WUSB54G WORKING! No joke, come in to find the solution...

kramer2k

66 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have tryed to install wusb54g V4 and i did it :)

I followed some hints and tips in this topic (wich is a very good one :rolleyes: ) and finally after 5 days I get it working.

The driver altered by me is atached to this post.

Ill copy here the begining of my info.plist of original rt2500usb wireless driver from manufacturer suport site.

On file info.plist I add the bold section, and save the file.

Beggining of file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>RT2500USBWirelessDriver</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT2500</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.1.3.0</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>Lens Wang</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.1.3</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Wireless-G USB Network Adapter</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>4</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>13</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5041</integer>

</dict>

then in terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

repair permissions

reboot

It wont fail :P

If anyone need some help just ask in this post ;)

Best reg everyone, now im going to try to fix HDA sound......

Alvaro Martins

RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip

Can somebody confirm that WPA works for WUSB54G in OSX 10.4.6 ?

Currently I have a WMP54G v4 (rt2500) PCI on my Hackintosh. Although the card is recognized, connection to access point using WPA proves impossible as it keeps on resetting (connect -> disconnect -> connect -> ...)

I'm able to find to find WUSB54G for a moderately cheap price around my area (~30 USD), but I would like some confirmation before committing to the purchase.

Thank you very much!!

Currently I have a WMP54G v4 (rt2500) PCI on my Hackintosh. Although the card is recognized, connection to access point using WPA proves impossible as it keeps on resetting (connect -> disconnect -> connect -> ...)

I'm able to find to find WUSB54G for a moderately cheap price around my area (~30 USD), but I would like some confirmation before committing to the purchase.

Thank you very much!!

Hi Joe Andy,

As u can read in the post before yours, i have installed an wusb54g V4

WUSB54G-250.jpg

My Laptop is a Samsung R65 NP01 with a 3945 abg intel wireless... but this one i cant get it to work.

Right now i only use hackintosh... for work, school, and to play. I have a dual boot with Windows Vista to play some PES 6 and others :D

So, use it :blink:

Best Reg,

Alvaro

Thank you very much!!

I took the plunge and went ahead with buying the WUSB54G today. To answer my own post:

1. Yes, WPA works well, in contrast of WMP54G v4 (rt2500) PCI.

2. There's no easy way to identify the correct revision (v4) or the chipset of the adapter upon buying. Couldn't find any mention of it anywhere, either on the box, manual or in the adapter itself. All I could do was to cross my fingers and prayed that it was the correct one.

Thanks all for the guide!

The V4 is written underneath the removal plate that is underneath, it's slots in and out to allow for easy attachment once the plate is glued.

They only seem to be making V4's these days (even here in Australia) so snap em up while you can. Nice big things, easy to mod. Mine's plugged into an 18dBi Yagi as we speak :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the tips guys, I would have gone that route myself eventually, but until I work out the equiv. of "lspci" (Linux) or manage to restore and dual boot my windows partition, I don't know how to get the device and manufacture codes out of Darwin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but I tried everything (including chown) and it still won't work.. Heres the output of the terminal

$sudo kextload -t RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext

kernel extension RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext has problems:
Authentication failures
{
"File owner/permissions are incorrect" = (
	"/System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext"
	"/System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist"
	"/System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents"
	"/System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/RT2500USBWirelessDriver"
	"/System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS"
)
}
Missing dependencies
{
"com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily" = 
	"No valid version of this dependency can be found"
"com.apple.kpi.libkern" = 
"com.apple.kpi.mach" = "No valid version of this dependency can be found"
"com.apple.kpi.bsd" = "No valid version of this dependency can be found"
"com.apple.kpi.iokit" = "No valid version of this dependency can be found"
"com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily" = 
"com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily" = 
}

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i don't know why, but i just don't seem to understand.

i have no clue what you all mean by terminal, and i have no idea how to get there. it is possible that i may not have it considering i'm using a later version, specifically os 9.2. will this fix work for later macs?

please help. i'm mac stupid. lol

• 4 weeks later...

I am a complete and utter noob at this...I have OSx installed on my Dell Dimension 5100 so far so good (except for sound) my biggest issue is wireless...I have the wusb54g and I installed the ralink drivers but I have no idea how to edit ktexts and stuff like that could someone help me out with a step by step guide.

Please and thanks in advance

Don't cry.U must trust us.just patience.

Don't waste ur time , just follow the guide about Zydas USB chipset that u can find inside the tutorial section

Here the short line --> here

remember to reat the guide and after install the driver.

You will have it easy. :D

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction Flav...I followed the guide...used the Ralink Drivers with the USB Wireless Utility, it picks up my router, connects to it...it looks like everything is fine on that end....but Safari and Adium just dont connect and when I run the network setup assistant...it says it cant connect to the ISP...and then asks for a DHCP :S...I have no idea what that is, nor have I ever needed it.

