Install 10.5.6 on Dell XPS 600 (nforce4 mobo)

treminaor

62 posts in this topic

It took me awhile to get this to work, so I figured I may help some people by documenting the steps I took.

Here are my specs:

Dell XPS 600 Desktop

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz

nForce4 mobo using ONLY SATA. (Screw IDE :D )

Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX x2 (SLI)

Nvidia onboard ALC850 audio (No luck w. my X-FI and VoodooHDA)

Nvidia onboard nForce Ethernet

Maxtor 232 GB SATA HDD

TssTcorp (Samsung) SATA DVD drive.

My system fully works in every way. Power Down, Reboot, Sleep, Internet, Sound, High Resolution everything, etc.

As far as BIOS settings go, since you have a Dell, you already know that the BIOS is a piece of {censored}. It is very limited and doesn't have much to change. Make sure your onboard sound is enabled (disabled by default) and IDE PATA channels 1 and 2 are OFF.

Start with getting iPC 10.5.6 and the AppleNforceATA(TEST) PPF patch. You can get the patch from the attachment to this post. Use PPF-O-Matic to apply it to the ISO before burning at 4x or lower speed.

After you have burned your disc, pop it into your SATA drive and boot from it by hitting F12 and selecting "Onboard/USB DVD Drive" from the menu. At the Darwin prompt, hit F8 and boot with "-v -f". Since we patched this DVD, you should not get a "Still waiting for root device" or "SAM Multimedia Read/Write error ... " message. If you do, make sure you patched correctly and make sure your burn is good. If the problem persists, post here.

After a few minutes you should be in the OSX install program. Go ahead and format using Disk Utility if you haven't already. (Mac OSX Journaled, MBR boot scheme).

Click though the screens until you come up on the Customization screen. Here are the kexts and other misc items you will need to choose:

-iPC 10.5.6 OSx86 Base System

Kernel:

9.5.0 Voodoo

Video:

Nvidia>Nvdarwin 256 mb

Chipset:

AppleNForceATATest (MeDevil) *IMPORTANT*

Audio:

ALCxxx>ALC850 (If your Audio doesn't work, use the package installer attached to this post)

Ethernet:

Don't choose anything. Later we will install the correct version of nForceLAN.

Fixes and Patches:

Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5

Applications:

Kext_Helper b7

Now that we have done that, go ahead and install. Since you are on SATA, this should only take about 6 minutes ( :D )

After Installation has finished, reboot the PC, ensuring that it will boot from "Onboard SATA HD". At the Darwin prompt, hit F8. Type "-v -f" and hit enter.

If all went well, you should be in OSX within about a minute. Go ahead and setup your keyboard and username.

Now that you have successfully installed OSX, go ahead and make sure you can adjust your resolution, hear sounds, mount DMG's, etc. The only thing that shouldn't be working at this point is Ethernet.

Now you need to download this kext. (taken from eno's nForce LAN thread)

[Link is dead] Download the kext attached to this post instead.

Unzip the kext to your desktop.

Go ahead and start up Kext Helper b7 from your applications folder.

Click and drag the nForceLAN.kext from your Desktop into the Kext Helper window. Type your administrator password into the designated box and click EASY INSTALL. Once it is finished, it should tell you to "Cross your fingers and reboot". Before you close the program, tick the Advanced checkbox and take a quick look at the log and ensure that everything went ok. Look for anything like "Operation not permitted" etc. If this occurred, restart the program and try again, ensuring that you typed your password correctly.

Now restart your system with the ethernet cord plugged in. At the Darwin promt, type "-v -f" as usual.

You should see at one point that nForceLAN reports your MAC address and a successful connection. Once booted into Mac OSX, go to System Preferences>Network and it will inform you of a new Ethernet device. Set it up with your network settings and you should be good to go.

Special thanks go to verdant for helping me with this process.

FAQ:

I can boot into OSx86 but my installation of Windows is now broken!

-Install the Chameleon bootloader package installer attached to this post.

iPC_v1.1_PPF.zip

ALC850_Install.zip

Chameleon_2.0_r431.pkg.zip

nForceLAN.kext.zip

Would this work for nForce 630i MOBO?

Same.

Formula & I have been trying to find out how to install OSX on an 630i MOBO for ages, I don't think either of us have found a stable answer but this one looks promising.

I already have the iPC 10.5.6 ISO so I will try in about 20 min after its done burning.

