Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530

eclypse

154 posts in this topic

To solve the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out error, it involves making a new DSDT with a newer form of HPET recongnition that should work with most motherboards, and my Inspiron 530. Here's how to do that.

I'm not liable for anything problems you may have, DISCLAIMER. Make sure you don't mix up the aml with dsl, it can get quite confusing. It may seem daunting, 25 terminal commmands, but i wanted each step to be simple and quick, so smaller steps equal more.

-------------------------------------------

1. Download DSDT Patcher attached to this post.

2. Extract the Folder to the Desktop.

3. Open Terminal. Run the following commands.

4. cd ~/Desktop

5. cd DSDT_Patcher

6. ./DSDT\ Patcher -newHPET

7. Following the instructions on the screen.

8. At 'Which OS to emulate?' respond Darwin. (0)

9. If you get no errors, you should be ok.

10. In terminal, run:

11. mv dsdt.aml Tools

12. cd Tools

13. ./iasl -d dsdt.aml

14. mv dsdt.dsl ~/Desktop

15. There should now be a dsdt.dsl file on your desktop. Open it with TextEdit.

16. Find the Device (RTC) section, it should look something like this:

Device (RTC)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))

Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x04, // Length

)

17. Where it says // Length, change what's behind it to 0x02. For example, mine would now be:

Device (RTC)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))

Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

)

18. Save it. Close TextEdit.

19. Run the following in the SAME terminal:

20. mv ~/Desktop/dsdt.dsl ./

21. rm -r dsdt.aml

22. ./iasl -ta dsdt.dsl

23. mv dsdt.aml ~/Desktop

24. Copy the new dsdt.aml file on the Desktop to /E, and remove NullCPUPowerManagement from /E/E on the OSX install drive.

25. Congratulations! Reboot into the Installer in verbose mode to see if it's fixed!

If you see any error please notify me. I'm sorry for length, I only had a certain time frame to work on it. Efficiency was not my goal in the short time, but getting the point across.

DSDT_Patcher.zip

This looks like the standard HPET fix that you get on a few of these DSDT tools. Probably the best is DSDTSE, which lists the fix as follows:

HPET FIX

This fix allows us to load the driver Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext, and in that way have the option to use the native speedstep available in osx

This is the HPET code from a Mac:

Device (HPET)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))

Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IRQNoFlags ()

{0}

IRQNoFlags ()

{8}

Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,

0xFED00000, // Address Base

0x00000400, // Address Length

_Y09)

})

This is the HPET code from a PC:

Device (HPET)

{

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))

{

Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,

_Y0F)

})

We only have to add the "Irqnoflags" and that would fix it.

IRQNoFlags ()

{0}

IRQNoFlags ()

{8}

After adding "Irqnoflags", here is what it would look like on your DSDT:

Device (HPET)

{

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))

{

IRQNoFlags ()

{0}

IRQNoFlags ()

{8}

Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,

_Y0F)

})

Which might be easier to add in if you already have a working DSDT file with other fixes and don't want to jettison it. Nice to know that it works on the 530, thanks, weeze.

To solve the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out error, it involves making a new DSDT with a newer form of HPET recongnition that should work with most motherboards, and my Inspiron 530. Here's how to do that.

I'm not liable for anything problems you may have, DISCLAIMER. Make sure you don't mix up the aml with dsl, it can get quite confusing. It may seem daunting, 25 terminal commmands, but i wanted each step to be simple and quick, so smaller steps equal more.

This looks like the standard HPET fix that you get on a few of these DSDT tools. Probably the best is DSDTSE, which lists the fix as follows:

Which might be easier to add in if you already have a working DSDT file with other fixes and don't want to jettison it. Nice to know that it works on the 530, thanks, weeze.

I wasn't sure it was the same fix, and hadn't used other tools before, so my bad! What is the difference to using other tools?

I wasn't sure it was the same fix, and hadn't used other tools before, so my bad! What is the difference to using other tools?

No bad, it's all good. DSDTSE is a little bit more polished than the others and probably the best for beginners who want to learn rather than just push a few buttons. It has its own gui editor with search functions, thus providing an all in one dsdt building solution. It has accumulated all of the known fixes and hacks, not all of which are applicable to the Dell. Its nicest feature is that it will back up your aml and dsl files so if something goes wrong, you can always revert.

Why not try it and see?

First, thanks guys for all the hard work you have put in for making this a breeze for me :hysterical:, Two things: I can't seem to get sleep or shutdown working right. Sleep it never wakes up and shutdown just causes a reboot. My thought was the bios flag its set to s3 as of now, any thoughts? Also, weeze I have been trying to get rid of the long boot using your method and then dsdtse. My dsdt has both HPET fix with the IRQ Flags and the RTC fix of changing length from 4 to 2 and when I uninstall the nullcpupower kext, Kernal panic on boot.

