Install 10.5.6 on Dell XPS 600 (nforce4 mobo)

treminaor

62 posts in this topic

Same problem for PPF5 and 1.1. I'll leave it for now to see if it gets past the Still waiting for root device

Its never going to go away.

Determining your chipset is crucial to what I instruct you to do next. I think you may have a different one than I do considering your CPU is newer. That CPU is too new to work in my chipset, I think.

So then what do I do, I don't know how to determine my chipset. I'm only 14 and my dad will get PO'd if I open the computer case up.

I think I found it. I looked in the device manager and I see NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management and I see nForce4 HyperTransport Bridge.

Its never going to go away.

Determining your chipset is crucial to what I instruct you to do next. I think you may have a different one than I do considering your CPU is newer. That CPU is too new to work in my chipset, I think.

So yeah I think mine is different from yours I have nForce4 HyperTransport Bridge and in the title of the original post it says nForce4 mobo unless mobo is short for motherboard.

Could it be my video card? Mine is newer than yours and that's the only thing left I can think of.

Yes, mobo is shorthand for motherboard.

Although 14 is a little young to be doing this kind of stuff, I commend you for having a broad enough knowledge to even know about this stuff. (BTW I'm only 17.) This is a very frustrating process and is very time consuming, so keep pressing on. (I spent about a week straight trying to get this thing running on my machine, since nforce motherboards arent very popular or compatible. I was pretty much on my own.) And as far as opening your computer, as long as you take obvious precautions such as unplugging the thing, you should be fine. I was digging around in my computer at age 12. As long as it's your computer and not a family computer, I don't think your dad should care (in my opinion).

Anyway, back on topic:

I think we have the same motherboard. And your graphics card isn't used until later in the boot process, so that isn't the problem (yet). I'll break down the phrase "Still waiting for root device" so that we are on the same page:

The "root device" refers to the device which contains the operating system you are running. In our case, it's your DVD drive. (Once you install OSx86 and boot from the hard drive, the hard drive becomes your root device). Still waiting for root device means that OSx86 isnt able to communicate properly with your DVD drive (which essentially goes to your IDE chipset on the motherboard.) This is because the iPC disc (and every other OSx86 disc in existence) does not have drivers that are capable of completely working with the nForce motherboard. This is where the PPF patch comes in. PPF patches inject files into ISO's. The PPF patch you are applying injects a .kext (thats the OSx86 version of a driver) that is specifically designed to work with nForce chipsets. Without this kext, you would never get past Still Waiting for Root Device.

Now, on to your problem:

I think the problem is because the kext only addresses the SATA part of your chipset. So, you either need to find a OSx86 DVD that has nForce4 IDE AND SATA compatibility (good luck), or buy a SATA DVD drive from NewEgg.com (or any other PC component store) and a SATA cable. They are pretty cheap (The Samsung I have was only $22.99 and its amazing. Consider SATA a major speed upgrade from IDE. Also, IDE is pretty much slowly being phased out, so its a good time to upgrade. SATA cables are under 5 bucks.) So my recommendation is to either buy or borrow a SATA DVD drive.

I think that the DVD rom that I have for my netbooks is a SATA. I was able to use it to install Mac OS X on another computer, but that computer won't boot up the old XP or Mac OS X, and won't boot up DVDs or CDs anymore except for the iPC install. Luckily I found a possible way to fix that otherwise I'd quit right now, it can boot to USB. So I am going to try installing from my portable DVD +-RW DL.

Okay here's what I've been able to figure out, my dad says that my portable drive is an IDE(PATA) which doesn't make sense since I had to use it to install it on another computer's SATA hard drive. I know it didn't detect the IDE hard drive that was in that computer so I know it only has the driver or kext for SATA. Not quite sure what I'm going to do. After I fix the computer Mac OS X screwed up installation on I'll try installing Mac OS X with the portable DVD rom.

I think that the DVD rom that I have for my netbooks is a SATA. I was able to use it to install Mac OS X on another computer, but that computer won't boot up the old XP or Mac OS X, and won't boot up DVDs or CDs anymore except for the iPC install. Luckily I found a possible way to fix that otherwise I'd quit right now, it can boot to USB. So I am going to try installing from my portable DVD +-RW DL.

Okay here's what I've been able to figure out, my dad says that my portable drive is an IDE(PATA) which doesn't make sense since I had to use it to install it on another computer's SATA hard drive. I know it didn't detect the IDE hard drive that was in that computer so I know it only has the driver or kext for SATA. Not quite sure what I'm going to do. After I fix the computer Mac OS X screwed up installation on I'll try installing Mac OS X with the portable DVD rom.

Portable Drives don't really apply to the IDE/SATA issue because they work via USB drivers instead.

And to fix the fact that you can't boot up Windows or Mac OSX, install a bootloader called Chameleon. It is a check-able option in the iPC installation. (Reboot from the DVD, and uncheck everything in the install except for Chameleon. That way it doesnt screw up the installation you already have.)

Forgot, sound doesn't work either, you said X-FI wouldn't work, that's all I have, and the front ports don't work either if that's what your referring to as onboard.

If you enabled onboard, then you have to install the ALC850 kext. That will give you sound via the front and rear ports.

As far as the nForce ethernet kext, I cant help you with downloading it. (Unless it's because you dont have any internet on the OSx86 machine. Get a USB drive and download it from a different computer.)

I seem to remember the ALC850 driver being very difficult to find. If you can't find it, or found one but it doesnt work, let me know and I'll attach the one I found that works to this post.

To joemost:

Don't threadjack. This is a thread for Dell XPS 600's, not Inspiron 530's. Do a forum search for "Install OSx86 Dell Inspiron 530". If there isnt anything relevant here, search Google.

