[Guide] Dell Latitude D630/D830

Air

91 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've gotten snow leopard working on my Dell D830 with NVIDIA 140M card. The NVIDIA driver is the best I've seen so far with HW acceleration (QE/CI) working, external display, and even detection of an external display if connected after bootup; something I couldn't manager with Leo in previous attempts.

I've not completely researched everything yet, but after a fresh install, I can run in 64 bit mode, and these are the state of things:

What's not working:

- Sleep

- Battery indicator

- Wireless

- Shutdown/reboot is not working due to the nvidia drivers.

- sound: MIC in

Some notes:

- The boot loader only loads 50% of the time. I typically have to power on, wait for the bootloader to load to load, and press ctrl-alt-delete. The 2nd time around it boots OS X, but without presenting a command line.

- Another issue is that kext caching doesn't work. I can only boot with the -f parameter, which I had to put in /Volumes/SL/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist since I don't know how to get a command line for the kernel params while booting. I'll try some different versions of cameleon etc see if I can fix that. The kernel panics at a really early stage if I don't use -f

- Sound wasn't working out of the box. I had to delete IntelHDA.kext and use a 64 bit version of VoodooHDA.kext. Mute works as well as line out but the MIC in doesn't work.

Thanks for the guide! Excellent work.

Will

Does not work for my Dell D830. Get a kernel panic.

Tried -f at command line. Copied extensions to both /Extra/Extensions and /S/L/E.

No use.

I do not have a custom DSDT.aml for this machine. Can you post your DSDT.aml ?

Tried -f at command line. Copied extensions to both /Extra/Extensions and /S/L/E.

No use.

I don't use a DSDT file. I used the alternate bootloader as described in the top post, including copying of the smbios.plist file. What kernel panic message are you getting?

Try this as a starting point for a DELL D830

dsdt.aml.gz

What is a good replacement card for the Intel 4965 in Dell D830 ? Or does iwldarwin work ?

Any standard miniPCI-E card should fit in the D830.

Try ebay and search for "airport broadcom" or "airport hackingtosh" in titles and description and you should find a selection.

My card supports 802.11n and is based on the "BCM4321" chipset, again a search of ebay will give you a number of choices but if you don't want or need 802.11n there is not much point paying extra for it.

Replacing the card is easy, it involves popping the plastic cover that covers the hinges, removing three screws that hold the keyboard down, disconnecting the keyboard and then replacing the card.

I believe instructions are on the Dell site.

For all these commands I see diamonds with question marks instead of the actual command (i.e. Sudo ��"s). Is it just me or is it like that for everybody? I really want to build a hackintosh, but can't follow the guide if I can't read the commands. It looks really complete, thanks for all the work.

For all these commands I see diamonds with question marks instead of the actual command (i.e. Sudo ��"s). Is it just me or is it like that for everybody? I really want to build a hackintosh, but can't follow the guide if I can't read the commands. It looks really complete, thanks for all the work.

hey, i just re-submitted the guide so it looks good now. dunno why all those weird symbols happened though, really annoying. hopefully it doesn't happen again, but i think the only things that get replaced are quotation marks and apostrophes, so nothing too important.

hey, i just re-submitted the guide so it looks good now. dunno why all those weird symbols happened though, really annoying. hopefully it doesn't happen again, but i think the only things that get replaced are quotation marks and apostrophes, so nothing too important.

Thanks, that looks great, I can't wait to try it tomorrow. I hope to post my success story tomorrow afternoon

Hi,

I've gotten snow leopard working on my Dell D830 with NVIDIA 140M card. The NVIDIA driver is the best I've seen so far with HW acceleration (QE/CI) working, external display, and even detection of an external display if connected after bootup; something I couldn't manager with Leo in previous attempts.

I've not completely researched everything yet, but after a fresh install, I can run in 64 bit mode, and these are the state of things:

What's not working:

- Sleep

- Battery indicator

- Wireless

- Shutdown/reboot is not working due to the nvidia drivers.

- sound: MIC in

Some notes:

- The boot loader only loads 50% of the time. I typically have to power on, wait for the bootloader to load to load, and press ctrl-alt-delete. The 2nd time around it boots OS X, but without presenting a command line.

- Another issue is that kext caching doesn't work. I can only boot with the -f parameter, which I had to put in /Volumes/SL/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist since I don't know how to get a command line for the kernel params while booting. I'll try some different versions of cameleon etc see if I can fix that. The kernel panics at a really early stage if I don't use -f

- Sound wasn't working out of the box. I had to delete IntelHDA.kext and use a 64 bit version of VoodooHDA.kext. Mute works as well as line out but the MIC in doesn't work.

