SnowKitty running on VMware Workstation

154 posts in this topic

Someone like me but legally distinct for me has installed MAC OS X 10.6 Snow Leo on VMware workstation 7; Windows 7 is the host. It was really simple if you know how to follow directions but must have some intuition, too. I fixed internet problem and will be completing the install soon; currently updating OS.

Snowing fine here. ;)

Thank for sharing your precious knowledge.

Just an issue

The Snow Preview.app doesn't work. I get only grey screen with pics. Thumbs and pdf are fine

Previous leopard versions didn't have this problem

Couple of settings you might like to change in your .vmx file to solve your problem

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

Everything else looks fine, also you may want to try Zenith432's enhanced graphics drivers at the following site:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Good luck

Couple of settings you might like to change in your .vmx file to solve your problem

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

Everything else looks fine, also you may want to try Zenith432's enhanced graphics drivers at the following site:

Good luck

Just to clarify, what benefit would there be to running the enhanced graphics drivers? One thing I've noticed running 10.6 in VMW 7 is a slight lack of sync between video/audio when playing something like a youtube video.. I am running an i7 860, I have 4 gigs of ram assigned to the VM as well as 1 cpu/2 cores. I tried upping to 4 but that made no noticable difference.

Also, after updating to 10.6.2 I had the issue where the mouse was visible/moved around but I couldn't click on anything. Is this also a matter of installing the ps2 drivers mentioned earlier in the thread? Luckily I took a snapshot and could roll back after trying 10.6.2... Also, if it matters I am using the vanilla kernel from a retail DVD.

Just to clarify, what benefit would there be to running the enhanced graphics drivers? One thing I've noticed running 10.6 in VMW 7 is a slight lack of sync between video/audio when playing something like a youtube video.. I am running an i7 860, I have 4 gigs of ram assigned to the VM as well as 1 cpu/2 cores. I tried upping to 4 but that made no noticable difference.

Also, after updating to 10.6.2 I had the issue where the mouse was visible/moved around but I couldn't click on anything. Is this also a matter of installing the ps2 drivers mentioned earlier in the thread? Luckily I took a snapshot and could roll back after trying 10.6.2... Also, if it matters I am using the vanilla kernel from a retail DVD.

This may not help but if you run Zenith432's audio and graphics drivers, same site for both re my last post. It has been documented in this and other topics on this site that improved performance for grapahics and audio is acheived, you can also change the audio settings, this has mainly assisted choppy audio but worth a try.

In terms of the mouse problems, are you using the darwin.iso from the wks7 zip, if so you can amend your .vmx file as follows:

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" change to "FALSE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" change to "FALSE"

If you have not used the snowy zip, then uninstall the darwin files, and replace the darwin.iso from the wks7 zip then re-install the darwin files back in to your VM Workstation 7 or Player 3.

The wks7 darwin.iso includes the PS/2 drivers, so you can set the keyboard and mouse to either PS/2 or USB with the .vmx entry above.

Good Luck!

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

Good luck

I believe this is related to the QE/CI problem in SL with some cards. I face this issue even when I boot my laptop natively in SL 10.6.2 because there is no SL kext to support my X4500 card. Preview, iWorks, ... and similar applications use OpenGL graphics and it's not supported yet in VMs. If you really need it better to get a true Mac or to use a Hackintosh in 10.5.6 or later with the proper kext for your card.

I believe this is related to the QE/CI problem in SL with some cards. I face this issue even when I boot my laptop natively in SL 10.6.2 because there is no SL kext to support my X4500 card. Preview, iWorks, ... and similar applications use OpenGL graphics and it's not supported yet in VMs. If you really need it better to get a true Mac or to use a Hackintosh in 10.5.6 or later with the proper kext for your card.

Indeed, QE will not work in VM Workstation 7, a current limitation of the VM code, certainly with a Vanilla kernel, but I have not seen any of the modified kernels resolving the QE in an VM issue either, but please feel free to shoot me down in flames!

Hey guys,

Firsty, thanks for the amazing work, tutorials, and time you've spent on this. I managed to get SL working the first time (still can't believe it...) using this guide on Workstation 7, but after I updated it I'm getting a message that says:

"A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in thi operating system or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to restart or Cancel to power off the virtual machine."

Can anyone point me in the right direction in getting this resolved? I have a working VM of Leopard I can use to change/edit files on this partition and I have a snapshot before I updated.

