Snow Leopard Bugs.

14 posts in this topic

Its pretty sad to say, but preview on Leopard was bad in saving multiple files. If you saved one file you were unable to save all the other files you just edited. For example if you edited 100 files and saved the last file, you will have to close and restart all those files again. Now its fixed but it was replaced with a nastier bug. Having downloaded 10 picts, you highligh 10 picts and open them, only 1 will open, do that step again still one, if you edit and saved 1 of them then 2 of 10 will open, if you edit and saved 5 of them then only 6 pictures will open. Opening 1 picture (click /open) at a time will work, but who wants to click 10 times to view 10 pictures, or say you downloaded 100 pictures, you`d have to click 100 times to view each pict, just to see which one is worth keeping.

Another bug is in Automator, works almost fine in Leopard but in Snow Leopard its worther. You are unable to rename files if you have multiple images open (error 1700). Automator worked best on tiger and below. Leopard had problems renaming files in the continuation form, Tiger continued its renaming where it left off. 1,2,3, then 4,5,6 for example, snow still has problems with continuation renaming with another bug, renaming on images.

Summary

1. Preview bug on opening multiple files which were downloaded of the internet.

2. Automator continue renaming was never fixed since Leopard.

3. Automator renaming on images results in failure.

4. Preview and saving pictures were fixed on Snow Leo.

5. With Quicktime X you are no longer able to edit movie files.

6. Unable to install Quicktime 7, says system is not compatible.

How can something be sooooo overlooked especially with preview, don`t apple download picture and open them with preview. I downloaded about 20 or so 3D stereo (crosseyed version) pictures, and I had to open them one at a time, instead of at the same time. I`d rather have them not fix preview save bug then replacing it with something that is so important.

I always edited my avi files to mov so I can play them in iTunes and front row. What do they expect us to do now? Can't drop avi file in iTunes. And I always set the resolution so they play full screen in front row and not in a box mode or something like that.

I wonder how many more bugs were added. And why was the save bug in Leopard never fixed? Apple knew about it for a long time. Maybe these bugs will be fixed when 10.7 comes out!!!

Sometimes just knowing how software works, already helps!

You can add multiple pics in Preview! When selecting multiple images, ensure the Sidebar is open to enable navigation or use the UP/DOWN arrows in the Menubar to navigate!

If images are individually selected several instances of Preview are opened each one acting with it's own editing and save function. However the closing of Preview through the Menu command, invokes the option to review all changes and then allowing to save each individual images!

If images are added to a single instance of Preview and edited, then saving changes allows for the selection(All by default) of images to be saved

SticMAC

Here is for you to test yourself, here is a link.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/298729..._1d2c9886a1.jpg

Download the pict 2x, open them. only 1 picts shows, open them again then 2 picts show. Download the picture again, 2 will be in 1 window and 1 will be in a different window. Wait a few minutes and then open them again all be in 1 window. Download the pict again and open them, 3 picts in 1 window and 1 picts in another window, now you see the problem?

If you donwload the pict and then duplicate them same thing happends, I donwload the pict, duplicated them opened both, only 1 pict showed. Downloaded 1, duplicated 2x, only 1 pict showed up. Open them up again, 2 opened, open them up again then all 3 showed up, 2 in 1 window and 1 in the other, wait a min, open them up again then all 3 in 1 window.

So if you have 5 picts you will have to open and close and open them 6 times for them to show up in 1 window.

***Test your self, download (or drag and drop) the pict and duplicate them till you have 5, and tell how many times you have to open and close till you have all 5 iMac picts in one window.***

P.S. no, found this pict on the internet, its not mine.

I guess its not always the same, Downloaded 5 picts and then opened them, all 5 opened in 1 window, but then I quit and opened them again, only 2 picts opened. Quit and opened them again, 2 picts in 1 windows, 1 picts in 1 windows, gave up on the other picts that didn't show, got tired of opening and quitting, never got all 5 in one window again.

Another bug found.

If you replace the battery in your mouse, you need another mouse to reconnect the connection to your mouse. Otherwise you need to restart the computer. That's dump, never happened in 10.5.

I'm having trouble downloading files with Snow Leopard. Safari will not complete any downloads, but Firefox seems to have no trouble.

