ALC882 Snow Leopard Drivers

mic.mac.hack

28 posts in this topic

The sound chipset ALC882 is now functioning well under Snow Leopard (tested on 10.6).

What works (32bit & 64bit):

line-out

headphone

line-in

front mic

digital? (untested by me, reportedly works.)

What doesn't:

back mic

Huge thanks to matemago (and original creators of the kexts), I take no credit for this I just thought I'd make this driver available.

Make sure you remove VoodooHDA and rebuild you Extensions.mkext, etc after installing. AppleHDA.kext MUST go in /System/Library/Extensions/ (install with KextUtility) whilst HDAEnabler.kext can go in /Extra/Extensions/ if you so wish.

note: on my P5W DH Deluxe I have audio set to "vista mode" in the BIOS

ALC882_matemago.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
there have been a fair few downloads, how are the kexts working out for those downloaders?

I've got mine still installed and its running strong :D

As no one has replied thought i would! Thanks for bringing this up works a treat for me!

Just wondering if there is anyway to make it use my 5.1 sound system? It shows the 3 outputs and plays all the speakers separately? is there any way to get them all to play at the same time or anything?

Nope did not work for me

Dang, pity really. Perhaps you could try the latest version of VoodooHDA, output worked for me (not sure about 5.1) but the inputs were stuffed which is the main audio "component" I need.

Sorry I can't be of more help

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone managed to see SPDIF 5.1 digital output working?

This is my first post and i would like to thank everyone who has posted on this forum, it has helped me a lot !!

anyway soooo

I got 5.1 digital out working using this guide:

[GUIDE] How to port AppleHDA to SL

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-how-t...da-to-sl-t3981/

Here is a codec dump you can use with AplleHDAPatcher if you dont have a working 10.5.* AppleHDA

ALC882_0x1043e601.txt

I think i used it on 10.5.6

But theres a catch... 5.1 digital out only worked with Videolan Player with its audio output set to Digital (Encoded)

The normal "Digital" set in System Preferences > Audio > would produce only 3.0 (LEFT CENTER RIGHT)

** i did not test any analog connections.

Heres another guide i found very usefull for my P5W (Use google translater polish > english)

http://forum.osx86.org.pl/topics27/fixy-ds...susow-vt857.htm

and

http://forum.osx86.org.pl/topics4/mac-os-x...tosh-vt1132.htm

The DSDT and kexts from those links resulted in 3.0 Digital but videolan player no longer has the option to set Digital (Encoded) output ;)

Let us know how it goes for you.

Good luck

Edit:

I ran a couple tests using the kexts from the above guide (NOT the patched AppleHDA)

3.0 Digital worked

5.1 Analog worked (Using Audio Midi Setup)

Line In worked

The patched AppleHDA method gave the following results

3.0 Digital worked

5.1 Digital worked [using videolan player > audio > Digital (encoded)]

4.0 Analog worked (Using Audio Midi Setup)

No input worked for me

• 1 month later...
The sound chipset ALC882 is now functioning well under Snow Leopard (tested on 10.6).

line-out

headphone

line-in

front mic

What doesn't:

back mic

Huge thanks to matemago (and original creators of the kexts), I take no credit for this I just thought I'd make this driver available.

Make sure you remove VoodooHDA and rebuild you Extensions.mkext, etc after installing. AppleHDA.kext MUST go in /System/Library/Extensions/ (install with KextUtility) whilst HDAEnabler.kext can go in /Extra/Extensions/ if you so wish.

HI YA. thanks very mutch for this sound kext. works great with my Asus p5w DH Deluxe. running snow leopard

• 1 month later...

Hey hey, confirmed working in 10.6.3

I simply deleted SleepEnabler from /Extra/Extensions/ (left everything else the same) and AppleHPET from /S/L/E (after installation). Left everything else the same. When I rebooted sound was dead, but reinstalling just AppleHDA in S/L/E gave the same functionality as before :P

Upgrade away!

• 3 weeks later...

Im only one sound step away from using the retail version of MAC on my P5WDH Deluxe. But the sound may be the biggest problem, since im using SPDIF/out for my z-5500 sound system. Altough i tried VoodooHDA (latest version) it didn't work, but i had a little luck with matemago's kexts posted first. Im able to listen to the music, but sadly only for headphones, since it lacks support SPDIF/out.

I'd like to try this tutorial (since someone told me that works for digital output):

http://osx86.net/f57/guide-how-to-port-applehda-to-sl-t3981/

but it is for me a little out of my league. If im correct i need to have AppleHDA from older version of MAC like 10.5 and then change it so it works on newer MacOSX SL...

Is there any way around this? Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

working on hazard's snow leopard 10.6.2

at first, following installation steps but not woking,

then put the latest voodooHDA and perf back to the system, the sound came back with no volume control.

then restart with -X option

then remove the VoodooHDA.kext

then restart, the sound works fine, line -in, line-out , vol ctrl ,

interesting. :P

Thank you, mic.mac.hack

• 2 months later...

