How to driver X1600(71c2) in Snow Leopard?

hanyang

19 posts in this topic

I think the Radeon x1xx series is not supported on SL. At least, I can't get QE/CI on my X1650 Pro, only resolution change. If no one makes an updated driver, then the best thing to do is get a new and compatible card or stay in Leo.

tell me how you get the resolution change ... it is important to test something (you can PM me)

thanks

yes even that will be much appreciated.

and oh please if someone could come out with kexts working with SL that will be great cuz I won't have to fork out some $$ to upgrade from X1600 Pro to a compatible card...

i have ati x1600 mobility and I removed ati1600controller.kext, atisupport.kext, atiframebuffer.kext, and IONDRVsupport.kext. Then I added my working ATINDRV.kext, ATIRNDRV.kext, and IONDRVSupport.kext from Leopard. Using the same efi string I used in leopard I have qe/ci and resolution change.

@hanyang - I'm not sure if natit works in snow leopard. You might have to switch to a newer injector or efi string.

@chico_stang - Did you need to edit your atiradeonx1000.kext or other kexts in leopard? If atiradeon1000.kext isn't loading because it doesn't have your card's id included you won't get qe/ci.

I'm having problems with the mobility version of the x1600 (71c5). I've tried everything I can think of but for some reason the graphics just won't initialize. The screen stays in text mode when the intro video is playing (i can hear the music) or stays with the spinning circle when not booting verbose.

i have ati x1600 mobility and I removed ati1600controller.kext, atisupport.kext, atiframebuffer.kext, and IONDRVsupport.kext. Then I added my working ATINDRV.kext, ATIRNDRV.kext, and IONDRVSupport.kext from Leopard. Using the same efi string I used in leopard I have qe/ci and resolution change.

@hanyang - I'm not sure if natit works in snow leopard. You might have to switch to a newer injector or efi string.

@chico_stang - Did you need to edit your atiradeonx1000.kext or other kexts in leopard? If atiradeon1000.kext isn't loading because it doesn't have your card's id included you won't get qe/ci.

Well, I would like to try your kexts but I think they won't work, cause you have ATI X1600 Mobility, and I have ATI X1650 Pro, so while the same family, they're not technically the same.

And to answer your question, no, I did not edit anything. Just copy/paste my kexts from Leo into SL, repair permissions and done. However, I do not have rotation (no QE/CI I guess) but have all resolutions. I ran XBench and saw all the graphic tests correctly, except for OpenGL (black screen).

Like others have said, it would be nice if the card were supported in SL. Even if it runs at the same speed of Leo.

efi string

This is the efi string for my ati x1600 mobility, devid 71c5. My laptop's edid is included in the string, so unless you have an asus w3j the string probably won't work for you.

How did you generate your EFI string for this card? I was able to get my EDID for it in Windows, but I have yet to successfully get an EFI string as EFI Studio doesn't have a plist for my card (ATI Radeon x1600 Mobility, device id 71C4). I got QE/CI by adding 0x71C41002 to Info.plist in ATIRadeonX1000.kext (I didn't have to change anything in ATI1600Controller.kext even though it references 71C5) but nothing I've tried gets me resolution changing. I also have a bug where if play a video full screen the mouse is distorted and I can't see it enough to use it. Yikes. Any help is appreciated.

How did you generate your EFI string for this card?

You'll need to first find an older guide on using ATIinject.kext or Natit.kext and figure out what card info you need to put into the kext's info.plist. The EDID for your card is the most important part. EDID is a block of data unique to your monitor make and model that contains information about all of your cards supported resolutions. Because it is unique, you can not use a device string that was created by someone else. There was a package on the site a while back that had all the tools needed and a pre-configured plist for notebook x1600 cards.

Once you have created a plist test it out by actually running it in Natit/ATIinject.

If it works, run the plist file through the old terminal version of EFI Studio (instructions are on the site).

Open the resulting hex file with textedit.app and copy and paste it all into the DeviceProperties section of com.Apple.boot.plist

I expect these instructions to become outdated soon as the new Chameleon supports some cool new features like custom video bios which has the potential to fix a lot of problems with laptop displays and older cards.

Thanks asstastic - let me describe what I did.

As I said, on the 10.5.8 side, I use ATIinject, and my video card works correctly with QE/CI and resolution changing. Back in the early OSX86 days, I populated my EDID into Info.plist (not Info2.plist) in the DFP1,EDID and LVDS,EDID fields which got everything working properly. So I ripped out all of the data in that old plist and fed it to EFI Studio which gave me an EFI string - nice. However nothing much as changed after I added the device properties to my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file - System Profiler now knows a little more aboot my video card but I still don't have resolution changing. I'll paste the results below. Now it knows the card is a Radeon X1600 and a few more stats but it still calls the type a GPU rather than a Display like on the 10.5 side (also pasted below). One thing I've noticed, this card is a 71C4 but the (working) ATIinject calls it a 71C5 - I copied it verbatim since it works on the Leopard side but maybe I need to change it to 71C4 even though that is not what ATIinject is doing?

===10.6.0===

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

===10.5.8===

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

efi string

This is the efi string for my ati x1600 mobility, devid 71c5. My laptop's edid is included in the string, so unless you have an asus w3j the string probably won't work for you.

Hi llauqsd,

can you please tell me how can I make EFI string for my 1600 mobility 71c5?

Right now I have to use ATIinject with very old ATINDRV and IONDRVSupport (from 10.4.5) to get reschange and QE/CI, but I'd like to try if EFI string will help to use it with new ATI* kext's.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

fingerr.

• 11 months later...