~ Jon

Same.

Formula & I have been trying to find out how to install OSX on an 630i MOBO for ages, I don't think either of us have found a stable answer but this one looks promising.

I already have the iPC 10.5.6 ISO so I will try in about 20 min after its done burning.

~ Jon

Wally let me know how yours goes. Last time I tried iPC 10.5.6 it just restarted upon inserting the disc ...

Thanks

Same.

~ Jon

I have no idea if that will work or not. But remember the PPF patch for your SATA. And you may want to check your device ID's against MeDevil's known device id's for AppleNforceATA. If they arent there, you will have to add them to the kext yourself before anything will work.

Also you may want to refer here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167180 for more info on OSX installation for your mobo.

Hmmmmm well this was an interesting experience......

Loaded it, typed in "-v -f" as the boot flag, Stopped on something like "USBF : 1.365 AppleUSB0HCI" Said something about reloading upon sleep. Then stopped. No, it didn't give me "Still waiting for root device" It just stays there. Left for about 2 - 3 min after the DVD drive stopped spinning and nothin happened so I shut off my PC and came to report here.

~ Jon

I wish I could but I don't have that option in my BIOS. I've looked through everything, its not there....

~ Jon

I feel your pain. You could try turning RAID mode off to solve your problem. (If you have a Dell BIOS like me, then go to SATA 0 ((wherever your HD is)) and change it from RAID to just ON.

• 3 months later...
Same.

~ Jon

I just tried all this on my Dell XPS 630i. It works. The only thing I messed up was the fact i forgot to select all my p2 drivers. SO! I had to reinstall. I haven't gotten all the way into MAC OSX just yet due to that. but when I get the P2 drivers installed I will let you all know how it went. :(

• 1 month later...

I have followed everything to the tea but when booting up into osx for the 1st time, the screen shows blue for a second and then goes to a black screen with just the mouse arrow in the top left corner. The system then becomes unresponsive. Any ideas what is causing this?

Here are my system specs:

Dell XPS 600

Intel Pentium D 940 3.2 Ghz

2 GB DDR2 Memory

Nvidia 7900 GTX 512Mb

nForce Network Controller

Please help!!!

Thanks!

:(

• 1 month later...

Sounds

I have followed everything to the tea but when booting up into osx for the 1st time, the screen shows blue for a second and then goes to a black screen with just the mouse arrow in the top left corner. The system then becomes unresponsive. Any ideas what is causing this?

Here are my system specs:

Dell XPS 600

Intel Pentium D 940 3.2 Ghz

2 GB DDR2 Memory

Nvidia 7900 GTX 512Mb

nForce Network Controller

Please help!!!

Thanks!

:unsure:

Sounds like a graphics driver issue. You have a newer card than I do, so try a different set of nVidia drivers, I suppose

Has anyone tried Snow Leopard on the Dell XPS 600? This tutorial worked for 10.5.6 but now I am curious about installing Snow Leopard.

Personally, I havent bothered to even try. iPC said they weren't going to make a 10.6 disc, and since they were the only ones who had the right combination of patches and drivers, I knew I would just f**k up my installation and have to go back to 10.5.6. Feel free to try a different installation, if you can find one with the right SATA drivers... Post back if you have any luck.

• 2 months later...

I get the Still Waiting for Root Device error. I'm sure that it burned to DVD correctly. Whether I patched it correctly I'm not sure all I did was use PPF-O-Matic and chose the iso file that contained the patched Leopard and chose the iPC_1056_PPF_v1.1.ppf file for the PPF file. Do I have to use it on the regular iso instead of the patched iso because I have the original disc? Please reply, thank you.

I get the Still Waiting for Root Device error. I'm sure that it burned to DVD correctly. Whether I patched it correctly I'm not sure all I did was use PPF-O-Matic and chose the iso file that contained the patched Leopard and chose the iPC_1056_PPF_v1.1.ppf file for the PPF file. Do I have to use it on the regular iso instead of the patched iso because I have the original disc? Please reply, thank you.

First, I will say this: (quoted from 1st post)

Make sure your onboard sound is enabled (disabled by default) and IDE PATA channels 1 and 2 are OFF.

