[Guide] Dell Vostro 1400 - Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - Vanilla Kernel 10.3.0

M0000000000

48 posts in this topic

hey people. i managed to install SL using Empire EFI way in my vostro 1310, soon i'll write on how i did...

currently i can only use 32bit mode. (arch=i386 flag)

...Got functionality in: full graphics (QE+CI), sound, ethernet, wireless, and PS2 (keyboard+trackpad). In this last one i have glitches, the trackpad pointer sometimes jumps to anywhere in the screen and the tapping has to be set everytime i start OSX in the system preferences. by the other hand side-scrolling is ok on both axis. for that i'm using VoodooPS2controller.kext and voodoops2trackpad.kext. i wanna fix this. any ideas? or any kexts you could share? :(

by the way, restarting, and shutting down are perfect. the sleep mode is the problem, i downloaded "sleepenabler.kext". this one doesn't work for me, it makes my system freeze after waking up.... any more ideas?? :)

Having problems installing 10.6 on a Dell Vostro 1400 that's with T7500 cpu (2.2 Dualcore) 4gb ram and the Intel GM965 chipset. SATA hdd (250gb) and DVD drives and NVidia GS8400m 128mb

ACHI set in bios and usb setting correct.

Boot-132 tried first. dvd seems to boot fine and use F8 to add in the - v parameter and it continues to boot from retail dvd. Darwin starts and the resolution of the screen changes. Then I get a panic with the following detail:-

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00407075): "ACPI: AcpiOsFree"@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/iokit/Kernel/IOLib.cpp:724

Debugger called: <panic>

backtrace (cpu 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

** lots of 0x5a793xxxx lines ****

Backtrace continues

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.0.3)@0x5489a0 00->0x548d0fff

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.4.1)@0x5483d0000

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOAPIFamily (1.2.8 )@0x5483d0000

Phew ;-)

Any one got any idea whats going on or how to get the install working? I managed to do a vanilla install of 10.6.1 on an MSI wind - but on the Vostro I cannot get anything to boot -s- similar errors trying boot123 OSX86 boot disks. Either via usb DVD drive or usb disk.

I guess there is some kext that needs removing/ replacing to prevent the panic. Can this be done by modding the install disk so at least it will install from the Vostro?

Currently folloing the instructions here. Installing OSX onto a new disk from another Mac (MSI wind - 10.6.2) Created install and OSX parts. restored install to the disk and ran installer to the SL part on the new disk. System restarts after about 30% sone. Tried using external USB dvd and retail disk.

Ideally I'd like to be able to boot from a usb drive (a la Dalton's Vanilla install for the wind) but I have bneen messing for hours and would just like to know how to get the thing to work.

Sorry to ramble just giving all the info ;-)

Having problems installing 10.6 on a Dell Vostro 1400 that's with T7500 cpu (2.2 Dualcore) 4gb ram and the Intel GM965 chipset. SATA hdd (250gb) and DVD drives and NVidia GS8400m 128mb

ACHI set in bios and usb setting correct.

Boot-132 tried first. dvd seems to boot fine and use F8 to add in the - v parameter and it continues to boot from retail dvd. Darwin starts and the resolution of the screen changes. Then I get a panic with the following detail:-

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00407075): "ACPI: AcpiOsFree"@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/iokit/Kernel/IOLib.cpp:724

Debugger called: <panic>

backtrace (cpu 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

** lots of 0x5a793xxxx lines ****

Backtrace continues

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.0.3)@0x5489a0 00->0x548d0fff

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.4.1)@0x5483d0000

dependancy: com.apple.iokit.IOAPIFamily (1.2.8 )@0x5483d0000

Phew ;-)

Any one got any idea whats going on or how to get the install working? I managed to do a vanilla install of 10.6.1 on an MSI wind - but on the Vostro I cannot get anything to boot -s- similar errors trying boot123 OSX86 boot disks. Either via usb DVD drive or usb disk.

I guess there is some kext that needs removing/ replacing to prevent the panic. Can this be done by modding the install disk so at least it will install from the Vostro?

Currently folloing the instructions here. Installing OSX onto a new disk from another Mac (MSI wind - 10.6.2) Created install and OSX parts. restored install to the disk and ran installer to the SL part on the new disk. System restarts after about 30% sone. Tried using external USB dvd and retail disk.

