MSI X-SLIM 340

Jack-Black

116 posts in this topic

In this topic we share our experience about installation and tuning of OS X. I share my experience about installing.

Specification

Intel Core 2 Solo Processor

Intel GS45 + ICH9M-SFF

2GB max of DDR2 667/800

TFT-LCD Display, 16:9 widescreen1366x768

2.5 in. 320GB SATA

1.3 megapixel webcam

2-in1 Card Reader (SD/SDHC/MMC

Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN and Modem Module

Built-in 802.11b/g/n WLAN Card, Bluetooth is optional

Ports: 1 D-Sub; 2 USB 2.0; 1 Mic-in; 1 Headphone Out; 1 HDMI Por; 1 LANTried 10.5.2, 10.5.4,

Installed 10.5.6, 10.5.7, 10.5.8 builds from iAtkos, IPC, Leo4All, iDeneb

Installed without any problem and worked very fast after logon without any kernel panics.

Problems:

1: 5-6 minutes booting (due to absence of VGA and wi-fi driver I suppose) stuck on IOKit timeout error. Till this moment and after fast boot without any problems.

can't identify devices

2: No wi-fi and vga driver. 1024x768 resolution.

I tried linux boot manager fix and x3100 modified kext (with these kexts blue screen on logon and nothing happens) for VGA nothing help.

Sound, Lan, usb, bluetooth working perfectly as keyboard and touchpad.

battery and sound kexts from Voodoo Project available in last builds.

Tried to find a solution for vga and wi-fi. Spent about week on this (read a lot of topics). And at the end install Windows 7 till the following drivers will be made

I can live without VGA and wi-fi but 5-6 minutes boot it's borring. For info. Have a big experience in installing hackintosh on PC, notebooks, netbooks.

Ok. Let's starting to solve following problems to finally get a fully working notebook.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello. I propose to open topic about installation on this nootebook (Mac Air Clone). I share my experience about installing.

Specification

Intel GS45 + ICH9M-SFF

2GB max of DDR2 667/800

2.5 in. 320GB SATA

1.3 megapixel webcam

Ports: 1 D-Sub; 2 USB 2.0; 1 Mic-in; 1 Headphone Out; 1 HDMI Por; 1 LANTried 10.5.2, 10.5.4,

Installed without any problem and worked very fast after logon without any kernel panics.

Problems:

1: 5-6 minutes booting (due to absence of VGA and wi-fi driver I suppose) stuck on IOKit timeout error. Till this moment and after fast boot without any problems.

can't identify devices

I tried linux boot manager fix and x3100 modified kext (with these kexts blue screen on logon and nothing happens) for VGA nothing help.

Tried to find a solution for vga and wi-fi. Spent about week on this (read a lot of topics). And at the end install Windows 7 till the following drivers will be made

I can live without VGA and wi-fi but 5-6 minutes boot it's borring. For info. Have a big experience in installing hackintosh on PC, notebooks, netbooks.

Ok. Let's starting to solve following problems to finally get a fully working notebook.

Hey! I found this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173338 . I hope that it can solve your display problem.

The other one is for wifi. Please check it out.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t119392.html

Please post your result after you try the above solution. Good Luck!

Thanks man but this display patch enables only display true resolution no Quartz support that leads to non video playback. Other words i can't play on my laptop xvid and divx videos. About wireless i don't want to use additional dongles for wi-fi you can agree with me. But should agree that I begin to love now windows 7 much better then Mac OS X despite that I have Macbook and fully working hackintosh on my PC. Very stable, awesome and easy GUI. None lags and freezes during 2 months.

if it works like this

(it's my hackintosh on PC)

i'll be very happy and install it. Wainting for proper drivers.

Ok. Anyway, I started to install iPC 10.5.6 to my MSI X340. I found that only ethernet is working. No wifi, no bluetooth, no vga. When I installed the vga patch above,the resolution can change to 1366*786. But the mouse pointer disappeared. i.e You can only know it works when you click something.

It boots up within 1 min. Quite good.

Oh good that smbd have x340 too. ) can you say me after installing mac without any drivers did you have a long boot about few minutes or a situation changed when you installed VGA patch?

I don't have a long boot. The video patch works. The mouse pointer problem is solved. The only problem is wifi.

Pls see my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b5Ip4duPts

I don't have a long boot. The video patch works. The mouse pointer problem is solved. The only problem is wifi.

Pls see my video.

