Snow Leopard on Inspiron 530

eclypse

154 posts in this topic

What are people using for graphics under 10.6.2?

I can upgrade with software update to 10.6.2, but when I install EFIstudio, I get kernel panics upon boot. EFIstudio works for me under 10.6.1. I'm using a Nvidia 7300GS 256mb.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross posted from mattisz's blog.

Hello, all. i have a Dell Inspiron 530 I successfully installed 10.6 following these instructions, updated to 10.6.2 without problems following this guide. When I transfer my applications over from a Timemachine backup I get a KP...This was only an application transfer from a 10.6.2 machine, only the applications, no settings, no user. Thought it would be safe (famous last words), would like to get it up and running again without reinstalling, etc. Any help appreciated. Error message transcribed below.

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernal_task

Mac OS version:

not yet set

Kernal version 10.2.9: Tue Nov 3 10:35:19 PST 2009; root:xnu-1386.2.11 ~release_x86_64

venderid: 0x8086 deviceid: 0x10c0.

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.applegenericpcata - not found and kextd not available in early boot

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.applehdacontroller - not found and kextd not available in early boot

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.applehdacontroller - not found and kextd not available in early boot

System model name iMac8,1

System uptime in nanoseconds, yada yada

What are people using for graphics under 10.6.2?

I can upgrade with software update to 10.6.2, but when I install EFIstudio, I get kernel panics upon boot. EFIstudio works for me under 10.6.1. I'm using a Nvidia 7300GS 256mb.

i used osxtools and added a custom efi string. try that.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the recognition. That guide took me about an hour to write and about 8 of trial and error to actually get it installed on my computer. I appreciate the props (sincerity) considering that's the first guide I've ever written and it actually worked for someone! I hope others use this guide because I have a retail Snow Leopard Dell Inspiron 530 running almost perfectly (no sleep but I don't use sleep anyway because I use my Dell as a server). Thanks again!

-Mattisz

Nice work on the guide. I've been trying to get a working SL install on my external drive before an internal install, but still no luck. Following your guide, however, it appears that SL is booting fine since I can hear the jingle from the welcome screen through my headphones, but my screen is still stuck at the verbose boot. I'm guessing this is because my graphics card isn't supported by your method, it's the ATI HD2600XT. My 530 also sports the Q6600 quad core, but wouldn't seem to be the problem here. Do you have any ideas about enabling graphics? I think that's the only remaining hurdle. Any help would be much appreciated :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning on upgrading to 10.6. Couple of questions before I attempt to do it:

1) Sleep - does it work

2) Multiple SATA - I have 3 hard drives and 1 DVD-R drives. I am hoping all of them work in SL.

Can anyone point me to easy guide that I can follow. I am running 10.5.6 iDeneb install right now with no issues on my Dell 530.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Everyone

I've trying to install Retail Snow L,

in a Dell 530 that i bought 3 years ago

i tried DVD and USB method using Empire EFI with no luck :)

Im able to see the empire efi screen and choose the USB or DVD and ... that's it?

dont know what else to do i manage to install ipc os x last year but now i want to upgrade to Snow any help?

Also I Used this How To Guide:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

:(

Also I check this topic

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...3983&st=120 but no help

Help Please! anyone

my specs are:

Dell 530

Chipset Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset, ICH9R

4 GB Ram

Intel Core2Quad Q6600

Ati Radeon HD2600tx

2 Sata Hdd 320GB Western Digital with

5 OS installed and working just perfect using mbr (EasyBCD)

1 Hdd (Vista, Ubuntu, XP)

2 Hdd (iPC OS X, Win 7)

bios version 1.0.16

• 3 weeks later...

seems like you last couple of posters didnt read the entire thread.

start here:

http://www.mattisz.com/hacks/snow-leopard-inspiron-530

use IOATAFamily.kext to see all your drives

personally i do not use sleep so i cannot respond to your question on that

shutdown/restart works but only if i do not have any usb devices connected besides keyboard/mouse (ie. if i have an external hdd or usbcard reader connected, then when i go to shutdown it will restart)

10.6.3 update works

itunes wasn't able to update on my computer. had to fully uninstall it using apples guide on completely removing itunes step by step then install itunes afterwards. i still have this problem as a new itunes is out and i cannot update without fully uninstalling it again.

read the entire thread!

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, especially to weeze and mattisz. These are my first attempts at a hackintosh. My main obstacle was the graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD4670 1GB. I think someone else had the same model mentioned earlier. I first tried weeze's instructions on page 2, but with limited success due to the confounding factor of the graphics card, but mostly due to my general incompetence.

So then I tried mattisz' guide but with a few modifications and with some further instructions concerning updating to 10.6.3 and getting the graphics to work.

1. Not quite sure if this matters, but prior to installing anything, I unplugged all unnecessary peripherals and disconnected my Windows drive, and connected a separate blank drive to SATA0. SATA1 remained blank and the CD drive was SATA4 or SATA5. The monitor was also attached via DVI. No need to mess around with RAID settings, just keep it in default IDE mode as others said.

2.Used iATKOS v7, made two partitions (don't need a Windows one) and installed Leopard on the second partition with the following options in customization (thanks to this guide suggested by mattisz): OHR, Intel SATA, Intel Gigabit (Intel82566MM for network), AppleHDA for audio and ntfs. I didn't need the nvkush (or equivalent) as the guide suggested because I don't have an nVIDIA card. Left all other settings unchanged from default.