I've called AppleCare, and they are clueless.

do you have speed download installed? if yes, then try uninstalling using the official uninstaller and re-install!

I downloaded your pic 7 times with 7 different names. If I click on each pic separately it opens a separate instance of Preview for each pic.

If I mark all 7 and click open it open all 7 but only shows one, until I either use the ARROW UP/DOWN to scroll between them, or open the Sidebar to see each pic loaded individually!

This goes the same for 6pics, 5 pics, 4 pics, ..........

I have a Dell Bluetooth mouse and it pairs automatically even if one replaces the battery during a session, this also goes for my Kensington Bluetooth! Both the mouses use the standard 00000 to pair but it is not needed to retype, My Dell Bluetooth is recongnised from the moment I installed Snow, without having to pair it first!

My Microsoft Wireless mouse has to be paired again if I take out the battery, but this is done by syncing the two with the buttons provided on each item, MacOS then just picks it as a normal mouse!

Also your criticism of QuickTime Player:

"I always edited my avi files to mov so I can play them in iTunes and front row. What do they expect us to do now? Can't drop avi file in iTunes. And I always set the resolution so they play full screen in front row and not in a box mode or something like that."

Is completely unfounded: it still converts to iTunes, still trims, saves in .mov mode(just unhide the extension) and just why cant you watch AVI's in iTunes?(pics included)

Maybe it is time to look for your troubles elsewhere, the problem could be between the chair you're sitting on and the keyboard your typing on...?

SticMAC

Here is for you to test yourself, here is a link.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/298729..._1d2c9886a1.jpg

bla.bla, bla,bla,blablabla....

Yeah, I seen that, but that is a feature I never use, I only change the container and not the codecs used inside the container, for reasons of losing quality and just changing the container is faster then re-encoding the whole movie, I used to do that, but I was unhappy with the speed of re-encoding and the unsharp mp4 quality. OK, Found out how to save it in .mov format using the shift apple s key without converting the movie but is there a way to change its viewing resolution? It was the Apple J key on Leopard.

You can't watch avi in itunes since you are unable to drag and drop avi movies into itunes, just mp4 types, mov etc. If it wasn't for you, I would of never found out that you can save it as a movie container.

And with them picts when I open 5 pict I only have 2 open, so using the arrow keys don't work for me, since the comp says I only have 2 picts open.

And this is all a erase and install, don't like speed download since its not from apple, used it once. I didn't see much different from safari normal download and speedy download, both downloaded as maximum speed.

P.S. Mouse and keyboard are apple products. If anyone knows how to change the viewing resolution in QTX, please post, make sure you don't have to convert the movie in the progress, I still like to keep the original pixel size.

Thanks for your time and effort, David.

I was unable to duplicate that, had exactly the same apps in the folder, even renamed them exactly as you, but not luck. Was this an erase and install or an upgrade of 10.6. Just curious. I tried both for my bugs, still the same, with the erase and install I am now able to keep the window size and position of my utilities folder.

Hmm, for some reason my post didn't post...

I'm not sure if I fully understand you issue, but I think it is a setting issue for you.

Go into your preferences pane and under General change the setting "When opening files:" to "Open all files in one window"

This worked well for me. I've opened several files from several folders as well as selected multiple files at a time and it opened all of the pictures in one window.

Hope this solves your issues. Personally I'm loving the Snow. I was ripping CD's yesterday before I upgraded, then I upgraded and continued to rip CD's and I swear it was faster after I installed Snow.

After using Windows since 3.1 before upgrading to Leopard I'm friggin' ecstatic about the lack of issues that OSX gives me.

How to send files over bluetooth with SnowLeopard  ???

With Leopard I used to press: command-shift-B

Now this do not works.

How to restore this shortkey ???

go to system preferences->keyboard->keyboard shortcuts->services and check the box next to "send file to bluetooth device".

• 2 months later...

1. Preview bug on opening multiple files which were downloaded of the internet.

Was fixed since the update to 10.6.2

Automator changing picture types on images still don't work. (changing png to jpg etc), but I'm glad Preview now works 100%, took too much time just to open 1 pict at a time.

• 3 months later...