Lepoard on a blue/white G3

hotroddd1

5 posts in this topic

Ok so I know the G3 is old, however my roommate just came home with one. I'm curious to know if there is a stripped down version of 10.5 that can run on it.

SPECS

=====

G3 PowerPC 400 MHz Processor

64 MB RAM

10 GB HDD

I know its way under the bar, and I don't even care if it's slow. If it installs and runs I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't bother. 64MB is way too small for Leo. You will need at least 512MB. I have B&W G3, and my experience is that 10.2 or 10.3 can run fine, 10.4 with a lots of RAM which you (obviously) don't have. 10.5 is mission impossible.

• 7 months later...

Leopard PPC is optimized for G4/G5 cpus and requires the Altivec extension of those cpus. A G3 has none of it, so I doubt it would work.

Its similar with Hackintoshes requirement of SSE2,SSE3 and so on. Capabilities of the CPU which an OS is designed ( read : compiled ) for.You cannot add cpu support which is not included, not lower it, only add support for higher classed ones .

Microsoft is a bit more generous : Vista and 7 installs and works even on Pentium II,III and AMD K7 Cpus which both are stoneage old. This is not funny, but at least it works for those that wish to do such setups for what reason ever.