3. Booted into Leopard partition, in safe mode (-x), otherwise would see garbled display. Inputted info, etc. then updated into 10.5.8, but I don't know if this is necessary.

4. Followed steps 4 to 9 of mattisz' guide with a retail 10.6 dmg.

5. Instead of using his Snow Leopard.zip, I used an updated version I found through his forums, which can be found here: A Chance of Snow at 5:30. It's essentially the same, except that there is no boot file present, also an updated Chameleon, etc. Thank you to amzor for uploading it. I just ignored step 13 and proceeded with steps 14 -19.

6. Followed steps 20 - 30, but whenever it says to boot verbose (-v), I had to also boot into safe mode (-x). I was able to boot into Snow Leopard, but after updating to 10.6.3 I had some problems:

6a. Boot would hang at AppleHDAController, so I had to boot into the Leopard partition again in order to remove the AppleHDA.kext and VoodooHDA.kext from the S/L/E directory of the Snow Leopard partition and replaced it with a newer ALC888 HD Audio kext and used Ktext utility to repair permissions, etc.

6b. Boot would hang at "Still waiting for root device", found out that it was the SATA controller that needed updating. I used an updated IOATAFamily.kext and that seemed to fix it.

6c. Booted into Snow Leopard again, but it would hang at "DSMOS has arrived." Found out that certain kexts for graphics caused it. Back to Leopard partition, removed ATI4600Controller.kext and both x1000 and x2000 kexts. Ktext utility again to repair.

(In retrospect, I could have combined steps 6a-c together)

7. Finally able to boot into Snow Leopard 10.6.3, though still in safe mode (-x). For the graphics issue, I ran the Beta Universal 46xx install package and rebooted. I was finally able to boot into 10.6.3 normally, not in safe mode and without garbled display.

My problem now is that, although the 46xx is finally recognized, the resolution is stuck at 1024x768 and that is the only resolution possible right now. The monitor's native resolution is 1600x900. As I said, it is connected via DVI and I haven't tried VGA. I'm still researching how to resolve this issue. If anyone has any info your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Leuca, you beat me to the punch. I'm going to create a new thread re: the Inspiron 530 in a bit, consolidating the information in this one, since it took me a weekend of absolute hell to make this install work. I too started from Atkos, and am now using a mostly functional 10.6.3 install of Snow Leopard. (I need to get sound working, and I don't think I'll ever get display right since I'm using onboard video.) Thanks for your link of the sound kext, that's next on my list.

Re: your video issue, I haven't read anything of use yet--if I do, I'll absolutely let you know.

• 7 months later...

I have a PNY 8400GS card and I am trying to install Snow Leopard on a Dell Inspiron 530. What EFI string will I need to get it to work correctly?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

to get AHCI Also known as RAID in this Dell mobo.. inject ESB2 device id 2681 in dsdt. then set bios to RAID.

replace BOTH SAT0 AND SAT1 WITH THIS CODE

Device (SATA)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
               OperationRegion (PCI, PCI_Config, 0x40, 0x20)
               Field (PCI, DWordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                   ITM0,   16, 
                   ITM1,   16, 
                   SIT0,   4, 
                   SIT1,   4, 
                           Offset (0x08), 
                   UDC0,   2, 
                   UDC1,   2, 
                           Offset (0x0A), 
                   UDT0,   8, 
                   UDT1,   8, 
                           Offset (0x14), 
                   ICF0,   2, 
                   ICF1,   2, 
                       ,   6, 
                   WPPE,   1, 
                       ,   1, 
                   FAS0,   2, 
                   FAS1,   2
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }
// ENDS HERE
           Device (SBUS)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0003)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x04)
                       {
                           "name", 
                           "pci8086,3a30", 
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x30, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

OperationRegion (PBAS, PCI_Config, 0x20, 0x02)
               Field (PBAS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                   BAS0,   16
               }

Method (SMBB, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   And (BAS0, 0xFFFE, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

for windows.. install ahci drivers for ich9.

for sleep to work the _OS line for "windows 2001" or the 2006 needs to be changed to "Darwin"

also if u have a cheap wanabe 8400 GS devce id 10c3 forget it..!! (turbocache and audio chip)

get a 9500 gt. or 8600 gt or 9800gt or 250gs or 260gt or..

• 5 months later...

for sleep to work the _OS line for "windows 2001" or the 2006 needs to be changed to "Darwin"

also if u have a cheap wanabe 8400 GS devce id 10c3 forget it..!! (turbocache and audio chip)

get a 9500 gt. or 8600 gt or 9800gt or 250gs or 260gt or..

I am interested where you edit that to get sleep to work.

I am on a vostro 200 slim with a retail install of 10.6.6 upgraded to 10.6.8. and I cannot get sleep to work.

I have tried s1 and s2

I have 10.6.8 sleepenabler.kext and it doesnt work

I have nullcpupowermanagement.kext and it doesnt help

I hit sleep and nothing happens when I move the mouse again audio blips and everything works as normal.

I am planning on using an asus geforce 8400 gs 512mb which is in the mail. It was hard finding a slim form factor card that people have had success with.

So I guess I will come back to the issue of sleep after I have that installed and working.

Thanks for the quick reply and the help.