Leopard 10.5.7 Vanilla Installation on Asus RAMPAGE II Extreme [GUIDE/TUTORIAL]

Barshad

13 posts in this topic

With major thanks to Pere/Mike for guidance with the DSDT preliminaries.

What you need:

BIOS version 1406 (attached in the file)

Motherboard, CPU, Memory

Working Windows installation on an separate HD (I use Windows Vista) with MacDrive

(trial is sufficient for this guide)

A blank SATA hard drive on JMicron internal SATA Controller (a separate from 6 ports)

An SATA DVD-ROM Drive

iATKOS v7 install disk

A working DSDT.aml for the Asus Rampage II Extreme (included in zip achive).

BIOS Settings:

No BIOS modification is not needed.

Plug your SATA devices into the JMicron not the ICH10 ones.

Installation:

1. Boot the Installer disk. (Press F8 during POST to select the boot menu)

BootMenu.jpg

Press F8 when it asks for Press any key

Boot.jpg

Now type

MACH_970 –v cpus=1

F8.jpg

2. Before installing, run Disk Utility and format your blank HD, GUID partition scheme, MacOS Journaled filesystem.

3. Exit from Disk Utility (And now you are back to Installer).

4. Select the Drive you just formatted for installing Mac OS X Leopard.

5. Now select Customize, uncheck all options.

Now select the following:

Main.jpg

iATKOS v7 Main System

Chameleon v2

Extra Directory

DSDT (This will not work correctly, and may not be necessary. We will insert the working DSDT later.)

Apple Decrypt (or DSMOS. Both work, but choose only one.)

APIC Driver

Remove TyMCE

System.jpg

AHCI

Intel SATA/IDE

JMicron SATA/IDE

Following Network Drivers

Network.jpg

Following for Audio Driver

Audio.jpg

Video drivers, if you are absolutely certain what works with your card. you can install these later.

The Following works for my NVidia 9500 and 9800GTX+

VGA.jpg

DO NOT install OHR. It will kill your installation.

Post Install Actions

6. Select "Continue" and install.

If you try to boot your Mac OSX at this point it will crash. We still need to install the working DSDT.aml into the root directory on your Mac OS X partition.

7. Boot your Windows drive, in which MacDrive 8 has veen installed

8. Enable "View Hidden Files" and "View System Files" under Control Panel/Folder Options in Windows.

9. Browse to the root directory of your Mac OS X drive.

10. If there is a DSDT.aml already present in the root directory, delete it, then copy the one I provided (in the .rar file) to the root directory.

11. Reboot, this time booting the Mac OS X drive. The Chameleon 2 graphic screen will come up. If you press a key, it will allow you to type boot commands, so use -v the first time to see what is happening.

If booting Mac OS X take too much time (about 5-8 minutes) try disabling you Intel SATA ports (Not JMicron).

Mac OS X should start at this point. Do the initial setup, reboot, and enter Mac OS X. Networking should also work correctly with no work.

12. Install whatever video drivers you like, by whatever method. Remember that you are using a vanilla system now.

13. Enjoy your Mac OS X Inatallation, All cores, Sound Card, Network, VGA, USB, HDD working.

Good luck!

barshad

Files you need :

http://rapidshare.com/files/285591307/Ramp...SUS-Extreme.rar

With major thanks to Pere/Mike for guidance with the DSDT preliminaries.

What you need:

BIOS version 1406 (attached in the file)

Motherboard, CPU, Memory

Working Windows installation on an separate HD (I use Windows Vista) with MacDrive

(trial is sufficient for this guide)

A blank SATA hard drive on JMicron internal SATA Controller (a separate from 6 ports)

An SATA DVD-ROM Drive

iATKOS v7 install disk

A working DSDT.aml for the Asus Rampage II Extreme (included in zip achive).

BIOS Settings:

No BIOS modification is not needed.

Hello Barshad!

Thank you VERY MUCH for your short and comprehensive guide! This is AWESOME!

But ...

Have you updated from Apple directly and worked?

If yes, where all your hardware devices working afterward, or you had to reinstall the drivers?

After the initial setup and config, did you reactivated the Intel SATA and worked properly, not just 5-8 minutes to boot?

AND, another BIG BUT ( :( ):

What about an Retail install on that MB?

Did you try it? Will you try it? Are you interested?

If yes at any of those questions, please see and add your valuable knowledge to other fellows owned of Rampage II Extreme here

Thank you in advance for any further contribution you will provide!

• 1 month later...

Hello's & thank you for a great guide!

Have all the items on your checklist (including BIOS 1406) except for the prepped DSDT.aml file.

Please could you re-post, as the zip download link on RapidShare has expired?