Thanks in advance,

Koushka

the shutdown problem is the same for me. It hasn't really bothered me. In leopard, sleep worked with S1, but with the HPET fix in SL, theres no difference. With HPET fix:

1. Sleep causes a halt, just blank screen, nothing else.

2. Reboot causes smooth reboot (like, no re initiation)

3. Shutdown causes rough reboot, as in complete halt, then immediate re power on.

Without OpenHaltRestart (I think!), all three do the same as 1 above. I believe a HPET fix will solve the problem. A mix of the regular HPET and fixed? I mean the only thing we need in the HPET fix are the CPU identifiers (according to my rather novice kernel panic dissection). Maybe? I just did another reinstall, and so I'll try a new DSDT.

the shutdown problem is the same for me. It hasn't really bothered me. In leopard, sleep worked with S1, but with the HPET fix in SL, theres no difference. With HPET fix:

1. Sleep causes a halt, just blank screen, nothing else.

2. Reboot causes smooth reboot (like, no re initiation)

3. Shutdown causes rough reboot, as in complete halt, then immediate re power on.

Without OpenHaltRestart (I think!), all three do the same as 1 above. I believe a HPET fix will solve the problem. A mix of the regular HPET and fixed? I mean the only thing we need in the HPET fix are the CPU identifiers (according to my rather novice kernel panic dissection). Maybe? I just did another reinstall, and so I'll try a new DSDT.

Sleep never worked for me in Leopard. Even after trying all of the bios states. It would sleep but not awake. On the other hand, shutdown and restart both work for me. Mine is a quadcore Q6600 board.

weeze, that is exactly what I have going on. Ok I just didn't know if I had missed something or not. Here is my HPET from the dsdt that I have:

Device (HPET)

{

Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IRQNoFlags ()

{0}

IRQNoFlags ()

{8}

Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,

)

})

I noticed that too with the KP's after uninstalling the nullpower kext, so you think adding some CPU Identifiers might work, well, if I knew where to put them I would try, but I feel I am more novice then you :( Good luck!

Splonk what are you using to get the shutdown to work where it powers off, what are your bios settings as well for the shutdown, running a Q6600 here too.

Just wanted to say thanks to Weeze for his guide on Page 2, that worked fine for me, all I had to do afterward was to load the kexts for network and VoodooHDA for Audio. System booted up to my monitor's native res which is 1920x1200 (Dell 24") which was great but it was slow so I used OSX86Tools to add the EFI strings for my GTS 250 card. Restart and shutdown works fine (never tried sleep but it's OK as I never used sleep on any of my desktop except for my laptop).

I've done the 10.6.1 update without any issues, installed Office 2008 and iLife/iWork 09 as well.

Now, my main issue is that, it seems like the system is unable to "control" my video card fan speed, it's looks like it's always set on slowest or default no matter what I run, I have dual booting Windows 7 Ultimate on another hard drive and when I run World of Warcraft from it (with max settings for both Win7 and SL), within 10 seconds or so the fan on the video card would kick up to about 60-70%, not when running with SL, it stays on default (30% I think). I just don't want to "prematurely" burn out my video card if I can.

Is anyone running any mid range card out there and can you let me know your video card fan speed behavior?

Cheers and thanks again for the wonderful guide!

System Spec: Dell Inspiron 530, E8500 CPU, EVGA GTS 250, 4GB RAM, 2 (1TB) drive, 550W PS

I've got the graphics , sound and everything else working following the guide on page 2, but can't seem to get the ethernet to work.

The intel83566MM.kext is not working for my integrated network card. I have an old card I pulled from an HP that I used under leopard out of the box. That card doesn't work either now under snow leopard.

System profiler shows I have 2 ethernet cards plugged in under the Hardware>PCI Cards tab (type:ethernet controller, driver installed: No). Under Hardware>Ethernet Cards it says nothing is installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone succesfully installed on a Dell Inspiron 530 using retail DVD method?

I followed the guide posted here:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

However, during the install of Snow Leopard, Disk Utility is unable to see any of my SATA drives even though the bootloader recognized them. I've switched BIOS from IDE to RAID, and neither option resolve this.

Do I need a kext? If so, which one? And where do I install it, onto the Install image inside S/L/E or in the Extra folder?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well eclypse

I think This Is the Most Pure Istallation for Snow give it a try

You will just need a Little Work to do ... and Here we ARE :

1.BIOS : ACHI (Main) ,

ACPI ACHI Support : Enable (Power) Most Basic Thiings in the BIOS (I think already you know them)

2.Burn the Boot 132 For Snow (you must Have already another 10.5 to Burn the CD)

The Link :http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/boot-132-for-snow-leopard/ (it is the FIRST HERE.)