Thanks for the guide! Excellent work.

Will

Heyho,

can you pls upload your files for working NVS140 ? would be nice

Tried this DSDT.aml on a new vanilla install by placing it in /Extra and /. I get an unable to find drivers for this platform error (see one of my other threads).

If you have a working Leopard installation, try using the 'dstd gui patcher' (do a google search) to create a specific dsdt.aml file for your machine. On my D830 I had to select the "alternate HPET" option or I'd receive a KP on boot (complaining about not finding the HPET).

Heyho,

can you pls upload your files for working NVS140 ? would be nice

Just use the nvkush.kext from the zip in the first post.

If you have a working Leopard installation, try using the 'dstd gui patcher' (do a google search) to create a specific dsdt.aml file for your machine. On my D830 I had to select the "alternate HPET" option or I'd receive a KP on boot (complaining about not finding the HPET).

I found other ways to get dsdt.aml.

nvkush (or natit) appear to be unnecessary for getting NVS Quadro 140M working on my Dell D830. I have full QE/CI if the system profiler is right.

See my guide.

I found other ways to get dsdt.aml.

nvkush (or natit) appear to be unnecessary for getting NVS Quadro 140M working on my Dell D830. I have full QE/CI if the system profiler is right.

See my guide.

you have graphics working without kexts? does this mean you fixed the shutdown-reboot problem, and can you link to your guide? shutdown is the absolute last standing problem i have with the latitude. everything else is working now.

Thanx Very very much...works nearly perfekt, just try out some thinks.

Audio does not work right now, try VoodooHDA stuff...

Edit:

So, dont know how...audio works.

Installed VoodooHDA 64bit, didnt work.

Had generatet a DSDT file, bootet up with it, deleted it, bootet again and uupps, there is sound ???

Maybe, everything works fine, will do some checks...

Edit:

thats funny...no more internal keyboard / mouse but sound...

Ok,

switched to 64 bit: sound works with VodooHDA but no Keyboard (not with VodooPS2 (64bit) not with ApplePS2 (32bit)

Switch back to 32bit: sound dont work (VoodooHDA is 64bit), get Key /Mouse back (with ApplePS2)

Everythings works nearly perfect in 64 Bit, wow...

anyone with 64bit Key / Mouse kext for Latitude D830 ??

Edit:

found some kext for Key / Mouse :-) works...

What works in 64 bit:

NVS 140 Graphic

Sound

WiFi

Key / Mouse

CD/DVD Burner

Bluetooth

Dont work:

Lan by wire

Sleep / shut down

Startet right now by external HDD via USB, later will dublicate to internal HDD

Be now an 10.6.1

you have graphics working without kexts? does this mean you fixed the shutdown-reboot problem, and can you link to your guide? shutdown is the absolute last standing problem i have with the latitude. everything else is working now.

I have no shutdown issues. I simply fixed my dsdt.aml and that made powermanagement work without a hitch. I still do not have sleep, but then, I did not work on that - I probably need a kext or two.

My keyboard + mouse is not working as ACPIPS2Nub.kext fails to load with missing dependencies. I would appreciate any hints.

Sound - the external speakers do not work. However, I am confident I will be able to make them work given my past good experiences with VoodooHDA.

Here is the link:

Minimalist retail Snow Leopard install on Dell D830

oh hmm when you say video is working, does that mean working in the best resolution for the monitor? so for a d630 that would be 1280x800, and in a d830 i believe it would be like 1440x900. because my graphics work without any kexts but they're stuck in like 1024x768, which is pretty lousy, but doesn't kill shutdown.

oh hmm when you say video is working, does that mean working in the best resolution for the monitor? so for a d630 that would be 1280x800, and in a d830 i believe it would be like 1440x900. because my graphics work without any kexts but they're stuck in like 1024x768, which is pretty lousy, but doesn't kill shutdown.

Yes, Internal LCD works with Native 1900x1200x32 (i bought it for Nuendo...), can switch to any res, like 1280 or what ever

Battery Meter is gone after update to 10.6.1

Are your LED´s for WLan / WiFi and Bluetooth working, my are allways dark. Is there a Fix?

Shutdown dont work, like 10.5.X, have to push powerbutton for 4sec´s, but for me its ok.

Is PCMCIA working for you, seems my dont work

But all other thing are working in 32Bit and 64 Bit.

For now from External HDD via USB

Is there any solution to switch between EXTRA folder´s ? cause i use same HDD with SL for my D830 and EeePC901go.