Or if anyone else has the zip of files Barshad posted? Please post the 1406 DSDT.aml :(

The other files can be easily sourced:

BIOS 1406 from Asustek's product page: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih (under downloads)

MacDrive (trial): http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

iAtkos v7: from a friendly-neighbourhood torrent near you :wacko:

But the prepared DSDT.aml file is the key item, so, if anyone has it, please post it here? :)

Hi Barshad,

thank you for your indepth installation guide. Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. Maybe you missed something or I got it somehow / somewhere wrong.

Here is in short what I did:

- BIOS (Version 1406) is running with HT and all Cores enabled.

- My SATA HD is connected to the JMicron Controller and running in AHCI Mode

- My DVD drive is (unfortunately) an IDE and is also running on the JMicron Controller. But all OSX86 distros worked (installation / setup) so far without any problems. I think, installing from an SATA or IDE drive is absolutely not important... imho

- I started the installation procedure with the flags "-v mach_970 cpus=1" (without the quotes)

- formated the SATA HD with GUID and Mac Journaled

- At the customization stage: I deselected everything and selected all the parts described in your guide

- After finishing the installation procedure: I started my Windows 7 RTM (running on ICH RAID mode) and copied the DSDT.aml file to the main root of the OSX HD / partition, which was provided by your RAR pack.

(One small side note: I had to switch the HD SATA (Mac drive) to IDE Mode, since my Windows 7 did not recognize the drive at all. After the DSDT.aml copy procedure, I switched the Controller to AHCI again)

And now here is the problem: When my PC boots up Cameleon v2, then I start OSX with the flag "-v" (without the quotes) and after about 10 seconds and may rows of all kind of system message, my PC hangs up at the line:

system uptime in nanoseconds: xxxxxxx

How did you get pass this line? I waited for about 10-15 minutes with no reactions of the system.

Any idea or does anybody else experience this same problem?

I would appreciate help on this matter.

Kind regards

X-eQutR

• 3 months later...
Hi Barshad,

thank you for your indepth installation guide. Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. Maybe you missed something or I got it somehow / somewhere wrong.

Here is in short what I did:

- BIOS (Version 1406) is running with HT and all Cores enabled.

- My SATA HD is connected to the JMicron Controller and running in AHCI Mode

- My DVD drive is (unfortunately) an IDE and is also running on the JMicron Controller. But all OSX86 distros worked (installation / setup) so far without any problems. I think, installing from an SATA or IDE drive is absolutely not important... imho

- I started the installation procedure with the flags "-v mach_970 cpus=1" (without the quotes)

- formated the SATA HD with GUID and Mac Journaled

- At the customization stage: I deselected everything and selected all the parts described in your guide

- After finishing the installation procedure: I started my Windows 7 RTM (running on ICH RAID mode) and copied the DSDT.aml file to the main root of the OSX HD / partition, which was provided by your RAR pack.

(One small side note: I had to switch the HD SATA (Mac drive) to IDE Mode, since my Windows 7 did not recognize the drive at all. After the DSDT.aml copy procedure, I switched the Controller to AHCI again)

And now here is the problem: When my PC boots up Cameleon v2, then I start OSX with the flag "-v" (without the quotes) and after about 10 seconds and may rows of all kind of system message, my PC hangs up at the line:

system uptime in nanoseconds: xxxxxxx

How did you get pass this line? I waited for about 10-15 minutes with no reactions of the system.

Any idea or does anybody else experience this same problem?

I would appreciate help on this matter.

Kind regards

X-eQutR

I finally got around to attempting this install today and was really excited at how straightforward to it was even considering how many other platforms I've put OSX on. However, in the end after following the guide to a tee, I have exactly the same scenario as this. I also cannot see anywhere in the bios where you can turn off the Intel sata controllers only the J-microns. I also noticed AHCI was enable in the revised bios, so I don't know if that had some impact on the install- I tried with it enabled afterwards and the result was the same anyway. Looks like I'm still stuck with R2E install.

• 4 months later...
I finally got around to attempting this install today and was really excited at how straightforward to it was even considering how many other platforms I've put OSX on. However, in the end after following the guide to a tee, I have exactly the same scenario as this. I also cannot see anywhere in the bios where you can turn off the Intel sata controllers only the J-microns. I also noticed AHCI was enable in the revised bios, so I don't know if that had some impact on the install- I tried with it enabled afterwards and the result was the same anyway. Looks like I'm still stuck with R2E install.

Yeah, same thing here. Any ideas? This thread just kind of petered out there huh...

• 4 weeks later...

HI

MY SYSTEM IS

Asus RAMPAGE II Extreme

BIOS 1406

PROCESSOR I7 920

RAM 6 GIGA KINGSTON PASS 2000 XMP

VGA NVIDIA QUADRO 3500 ((( WORKED BEFOR WITH EX MOBO WITN BOTH CI & QE )))

I TRIED TO FLOW THE INSTALLATION IN STRUCTURES BUT I FALIED

I DONT KNOW WHY BUT I GOT ALWAYS A KERNEL PANIC

ANY IDEA . THANKS FOR ADVANCE ......

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...