Ideally I'd like to be able to boot from a usb drive (a la Dalton's Vanilla install for the wind) but I have bneen messing for hours and would just like to know how to get the thing to work.

Sorry to ramble just giving all the info ;-)

Snow Universal 3.6 Should work

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys!

Sorry, been really busy lately...really busy

I updated the links and luckily had the OSInstall.mpkg on my computer before that site that originally had it went down.

So I uploaded it to mediafire

Also, 10.6.3 is really easy update, just like the real thing :)

Thanks again guys,

M0000000000

I've had two nagging problems with the Vostro 1400 since starting to use OS X over a year ago.

1) the trackpad tap-to-click becomes disabled after resuming from sleep.

2) audio is distorted/crackled after resuming from sleep.

I'd guess this is a function of the voodoo kexts I have in S/L/E for both VoodooHDA and VoodooPS2Controller (and not the SleepEnabler.kext I have in E/E). I had the same problem with the trackpad under 10.5.6 as well. The audio issue is a new problem experienced in all versions of Snow 10.6.

Let me say first off, that Voodoo has done an amazing job in developing and putting these fixes out for all of us to benefit from and almost all things work well in my vanilla install of Snow 10.6.3. I wish that the Vostro 1400 had more of a following in the OS X community to facilitate development of a fix to these two issues. Does anyone out there have success with these 2 persistent problems?

I'd love to find a resolution to these issues...been searching for the answer, tried a million things, but nothing found as of yet.

Waking from sleep issues can be resolved using SleepWatcher to unload the kexts before sleep and reload before waking from sleep.

Search for it and you can get rid of the 'nagging' problem.

I cannot get my Vostro 1400 (Nvidia 128mb 8400m gs) to sleep, how did you manage sleep in 10.6.3???

Waking from sleep issues can be resolved using SleepWatcher to unload the kexts before sleep and reload before waking from sleep.

Search for it and you can get rid of the 'nagging' problem.

I cannot get my Vostro 1400 (Nvidia 128mb 8400m gs) to sleep, how did you manage sleep in 10.6.3???

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and report back. Check out meklort's blog (www.meklort.com) for his 10.6.3 compatible SleepEnabler.kext and LidSleep.kext's. I put em both in E/E. They work awesome on my Vostro 1400 with the 8400 GS video. My problems arise after resuming from sleep.

I've had two nagging problems with the Vostro 1400 since starting to use OS X over a year ago.

1) the trackpad tap-to-click becomes disabled after resuming from sleep.

2) audio is distorted/crackled after resuming from sleep.

I'd guess this is a function of the voodoo kexts I have in S/L/E for both VoodooHDA and VoodooPS2Controller (and not the SleepEnabler.kext I have in E/E). I had the same problem with the trackpad under 10.5.6 as well. The audio issue is a new problem experienced in all versions of Snow 10.6.

Let me say first off, that Voodoo has done an amazing job in developing and putting these fixes out for all of us to benefit from and almost all things work well in my vanilla install of Snow 10.6.3. I wish that the Vostro 1400 had more of a following in the OS X community to facilitate development of a fix to these two issues. Does anyone out there have success with these 2 persistent problems?

I'd love to find a resolution to these issues...been searching for the answer, tried a million things, but nothing found as of yet.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

use this voodoohda for the sleep problem

works fine after sleep :P

as for the trackpad problem..i'll give you a copy of mine that works for me

http://www.mediafire.com/?2gvjyjuzntq

Does This guide work for the newer vostro 1410 (w/ or w/o) dual core??

Specs: http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?Langua...wrAjaxHistory=3

ill buy whichever one is more compatible but preferably the 1.2ghz cause it has a dual core.

Is this for 64 bit? And if not does anyone have it working on 64 and how did u do it and does it work as good as 32?

Bump... :huh:

It should work on 64 bit. Even if its running 32 bit it's faster than Windows 7!!!!! :D

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

use this voodoohda for the sleep problem

works fine after sleep :)

as for the trackpad problem..i'll give you a copy of mine that works for me

http://www.mediafire.com/?2gvjyjuzntq

M0000000000,

Thanks for the help. The VoodooHDA.kext worked fantastic. No more distorted audio after resuming from sleep. The VoodooPS2Controller didn't work however...I lost all touchpad function. I've been able to restore the touchpad with the original VoodooPS2Controller-installer.pkg-0.98.