Boot 132 cd contains Chameleon RC3 Extra folder ect...

I think Your Problem Is Some SATA_PATA Kexts Like AppleintelPIIATA,kext (Thats For New Motherboards)

So If you Can Find The CORRECT SATA_PATA Kext for Snow (DONT USE FROM 10.5 Doesnt work) then :

You Have 2 Solutions already

a) Put that Kext Into Your EXTRA Folder At Your ROOT (I Think already you Have)

OR Do it with my Way

b)Before you Burn Boot 132 open the iso and put in EVERY extra folder that (SATA_PATA) kext

Burn the iso

RESTART

when boot the cd Eject

Put Snow Press F5 (Refresh)

Boot With Snow

It's a little Confused ANYWAY

The Thing is That you need the Right kext (SATA PATA)

Idont know if there is yet

Just Search a little for Snow Kext

Thats all i can HELP :)

Keep TRYING !!!

After comparing the HPET finx and regular code, the only difference is IRQ's, so HPET wouldn't solve anything. The only other thing I can think of is a modified OpenHaltRestart.kext, however I don't have xCode set up nor do I know ObjectiveC or any hardware development. However from what i know about DSDT and osx86/64 just a simple "switch" could do the trick.

Splonk: I have a Core 2 Duo, so I know we have different boards, but not sure which. How can you tell?

Koshka: As long as you followed my DSDT patching guide on page 4 you should have the same HPET as anyone else running a Insprion 530. I tottally froget whether the HPET fix adds the IRQ or removes it. However, if you didn't follow the guide, it's rather tedious in the terminal and can be applied easily through DSDT Patcher GUI and selecting New HPET Option. If you want any custom patches too just decompile and add.

imolared: This thread suggests the SMC is the problem. Some googling may result, but off the top of my head I don't know, and I don't have that problem. However, that started a year ago and maybe they were using injectors. Also, FakeSMC wasn't around then either, so..

actionperformed: the kext provided is only for the built in ethernet. If anything, adding it when trying to use a PCI ethernet will do more harm then good. Remove the kext and see if you get anything. If not, google the model of the card followed my osx86, insanelymac, or infinitemac. That usually turns up something.

Splonk: I have a Core 2 Duo, so I know we have different boards, but not sure which. How can you tell?

Mine is the 0FM586 revision. Just use any random system info software to save you opening up your case to look at the motherboard. Sisoft Sandra Lite will do.

I updated mine to 10.6.2 yesterday shortly after I read about it on Lifehacker. Update went fine but on reboot I got a kernel panic that had something to do with sleepenabler. So I booted from an external drive into a 10.6.0 installation. Then I did a google search and found the sleepenabler for 10.6.2 on this forum. Downloaded and replaced the old one in my E/E folder on the internal HD. Rebooted into 10.6.2 without any issues after that.

n00b here,

so i followed the guide on page two. let me just say that I don't really understand the "extra folder" and "DSDT" and their purpose but i followed all the directions and booted into SnowLeopard like in step 10.

10. On finish/reboot, you might have the cmos problem (I did). Fix everything back to how it was before, and boot from the USB again, this time in Chameleon select the newly installed Snow Leopard Partition.

the problem i am having is that i can only get the ethernet kext to work.

this is what i was running in 10.5.6:

ethernet: Intel82566MM.kext (same as in 10.5.6)

sound: from this link here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1095448 (no longer works in 10.6)

video: titan.kext (geforce 6200 128mb, no longer works in 10.6)

wireless card: RT2860 chipset (ralink, no longer works, i found a post that says it works in 32bit mode but i don't know how to switch from 32, 64 bit)

what is kext is everyone using for sound?

wireless card: RT2860 chipset (ralink, no longer works, i found a post that says it works in 32bit mode but i don't know how to switch from 32, 64 bit)

what is kext is everyone using for sound?

In order to change to 32bit mode, you need to get Universal kexts (32+64bit) instead of the 64bit only kexts you are using. You can get them from this alternative guide, if I remember rightly. Check the drivers section of this forum for the newer SATA drivers so that all your SATA ports work. To boot into 32 bit mode, add this to your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386<string>

If you use mattisz' dsdt.aml in the link given, you should get sound to work. He managed to patch it better than I did.

