[How To] Install iAtkos v7 on VMware Workstation

jawcl

55 posts in this topic

I've successfully started the iDeneb 1.6 installer on VMware Player with the startup options posted earlier "-v -f busratio=10 cpus=1". Now I just have to hope the customisations I've made in the installer will work.

Ugh so close to getting it working.

It installed on Dell Latitude E6500, but when I reboot without DVD I get "operating system not found".

I found the following posts on another site (link) with the same issue + solution.

pumpin

got it installed but...

made it to finish setup but i cant start after the install,

when i hit F8 after installing booting with parameters it starts from the cd again if i hit nothing it boots from hdd (i think) but i get an error. cause i cant set any parameters.

when i disable the Iso in the VM i get an error "operating system not found - so what should i do now?

pumpin

made it...

got it to work,starting with another method by using the darwin.iso.

but now my VM runs with a retail Snow Leopard

using boot-123 procedure...

audio works perfectly, even system update via apple servers...

He mentions he solves it by booting with "darwin.iso" (?) and another poster confirms he solved the same issue.

Can anyone point me in the directions of obtaining the darwin.iso file?

I've searched these forums and google and I've been unsuccesfull. I thought it was supposed to be in the VMware tools package so I downloaded and extracted the vmwaretools for ubuntu and couldn't find it.

Any pointers would be appriciated.

Cheers

------- update ----------

Fixed!

I downloaded the "Original/Generic" boot-132 iso from this thread here

Booted the VM from that ISO, I then had to select which disc I wanted (80 primary, 81 secondary HD etc). Choosed 80, and then I could enter my normall booting params. I used "-v -f busratio=31 cpus=1" (the same as I used for installing). After that you'll get a big blob of text messages and about 2minutes later I was finalizing my setup :)

Hey i am a total newbie in the osx86 scene and i have a questions. does the install works on this machine ?

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

2.31 GHz, 2,00 GB Ram

SSE(1,2,3)

Mainboard:

Biostargroup NF61D-A2

Chipset: NVIDIA MCP61

DDR2 2048 MBytes

Network adapter (card?)

NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps ethernet

greeting form germany :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm out to try this method.

I've tried a VM already prepared from a torrent and it runs and feels great but I can't get large packages to install.

No Iphone SDK no iPhone Simulator or anything close to 150MB.

Programming for the iPhone was the purpose of the Snow Install and since I've got already 3 OS's in my laptop I'm not in the mood for a 4th one will all the boot fuss.

try changing your drive to scsi it speeds things up, try giving it more ram like 2 gb and 2 cores, and also make sure vmware tools and zeniths drivers are installed because this speeds things up alot.

My setup is 2gb and 2 cores on non vt-x, also vmare tools and zeniths display driver. I just installed update 10.6.3 which is 750mb and works just fine.

try changing your drive to scsi it speeds things up, try giving it more ram like 2 gb and 2 cores, and also make sure vmware tools and zeniths drivers are installed because this speeds things up alot.

I didn't try scsi nor vmware tools nor extra drivers but had already given it 2 gb and 2 cores.

My setup is 2gb and 2 cores on non vt-x, also vmare tools and zeniths display driver. I just installed update 10.6.3 which is 750mb and works just fine.

The strange thing is that the update to 10.6.3 went through flawessly and the virtual machine runs at very acceptable speed, it's just on large packages that is starts installing and it gets progressively slower as it approaches the end which it never reaches. ;)

Have you tried looking at installer log to see where it is getting stuck at?

I have some packages that took like 2-3 hrs to install, maybe try giving it a long time and seeing if they finish.

Show installer log here and I will try to help you out.

• 1 month later...
Change or copy and paste these lines :

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

if u have Leopard then the guest OS should be "darwin" or "darwin-64"

and don't forget to change the smc.present line if its TRUE change it to FALSE and thats all. you will not get the error again !! so most ipmortant is to change the freebsd to darwin

I needed to downgrade VM Version to 6.0 from VMWARE Workstation 7.1.0 menu (VM->upgrade or change version) and now i don't have the VT error on start up using darking as OS or rebooting using FreeBSD OS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

People I have done what you wrote and it's working.

