Install 10.5.6 on Dell XPS 600 (nforce4 mobo)

treminaor

62 posts in this topic

I did it once with my Dell Mini. The fact that I own two legal Macs is the only reason I was able except for the fact that I just got Leopard on my Dell XPS. So I still could've done it. It would be easier to collect drivers and stuff for Snow Leopard is my guess, because all you need is a USB stick and a retail disc, and I have two 8 GB Medions and a Snow Leopard Upgrade and Retail disc. I have to try, it's too much fun.

I did it once with my Dell Mini. The fact that I own two legal Macs is the only reason I was able except for the fact that I just got Leopard on my Dell XPS. So I still could've done it. It would be easier to collect drivers and stuff for Snow Leopard is my guess, because all you need is a USB stick and a retail disc, and I have two 8 GB Medions and a Snow Leopard Upgrade and Retail disc. I have to try, it's too much fun.

I also own a SL upgrade disc. Lemmie know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the how-to! Got my XPS 600 as a hand-me-down from my in-laws. Seems like a fairly capable machine for it's age. The only major issue I'm having is that I have an older series graphics card in an SLI setup: Geforce 6800. I can boot if I do not install any video kexts, but if I select any during the iPC install or even after, it just hangs. I've tried NVDarwin, NVInject 2.1, NVInject dual 2.0b, Natit, NVEnabler 0.1, and EFI strings, no luck. Didn't know if you had any insight on whether it's worth it to try to get those cards running or just pick up a new card?

Thanks for the how-to! Got my XPS 600 as a hand-me-down from my in-laws. Seems like a fairly capable machine for it's age. The only major issue I'm having is that I have an older series graphics card in an SLI setup: Geforce 6800. I can boot if I do not install any video kexts, but if I select any during the iPC install or even after, it just hangs. I've tried NVDarwin, NVInject 2.1, NVInject dual 2.0b, Natit, NVEnabler 0.1, and EFI strings, no luck. Didn't know if you had any insight on whether it's worth it to try to get those cards running or just pick up a new card?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147981

Hey, it's been a while. As much as I like Leopard I miss Windows because I can't run certain programs even with Darwine. I Googled Gparted and I could only find it for Windows and Linux. Although I know Mac OS X and Linux are both based from Unix I do know they are different. I would like to know exactly what I am supposed to do to boot from my old Windows.

Hey, it's been a while. As much as I like Leopard I miss Windows because I can't run certain programs even with Darwine. I Googled Gparted and I could only find it for Windows and Linux. Although I know Mac OS X and Linux are both based from Unix I do know they are different. I would like to know exactly what I am supposed to do to boot from my old Windows.

You need to get a GParted boot disk (most likely will be a Linux distro such as Ubuntu) to run the program. Its a partition utility. There is plenty of info on Google about fixing a broken (by OSx86) Windows installation with various tools such as Ubuntu.

• 1 month later...

I have an nForce4 board with AMD (M2N4-SLI) that I had 10.6 booting on using Hazard. I had to take that HD for my Main computer as I was getting disk errors. I am currently trying to reproduce what I did but so far my video keeps failing me. If you install with the Legacy kernel, I believe, you can get everything working but audio. Worked pretty well, but I couldn't update. If I get it working again I will post my results, I found this post trying to restore my Leopard install on the same board. For some reason I can't get iDeneb to install, although I was able to get it to install before. I did successfully update my iDeneb Leopard from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 and then 10.5.8 but lost my stability on USB, Carbon Copy Cloner started crashing on my after I updated. I am going to try this guide to see if I can get a rock solid 10.5.6 and just leave it be. Give Hazard a try, it has an option to install the 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 updates, although I never got those to work on this machine. See my sig for my successes.

EDIT I have iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 and Hazard 10.6.2 running very well on this board. I haven't tried any updates yet, need to do some research on the USB issue. This machine runs 10.6.2 well ( I have a 3.1 ghz dual core Athlon and 4 gb ram, the ram was from my Gigabyte machine, it wasn't compatible and a Geforce 8500 video card.) Both installs were done using an external hard drive case and initially installed on my Inspiron Laptop with the drivers for the Asus board. Initial boot after install is done in the Asus machine. I only have an Ide DVD for this pc which is why I installed this way. Search for the Asus A8N install guide, the kexts are identical for this board.

• 3 months later...