In order to change to 32bit mode, you need to get Universal kexts (32+64bit) instead of the 64bit only kexts you are using. You can get them from this alternative guide, if I remember rightly. Check the drivers section of this forum for the newer SATA drivers so that all your SATA ports work. To boot into 32 bit mode, add this to your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386<string>

If you use mattisz' dsdt.aml in the link given, you should get sound to work. He managed to patch it better than I did.

thanks for the reply

i ended up going with the "alternative guide" and i now have sound and ethernet. i think i can go without wireless for now so i'll see if ralink updates their driver support for 10.6

im not worried about SATA drive support as im only running a primary HDD and SL is actually on an external 500gb drive.

meanwhile, what i really need now is a new video card. i know our systems our stuck on pci express x16 (non 2.0) but i am having a really difficult time picking out a card.

can someone advise me on a card, i just want something that is fast enough to be my htpc, and under $100

thanks in advance!

Hello

I followed this thread and have successfully created a install of Snow Leo / Windows 7 x64 / Windows XP (MANY THANKS!). I do have one major issue and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

I am using chameleon 2 RC3 by Dr. Hurt to boot. All 3 OS are installed on the same disk. They all boot fine. But Windows 7 becomes unstable using the boot loader. Shutdown and Restarts are not usually sucessful and sleep does not work. Eventually programs will start locking up if I leave Windows 7 up for a few days. If I boot Winidows 7 without Chameleon it works perfectly.

Any ideas? I have found a few other threads like this one detailing similar results.

I followed mattiz's guide, and many others, but none worked. With mattiz's guide, I seem to be able to boot into SL, as I can hear the welcome messages, but its stuck at verbose mode.

Im using ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, I know it has some issues, but does it mean I cant even boot into SL?

Any help would be appreciated :)

ok so i wanted to summarize my install incase someone stumbled into this thread.

i followed mattisz's guide http://www.mattisz.com/hacks/snow-leopard-inspiron-530

system booted up and ethernet and sound were working immediately. THANKS MATTISZ!

updated to 10.6.2. had no problems at all.

for video i have an PNY 9400 GT 1GB. used osxtools and added a custom string since it was not on one of the drop downs. QE/CI works as i can play chess and activate a screen saver. (one problem is that i cannot change resolution or i will get a black screen)

things i cannot figure out myself:

1) shutdown= restart for me on my computer

2) SATA problems still. even when I tried to download the kexts in our driver's section here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

are this the right one for our system?

edit: fixed.

Thanks for the link! Installing the new IOATAFamily.kext does work!!!

1) you have to download the following file (from that thread's OP) IOATAFamily.kext

2) Open your /Extra/Extensions folder and remove AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. I just moved it up a directory to the /Extra folder.

3) Drag the new IOATAFamily.kext to the /Extra/Extensions folder.

4) Run Kext Utility. (Download it if you don't already have it).

Reboot

i had to delete AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and it finally worked. thanks annunaki!

3) ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) timed out

used DSDT patcher GUI and still have this problem

edit: fixed with the manual terminal commands on page 4.

if anyone can chime in it would be great.

SATA problems still. even when I tried to download the kexts in our driver's section here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

are this the right one for our system?

if anyone can chime in it would be great.

Thanks for the link! Installing the new IOATAFamily.kext does work!!!

1) you have to download the following file (from that thread's OP) IOATAFamily.kext

2) Open your /Extra/Extensions folder and remove AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext. I just moved it up a directory to the /Extra folder.

3) Drag the new IOATAFamily.kext to the /Extra/Extensions folder.

4) Run Kext Utility. (Download it if you don't already have it).

Reboot

-------

ADDING NTFS R/W ACCESS IN SNOW LEOPARD 64 BIT

After you get access to all your SATA drives by the method above, you may want R/W access to a drive formatted in NTFS. Snow Leopard 64-bit doesn't let you do this by default. Installing NTFS-3G and MacFuse is no help either. So, after searching around, I found the solution...and it does work!

Original link

First, uninstall NTFS-3G/Paragon if installed.

Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

Type "diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name" and copy the Volume UUID (bunch of numbers).

Backup /etc/fstab if you have it, shouldn't be there in a default install.

Type "sudo nano /etc/fstab".

Type in "UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw" or "LABEL=volume_name none ntfs rw" (if you don't have UUID for the disk).

Repeat for other NTFS partitions.

Save the file (ctrl-x then y) and restart your system.

After reboot, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works in both 32 and 64-bit kernels. Support is quite good and fast, it even recognizes file attributes such as hidden files.

ok, so one thing i noticed was that i could not update itunes to 9.02. i had to completely uninstall it and reinstall itunes so it would update. just thought i'd throw that in here.

last problem here:

does everyone have shutdown/restart working on their system? 10.6.2

once i get this working i plan on making this pc my HTPC and getting the magic mouse and bluetooth keyboard.