SnowKitty running on VMware Workstation

154 posts in this topic

I'd appreciate if you can tell me if there is anything else in there that may be a problem.
Your vmx file is fine and your frequency values are just right. If the Bus Speed of 100 MHz reported by System Profiler bothers you, you can set any value you want in /Extra/smbios.plist

<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>333</string>

Note that unlike the CPU frequency, the Bus Speed really is cosmetic. The CPU frequency is important because it's used by kernel timers.

Sorry I forgot to mention it in my guide, but the vmx settings should be like this

guestOS = "freebsd-64" # darwin variants require darwin.iso to boot
#mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"	   - remove USB mouse & keyboard, because they don't work well under freebsd-64
#keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"	- use ps/2 mouse & keyboard - drivers are in vmsl.

Thank you. No more darwin.iso - very nice. Now the only thing left I need to fix is the guest autofit.

edit 1: installed vmware tools from fusion 2.05. two things: I am getting "no permission" to shared folders and guest autofit does not work either. Went back to darwin-snowy by Donk and get at least shared folders back.

If you install Tools from Fusion 2.x, you need to make some patches. First, for the permissions, you need to modify services.sh. It's in Donk's guide and I also mentioned it in this thread (post #2). Second, to get fit-guest with Tools 2.x, you need to install a modified vmware-tools-guestd. Download the file Display/guestd_patches.tar.gz from the vmsvga2 file section, and follow the instructions in the readme file.

I don't have a patch to make darwin-snowy work with VMsvga2. I tried to patch it, but it doesn't work. I need more time to look into this. If you want fit-guest, use Tools 2.x and patch them.

Naomi: don't try this without VT unless you're a guru and you know how to recover after getting yourself into a hole. Also, it's only for Intel Core 2,i7 or i5.

Your vmx file is fine and your frequency values are just right. If the Bus Speed of 100 MHz reported by System Profiler bothers you, you can set any value you want in /Extra/smbios.plist

<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>333</string>

Note that unlike the CPU frequency, the Bus Speed really is cosmetic. The CPU frequency is important because it's used by kernel timers.

Sorry I forgot to mention it in my guide, but the vmx settings should be like this

guestOS = "freebsd-64" # darwin variants require darwin.iso to boot
#mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"	   - remove USB mouse & keyboard, because they don't work well under freebsd-64
#keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"	- use ps/2 mouse & keyboard - drivers are in vmsl.

If you install Tools from Fusion 2.x, you need to make some patches. First, for the permissions, you need to modify services.sh. It's in Donk's guide and I also mentioned it in this thread (post #2). Second, to get fit-guest with Tools 2.x, you need to install a modified vmware-tools-guestd. Download the file Display/guestd_patches.tar.gz from the vmsvga2 file section, and follow the instructions in the readme file.

I don't have a patch to make darwin-snowy work with VMsvga2. I tried to patch it, but it doesn't work. I need more time to look into this. If you want fit-guest, use Tools 2.x and patch them.

excellent, everything is working now. thank you so much for helping me Zenith432! Every once in a while it stops booting right at "Starting Darwin X86" and stalls, CPU process shoots up but nothing happens. I also tried to change setting in the BIOS (you mentioned it sometimes helps), it didn't on mine. But the good thing is if I reboot a few times then it catches up again and works fine for a while. It's random, not reproducible. It behaves like it only catches on when the CPU frequency of the host has the correct value (just a wild guess here, I assume it has to do with syncing?. Any idea?

Also, the spinning wheel is always erratic in the first 3-5 seconds and then spins normal when it boots up.

See attached image...

Clarification: The host is Workstation 6.5.3 with guestOS "freebsd-64" and same vmx settings I use for Leopard (no vusb, no ide).

Dear Zenith432 and Donk

Thank you so much for your spectacular contributions.

Question: I got SnowLeo Server installed, runs well in Fusion. Tried to use you guides to run it under Workstation, but got Kp's. Of note, using the same guide, I ran Snow Leo without problem. Is there any fixes for Server yet?