I'm curious, do you have tap-to-click and two-finger scroll; and all working even after resuming from sleep? Do you have the Voodoo trackpad PrefPane installed? If so, how did you get this all working? I've never had any luck with the trackpad prefpane. Sorry for the million questions...I just want to solve this trackpad issue and this Vostro 1400 will be near 100%.

Also, I don't have the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext at all (my recollection is that is causes a KP). I only have the VoodooPS2Controller installed (via the pkg installer) into S/L/E.

M0000000000,

Thanks for the help. The VoodooHDA.kext worked fantastic. No more distorted audio after resuming from sleep. The VoodooPS2Controller didn't work however...I lost all touchpad function. I've been able to restore the touchpad with the original VoodooPS2Controller-installer.pkg-0.98.

I'm curious, do you have tap-to-click and two-finger scroll; and all working even after resuming from sleep? Do you have the Voodoo trackpad PrefPane installed? If so, how did you get this all working? I've never had any luck with the trackpad prefpane. Sorry for the million questions...I just want to solve this trackpad issue and this Vostro 1400 will be near 100%.

Also, I don't have the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext at all (my recollection is that is causes a KP). I only have the VoodooPS2Controller installed (via the pkg installer) into S/L/E.

yes, i have tap-to click working. i don't have two finger scroll, but i have the side part working (putting your finger on the right side or bottom to scroll). They both work even after sleep, and i do not have the prefpane.

i got it working by modifying the a few kexts inside the voodooPS2controller. at the moment, i cannot recollect what i did, but i will look into it this weekend

yes, i have tap-to click working. i don't have two finger scroll, but i have the side part working (putting your finger on the right side or bottom to scroll). They both work even after sleep, and i do not have the prefpane.

i got it working by modifying the a few kexts inside the voodooPS2controller. at the moment, i cannot recollect what i did, but i will look into it this weekend

I'd love to see how you got it done. For me, all I've done is use the VoodooPS2Controller 0.98 installer pkg without the prefpane. No luck with two-finger scroll or the side-scroll function; and tap-to-click craps out following sleep. I've tried all sorts of ApplePS2Controller.kext's and prefpane installs, usually resulting with no improvement at best or a hopelessly corrupted KP loop at worst.

I thought I read earlier in this forum post that you extracted an old ApplePS2Trackpad.kext, renamed it to "VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext" and replaced into the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Plugins. Is that what you did?

I'd love to see how you got it done. For me, all I've done is use the VoodooPS2Controller 0.98 installer pkg without the prefpane. No luck with two-finger scroll or the side-scroll function; and tap-to-click craps out following sleep. I've tried all sorts of ApplePS2Controller.kext's and prefpane installs, usually resulting with no improvement at best or a hopelessly corrupted KP loop at worst.

I thought I read earlier in this forum post that you extracted an old ApplePS2Trackpad.kext, renamed it to "VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext" and replaced into the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Plugins. Is that what you did?

yes, yes, i did something like that. though it has been a while (look at the date of it), so i'm not 100% what i did. I usually write stuff down how i do stuff so i have to dig around to find it and i'll get back to you on it

yes, yes, i did something like that. though it has been a while (look at the date of it), so i'm not 100% what i did. I usually write stuff down how i do stuff so i have to dig around to find it and i'll get back to you on it

M000000000000000,

I tried your VoodooPS2Controller in the original post on page one = crazy cursor all over the screen

I tried your VoodooPS2Controller approx 5 posts above this one = cursor behaves normal but no tap-to-click at all

I even tried a VoodooPS2Controller from an MSI forum = crazy cursor

I am seeking tap-to-click that remains after resuming from sleep...I'm ready to try anything and everything.

M000000000000000,

I tried your VoodooPS2Controller in the original post on page one = crazy cursor all over the screen

I tried your VoodooPS2Controller approx 5 posts above this one = cursor behaves normal but no tap-to-click at all

I even tried a VoodooPS2Controller from an MSI forum = crazy cursor

I am seeking tap-to-click that remains after resuming from sleep...I'm ready to try anything and everything.

the one i gave you a few posts ago. after installing it, does a "TrackPad" panel come up in the system preferences?

the one i gave you a few posts ago. after installing it, does a "TrackPad" panel come up in the system preferences?

