OSX 10.6 on Shuttle SG33G5 - anyone with experiences ?

luc290670

31 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

I had a weird occurence. I installed 10.6.2 update just fine. Everything was perfect until I tried the sleep mode. The computer went to sleep and then I couldn't wake it. I pressed the power button to get it to reboot, it got to the Apple screen and it just sat there forever. I tried reinstalling the system 3 more times using the same method as previous but I was still getting the same result. Just a frozen Apple screen. I even checked to verify the HD and everything checked out. I'm now reinstalling snow leopard onto my USB drive and will try to reinstall again.

Any clue as to what may have happened?

If you tried to put the machine into sleep mode and it doesn't "wake up", first run Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions. Of course, you can't boot into your machine right now, so in order to boot OS X again simply unplug your computer from the power outlet, press the power button for @15 seconds or leave the machine alone for a couple of minutes. That will drain the PSU power completely and allow you to boot into your OS next time.

This is a weird behavior that I have personally experienced with the Shuttle SG33G5 and the Shuttle K45 (less frequently).

It might sound weird to you as well, just follow my advise and do it as I suggested. The OS hasn't been damaged in any way and you will be surprised that you actually reinstalled the OS 3 times when in fact there wasn't anything wrong with it.

There seems to be a problem with the Disk cache and the SG33G5 controller. It has happened to me as well.

So, resuming... Unplug the machine from the power outlet for 2 minutes. Press the power button @15-20 seconds while the machine is unplugged from the power source. Reconnect the SG33G5, turn it on and boot with -v.

It might not boot the very first time, don't worry. Press the Restart button or the power button to power cycle it and eventually it will boot.

Sleep works for me but I never put the machine into sleep mode nor I turn it off. Mine is a 24/7 online computer connected to a UPS. Still running 10.6.2 - 79 days uptime since last reboot.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply!

I actually got it to work again when I reformatted the HD and installed Windows 7 the following day after being frustrated from a night of re-installing SL. Windows 7 worked so I knew for sure the problem wasn't with the HD. I reformatted the HD, reinstalled SL and I've got it running PERFECTLY. I tried upgrading to 10.6.4 but wasn't too successful. I'll stick with 10.6.2. I'm quite happy with it.

I turned off the 'sleep' feature to make sure it doesn't happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

Works great !

Only thing - time machine does not make backups. When starting, either manually or at the scheduled time, the time machine icon starts spinning for 2 seconds, then stops, resulting in no backup and no error message.

Anyone had the same problem ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
update, yoni's server is back online. when updating to 10.6.4, you need to delete sleepenabler.kext and get the 10.6.4 one from kexts.com. Also the spdif port is not working w/ voodoohda.kext, but everything else does.

What would be the proper steps to upgrading to 10.6.4? Thanks for the help.