Ok now only wi-fi should be done. And what about video playback with Quicktime divx and xvid codecs? Playing good because I know that accelertion isn't supported yet? And what about bluetooth? Oh and if not will be difficult for you tell me which patches have been selected before installing Mac. If you do video with video playback files it'll be good )

P.S. Nice video and good work! :)

Hello. I propose to open topic about installation on this nootebook (Mac Air Clone). I share my experience about installing.

Specification

Intel GS45 + ICH9M-SFF

2GB max of DDR2 667/800

2.5 in. 320GB SATA

1.3 megapixel webcam

Problems:

can't identify devices

Hi! I've installed iPC 10.5.6 No sound and no bluetooth. What is your config on iPC? Pls reply. Many thx!

Hi! I've installed iPC 10.5.6 No sound and no bluetooth. What is your config on iPC? Pls reply. Many thx!

Now i'm using Win7. I've installed Leopard with clean install without any drivers. Then installed VoodooHDA (sound), VoodooPs2 controller (http://www.insanelymac.com/voodoops2controller-two-finger-scrolling-support-for-alps-touchpad/) for two fingers scroll like in Macbook, voodoo battery (battery manager) and vga patch.

Only wi-fi 5100 AGN not working. After I backuped Leo and return to Win7 untill wi-fi driver can be released.

Pls see my video.

What patches or kernels you used installing Mac. I tried all builds including ipc 10.5.6 as you and stuck about 5 minutes on same place (marked red on image) and then booting. Maybe you smth disable in bios?

post-360602-1255101420_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm interested on purchasing a MSI X-Slim, about 550 euros here in France, about 60% cheaper than a macbook air. I don't care so much about the design, I want a big screen and the lower weight possible. So 13" to 1,3 Kg seems to be a good compromise.

So, wifi chipset is the Intel 5100 at 52 of estimated completion on the link Jack-Black gave?

Is there a way to be sure this driver will work (like reverse engineering is done and just still need implementation)?

I unfortunately do need wifi, if it doesn't work OS X on this machine is worthless for me...

Thank you for all the information you have already compiled here, to know that wifi is the only incompatibility left makes it exciting to wait.

For those that already have a MSI X340, are you happy with this hardware (battery, screen, general quality)? Would you recommend it?

[edit]Replying to myself: yes, the wifi of MSI X340 is a Intel 5100 and good news, the driver is near to be usable

Hi, I'm interested on purchasing a MSI X-Slim, about 550 euros here in France, about 60% cheaper than a macbook air. I don't care so much about the design, I want a big screen and the lower weight possible. So 13" to 1,3 Kg seems to be a good compromise.

So, wifi chipset is the Intel 5100 at 52 of estimated completion on the link Jack-Black gave?

Is there a way to be sure this driver will work (like reverse engineering is done and just still need implementation)?

I unfortunately do need wifi, if it doesn't work OS X on this machine is worthless for me...

Thank you for all the information you have already compiled here, to know that wifi is the only incompatibility left makes it exciting to wait.

For those that already have a MSI X340, are you happy with this hardware (battery, screen, general quality)? Would you recommend it?

[edit]Replying to myself: yes, the wifi of MSI X340 is a Intel 5100 and good news, the driver is near to be usable

Okey.

I can say a couple of words about this.

1. Installing 10.5.x from IPC, iDeneb, iAtkos leeds to one bad thing it stuck during boot on 4 minutes and then continue to boot and work fine. In this topic "bt_fan" post a video with quick boot. I don't know why my stuck despite on the same model and specs. Tried to removed kexts and no results or kernel panic. Maybe European and Chinese bios version has different options.

2. I tried to install Snow Leo. Result is awesome - 20 sec booting and work stable. But has one problem see below*.

And finally what we have on this moment:

IPC, iDeneb, iAtkos - working bluetooth, network (lan), audio, battery, usb, touchpad, keyboard, video* (full resolution without QE/EI - no acceleration) another words only wifi not working (not testing experimental kext)

Snow Leopard - working bluetooth, network (lan), audio, battery, usb, touchpad, keyboard, video with 1024x768 (video patch not working ) + wifi not working (not testing experimental kext)

Conclusions: video with patch (native resolution) or without patch can only play ordinary avi, mkv, mpeg, mp4 movies if you play 720p or higher it begins to lagging. If wi-fi experemental driver works we almost got fully working system with all drivers.

Now decide it worth to attract you attention

• 2 weeks later...
how is it going with the wifi driver?

because the link is down, does anyone still have the link

Site disappeared. But iwidarvin is trying to make it work. No results only kernel panic on boot.

x4500 driver no ACCELERATION just native resolution. I hope progress will be in next 6 months or later. But till now Windows 7