I have Matemago's AppleHDA working well on my Asus P5LD2-VM DH (ALC882) running 10.6.5. I have a modified DSDT.aml that includes the HDEF section so I have not needed HDAEnabler.kext.

The only anomoly that I have run into is with iChat. With this modified AppleHDA, I cannot select a working "output" in iChat to hear anything. It is very strange as all of the outputs that are listed in the Sound Pref Pane work as advertised.

Could this problem be related to the enabler (in my case HDEF section in DSDT.aml)?

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help. You guys are amazing.

• 5 months later...

line-out

headphone

line-in

front mic

What doesn't:

back mic

I have a P5W DH Deluxe which uses the ALC882 codec as well. I have installed SL 10.6.3 using iAtkos S3 V2. I followed these instructions of removing the voodoo kext and installing the kexts in the attachment but I still cannot get digital audio out (s/pdif). When I use voodoo2.7 (or whatever the latest build is) I can get audio out from the green line but when I attempt to use the spdif there is no audio output.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: When I use these two kexts and open the sound preferences, my outputs show:

Line Out

Line Out

Line Out

Headphones

Only the top line out produces sound from the green output. There is still no SPDIF audio.

Whereas if I use Voodoo 2.7.2 kext I see

Line-Out (Green Rear)

Headphones (Green Front)

SPDIF-out (Black Rear)

But when I select SPDIF it says 'the selected device has no output controls' and, of course, there is no sound.

I have a P5W DH Deluxe which uses the ALC882 codec as well. I have installed SL 10.6.3 using iAtkos S3 V2. I followed these instructions of removing the voodoo kext and installing the kexts in the attachment but I still cannot get digital audio out (s/pdif). When I use voodoo2.7 (or whatever the latest build is) I can get audio out from the green line but when I attempt to use the spdif there is no audio output.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: When I use these two kexts and open the sound preferences, my outputs show:

Line Out

Line Out

Line Out

Headphones

Only the top line out produces sound from the green output. There is still no SPDIF audio.

Whereas if I use Voodoo 2.7.2 kext I see

Line-Out (Green Rear)

Headphones (Green Front)

SPDIF-out (Black Rear)

But when I select SPDIF it says 'the selected device has no output controls' and, of course, there is no sound.

Are you sure the rear black jack is supposed to be SPDIF digital out with your setup?

Try using the SPDIF optical TOSLINK or COAXIAL connections on the motherboard (below the purple PS/2 input)

I thought i might post my updated audio setup incase someone can make use of it or inform me of a better method and functionality.

I have a P5W Deluxe with ALC882 Audio running SL 10.6.7

The ALC882.kext and patched AppleHDA.kext method may work on other boards using the ALC882.

The patching method should also work on other ALC8** but you will have to research that yourself.

This method results in:

3.0 SPDIF output when using Itunes, Quicktime and such. (rear channels mixed with front)

5.1 SPDIF Dolby Digital & DTS output when using Video Lan Player with *Digital Output (Encoded Output)* selected from the audio menu.

2.0 and up to 5.1 analog output with the right configuration in Audio Midi Setup.app

Line In: working (blue)

Mic In: Not working (pink??) maybe its another internal connection for a front panel that i dont have..

In Audio preferences i see:

Internal Speaker: (lime jack) i use headphones here.

Line Out: (orange jack)

Line Out: (black jack)

Digital Out:

Internal microphone: (not working)

Line In: (blue jack) working, i use guitar here.

The rear lime, orange and black ouputs can be configured with Audio Midi Setup app for analog 2.0 to 5.1

Ok so how did i get this setup…

Install Snow leopard using 314TeR V3 P5W guide located here: http://forum.osx86.org.pl/topics4/mac-os-x...tosh-vt1132.htm

Update to 10.6.4

Backup the original AppleHDA.kext

# sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext ~/Desktop/

Patch the 10.6.4 AppleHDA kext with the following method:

Download HexEdit.app.

Move the kext to desktop:

# sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext ~/Desktop/

Change the permision of the kext so it is editable by you

# sudo chown -R <your-user> ~/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext

With HexEdit, open ~/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext/Content/MacOSX/AppleHDA

Find and replace "8508ec10" with "8208ec10" (should be four changes), and save it.

Return the kext to the appropriate place /System/Library/Extensions/.

# sudo mv ~/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

Repair permission using Kext Utility or Disk Utility.

Done.

The patched AppleHDA requires the ALC882.kext from 314TeR V3 pkg/guide and maybe also the DSDT.

Well thats it i think. Please let me know if you need more info/files or have found a better solution for the ALC882 and SPDIF 5.1

Also 314TeR is working on V4 of his guide for P5W owners, might be worth a look.

Good luck

Are you sure the rear black jack is supposed to be SPDIF digital out with your setup?

Try using the SPDIF optical TOSLINK or COAXIAL connections on the motherboard (below the purple PS/2 input)

Yes, it's the coax output that I am trying to use, the same you describe. It is a bit confusing since it says "black output" but that's what it says. But I am attempting to use the coax output.