Thanks

Every once in a while it stops booting right at "Starting Darwin X86" and stalls, CPU process shoots up but nothing happens.
That's a different issue. It's a bug in recent versions of Chameleon (ever since 2.0) that causes it to lock up if you start the boot too fast. It wasn't present in Chameleon 1.0.12. It's the reason I stayed away from 2.0 until I had no choice. What I do is I wait for the time bar to go past the half-point, and then start the boot. It's really annoying because the time bar moves at a non-uniform pace as well. The problem has nothing to do with the kernel - it occurs on Leopard kernels too - definitely a problem with the bootloader.

Also don't worry about the speedy spinning wheel.

I think it might be possible to boot this kernel with Chameleon 1.0.12 even though it's darwin10, because it's a 32-bit kernel. I'll try it some time.

Question: I got SnowLeo Server installed, runs well in Fusion. Tried to use you guides to run it under Workstation, but got Kp's. Of note, using the same guide, I ran Snow Leo without problem. Is there any fixes for Server yet?
You know, I'm not running a whole lab here. Just Windows XP, C2D, Workstation 6.5.3. Give us a break.

Now insert the SnowLeopard retail DVD, and start the installer like the guide I linked to above shows (from "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg"). When the installer asks for a destination volume, select the Snow volume. Let the installer run and complete. Don't reboot after installation (it shouldn't ask for reboot, because it's an offline install).

I had some problem when I install SL. At the end of it in "Summary": Installation failed! Some components was not installed. Something wrong?

My configuration:

Intel CPU i7 920 with VT enabled in the BIOS

VMware Workstation 6.5.

Virtual machine with Leopard 10.5.5. installed (run on Win7 64-bit with OS type "FreeBSD").

That's a different issue. It's a bug in recent versions of Chameleon (ever since 2.0) that causes it to lock up if you start the boot too fast. It wasn't present in Chameleon 1.0.12. It's the reason I stayed away from 2.0 until I had no choice. What I do is I wait for the time bar to go past the half-point, and then start the boot. It's really annoying because the time bar moves at a non-uniform pace as well. The problem has nothing to do with the kernel - it occurs on Leopard kernels too - definitely a problem with the bootloader.

Also don't worry about the speedy spinning wheel.

I think it might be possible to boot this kernel with Chameleon 1.0.12 even though it's darwin10, because it's a 32-bit kernel. I'll try it some time.

cool, thanks for the explanation. I noticed that sometimes I can't get it to boot for 10-15min until I give up and try much later. good to have suspend, otherwise I'd go nuts.

also, I just noticed that if I boot into safe mode I have no problem. If I then reboot from within the OS it starts up fine (so far).

Running Mac OS X Server 10.6 finally!

I'm using the latest Workstation 7.0 Release Candidate (no more e.x.p build).

I installed from Retail Snow Leopard server disc.

I booted using the snowy darwin.iso posted in this thread, kept pressing option(Alt) until I reached the boot select menu. then changed to the SL server .iso and installed from disc. Used Disk Utility to partition it with GUID Partition table.

when done power down vm, change back to snowy darwin.iso which has to be used each time when you want to boot into SL Server.

SnowLeopard-2009-10-10-11-42-00.png

Using the following additions to .vmx:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
guestOS = "darwin10-64"

smc.present = "FALSE"

Not sure if it's relevant but I created a VM with 1 CPU and 2 CPU cores (you can do this in Workstation 7) and 1024GB RAM.

Also the VMWare tools from the snowy darwin.iso works well. And the mouse also works without glitches (with the e.x.p build of Workstation and Leopard I had problems with the mouse in that I could not maintain a button press for very long. The mouse glitched out and lost the button press, so drag and drop operations would be difficult).

About performance:

On my Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 with 4GB ram and GeForce 8800GTS 320MB I can do basic tasks in OS X Server well. The graphics performance is poor due to it only being 2D and no accelerated graphics is available.

Are the guestd_patches.tar.gz integrated into the current vmsl.tar.gz?

Is it possible to boot without darwin.iso? I installed pcefi.10.3, including boot1h to the EFI partition but I get "Operating System not found". Installed on a SCSI disk, GUID style, HFS+, guestOS = "darwin10-64".