Portable Drives don't really apply to the IDE/SATA issue because they work via USB drivers instead.

And to fix the fact that you can't boot up Windows or Mac OSX, install a bootloader called Chameleon. It is a check-able option in the iPC installation. (Reboot from the DVD, and uncheck everything in the install except for Chameleon. That way it doesnt screw up the installation you already have.)

If you enabled onboard, then you have to install the ALC850 kext. That will give you sound via the front and rear ports.

As far as the nForce ethernet kext, I cant help you with downloading it. (Unless it's because you dont have any internet on the OSx86 machine. Get a USB drive and download it from a different computer.)

I seem to remember the ALC850 driver being very difficult to find. If you can't find it, or found one but it doesnt work, let me know and I'll attach the one I found that works to this post.

Thanks I'll do a search for the audio kext I have two sets of speakers right here because I have my PC and my MAC right next to each other (that doesn't even need speakers) so I can plug it in the front for now. As for the nForce I'll look for a way to install the Internet drivers, the link you have posted is dead, it's not that I don't have Internet which I don't on the hackintosh.

I installed a Chameleon and all it did was install a custom Apple logo.

Thanks I'll do a search for the audio kext I have two sets of speakers right here because I have my PC and my MAC right next to each other (that doesn't even need speakers) so I can plug it in the front for now. As for the nForce I'll look for a way to install the Internet drivers, the link you have posted is dead, it's not that I don't have Internet which I don't on the hackintosh.

I installed a Chameleon and all it did was install a custom Apple logo.

That's because you chose Chameleon w/ Custom Boot Picture. As long as you have the hard drive with OSx86 on it set up to boot first, you should see the Chameleon bootloader. If there is one hard drive with two partitions (One with OSx86 and one with Windows) you have to make sure that OSx86 is at the beginning of the partition scheme and is set as the primary partition. Look up GParted in Google for more info on this.)

EDIT:

I added attachments of all the files you need to the first post.

Thanks, but it's on my first hard drive, first partition and it didn't work. Either way I did get the nForce to work. I'm using my hackintosh right now to talk to you. I found an nForce mkpg that installs a driver or something to use Ethernet. Right now I'm working on the sound and updates.

EDIT:

I added attachments of all the files you need to the first post.

Thanks I installed the audio right now, I won't know if it works until after Software Update is done.

Thanks, but it's on my first hard drive, first partition and it didn't work. Either way I did get the nForce to work. I'm using my hackintosh right now to talk to you. I found an nForce mkpg that installs a driver or something to use Ethernet. Right now I'm working on the sound and updates.

Thanks I installed the audio right now, I won't know if it works until after Software Update is done.

Yeah, that mpkpg is what I used (and attached to the post). Glad to hear you got one of the computers working at least. May I ask what the model computer is that you were successful with?

And regarding the partition stuff, you MUST make sure that its set as the PRIMARY partition. You use a partitioning program such as GParted to do this. Google it.

The Dell XPS 600, that's what this topic was for, unless your referring to the other computer I referenced earlier it was a Dell GX280

Wait, so which one is working...?

You made it sound like the Dell XPS wouldn't boot but you got the GX280 to work...

Oh I'm sorry, I got the Dell XPS 600 to work not the GX280. You said that using a portable DVD Rom would be under USB drivers so I tried it on the Dell XPS and it worked. Sorry for the misconception.

Glad to hear you got it working!

Good luck with the finishing touches (aka drivers) :(

And you mentioned that you used Software Update. Be careful with that. Don't let it run any O/S updates or you will break your OSx86 installation.

I have a problem, the audio driver isn't working I tried the one you referenced it was the same one. I can see a AC97 Audio (PCM) and a AC97 Audio (SPDIF) for outputs now, but I hear no sound out of my speakers I have them plugged into the front port.

I have a problem, the audio driver isn't working I tried the one you referenced it was the same one. I can see a AC97 Audio (PCM) and a AC97 Audio (SPDIF) for outputs now, but I hear no sound out of my speakers I have them plugged into the front port.

Try the rear ports.

Sorry for the stupid question but does it pop off or do I have to use a screw driver to open it. I'm having trouble finding a flat head screw driver.

Never mind I answered that on my own I got it open. It works. Thank you so much.

Sorry for the stupid question but does it pop off or do I have to use a screw driver to open it. I'm having trouble finding a flat head screw driver.

Never mind I answered that on my own I got it open. It works. Thank you so much.

No Problem. Glad you got it up and running :D

Yeah, now I feel like working on Snow Leopard, this is all I have been working on pretty much for the past 6 months. And to think it was all because of my DVD-ROM. The sound driver is a bit buggy though, I have to keep going into preferences, select SPDIF output then back to PCM output. Well at least it works. Thanks again. Runs iLife well, all I can't get to run right is movies with QuickTime, I can't get the sound to work. I got the video.

Yeah, now I feel like working on Snow Leopard, this is all I have been working on pretty much for the past 6 months. And to think it was all because of my DVD-ROM. The sound driver is a bit buggy though, I have to keep going into preferences, select SPDIF output then back to PCM output. Well at least it works. Thanks again. Runs iLife well, all I can't get to run right is movies with QuickTime, I can't get the sound to work. I got the video.

I havent bothered with Snow Leopard (yet). The way I see it is this:

The newer the software gets, the older your hardware gets. nForce 4 mobo's and Intel Pentium D CPU's are pretty much as old as you can get and still run Leopard reasonably well. iPC doesn't (and never will) have a Snow Leopard version of their distro. They are the ONLY distro that I was able to use. (Believe me, I was ready to make my own god damn disc with custom drivers at that point). I just take ease with the thought that my hardware isn't compatible with newer distro's. More power to you if you still try it, however. I may take on the endeavor as well.