BootCDMaker

Trauma!

126 posts in this topic

vbetts,

Basically yes, restore the dmg to your USB key and the CD will boot it. you can also install chameleon alongside SL on the USB key.

Regarding BootCDMaker i've just updated the software to release 1.1, nices new features on the menu :)

First post updated.

Bye.

I just finished testing the new version 1.1. I placed the following files in "Extra Contents" and ran the app.

com.apple.Boot.plist
dsdt.aml 
mach_kernel
smbios.plist
Extensions/

It asked about the various Boot.plist options and also if I wanted custom kernel options. A few seconds later I had a bootCD.iso file. I checked the content of the Preboot.dmg file and everything looked good. I burned the CD using Disk utility and restarted the system. I got a never ending list of bios errors.

I rebooted the system and used Toast 10 to burn another CD. When I restarted the system this new CD loaded without any Bios Errors. Swapped the CD with the SL install DVD, pressed F5 and It continued the boot to the OS X Installer without any problem.

I must admit, this is very easy to sue once you have the required set of support kext identified.

I have no idea why burning the CD with disk utility would result in bios errors and Toast would not. Strange.

Disk Utility is made to support drives Apple use on their machines so, it's not surprising that it doesn't support (or gives troubles with) other drives, specially IDE drives. My SATA drive works fine but, it shows all the time on DU "Burn Support: Unsupported" (though on System Profiler shows "Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)"). The tendency here is to get worse.. On Snow, most of the IDE support was dumped so, people with IDE drives are going to have troubles.

Toast uses his own drivers to control burners, mount images, etc.. it doesn't use any of the system resources. If you guys still have troubles with discs burned with Toast, suspect of your driver!

It's "probably" not BootCDMaker's fault.

All i can suggest is, use SATA drives in AHCI mode as much as you can! For CD/DVD drives try using another controller if you mobo has one (jmicro, etc..). Else look/wait for patched drivers or use USB to restore the OS X installer image (maybe that works).

Edited by Azimutz

Disk Utility is made to support drives Apple use on their machines so, it's not surprising that it doesn't support (or gives troubles with) other drives, specially IDE drives. My SATA drive works fine but, it shows all the time on DU "Burn Support: Unsupported" (though on System Profiler shows "Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)"). The tendency here is to get worse.. On Snow, most of the IDE support was dumped so, people with IDE drives are going to have troubles.

Toast uses his own drivers to control burners, mount images, etc.. it doesn't use any of the system resources. If you guys still have troubles with discs burned with Toast, suspect of your driver!

It's not BootCDMaker's fault.

All i can suggest is, use SATA drives in AHCI mode as much as you can! For CD/DVD drives try using another controller if you mobo has one (jmicro, etc..). Else look/wait for patched drivers or use USB to restore the OS X installer image (maybe that works).

I wouldn't use the word "fault". I don't know if the bios errors are an artifact of the way the iso is created or not. Still, I do have other preboot disks burned under SnowLeo using disk utility and they don't experience the bios errors. I plan to make another test where the BootCDmaker app burns the CD directly and see if that makes a difference.

Both my HDD and DVD drive are SATA drives. However the only SATA option I have is IDE/ICH5. That's why I need to use a patched copy of AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Edit Update: I just finished running a test where I allowed the BootCDmaker app to initiate the burn process. I first inserted a blank CD-R disk and it kept being ejected. Next, I inserted a used DVD-RW disk and it was accepted, erased and burned. when I rebooted the system using that BootCD there were NO bios errors.

Therefore, one can conclude that the bios errors are either related to non re-writable media or the way the burn process is initiated - or the phases of the moon :P

I did some additional testing with disk utility burning the bootCD. When I used a DVD media, either -R or -RW the system boots without any ebios read errors. If I used a CD media and the BootCDmaker iso I got an endless string of ebios read errors. I don't currently have any CD-RW media so I couldn't test that.

I also created a preboot CD using the Chameleon boot-132 package. With that one I got 3 or 4 ebios read errors on a CD media but then the Chameleon boot prompt came up and it worked. That could be because it uses a different cdboot module or there may be some differences in the command used to create the iso file. For reference, the command used to create the boot-132 iso is:

hdiutil makehybrid -o cdboot.iso cdboot/ -iso -hfs -joliet -eltorito-boot cdboot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -hfs-volume-name "SL boot132" -joliet-volume-name "SL boot132"

Only Trauma! could say if there is any difference there.