According to "TheGreatDeceiver" in Post #12 he got sound from Zenith's kexts, I think he refers to vmsl but there is no audio driver in that package and I don't have audio.

Also I would note that the .i386 or .x86_64 extension should be removed after copying the replacement mach_kernel, otherwise you need to use F8 and specify the file name.

Are the guestd_patches.tar.gz integrated into the current vmsl.tar.gz?
No. guest_patches and the audio driver are here.

Is it possible to boot without darwin.iso? I installed pcefi.10.3, including boot1h to the EFI partition but I get "Operating System not found". Installed on a SCSI disk, GUID style, HFS+, guestOS = "darwin10-64".
The are two options
  • To boot with darwin.iso use guestOS="darwin10-64"
  • To boot with Chameleon/pcefi use guestOS="freebsd-64"

According to "TheGreatDeceiver" in Post #12 he got sound from Zenith's kexts, I think he refers to vmsl but there is no audio driver in that package and I don't have audio.
Actually, he didn't say that. The audio driver is in the link above.

Also I would note that the .i386 or .x86_64 extension should be removed after copying the replacement mach_kernel, otherwise you need to use F8 and specify the file name.
Sorry, that's a mistake. I forgot to rename mach_kernel.i386 to mach_kernel when packing vmsl. I've uploaded a new package to correct this. Could you please update the copy on mediafire? Thanks.

Sorry, that's a mistake. I forgot to rename mach_kernel.i386 to mach_kernel when packing vmsl. I've uploaded a new package to correct this. Could you please update the copy on mediafire? Thanks.

actually, I took it for granted users rename it or use a tool to install the kernel, e.g. OSX86Tools, it does everything for you, backs up old one renames new one and fixes permissions..... ;)

Zenith, new bootloader pc_efi10.4 by netkas is out. haven't tried yet, hopefully it fixes the boot problems.

So the advantage to using the vsml package over the vmware tools in darwin-snowy is one can boot with PC EFI and not need to use darwin.iso to boot every time? Or is there more to it?

Thanks for clarifying the driver info, I got audio working after installing EnsoniqAudioPCI_1.0.2.mpkg and choosing only the first check box.

[edit] I installed the files in vmsl but now the mouse and keyboard don't work right...

FYI these are the commands I used in Terminal

sudo fdisk -f Desktop/pcefi.10.3/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

sudo dd if=Desktop/pcefi.10.3/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

sudo cp Desktop/pcefi.10.3/boot /

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.vanilla

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleProfileFamily.kext/ /

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext/ /

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext/ /

sudo chown -R 0:0 Desktop/vmsl/

sudo cp -pR Desktop/vmsl/* /

sudo mv /mach_kernel.i386 /mach_kernel

Using VMware Workstation 7.0.0 build-197124

So the advantage to using the vsml package over the vmware tools in darwin-snowy is one can boot with PC EFI and not need to use darwin.iso to boot every time? Or is there more to it?
The "advantage" to using vmsl is and always has been that it works on VMware Workstation 6.5.x. If you look at the dates you'll see that I started this thread before VMware published their [first] public RC for Workstation 7. The setup that uses snowy-darwin.iso for OS 10.6 with vanilla kernel only works on Workstation 7, which is still pre-release.

I installed the files in vmsl but now the mouse and keyboard don't work right...

If you boot with guestOS="freebsd-64" and pcefi, you should turn off USB mouse emulation

mouse.vusb.enable = "false"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "false"

vmsl includes ps/2 keyboard & mouse drivers, and they work for any guestOS setting.

I am using the "freebsd-64" route with VMWare player 2.5.3 build-185404.

It boots up fine but I got stuck at the Welcome screen without working mouse. I used the following config in my vmx file.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Do I actually need ps/2 keyboard and mouse on my host? Currently the mouse/keyboard hardware are USB on the host.

The "darwin10-64" route doesn't work because the VMWare Player does not support it yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Max

If you boot with guestOS="freebsd-64" and pcefi, you should turn off USB mouse emulation

mouse.vusb.enable = "false"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "false"

vmsl includes ps/2 keyboard & mouse drivers, and they work for any guestOS setting.