll have sound. Well, I did it and I do have sound but it's NOT the best.

Cy, I hope you can help me (as best as you can) to help me figure out what "bootmgr is missing" means. Again, thanks for getting me this far. The funny thing is in all of this is that we are creating a LIVE tutorial for others that are going to go through the same mess we all have or are going through. I look forward to your help today if you can do it... :rolleyes:

When you enter the bootmanager (which displays a Windows icon in your case), press the TAB key. You will see an overview of all partitions that can be booted by the bootloader. Note the number infront of you Mac OS X HDD / SSD. For example: HD1,2.

Then edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist on your USB / HDD and change this according to your layout:

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,3)</string>

When you reboot, you'll boot into Mac OS X normally.

About your audio, you need to use this kext: http://www.kexts.com/view/405-binary_patch..._x_10.6.4).html

See info for the installation method.

Tomorrow morning I will go on a vacation, so I can't help you anymore. I hope this was helpfull enough for you to proceed. Goodluck!

Okay everyone, "works like a charm" isn't working... well, like a charm... I tried everything I could from what Cy had directed me to do but to NO AVAIL. Nobody's fault here, it's just like the old saying that I live by from time to time - "It is what it is..."

I tried everything from partitioning the USB and creating the correct "image" to mount the files to just plainly copying the files onto the USB. Even when partitioning I used "journaled" and "case sensitive journaled" and GUID (whatever that means).

When I tried the latest file adjustments that Cy directed me with I still see nothing, except that same "bootmgr" issue; even used the tab key when I supposed to when I started everything up and still got that "bootmgr" issue, so ummmm... I decided to seek more input and spoke with a guy on YouTube who calls himself the HACKINTOSH KING (actually his YouTube name is: miked826). He basically told me what I already found out on my own on newegg.com; here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812186035

Well, if anyone knows me by now I like to experiment and see how far I can push it, because lets face that's why we're all here, right ?!?! I didn't just want a USB Stereo adapter to play just 2 speaks (or maybe all 5), but a digital surround sound adapter; why? Because I have Logitech Z-5500 speaks and don't want to waste good sound for AWESOME sound. Well I bought this instead at Fry's.com:

http://www.frys.com/product/5189256?site=s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I went to the actual location to buy an open box unit and had the price reduced to $22.00, because there were things missing; the CD and USB cable. Although not entitled correctly on the link provided, it's actually the Siig USB SoundWave 7.1 Pro - Virtual 7.1-channel surround sound USB audio adapter with Optical S/PDIF out

Part #: CE-S00022-S1. Try to say that whole thing 3 times fast.

Well, I connected the Siig optical connector to the USB unit and then connected my Monster Cable Optical Cable right to my speaks and I FINALLY NOW HAVE DIGITAL SURROUND SOUND !!!!! YEAH !!!!! Now onto producing some vids for our products for our business, before the economy completely collapses and we are subject to a world-wide currency, before we all eventually get "chipped." Which, by the way, I'm totally against...

I do again, want to thank Cy for all his help and I know there are others on here looking and maybe with what you followed here (instructionally speaking) may have helped you get the sound to work. If not then you have other options to get your existing speakers to work by using a inexpensive USB sound adapter of some kind that ranges from $5.00 to $35.00.

Hey Cy, when you get back from your vacation, please let me know what I may have done incorrectly and I will try it again to see if we can work through this, if time permits for you to make this work with the proper kext files... Thanks again, Cy and I look forward to hearing back from you soon... Later...

Hey everyone, I just want to follow up with those that have been following this particular post. Here is my Mac Hak Pro. My FIRST EVER PC/Mac Build. I'm extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to make this happen. Thanks to all who participated in their contribution; especially:

- Paulo Dourado - with his YouTube video that inspired me to make this build happen as well as helping me through every little thing that was needed in the installation process of Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4. THIS GUY HAS GOT SOME MAD SKILLS AND IS FLAT OUT AMAZING FOR HIS AGE !!! I'll just say this, I'm a little more than twice his.

- Todd & Tim at Koolance for their individual input on the liquid cooling install process (Now I'm a reseller for their product line)

- Joel at Silverstone for the case, parts & fan choice (I too also resell their product line)

- John at Sidewindercomputers.com - who helped me find all the other parts that I needed to make the liquid cooling process happen.

- Mike - on YouTube (named: Miked826) who also helped me get some things straight when I started to have some issues with my unit.