Well that's actually the exact same command to create the ISO file. What i can see is the "cdboot" used by "the Chameleon boot-132 package" is older than the one i've included in the app.

Thanks guys to look after this EBIOS errors source, i hope we will find a solution soon. But it's look like symptoms are really differents from one case to another. That's wired. I'll try to burn the iso on a CD here, cause i never had a single EBIOS error here (i'm using a DVD-RW).

About the burning feature of BootCDMaker, it can in fact only burn RW media for now. Don't worry i'll fix this soon.

Just a quick stop by...

Trauma.. Burn feature with CD-RW (that's all i've been using), only erases the media, even when it's erased :rolleyes:

Gave it a try on Leo, had to use it from the Desktop folder, or it will not run (check attached pic).

I'm just mentioning this because, my Home folder is on a different partition.. on Snow it's set as Home on my account and the app works fine. Check the path to the app on the pic.

On Leo, the Home folder is on the same volume as system.

Still no ebios errors.

post-291566-1253021771_thumb.png

Ok i've fixed the issue about burning feature. Now you have the choice to Erase/Burn or Burn.

@ Azymutz: I was unable to reproduce this bug. I've executed the app from other devices, 10.5 and 10.6 and from various places. It's always work as long as there no spaces in the file path. Unfortunately i didn't fixed this yet.

@ BladeRunner : I've burned the same ISO to a CD and a DVD, and you were right there is EBIOS errors when using a CD, where all work fine on a DVD.

About the differences of errors number between BootCDMaker ISO's and the "the Chameleon boot-132 package" : i'm pretty sure this caused by the fact BootCDMaker ISO's use a custom theme. The is far much data to load from the drive than if you use the embedded theme of chameleon.

According this conclusions : errors are generated by the media type and the amount of blocks the loader have to read.

I hope we will find a fix soon.

Cheers.

Ok i've fixed the issue about burning feature. Now you have the choice to Erase/Burn or Burn.

@ Azymutz: I was unable to reproduce this bug. I've executed the app from other devices, 10.5 and 10.6 and from various places. It's always work as long as there no spaces in the file path. Unfortunately i didn't fixed this yet.

@ BladeRunner : I've burned the same ISO to a CD and a DVD, and you were right there is EBIOS errors when using a CD, where all work fine on a DVD.

About the differences of errors number between BootCDMaker ISO's and the "the Chameleon boot-132 package" : i'm pretty sure this caused by the fact BootCDMaker ISO's use a custom theme. The is far much data to load from the drive than if you use the embedded theme of chameleon.

According this conclusions : errors are generated by the media type and the amount of blocks the loader have to read.

I hope we will find a fix soon.

Cheers.

By all means, let's keep the custom theme. I like it much better than the default one. The boot prompt instructions are a great idea.

Trauma.. and all..

Well, i haven't much to add.

Decided to partition HD, make clean Snow install (was still running updated one), refresh Home folder, get rid of HD installed booter, etc...

Perfect boot, perfect install, no glitches on Snow retail, using CD-RW. After reading you guys posts, i guess there's no need for me to try DVD-RW. Using DVD-RW is a nice alternative to CD-RW.. they always seem to me, to work better under OS X.

About the app failing to launch, let it roll.. if no one else reports it :) I can't try it at the moment because i removed Leo and i still didn't decided if i'm gonna restore it again.. probably. If i do, i'll try again.

As you can see in the pic, i have no spaces in the path.. i rarely use them to avoid problems.

As a side note, i'm still surprised by that voodoo stuff.. aicpm.kext wasn't panicing. The fact that i forgot to use matching version kexts, had nothing to do with it. Using matching kexts only gave me a cleaner boot. The hpet/aicpm messages only show when i use fakesmc but, even using appledecript and no disabler the installer still booted :withstupid:

Will give it a try later.

Now, going to set up the rest of the stuff on my HD..

See ya..

Trauma, has anyone reported success with using bootcdmaker to make a working boot cd for a Intel D945GCLF system?

I've been trying to get a working setup for this, keep running into a lot of weird problems. my most recent attempt tried to boot, but I immediately got a KP about the atom cpu being a unrecognized cpu. I used one of the other chameleon based boot methods with a 8 GB flash drive, so I had the nullcpumangement kext and openhalt and fakesmc kexts,

I'm at work right now so I won't get to try this out until later on this evening. I'm hoping this will work.

just to be on the safe side, is there a recommended app to use to create the smbios.plist / DSDT.aml files for the D945GCLF or should I go without them?

