Atheros AR5006 wirless on PXS3

20 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Right, the situation is like this, I have:

Fujitsu Siemens s7110 Notebook

Intel Core Solo (T1300)

Intel 945GM Chipset with:

Intergrated 945 Graphics (DEV:27A2 VEND:8086)

PCI Express Bus

Atheros AR5006EG Wireless on PXE3 (DEV:001C VEND:168C)

Yukon 88E8055 Ethernet (DEV:4363 VEND:11AB)

Toshiba Bluetooth (Apparently?)

Realtek HD Audio (DEV:0262 VEND:10EC)

Please bear in mind i am a 1st time Mac user, but I have extensive Linux and Windows experiance so I understand what things do.. just not how to implement it on OS X.

My first question is, are the HCL's for each version on the wiki valid for itself and higher i.e. is what is compatable in 10.4.4 still compatable in 10.4.5, etc?

I have succesfully installed 10.4.6 from the Goatsecx DVD Image (with and without patches as I made a n00b error the fist time installed it by not selecting any extra patches).

Patches Installed (From Memory):

Intel 900GMA Patch

Wireless Patch

So far I have got Ethernet working using the AppleYukon.kext, Video started working when I installed with the 900GMA? patch the second time using IOFrameBuffer. The bluetooth worked straight out of the box.

Booting is done with Grub (Windows XP sp2, openSuSE 10.1 and Mac OS X)

My two problems are:

Audio

The audio doesnt seem to conform to any of the guides I have seen on the forums, but I tried them anyways (it seems to be a ALC262 chip on it). I really think that it may never work, but if anyone has any ideas then Im game for giving it a try.

Wireless

Now this is the clincher.

Standard checks of booting windows first then soft rebooting into Mac OS, freshening the cache (with rm kextcache and/or with -f on boot), reseting ownership to root:wheel and i even set perms to 755 as I read it was supposed to be done somwhere are done when testing.

Im using the IO8211.kext and have modified AirPortAtheros5424.kext. The AirPortAtheros5424.kext already contains a reference to my DEV and VEND ID's which is pci168c,1c (I personally think this should be pci168c,001c to conform to the rest and I have tried it with and with out).

The current version I am running is 1.0.2 of AirPortAtheros5424.kext and here is part of the file that was modified

<dict>
			<key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>
			<dict>
					<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
					<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortAtheros5424</string>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>AirPort_Athr5424</string>
					<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
					<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>
					<key>IONameMatch</key>
					<array>
							<string>pci106b,0086</string>
							<string>pci168c,1c</string>
					</array>
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
			</dict>
	</dict>

I havent modified /System/Libary/systemconfig/preferences/networking (I think) to add any reference to en1. And I dont know if I should or not??

When booting I recieve this error

PXS3: family specific matching fails
unable to attach hardware; HAL status 3
start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-102.4/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:412] loaded unsuccessfully

but when I load AppleAtheros5424.kext manually it loads perfectly fine with (VEND as 1c and 001c) no errors.

smudge:~ root# kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext 
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext loaded successfully
smudge:~ root#

do a kextstat you see IO8211 and AppleAtheros5424 are sitting there happily...

smudge:~ root# kextstat | grep Air 
  89	0 0x1f8a7000 0x6d000	0x6c000	com.apple.driver.AirPortAtheros5424 (102.4) <88 72 16 11 6 5 4 3 2>
smudge:~ root# kextstat | grep IO8
  88	1 0x1e932000 0x19000	0x18000	com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family (112.1) <72 16 11 6 5 4 3 2>

but there is no en1 interface, the bash airport command (hidden away down a long path, but symlinked) cannot find a card, the airport setup utility cant find anything either.

I have tried all these combinations with the kext's also found in Extensions_Disabled_10.4.6 ( I guess from the DVD) using files from another version is a possibility if it may fix the problem.

To be honest any useful comments are welcome on any aspect of my system but the wireless is the main key! I have been meaning to speak to Dax on the IRC channel but I thought Id post here first.

Thanks in Advance,

Lucan

Get the 10.4.5 intel update from apple it's 99 mb i think yea it is extract the pkg file. download pacifist from http://www.charlessoft.com/ open it using pacifist and search for ionetworksupport.kext right click and click install to default location and search for io80211.kext (somthing close to that) do the same install to default location now go to finder and to apps to utilites and then to disk utility and select your mac partition and click repair disk premissions after that completes reboot! This worked with my atheros ar5005g.

Taylor,

Thanks for the info. I did try this (I assumed you ment IONetworkingFamily as I could find no trace of IONetworkSupport) but it didnt solve any of the issues. The changes I made doing this and what is detailed below I have managed to get the driver to load on startup

It did however point me in the right direction, 90% of the articles for wireless cards are on PCI buses and not PCI Express buses and the two are not as interchangeable as I thought when I started looking. Now that Im getting on a bit better with the insides of the OS Im picking up a lot.

In (this is from memory at the moment) /Libary/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkPrefernces the en1 interface was pointing to a PCI interface and not a PXS interface. so using ioreg I recreated the string to the hardware but still no joy.

In ioreg it usually shows the attached hardware (or driver?) that is attached to the interface but even when the driver is loaded it is still not visible in ioreg.

This brings me to the conclusion that the actual issue is due to this error on my startup.

PXS3: family specific matching fails
unable to attach hardware; HAL status 3

So does anyone know how I can debug this error?

Thanks again in advance!

Lucan

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I know its a long time, but I was wondering if anyone had any more experiance that can point me in the right direction...

Ive had a search though the forums but nothing has sprang out at me as the solution.....

Sevo.. thanks for tracking me down onto myspace... but no I havent resolved the problem yet! :o

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem but its on The JAS Intel DVD SSE2 SSE3 Beta V2. Infact for some reason my USB stopped working.

This is so confusing so I dont even know where to start. At first things were not working . When I tried the steps that were given here I got a new interface detected but its not a network interface instead its a firewire interface at one point I had two fire wire interfaces.

In Networkinterface.plist. There is no entry for any network interface the only entry that is in there is FW0.

and it doesn't link to any of the AirPort ( Atheros Kext files)

so I think I am stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

okay....

a bit of an update!

I havent had chance to do anything with this idea yet but the following link makes some sense.. and may solve my problem under linux as well as macos x.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/Troublesh...ectedHALstatus3

if anyone has any luck or could tell me if this is possible under macos x I might try it again ^_^

Is it possible to use the madwifi drivers in macos x also?

Cheers,

Lucan

I have the Atheros 5006eg in my Toshiba A135 laptop. I've been searching for a few weeks and have not found a solution. In another post i proposed porting the madwifi drivers, however since i lack the knowledge to do so i'd have to rely on someone more tech-savy. Since they work under darwin they should be able to work in MacOS with additional effort.

Anyone up for the task?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the Atheros 5006eg in my Toshiba A135 laptop. I've been searching for a few weeks and have not found a solution. In another post i proposed porting the madwifi drivers, however since i lack the knowledge to do so i'd have to rely on someone more tech-savy. Since they work under darwin they should be able to work in MacOS with additional effort.

Anyone up for the task?

Hi I have the same laptopas yours and I am trying to install Mac OS X. I also wanna keep the original Vista install that came with it. Dis you manage to do it???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Lucan

I have almost the same configuration as yours on my FujitsuSiemens Eseries. Same problems with wireless, but fixed the sound with attached file. Hope it works for you. No sount on headphones though, just built-in spekers. I haven't dig deeper into that, cos I'm stuck in this wireless thing. I hope some1 finds a solution cos I'm a huge mac fan only not ready yet to buy one.

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

• 2 months later...