Have to rename the Extra Folder to Extra.901 or Extra.830 if i whant to boot to the other system, not much work, but could be easier.

Please see my post Updates

I don't know if this will help anyone but attached are the necessary files for a nearly 100% working D830 system. This is all based on the information from the first post.

If starting from scratch:

a) make sure your have the latest 'A14' BIOS for the laptop installed

b ) Install a retail version of SL onto a new drive (see the first post)

c) Use the Chameleon RC3 installer to put the boot loader and necessary files onto the new drive

d) Extract the Extras folder from the attached ZIP onto the root of the new drive

e) Copy the files from the System/Library/Extensions directory in the zip to /System/Library/Extensions on the new drive

f) make sure you can set permissions on the new drive by opening a terminal and typing 'sudo mount -uo owners /PATH_TO_NEW_DRIVE'

g) In a terminal type 'sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /PATH_TO_NEW_DRIVE/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /PATH_TO_NEW_DRIVE/System/Library/Extensions/'

h) Put the dsdt.aml file in the root of the new drive

i) Modify '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' and modify 'Kernel Flags' to add 'arch=i386' (to insure the kernel only starts in 32bit mode)

Finally edit '/Extra/smbios.plist' and set SMmaximalclock, SMexternalclock, SMmemspeed and SMmemtype for your specific machine. This is VERY important as the info is used by the OS. Use google to find the settings.

So what works:

Pretty much everything including sleep using an Nvidia NV140 Graphics (my biggest concern)

Screen rotation, resolution changing, monitor detection etc..

Dual screens

Sound (You will need to install the other voodooHDA files including voodoohelper for the control panel to work correctly, again use google. As mentioned before the internal mic will work if you go into the VoodooHDA panel and set a recording level, it defaults to zero)

Laptop keyboard

Laptop touchpad

Laptop 'nipple' mouse

Battery meter (however when charging the status only seems to update when the battery is fully charged, discharging status seems fine)

Internal Ethernet

Wireless if you have an airport supported card (just buy one on ebay)

What does not work:

DVI via a docking station

Shutdown & reboots hang at the point where the laptop should switch off

Internal audio output is distorted after 'sleep' - it still plays but is barely recognisable

DVD playback of copy protected DVD's using the Apple player (use another player like VLC)

64bit kernel - could be me as I have some third-party 32bit only drivers

Not 100% sure all the power saving technologies work correctly - its hard to tell

The bulk of this is the same as the first post, I'm just using a few less KEXTs plus the Chameleon RC3 bootloader. Note nullcpupowermanagement.kext stopped sleep mode working for me.

BTW, I prefix my kexts with an underscore to keep them together in directory listings and so I know what I added to the system. It also stops system updates overwriting them.

D830_Kexts.zip

Does your audio work after sleep, if so what KEXT are you using?

Other than that I'm with you, just need to get the shutdown issue fixed. I did notice that when I started originally with a minimalist kext install, shutdown was working. I believe it nkush.kext broke it.

Unfortunately there are no error messages, no logs to see what's going wrong and I don't have another mac to run an external debugger on the system.

My D630 is working 10.6.1. The one thing I can't get to work is the onboard Firewire. Anyone got this working?

Firewire on my D830 works fine out of the box with a scanner and digital camera.

Are you trying to use a camcorder - if so, check your software is set to use PAL or NTSC as appropriate.

Hello All

ok So I have a Dell 630 with Quadro NVS 135M. I was able to install and boot (retail snow leopard image) Chameleon RC3. The only problem is the graphics are lagging and slow. I tried NATIT and NVKUSH both result in the same issue. I can adjust the res fine but the overall performance is slow. It looks like I dont have QE/CI enabled. (in 10.6 there is no way to get that in profile.)

I tested removing NVKUSH and NATIT and using EFI gfx string and that did not work.

Anyone else having the same issue?

thanks

Hello All

ok So I have a Dell 630 with Quadro NVS 135M. I was able to install and boot (retail snow leopard image) Chameleon RC3. The only problem is the graphics are lagging and slow. I tried NATIT and NVKUSH both result in the same issue. I can adjust the res fine but the overall performance is slow. It looks like I dont have QE/CI enabled. (in 10.6 there is no way to get that in profile.)

I tested removing NVKUSH and NATIT and using EFI gfx string and that did not work.

Anyone else having the same issue?

thanks

I also have the same config and facing random issues with this installation. I did get it to work once with hardware but not sure how.

BTW is anybody facing keyboard detection problems ? If so how to resolve those ?