- Cybex - who made the biggest mistake; posting his initial comment on here that got me asking more questions. Thanks man for all your input and help, when at the end of all of it purchasing a USB optical sound adapter ended up happening instead. At least we tried and made the effort and that's what matters. Thanks again.

Most of all I want to thank God and my Wife - who was very patient with me in watching the kids when I was going out of my mind trying to figure out how to put all of this together !!! :) VERY TIGHT BUILD, but everything fit !!!

As you can see, I have both the Mobo and processor separately water cooled. The Intel i7 930 Core is running at 4.09 GHz using AS5 @ 42C, but will be using the Indigo-Xtreme (a Phase Change Metallic Alloy) here shortly; but not before a thorough temp video review coming soon. I'm excited to see how much lower the temps will be. Who knows, I may be able to clock it a bit higher to 4.2 GHz. But for now I'm extremely happy with my Geekbench 64bit scores @ 13,857...

A few things to mention, the pic that has the control knobs on the top of the unit were custom cut and screwed on to fit and are completely out of the way when the cover is on. Oh, and please ignore the tape that is on the bottom 3 Rad; I only used that for placement purposes when I was building. I actually had to pull out the bottom Rad a few times to refit the wires and light rods. The tape is now gone. The Silverstone FM121 fans were all initially white, but spray painted the outer shell mat black and the fans UV Bright Green. And they react VERY WELL to the UV Light Rods. All cables and wires have been tucked away in back of the unit and are properly managed, so as to provide as much airflow possible in the unit. Lastly, I took the Hackintosh logo (designed by Jonzy; provided for free here: http://jonzy.deviantart.com/art/Apple-Skull-110417872) and slightly remodified it. Then had it digitally etched by a local engraver where we live (if you want to call 50 miles away local :thumbsup_anim:). He did an amazing job. I even went a bit further on my mod and changed .png file of the apple screen logo to use Jonzy's Hackintosh logo (once again).

Hope you like the pics and I look forward to any feedback that anyone has. Thanks again - EVERYONE !!! :whistle:

Mac_Hak_Pro__1_.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_2__1_.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_1__2_.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_1__1_.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_1.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_4.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_2.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_8.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_7.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_6.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_9.jpg

Mac_Hak_Pro_14.jpg

Hey Cybex - Some vacation... I KNEW you've reading these posts !!! I got a feeling you were at wits end with helping me, and needed one. (or just had to say that in your last post a week ago just so you wouldn't have to reply back to me anymore). LOL !!!

In any case, your name is just fine (go ahead look at it again), you must have just woken up and read it wrong (somewhere at the hotel you're staying at on your "vacation")... Just kidding... THANKS AGAIN Cybex for all your help !

P.S. BTW, I was only kidding about what I just said. I'm sure you went on vacation and had a great time...

On a side note, what do you think of the unit?

There is absolutely no reason to make up the vacation, if I didn't want to help anymore then I would just say so. In the meanwhile I am still at Crete (Greece) and enjoying my vacation. I'm online now through the hotel wifi with my MacBook Pro (which I am very happy with). I'll PM you an url with holyday pics from me for the {censored} of it.

The unit is nice, check out my unit also :P

http://www.freepic.nl/img=e197a4c7bb

http://www.freepic.nl/img=62c7ea6013

(also watercooled)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have ga-x58a-ud7 rev 1.0 ... i'm trying to install in vanilla way ...

i use USB Image 1,3, with chamaleon 2.0 R4 on it.

Installation goes OK with -x because i have 8800GTX.

After installation i insert my EFI string in com.apple.Boot.plist and now i boot with the USB Images with only com.apple.Boot.plist modded, and video is OK, QE/CI enabled.

Resume from sleep ok, resume from standby ok, reset and shutdown ok.

Audio doesn't work ;) What's the problem ?

On http://www.kexts.com/view/191-gigabyte_ga-x58a-ud7.html in description audio must be work ...

Since 10.6.4 you'll need a patched AppleHDA.kext because Apple hardcoded the device id's. You'll need this: http://www.kexts.com/view/405-binary_patch..._x_10.6.4).html

Hi Cybex, i don't upgrade to 10.6.4, i'm on a fresh installation (10.6.0) ...

any way, doesn't work :D On USB Boot i have only original extesions.mkext, without any kext in /Extra/Extensions ...i must update to 10.6.4 ?

another question: why the Gigabyte USB Image boot don't recognize cdroms ? i want to try installation by this, instead [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ...