P5Q & 10.6.1 Retail

Quazaban

118 posts in this topic

Be careful with SleepEnabler.kext it makes a kernel panic. Remove it from extra folder and then it works fine again. I read it from http://netkas.org/?p=315 and this is the new SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2 (http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/SleepEnabler.kext.zip)

:-)

Thank you SOOO much for this helpful tidbit. Ran the update and sure enough, it kernel panicked right after restarting. This probably saved hours of hair-pulling. :P

The only other thing that needed a fix was audio. All in all, this was a relatively painless update

Hello,

I have everything working just fine for now, except for chameleon. I've tried Chameleon RC2 and RC3. They both install fine, but the PC won't boot into OSX without the boot132 CD.

There is one release of chameleon without an automated installer, but I can't install it. Here is the way it's supposed to be done:

" Normal Install (non-RAID):

--------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:

sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!"

I try the commands, but I get an error saying there is no such directory or something. Is is 'cause I have the HD partitioned as GUID?

Is there any other way to install chameleon without messing around with terminal?

Edit: One thing I hadn't tried was installing Chameleon with pacifist. I'll see if that did the trick

Leppis,

You need to be in the directory where boot0 and boot1h are located.

For example, my extracted contents of Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 is located here:

/Users/iant/Desktop/Chameleon2/i386

In Terminal perform the following:

Change working directory to location of Chameleon binaries:

cd /Users/iant/Desktop/Chameleon2/i386

In this example, my hard drive is /dev/disk0, and the SL partition is /dev/disk0s2

Install boot0 to the MBR:

Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

Copy boot file to root of hard drive (it's recommended that you use Netkas' updated PC EFI v10.5):

sudo cp boot /

There is a way to install Chameleon without messing with Terminal. Dr. Hurt created an unsupported installation package with 2.0 RC3-r658, you can find it on here.

Hope this helps!

Peace,

IanT

Hello,

I have everything working just fine for now, except for chameleon. I've tried Chameleon RC2 and RC3. They both install fine, but the PC won't boot into OSX without the boot132 CD.

There is one release of chameleon without an automated installer, but I can't install it. Here is the way it's supposed to be done:

" Normal Install (non-RAID):

--------------------------

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:

sudo cp boot /

No need to use startupfiletool anymore!"

I try the commands, but I get an error saying there is no such directory or something. Is is 'cause I have the HD partitioned as GUID?

Is there any other way to install chameleon without messing around with terminal?

Thanks for the fast reply! I will try that next.

Before, when I installed the Dr.Hurts's version, the boot got stuck at the point when it loads the ethernet driver. It's hard to explain. Anyway, that method didn't work.

Ok... weird.... terminal didn't accept my root password. Now it does, but I can't use the commands. I get this error:

"sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0664, should be 0440

Segmentation fault" ;)

Edit2: Ok. I'm giving up. I have no Idea what causes the hang. And I can't even do the manual install. I just have to boot with the bootCD inside.

Is there any way to get the bootloader from the P5Q 132 boot CD? It's the only one that works.

Don't know if it is your case, but I had Leopard installed in first partition and my PC booted from there no matter what I put in Snow Leopard partition... If you have another partition from which you booted before put new files and prefs there... I've spent a week solving this :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi,i installed a non retail version of SL 10.6.2

i tried 2 distros,snowosx 3.6 e SL by hazard

all working fine but:

when i install my sapphire 4850 512mb,the pc works perfectly,but i have strange noise.

i don't know where they come from.but i suspect from my gpu...i try sto stop the fan,but the noise remains...

I'm sure the problem is caused by video drivers

I don'tknow how to fix it, someone help me?

sorry for ma poor english,i'm italian

my distro in the signature work perfectly

• 1 month later...

I have same problem B)

can anyone help??!

hi,i installed a non retail version of SL 10.6.2

i tried 2 distros,snowosx 3.6 e SL by hazard

all working fine but:

when i install my sapphire 4850 512mb,the pc works perfectly,but i have strange noise.

i don't know where they come from.but i suspect from my gpu...i try sto stop the fan,but the noise remains...

I'm sure the problem is caused by video drivers

I don'tknow how to fix it, someone help me?

sorry for ma poor english,i'm italian

my distro in the signature work perfectly

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have an Asus p5Q pro mobo and one physical harddrive. So when I try to do a GUID partation instead of a master boot record partition, it will not allow it. Is there a work around for it? Do you have to have multiple harddrive to do a Guid partation?

Please someone suggest a solution , I been trying for a quite a long time.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

hi all,

reposting this from my post in another Asus thread, P5Q Deluxe, that has had no replies after a few days:

hi everyone,

I've been researching the Hackintosh scene for some time, and have been running OS X on a Dell Mini 9 for the last year. I figured building a Hackintosh desktop machine would be almost as easy.. how wrong I was! I checked out the various Asus P5Q Deluxe threads on here, including this one, and it looked easy enough to install. But I really am wishing I'd bought another motherboard now.. here's the list of components I have.

Asus P5Q Deluxe P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core Quad Q9400 2.66 Processor

Netgear WG311 Wireless-G PCI Card

Kingston 4gb Kit (2x2gb) 667mhz/pc2-5300 Memory

Gigabyte 9400GT 1GB GDDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card

First of all: I changed the BIOS on the P5Q mobo for the 2201_Slic version.

I have Snow Leopard installed on my Mini 9 and a USB stick with the retail SL image on it, complete with an installation of Chameleon. First of all I tried to install Snow Leopard on the 1TB drive I'd bought for this build. On the Mini 9 I connected it up to a USB-SATA caddy, formatted it in Disk Utility, then installed Snow Leopard from the USB stick. Connected this up to the desktop... nothing but kernel panics. I've tried adding kexts, I've tried altering kexts and plists, but I'm getting really confused now.

I figured I'd try installing 10.5 Leopard first to see if that was possible. Couldn't find my DVD of that anywhere, so I downloaded iAtkos v7 and managed to install a running version of 10.5. I selected some additional drivers with the installation but all that seems to work in full resolution (1920x1080 on this monitor) but the picture looks very pixellated and not as 'sharp' as the Mini 9 connected to the same monitor via a VGA cable does. No audio, no internet, no option to use anything other than 60Hz in the Displays prefpane. In iAtkos, I added a whole folder of P5Q kexts that I'd downloaded from this forum to Kext Utility, installed them, and when I restarted, it just got stuck on a blank screen and refused to boot. So, I reinstalled iAtkos again and haven't done anything to it yet.

I then tried reformatting the 1tb drive for Snow Leopard using Disk Utility in iAtkos. I opened the SL install USB stick again in the Finder, and it loads, gets to about a third of the way through the installation, and then the machine reboots. If I try to boot from the USB stick itself, I just get a kernel panic.

Can anybody help me?? All I want to do is get 10.6 up and running sad.gif

Thanks,

-Mark

I've been googling about this non-stop and thus found this thread. More things for me to experiment with, but I'm still not getting anywhere.

First of all I updated the BIOS to the 2301_Slic version.

I then tried changing the CPU settings in the BIOS as described in the first post here, and now I can't even get iAtkos to boot up. Chameleon loads the first Apple logo screen with the silver brushed metal apple on it, then the computer restarts itself. Also tried booting off the Snow Leopard USB stick I'd made once more, and it still results in a kernel panic.

Am I completely missing something here when I can't even get the Snow Leopard install disc to run?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, at this point I'm seriously considering just changing the motherboard to a Gigabyte one or something.

Thanks,

-Mark