DSDT for ALC882 and others - Please help to make a guide!

failo

37 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble to get my audio working in SL. There is no good guide for making dsdt.aml file that will be universal for every motherboard. All the dsdt gudes are made on "example" that works only for this and only motherboard. It would be great for most of the users with older motherboards to know how to apply dsdt to their motherboards, as dsdt is the new "EFI".

Here is my problem: ALC882 working after patching with Taruga Patcher.

Here is what I've tried:

Added this in dsdt.aml (dsdt was generated by dsdt patcher from koola)

In dsdt.aml there was no AZAL or HDEF device so I added one just before Device (IDE0) and after Device (MC97) as I found this in a guide for Gigabyte motherboards. Here is the code:

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0A)
                       {
                           "built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }, 

"codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x82, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x27, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC882"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

Here is what I found about my card with IORegistryExplorer

ioregistry.jpg

Hope to get some links and helpful responds:

I also have a ALC882 device on an P5W DH board here, so I'm also going to give this a try. But you're right, there's no tutorial anywhere from some genius that knows how DSDT works, that explains how to add your own entries. The only thing you can find are examples, but the don't include pointers as to what data relates to what on your motherboard.

@matemango Thanks a lot for your files! My sound works now, I reedited my dsdt file and added hdef before Device (MCH) and installed kexts from your pack. At the moment my mic is not working! Does your mic work?

I will remove hdef from my dsdt to check if it is affecting the sound!

I found this boot argument in your boot.plist arch=i386 what does it do? are you able to boot in 64 bits?

Mine too matemargo! Thank you!

I do even have two outputs, and system profiler shows information correctly. Mic not tested though.

I'm gonna backup these kexts for sure :D

@failo: I didn't need to add anything sound related to DSDT.

Bye!

P.S: Regarding reboot and shutdown, are you using OpenHaltRestart? I do, but when I press -v on boot and see the log, it says something like "System shutdown cause: 3"... like it was not rebooted or shutted down properly... any ideas?

failo, i havent test 64bits mode, since i dont need it. new boot file from chameleon uses that argument: arch=i386 to boot in 32bits instead of -x32. if you delete it from boot.plist, you will boot in 64bits, but i havent try that.

Yomus, i have no idea about that system shutdown case: 3. but my sleep is working fine, at least using the power button to sleep and to wake the cpu.

i tested my mic and it is working ok.

failo, i havent test 64bits mode, since i dont need it. new boot file from chameleon uses that argument: arch=i386 to boot in 32bits instead of -x32. if you delete it from boot.plist, you will boot in 64bits, but i havent try that.

Yomus, i have no idea about that system shutdown case: 3. but my sleep is working fine, at least using the power button to sleep and to wake the cpu.

i tested my mic and it is working ok.

@matemago

Can you please upload your AppleHDA.kext because it seems that I cannot install any of the kexts I've downloaded from that russian site. I tried with kextUtility.

I installed manually via terminal but none of them works...

Currently I'm using VoodooHDA and it seems to be fine, but I would like to try this solution too.

Thanks

i really cant tell if the digital output is working. give it a try. i dont have a digital receiver.

hope it works, and please post if it works so everyone knows.

I tried the digital outputand... It doesn't work...

I have 4 different outputs but none is the digital optical output.

If someone knows of solution to use the digital output on my ALC882 with SL, please help me.

Wonderjacky

i have tried guide from http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-how-t...da-to-sl-t3981/

to patch alc882 P5W DH DELUXE, and i got all output worked (included Digital output), but screwed something about mic? Maybe about dsdt settings?

Again, only guide to make AppleHDA work for Digital Output can i find.

Sorry for my english.

If you find this useful, i can atach kext.

i have tried guide from http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-how-t...da-to-sl-t3981/

to patch alc882 P5W DH DELUXE, and i got all output worked (included Digital output), but screwed something about mic? Maybe about dsdt settings?

Again, only guide to make AppleHDA work for Digital Output can i find.

Sorry for my english.

If you find this useful, i can atach kext.

Sure, upload it!

Btw, are you using HDAEnabler or anything like that? Or just the AppleHDA patched kext?

P.S: One question, anyone of you is using more than 2 gigs with the p5ld2 board? Does SL recognize the 4 whole gigs?

I have same results, anyway if i use patched dsdt with generic HDA, or HDAEnabler.kext, Internal microphone is gone.

But, outputs is all OK, i use front headphones output for Z3E, and Digital out for Z5500.

Here is kext http://rapidshare.com/files/281825893/P5WD...pleHDA.kext.zip

If someone got better result, please post it.

Again, this is best way to get sound for me for now.

I have same results, anyway if i use patched dsdt with generic HDA, or HDAEnabler.kext, Internal microphone is gone.

But, outputs is all OK, i use front headphones output for Z3E, and Digital out for Z5500.

Here is kext http://rapidshare.com/files/281825893/P5WD...pleHDA.kext.zip

If someone got better result, please post it.

Again, this is best way to get sound for me for now.

It is working for me.

Thanks a lot!

Wonderjacky

I too would love to have somewhat more understanding of dsdt as to how it relates to my board. I have a good board but a general info would be nice to actually learn somewhat how to edit it. From what I have read it's complicated so an all in one dsdt app would be awesome. There is an app out by a spanish group but it felt a little over my head. Koala's patcher did the best for me.