Only problem that I have that the system starts very slowly and also working very slowly.

Guest hardware:

1 GB RAM

1 2core CPU

16GB HDD

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi. I tried to install IAtkos in my SONY FW510f laptop.

I followed your instructions.

When i set -v -busratio=7 cpus=1 options on boot IAtkos installatioon started.(Otherwise it says "A virtual CPU has entered the shut down state"). I installed it and after rebooting chameleon is starting but after loading Darwin VMWare says " A virtual CPU has entered the shut down state". In this time -v -busratio=7 cpus=1 options don`t help me. I tried to put in config file guestOS="darwin" at this time VMWare says that i need hardware virtualization host. But my processor is Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 and it does not support hardware virtualization.

Please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Hi. I tried to install IAtkos in my SONY FW510f laptop.

I followed your instructions.

When i set -v -busratio=7 cpus=1 options on boot IAtkos installatioon started.(Otherwise it says "A virtual CPU has entered the shut down state"). I installed it and after rebooting chameleon is starting but after loading Darwin VMWare says " A virtual CPU has entered the shut down state". In this time -v -busratio=7 cpus=1 options don`t help me. I tried to put in config file guestOS="darwin" at this time VMWare says that i need hardware virtualization host. But my processor is Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 and it does not support hardware virtualization.

Please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Did you follow the guide correctly?

Type "cpus -z" to see what ur busratio should be, also did u do all the customizations like the tutorial said?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody, Hi Jawcl;

i'm a real newbie here i've never tryied to install mac on my pc before, i tried doing it using your tutorial but i'm getting a error message that i can't understand!!

I joined the snapshot i with somebody can help me,

My Hardware config is:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R ICH10 Family

Core 2 Quad Q9650

ATI Radeon HD 4670

With it's not a problem with my hardware.

Thx in advance for everybody, you're doing a great job.

post-106965-1281172630_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

well thanks for this post i really appreciate but one thing i dont think the specified hdd size and the ram is neccessary for this to work..it is only the boot commands..

i was able to boot iatkos s3 v2 but my problem is that my mouse wont work i have a acer laptop and the touchpad is also not responsive.. what can i do plz help me anybody or give me the installation shortcut keys..

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Tatevik; I have managed to install iAtkos on a VM, but the Chameleon bootloader always crashes and gives a "Virtual CPU" error ("...has entered a shutdown state"). I had a look at the boot process in verbose mode, and it shows that the whole boot actually occurs seamlessly, until it actually attempts to start "Darwin x86" and that is when the error occurs. I had a look through these posts and am currently doing as javierbsas did; downgrading the (cloned) workstation to 6.0. I have attachted my verbose mode result: Mac_OS_X__verbose_boot_.bmp

Thanks in advance,

the1mike1man.

Oh, the host PC's specs are:

AMD Sempron LE-1250 (Eek, I know, but I thought it was worth a shot, I've managed to get this far anyway)

2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7300GS (Again, eek, only 256MB :/)

Oh, and another eek, ASUS M2N VM-DH (JMicron :/)

But, you know, it's all virtualization right :P

Come to think of it, I'm surprised I've got this far, no AMD-V, JMicron and a 2.2GHz Processor, but I suppose that explains the epic fail of trying to install iAtkos direct onto my hard drive (FAIL, FAIL, FAIL.) Anywaaay, I should, SHOULD, be able to get it working on VMware and then make the Virtual disk into physical data, but do you need AMD-V for the OS to run?