No. No trackpad prefpane comes up in System Preferences. Whenever I double click the Trackpad.prefpane in S/L/PreferencePanes, it says it can't be opened because its not available at this time. If I double click to install the VoodooPS2.prefpane and then go to open it in System Preferences, it says "Synaptics Trackpad could not be found". Am I installing preference panes incorrectly...hows that supposed to be done anyway? Nonetheless, after messing around with PS2Controller's and PrefPanes for a while, it usually renders the system unbootable after a number of attempts. Good thing I have a spare partition to do experimenting on. I just killed another one. We'll get back to you after another re-install.

No. No trackpad prefpane comes up in System Preferences. Whenever I double click the Trackpad.prefpane in S/L/PreferencePanes, it says it can't be opened because its not available at this time. If I double click to install the VoodooPS2.prefpane and then go to open it in System Preferences, it says "Synaptics Trackpad could not be found". Am I installing preference panes incorrectly...hows that supposed to be done anyway? Nonetheless, after messing around with PS2Controller's and PrefPanes for a while, it usually renders the system unbootable after a number of attempts. Good thing I have a spare partition to do experimenting on. I just killed another one. We'll get back to you after another re-install.

Replace the Info.plist in System/Library/Preference Panes/Trackpad.pref with the on that is attached and you will get the trackpad to show in the system preferences and open up. Now check all the options you want from your trackpad!

Info.plist.zip

Replace the Info.plist in System/Library/Preference Panes/Trackpad.pref with the on that is attached and you will get the trackpad to show in the system preferences and open up. Now check all the options you want from your trackpad!

veejay & MOOOOOOOOOO,

You're freaking awesome! Trackpad tap-to-click, trackpad prefpane, sound, and sleep - all in combination have eluded me on the Vostro 1400 for a solid year. Your info.plist cracked the code. The trackpad prefpane now loads (that's a first!); and tap-to-click working following resume from sleep now works (also a first!). And thanks to you for your version of VoodooHDA that kept sound working following sleep as well. You deserve many kudos for renewing my motivation to make more out of this Vostro 1400 than the average 10.5.6 hackintosh it was for a very long time.

Now my Vostro 1400 is very near 100%. I have 3 partitions on the HDD: Partitions 1 & 2 are 10.6.3 and Part 3 is Win 7 64bit. Part 1 - the trackpad prefpane won't load no matter what I do. Part 2 - trackpad prefpane works. I don't get it. I setup both partitions exactly the same, but the prefpane only works/loads on part 2.

The webcam works OOB, but have yet to get the internal mic working. Guess I'll keep working til its perfect...or somebody donates a Macbook Pro to me.

• 2 months later...

Great, it did work for me too, terrific. Snow Kitty 10.6.4 Vanilla Flavor.

• 3 months later...
veejay & MOOOOOOOOOO,

You're freaking awesome! Trackpad tap-to-click, trackpad prefpane, sound, and sleep - all in combination have eluded me on the Vostro 1400 for a solid year. Your info.plist cracked the code. The trackpad prefpane now loads (that's a first!); and tap-to-click working following resume from sleep now works (also a first!). And thanks to you for your version of VoodooHDA that kept sound working following sleep as well. You deserve many kudos for renewing my motivation to make more out of this Vostro 1400 than the average 10.5.6 hackintosh it was for a very long time.

Now my Vostro 1400 is very near 100%. I have 3 partitions on the HDD: Partitions 1 & 2 are 10.6.3 and Part 3 is Win 7 64bit. Part 1 - the trackpad prefpane won't load no matter what I do. Part 2 - trackpad prefpane works. I don't get it. I setup both partitions exactly the same, but the prefpane only works/loads on part 2.

The webcam works OOB, but have yet to get the internal mic working. Guess I'll keep working til its perfect...or somebody donates a Macbook Pro to me.

@xRotorHead:

How were you able to solve the trackpad freeze after resuming from sleep? Thank you and have a nice day. It's my main concern with my machine. :(

Download Chameleon RC3 thanks to Dr. Hurt for making it!

Now install that to your partition with the Snow Leopard Install

Now download this

Extra

Unzip that and you should get a folder called Extra

Open up the Partition that you installed Snow Leopard to and Replace the Extra folder there with the one you just downloaded

the Extras-file is down, could you please re-upp it ?