In my system preferences/network it comes up as Built in ethernet with an amber light on the side. It says Built in Ethernet is active. Built-In Ethernet has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the interntet...What am I doing wrong?

• 2 months later...

Thank you realy much for this solution. It works perfect! I can't believe i have wireless internet on a homebrew mac.

---------

OSX 10.4.8

AMD 3000 64

160 GB sata

768 MB ram on 400 Mhz

Geforce FX5200

ASUS K8N

onboard sound works

onboard ethernet works

linksys usb wusb54g works

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou soo much it's picked up on Leopard but unfortunately the RALINK utility doesn't work with the card yet it is picked up by the system profiler and the network utility.......

I have WEP on my router which I know is useless but is there a way for me to set a WEP key through the console? (I'm new to mac so details will be needed :D )

Or just a straight out fix would be nice.........

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being a noob, but i have no idea how to use these Kext files. I installed 10.4.10 Kalyway and almost everything works i just need to get some internet going on. I downloaded the modified kext that someone posted but now i dont know what to do with it. Do i just put it in the System/Library/Extensions folder and run the terminal commands? Im not a complete noob to this kind of stuff (i've used linux many a time) but i just have no idea what kexts do.

Edit:

NVM, found the tut in The Genius Bar. Im off to try it out.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I successfully installed the driver and after plugging in my WUSB54G (v4) USB WiFi adapter, I was able to configure it using Ralink's configuration tool. So currently, it is connected to my network. But Camino doesn't seem to notice that I'm connected—it can't find any servers. Whenever I attempt to open System Preferences->Network, the Preferences app crashes (this has been happening since I first installed Uphuck 10.9 on my EeePC).

Does anyone know how to allow native Mac OS X applications to access the connection? And/or how to simulate it as an AirPort connection?

• 3 weeks later...

Hans Engle,

Thanks for your input on this problem. I however have a different problem. Once I got through all of the permissions problems, and configuration changes from previous posts in this forum, I was finally successful in getting the RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext to load. There was an earlier post to perfrom a kextload command and that is when I discovered that my permissions were not "just right".

So now in the System Preferences Network application I was able to configure the WUSB45G adapter as en1 and bingo - I was connected. But after a bit of snooping I found out that my adapter was connectiing to an open Linksys router in my area - not my router; the dhcp assigned ip addresses were not from my router.

So I launched the Ralink USBWirelessUtility to configure my adapter. The touble :( is that the application always displays "No Device !!!" and no matter what I try to do I can not get this application to work :huh:

I also found that there should be 4 .Plist files in my ~/Library/Preferences folder but they are not there. They are:

• ~/Library/Preferences/AdvancedProfileSetting.plist

• ~/Library/Preferences/ActiveProfileSetting.plist

• ~/Library/Preferences/Profile.plist

• ~/Library/Preferences/com.Ralink.RaConfig.plist

I wonder if this could be part of my problem :wacko: ?

If you have any ideas or suggestions I certainly would appreciate any input.

Many thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i downloaded Álvaro Martins kext and put it in my extensions folder, i also did the terminal stuff and rebooted.

My adaptor is viewable in system profiler as a USB device, but the ralink utility still says no device. Any idea what i should try next?

EDIT: UPDATE: OK, from a link in another thread, i've got it working ish.

It still shows as no-device, but when i plug it in and run sudo kextload (and so on) it loads the profiler. But still No Device !! showing.

FURTHER UPDATE: Reverting to an older wireless manager, it's loaded the ethernet and appears to be connected. However, it can't connect to the internet for some reason.. -_- Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
If it's Not loaded, type this into terminal

Sudo -s

your password

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext

Hi Kramer,

I followed your instructions and typed that in terminal, but a window popped up telling me that the extension could not be loaded.

This was done on the root account.

TIA for your help. :censored2:

Hi guys,

I have tryed to install wusb54g V4 and i did it :)

I followed some hints and tips in this topic (wich is a very good one :angel: ) and finally after 5 days I get it working.

The driver altered by me is atached to this post.

Ill copy here the begining of my info.plist of original rt2500usb wireless driver from manufacturer suport site.

On file info.plist I add the bold section, and save the file.

Beggining of file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.1.3.0</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>Lens Wang</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.1.3</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Wireless-G USB Network Adapter</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>4</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>13</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5041</integer>

</dict>

then in terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

repair permissions

reboot

It wont fail :angel:

If anyone need some help just ask in this post :rolleyes:

Best reg everyone, now im going to try to fix HDA sound......

Alvaro Martins

Hi Alvaro,

Did what you mentioned, and now it works! :rolleyes:

But now there's a weird problem, everytime I boot into my admin account, I can't start the driver. Instead i have to logout and log in to 'root', manually activate the kext, then log back into my normal admin account. Is there any way to get around this?