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about this whole process, when I built my hackintosh leopard had been out for quite some time and the boot-132 method was so easy to use that I didn't have to do much more than just burn the iso image I downloaded and then use it to install Leopard.

Thanks for any info you can send me way

Thank you very much, Trauma

I could make a Snow BootCD for my EP35-DS3P without resetting CMOS when BootCDMaker was working on SL only. Burning BootCD.iso on Windows 7. :rolleyes: I tested to install a retail DVD of SL for a few times. It went OK. How? I knew DSDT. aml's working because I patched DSDT with an nVidia injector of 8800GT. After finished installation, I did some the following steps;

- reinserted the BootCD and booted the installed partition and went on the procedure

- installed Chameleon 2.0 RC2 r640.pkg or higher if available

- installed required kexts of PC-OS X in /Extra/Extensions; smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist, and DSDT.aml w/ fixing CMOS resetting into /Extra

- removed everything in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

- used Kext Utility for repairing permissions and building mkexts

- opened Disk Utility for Repair Disk Permissions again

- then restarted

- enjoy the OS.

For EP45-UD3R:

- took EP35-DS3P's BootCD.iso to be mounted in Leo 10.5.8.

- copied /Extra to Desktop (not the same as in Preboot.dmg)

- opened Preboot.dmg

- opened /Extra

- replaced DSDT.aml & smbios.plist for EP45-UD3R

- pasted HD4870 1 GB GFX string in com.apple.Boot.plist and saved it

- copied /Extra to a flash drive

working on Windows Vista

- used MagicISO open an EP35-DS3P's BootCD.iso

- deleted /Extra and added /Extra from a flash drive

- saved it with a new name and burnt CD-RW

- restarted the modified BootCD and went on to install SL

- everything went OK.

Now, I can install a retail DVD of SL or use it for booting after restoring backup dmg.

Next time I will learn how to create iso by using command.

Hy, your tool is very great!

Thank's!

But my retail install wont work correct - at the end of the setup the installer brings a error - "osx couldn't be started corectly"

I had this problem everytime when i use chameleon bootfile, with the PCIEFI from netkas is all ok!

Is there any way to change from chameleon to pcefi`

Thank's, elvnox

But my retail install wont work correct - at the end of the setup the installer brings a error - "osx couldn't be started corectly"

elvnox.. that's just the installer saying that, it can't set the boot partition. The installation is fine ;)

After the dvd boots it says

init

file size:xx

reading sectors:xx

done_

Am I supposed to do something?

I tried to swap the disk and do all the keys on the keyboard, but nothing at all...

Sorry.. Is someone know something, my DVDs are not RW, and I don't have many left...

After the dvd boots it says

init

file size:xx

reading sectors:xx

done_

Am I supposed to do something?

I tried to swap the disk and do all the keys on the keyboard, but nothing at all...

Sorry.. Is someone know something, my DVDs are not RW, and I don't have many left...

Try the "Legacy" mode. And prefer a DVD-RW media.

I had success with this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183751

And follow my bios setup at post #137

caiowa

I tried this and it didn't work for me. I verified that my bios settings were correct.

I'll try it again when I have the time. I'm in the middle college Final Exams so I don't have a lot of free time at the moment.

Trauma,

I would like to add Snow's Extensions.mkext for Gigabyte (E)P35 & (E)P45, in AHCI mode, so that a BootCD for SL can be made on OS X 10.5.x.

Also, I included my GFX string of HD4870 1GB in com.apple.Boot.plist.

P.S. On Leo, I tried to build a BootCD for booting Snow DVD by taking required kexts into /Extra Contents/Extensions. BootCDMaker built a BootCd.iso and I burnt it to CD-RW by using Windows 7. It loaded but it failed to boot Snow DVD properly and got grey screen for a long time.

To anyone;

If you want to use GFX string, you can put com.apple.Boot.plist which has device-properties of your GFX string into /Extra Contents.

Snow_Extensions_mkext.zip

/Extra Contents

-- DSDT.aml //based on your motherboard, HDEF & nVidia injectors may be included, fixed CMOS resetting for Gigabyte.

-- smbios.plist //based on your system, i.e. CPU, RAM, Model what you want, Serial number & so on

-- mach_kernel //get from a retail Snow DVD 10.6

-- com.apple.Boot.plist //if you desire to use GFX string for your graphic card

-- Extensions.mkext

Then, just follow the procedure.

Thank again Trauma.