UPDATE: After downgrading to Workstation 6.0, nothing. Exactly the same thing happens. Also, I should have said before, but this is just touching on what I asked before; when I load the VM, VMware tells me that the "Host is not capable of Hardware Virtualization" (This is on FreeBSD or 'Other' GuestOS) and that it will use "Software MMU". When the GuestOS is "darwin","darwin-64", or "darwin10-64", VMware produces an error on load: "This Host does not have Hardware Virtualization and Mac OS X is not compatible with Software MMU, so the OS cannot boot". Something along those lines. So I reckon that's my problem, meh, I was going to buy a hexcore anyway. (AMD Phenom II X6 FTW) :P

Never mind, done it. Well, mostly. I can sucessfully get onto Darwin/x86, but now I'm getting a "Still waiting for root device" error, i.e a grey stop sign on the Apple loading screen. I've tried disconnected all the other device and just left the hard drive and I've tried safe mode, but to no avail. Has any else experienced and overcome this problem?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to install 10.6.3 iAtkos on vmware 7.0 using cpus=1 busratio=7 but after a few seconds a kernel panic error appears :

21mvqcp.jpg

MY VMX File:

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

nvram = "Mac OS X.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "hard"

powerType.suspend = "hard"

powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "Mac OS X"

extendedConfigFile = "FreeBSD.vmxf"

scsi0.present = "FALSE"

scsi0.sharedBus = "none"

scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"

memsize = "768"

scsi0:0.present = "FALSE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD.vmdk"

scsi0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "j:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

ide1:0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"

ethernet0.features = "1"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.networkName = "HostOnly"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

guestOS = "freebsd"

uuid.location = "56 4d 89 45 85 08 e1 1d-bf 68 c4 10 81 f5 3a 74"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 89 45 85 08 e1 1d-bf 68 c4 10 81 f5 3a 74"

vc.uuid = "52 44 cc 9d 83 e5 49 16-69 08 75 93 27 8f f3 f7"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:f5:3a:74"

debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "-1"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "-731531132"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD.vmdk"

ide0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"

ide0:0.redo = ""

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

cleanShutdown = "TRUE"

replay.supported = "TRUE"

replay.filename = ""

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "TRUE"

maxvcpus = "1"

paevm = TRUE

I installed it on my PC successfully (Without VMWare) but I need kext for my VGA & WLan & Sound Card !

My PC Spec:

Core 2 Quad Q8200

Asus P5Q

2x2GB DDR2-1066

250GB SATA2

Radeon HD5850

X-fi Xtreme Music

Linksys WMP54G WLan

Please help me install it on vmware & find kext files for my PC hardware.

• 3 weeks later...
Never mind, done it. Well, mostly. I can sucessfully get onto Darwin/x86, but now I'm getting a "Still waiting for root device" error, i.e a grey stop sign on the Apple loading screen. I've tried disconnected all the other device and just left the hard drive and I've tried safe mode, but to no avail. Has any else experienced and overcome this problem?

Thanks.

Can you please explain how you succesfuly loaded Darvin/x86, I have the exact same problem you had because of an older PC with no hardware virtualization. Thanx

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent post!!

I was able to install iATKOS v_7 on my new HP dm4 Inter i5, 4GB, 500 GB HDD and VMWare Workstation 7.x

However, when i boot using the HDD, i just get the screen with Apple logo and the white spinning wheel.

In VM i can see the HDD light blinking, but it has been like 15 minutes and i haven't got the main screen yet ;).

Any idea what may be wrong or whether i can troubleshoot?

Excellent post!!

I was able to install iATKOS v_7 on my new HP dm4 Inter i5, 4GB, 500 GB HDD and VMWare Workstation 7.x

However, when i boot using the HDD, i just get the screen with Apple logo and the white spinning wheel.

In VM i can see the HDD light blinking, but it has been like 15 minutes and i haven't got the main screen yet :wacko: .

Any idea what may be wrong or whether i can troubleshoot?

Sorry to be an evangelist, but if you have this sort of hardware, then go to an Apple store or go to Apple online spent £25, €30 or $35 and buy the latest Apple Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD and use Albert's Unlocker or Donk's darwin iso, links below, and run a completely vanilla OS X under VMware Workstation or Player. Do not get me wrong if you do not have a processor that support VT-x, i.e older Intel or any AMD processor then fine but if you have a current or recent generation Intel processor with VT-x support then the world of OS X can be a much easier and clearer world, end of the advert, thanks for your time, MSoK!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1186508

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1485873

You will find me monitoring both these forums so if you have the required hardware and choose the Vanilla trail, I and other Geeks, Sages and even Legends will be on hand to help, welcome to the the light side.