Thanks a lot!

I noticed I have the Core 2 Duo T5750 which doesn't support VT-x, but it still installs and it works (abeit a bit slow).

I'm just having update issues, can anyone help me out? I am able to boot past the initial boot partition screen and I get this message a little after the Apple logo shows when SL tries to boot.

Thanks,

Nick

I noticed I have the Core 2 Duo T5750 which doesn't support VT-x, but it still installs and it works (abeit a bit slow).

I'm just having update issues, can anyone help me out? I am able to boot past the initial boot partition screen and I get this message a little after the Apple logo shows when SL tries to boot.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick, if you are running SL under VM W7, and you do not have VT-x enabled, are you running a non vanilla kernel, i.e. Chameleon. If so using vanilla updates may cause problems without a kernel patch.

Nick, if you are running SL under VM W7, and you do not have VT-x enabled, are you running a non vanilla kernel, i.e. Chameleon. If so using vanilla updates may cause problems without a kernel patch.

I see... Thanks Knife...

I used Zenith's guide (page 1, post 10) and I remember needing to replace the kernel. Is there a way I can patch the kernel?

That, or can I get the vanilla kernel to work even though I don't have VT-x?

Also it looks like they made no kernel changes until 10.6.3, can I update to 6.2 or is it an all or nothing update?

Finally, I'm just looking to use this for iPod Touch coding/tinkering -- is it worth the effort to get this updating thing to work out or should i just ignore it and use the stock install for my purposes?

Thanks again!

Alright, so I had everything working perfectly, and now, I cant click on anything while I'm in SL on Workstation 7. I tried playing with keyboard.vusb.enable and mouse.vusb.enable to make it work (switching between true and false in various combinations) but I'm not getting anywhere. I checked my VMX file further, and everything looks good to me, but I must be missing something.

Setting keyboard.vusb.enable and mouse.vusb.enable to false/false, true/true, true/false, and false/true doesnt change anything, in any of those configurations.

If someone could take a look and tell me what I'm missing, or point me in the right direction, that would be great.

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
numvcpus = "2"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "3096"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental)-cl1.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "FALSE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
serial0.present = "TRUE"
serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
smc.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
tools.syncTime = "TRUE"
displayName = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6"
guestOS = "darwin10"
nvram = "Mac OS X Server 10.6.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"
printers.enabled = "TRUE"
keyboardAndMouseProfile = "macProfile"
tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Server 10.6.vmxf"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"
ide1:0.fileName = "C:\Users\AbsentMinded\Documents\Downloads\Snowy_Vmware_files\Snowy_VM\darwin_snow.iso"
checkpoint.vmState = "Mac OS X Server 10.6.vmss"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d 9e 43 85 e2 cd 03-e4 ec 19 f9 b2 dd ea 88"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 9e 43 85 e2 cd 03-e4 ec 19 f9 b2 dd ea 88"
cleanShutdown = "FALSE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "65536000"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:dd:ea:88"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-31472086"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
svga.autodetect = "FALSE"
svga.numDisplays = "2"
svga.maxWidth = "5120"
svga.maxHeight = "3200"
svga.vramSize = "65536000"
usb.autoConnect.device0 = ""
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"

Wait... Nick how did you install it without vt-x as soon as i try to load darwin it tells me it cant run because i dont have virtualizattion

For the same reason you can run SnowKitty on Workstation 6.5, by using a non vanilla kernel, which is the basis of this topic, rather than Donk's topic which is based on a vanilla kernel and does need VT-x. So have a look back in this topic, you should fine help on installing on non VT hardware, but be aware performance will be impacted.

Good luck!

Nevermind, I fixed it.

How did you resolve the issue, so we can help others in the future, if you do not mind. Are you running a vanilla kernel, and what is your host OS, I did notice you had smc.present = "TRUE", which for a vanilla kernel needs to be "FALSE".

Thanks in advance.

Wait... Nick how did you install it without vt-x as soon as i try to load darwin it tells me it cant run because i dont have virtualizattion

From Nick's post

"I used Zenith's guide (page 1, post 10) and I remember needing to replace the kernel. Is there a way I can patch the kernel?"

Hope this helps.

I see... Thanks Knife...

I used Zenith's guide (page 1, post 10) and I remember needing to replace the kernel. Is there a way I can patch the kernel?

That, or can I get the vanilla kernel to work even though I don't have VT-x?