If that doesnt help, then you probably arent using PPF-O-Matic correctly. First, make sure you are patching a completely stock iPC 10.5.6 ISO. ( I would link you to it, but that's not allowed. However, this may be helpful to you: http://pc----wizcomputer.com/ipcosx86/?page_id=96 ((remove the "---" from the URL))). If the ISO you have matches the MD5 of the iPC ISO (yet still gives waiting for root device) then the next thing to blame is the disc. As I said, make sure you burned it at a very slow speed. Despite the fact that I have a 16x drive and 8x discs, I had to burn my disc at 4x speed before I got a good copy. If you have 4x max discs, burn at 2x speed.

And to close, this guide won't help you if your DVD drive and hard drive are on IDE instead of SATA. (You wouldnt need to patch the disc if that was the case)

Let me know if you still have the error. (it's a b*tch to get rid of....)

Okay, yeah I realized I had the wrong iso file for burning to disc so I got it. As for my discs I have new ones and old ones. The old ones only burn at 4X anyway, but I'll do 2X just for safety. As for disabling the PATA I can't boot from the DVD without having one of them enabled. I'll try it once it's all done burning. As for the DVD writer and hard drive, they are both SATA and I know that happens to be a problem with the Dell XPS 600 computers since I've been trying for like the past 6 months. Thanks.

Okay, yeah I realized I had the wrong iso file for burning to disc so I got it. As for my discs I have new ones and old ones. The old ones only burn at 4X anyway, but I'll do 2X just for safety. As for disabling the PATA I can't boot from the DVD without having one of them enabled. I'll try it once it's all done burning. Thanks.

As I said, this guide is for booting from a SATA drive, not a PATA drive. But we'll see what happens. And it is common practice to burn crucial DVD's at half their max burn speed. So a 16x would be burnt at 8x, a 8x would be burnt at 4x, and a 4x would be burnt at 2x.

Still waiting for root device. Before that it said IOATAController device blocking bus.

Fixed the IOATAController device blocking bus. But still waiting for root device.

Ok I typed in the -v -f command and accidentally hit ESC and there's the loading Apple screen that I always see on my Mac when it boots up this never happened. I also see a not allowed sign right over the Apple.

Well I've been trying it with the different patches checking the MD5 as I go and I still get the same error. I did notice that when it gets the still waiting for root device it stops the disc from spinning. I've wasted 4 DVDs and right now I'm downloading PPF3. If you have any suggestions please tell me.

Still waiting for root device. Before that it said IOATAController device blocking bus.

Fixed the IOATAController device blocking bus. But still waiting for root device.

Ok I typed in the -v -f command and accidentally hit ESC and there's the loading Apple screen that I always see on my Mac when it boots up this never happened. I also see a not allowed sign right over the Apple.

The reason you saw the Apple is because the -v flag tells it to boot in "verbose" mode. Verbose mode shows the entire boot process line by line on screen and makes it easy to figure out the error that is preventing you from booting. When you don't specify the -v flag, it boots normally with the Apple logo.

Please post your specs (like I have in my signature. I need to know what is using SATA and what is on PATA as well) and I will assist you further.

I figured out the Apple logo stuff on my own. Currently I have a Dell XPS 600 with 2 GB DDR2 RAM, 3.2 GHz Intel 2 Duo Processor, two SATA hard drives - Hitachi HDS721010KLA 1000 GB (1 TB) and a WDC WD80 0GD-75FLC3 80 GB, 1 DVD Rom - Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701, one CD Rom device - HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8487B, an X-FI sound card, a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX - 1509 MB Approx. Total Memory, and Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-Bit as my OS. I'm not sure about the chipset, but I'll try to find that out.

I figured out the Apple logo stuff on my own. Currently I have a Dell XPS 600 with 2 GB DDR2 RAM, 3.2 GHz Intel 2 Duo Processor, two SATA hard drives - Hitachi HDS721010KLA 1000 GB (1 TB) and a WDC WD80 0GD-75FLC3 80 GB, 1 DVD Rom - Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701, one CD Rom device - HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8487B, an X-FI sound card, a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 - 1509 MB Approx. Total Memory, and Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-Bit as my OS. I'm not sure about the chipset, but I'll try to find that out.

You left out 2 of the 3 most importing things. Your chipset, and whether "CD-Rom device" means IDE/PATA...

I have PATA CD/DVD Roms. Still trying to find the chipset.

I took a look at the Dell website for the chipset drivers and it said nVidia - Driver - Applies to: SMBus. Not sure if that helps

I patched to PPF4 I still got the still waiting for root device error, but I also got some new errors regarding nforce like AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.