Ok so how did i get this setup…

Install Snow leopard using 314TeR V3 P5W guide located here: http://forum.osx86.org.pl/topics4/mac-os-x...tosh-vt1132.htm

Thanks for this info, I have a couple of questions. First, the most recent update is 10.6.8. Have you updated to that?

Next, I already have a pretty solid installation of SL and I'm not going to undo what I have. But maybe your instructions will work using the iAtkos installation I currently have. I just don't know if I should update to 10.6.8 or edit the 10.6.3 file.

Thanks again for your input.

I think i will skip 10.6.8 and go directly to 10.7, i may even get a new PC soon.

I would suggest you make room on your disk for another install, or even better use another internal/external drive for testing. That way you can test new installs without harming your current.

My OSX Drive

Partition 1: System

Partition 2: My Data

Partition 3: Apps (for apps that are 1GB or more)

Partition 4: Basic SL install used for recovery.

With the above setup my system partition can be compressed into a DMG of around 20GB. I can fairly quickly backup and restore that if needed.

I test my installs on an External drive now because i kept breaking and then fixing the bootloader :/

If you cant setup some kind of test partition or disk i would recommend you try a patched ApplHDA from 10.6.2 as thats what i was using with 10.6.3, however i cant remember if it needs to be used with any other audio related kexts or DSDT edits.

Patched 10.6.2 ApplHDA for P5W ALC882: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U6S77IZ1

I should also mention that i have never used the SPDIF Coaxial, i use the optical toslink.

If you find the courage to upgrade, you can always try the 10.6.4 update instead of 10.6.8

Have fun

I think i will skip 10.6.8 and go directly to 10.7, i may even get a new PC soon.

I would suggest you make room on your disk for another install, or even better use another internal/external drive for testing. That way you can test new installs without harming your current.

I already have that. On my alternate drive I have 10.6.8 running. Audio is the same, it works in stereo mode, but not digital out.

I'll check that link out.

I should also mention that i have never used the SPDIF Coaxial, i use the optical toslink.

But I think if one works, so should the other? Stilll, I don't think it matters since the system preferences doesn't recognize SPDIF output. It says "there are no controls for this output."

If you find the courage to upgrade, you can always try the 10.6.4 update instead of 10.6.8

Have fun

Oh yes, this is lots of fun. :censored2:

Thanks for the advice!

So I used this kext and an HDAenabler.kext and what I get now is

IntSpeakers

Headphones

LineOut

DigitalOut

And the digital out works! :(

However...only in 2.0 stereo. This is on my 10.6.3 install. I'm going to try it on the .6.8 install and see what's what.

Verified...installed the same two kexts on the 10.6.8 system and i get the same results. Digital out, but stereo only.

But still...Big THANKS to LuSTRaRe for your time and input. I feel like progress has been made.

This is the Sys Pref I see. Notice that the 'type' column is different from yours.

post-166742-1310066356_thumb.png

I can only get 5.1 using vlc player, all other apps mix down to 3.0 (LRC)

You might as well take my current kexts to play with:

Patched 10.6.4 applehda and alc882 kexts working on 10.6.7

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J152PB9B

ALC882.kext goes in /Extra

Heres a 5.1 avi test file if you need it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4BYJVRLU

If i find the time i will run a test on 10.6.8 and post the results.

Edit:

SPDIF (optical/coaxial) 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS worked with quicktime after following steps 1-4 here:

http://www.cod3r.com/2008/02/the-correct-w...with-quicktime/

I also tried 314TeR V4 UniBootX on a fresh 10.6 updated to 10.6.7.

The audio was working ok after the AplleHDA was patched. The passthrough ac3 and dts hacks also worked.

I did try to update to 10.6.8 but the install failed on every attempt.

Here are the kexts i used on 10.6.7 which should work on your 10.6.8 install, try the passthrough hacks aswell.

Download contains four files: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3CCIGD5Q

ALC882v32b.kext (configured for the rear mic)

HDAEnabled.kext

AppleHDA 10.6.7 (original)

AppleHDA 10.6.7 (patched)

If you have the time you should try out 314TeR V4 UniBootX and maybe give him some feedback.

http://forum.osx86.org.pl/topics30/uniboot...view-vt4415.htm

Good luck

I can only get 5.1 using vlc player, all other apps mix down to 3.0 (LRC)

I've upgraded to .6.8 and the audio is working even better than before. VLC will playback 5.1 (and it sounds great) BUT I am getting an upmix from other audio sources (such as QuickTime) so I hear sound from ALL my speakers (LRC LR RR and SW).

I really can't explain what changed. I am using that patched 6.2 kext you linked and the HDAenabaler.kext from the original post. That's it. I have no idea why, but it working as well as I could expect and I thank you for your time. My receiver is set to Dolby Digital and I do NOT have Vista Audio enabled in the bios.

As for the other suggestions, I think I'll just leave well enough alone for now. I'm sure when Lion is out there will be a whole new set of issues. No sense in needless hair loss at the moment.

Thanks again!