Also it looks like they made no kernel changes until 10.6.3, can I update to 6.2 or is it an all or nothing update?

Finally, I'm just looking to use this for iPod Touch coding/tinkering -- is it worth the effort to get this updating thing to work out or should i just ignore it and use the stock install for my purposes?

Thanks again!

Nick, as far as I am aware the vanilla kernel 100% requires VT-x. In terms of patching have a dig round other topics on InsanelyMac, I have seen reference to patches for 10.6.2 updates, mainly around the atom processor but may be relevant.

And finally, I think you should be able to do the "tinkering" you want on the base install, I have not seen anything in the update notes to indicate differently, but others may know better.

Cheers!

I get that message too for Donk's method. The way I did it was I found an already working VM image of Leopard an the net and then used the guide at the beginning of the thread.

Nick, as far as I am aware the vanilla kernel 100% requires VT-x. In terms of patching have a dig round other topics on InsanelyMac, I have seen reference to pathces for 10.6.2 updates, mainly around the atom processor but may be relevant.

And finally, I think you should be able to do the "tinkering" you want on the base install, I have not seen anyting in the update notes to indicate differently, but others may know better.

Cheers!

Perfect, I'll just keep it as is, thanks!

Can I ask does it run fast on virtual machine as I have ran leopard once, guess it was premade image and it was EXTREMELY slow.

Bit of a "how long is a piece of string question", if your host PC has VT-x and reasonable amount of RAM then yes OS X will run well in a VM, however a lot of poeple run a non vanilla kernel because they do not have a processor that supports VT-x, in which case often OS X will run slowly. The exception is on an AMD processor which has the AMD equivalent of VT-x , but needs a non vanilla kernel, as the vanilla OS X kernel only supports intel processors.

• 4 weeks later...
I am using the "freebsd-64" route with VMWare player 2.5.3 build-185404.

It boots up fine but I got stuck at the Welcome screen without working mouse. I used the following config in my vmx file.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Do I actually need ps/2 keyboard and mouse on my host? Currently the mouse/keyboard hardware are USB on the host.

The "darwin10-64" route doesn't work because the VMWare Player does not support it yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Max

I had the same issue with keyboard only and no mouse. I deleted the ApplePS2controller and ACPIPS2Nub kexts, then installed the VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg onto the “Snow” HD. I did not have to edit my original Leopard10.5.5 VMX configuration. I have a Core2Duo T5200 CPU without VT-x. It is sluggish but working following Zenith432’s guide. Successful Snow Leopard 10.6 on a non-VT-x, running Vmware7.0 on Windows7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does this stuff help me in any way to get Snow Leopard up and running on ESXi 4.0 ?

Sorry for the delayed response, having a look around the topics today, picking up anything that I missed.

Yes, it should, I am in the middle of trying to get SL running under ESXi 4 as we speak, so will post an update when I have some news, had a problem with my NIC not being supported, but that is sorted now, so full steam ahead.

Cheers, MSoK!

Can someone please reupload vmsl.tar.gz? I am unable to upgrade to Snow Leopard on VMWare workstation with out it!

Oh good grief, why this text box not work properly with Firefox? It work properly with Internet Explorer for crying out loud.

Wham, the vmsl.tar.gz I have uploaded to the following RapidShare url:

http://rapidshare.com/files/359804579/vmsl.tar.gz

Hope this helps, MSoK!

Sorry for the delayed response, having a look around the topics today, picking up anything that I missed.

Yes, it should, I am in the middle of trying to get SL running under ESXi 4 as we speak, so will post an update when I have some news, had a problem with my NIC not being supported, but that is sorted now, so full steam ahead.

Cheers, MSoK!

Wham, the vmsl.tar.gz I have uploaded to the following RapidShare url:

http://rapidshare.com/files/359804579/vmsl.tar.gz

Hope this helps, MSoK!

Thany you a thousand times! As promised, my mirrors of the files for any and all to use are here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0846c9/n/vmsl.tar.gz

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b16e28c/n/vmsl.tar.gz

If only I understood how to install netkas's pcefi 10.5 bootloader. Perhaps I can put my luck and ask for some help. I have attached two screenshots: diskinfo.png (my disk info) and error messages.png (basically fdisk error messages). It would seem that I am unable to properly find this right drive number somehow.

post-524647-1268112393_thumb.png

post-524647-1268112439_thumb.png