iDeneb 10.5.7 installation on vmware and natively.

abhilash

59 posts in this topic

Installation in new VMWare-disk 20 GB worked great. Using the disk-utilities I formattet with mac-journalled.

Even System-Update to 10.5.8 ran without any problems.

My two little problems:

- when I change the options in VMWare to a native cd-Rom I get an error - no system.

- no sound

can someone help me on this? thanks

old_wolf

the chameleon bootloader is not supported in vmware. you should use pc efi instead.. if you are not going to install any sound kext, the sound doesnt work...:)

I cannot install iDeben 10.5.7 on my vmware workstation version is 6.5.1 build 126130.

I run the VM, I excecute the '-v' command and after that I get a blue screen with loading animated cursor. The installation is not able to go ahead.

For the installation I used an ext3 logical partition of my physical disk. What's wrong? Why I cannot install os?

Host:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz

3Gb RAM DDR2

Windows XP Pro

you cannot use an ext3 partition for Mac OS X. Its Mandatory to use Mac OS Extended(Journaled)..

I've got an hp dvd drive, its the hp dvd 1040r, when i try to install something from it i get a kernel panic. Any one else experience this? and does anyone know where a proper kext can be found for it?

use "-v" while booting so that you can trace out the error.

First, hello to everyone on the forum from Brazil.

Is there any chance that someone here could help me on a fix for my SATA DVD-RW drive MAT{censored}A DVD-RAM UJ870BJ drive? I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NS120AH, and have been trying to install iDeneb 10.5.7 (great release by the way!) on my laptop.

Unfortunately, I have the infamous GMA 4500M graphics card, and have given up on getting my native resolution, which would be 1280x800. Tried everything and can't get it to work, only 1024x768.

As far as the sound goes, the ALC262 package works perfectly.

Ethernet I really have not tried to fix yet. I have a Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. No big deal, can live without it for now.

My Atheros wireless adapter works just fine on Snow Leopard, but not on Leopard. (Is there a way to port this driver from Snow Leopard to Leopard?)

Now to the problem I really would like to solve: when I used Kalyway 10.5.1 distro, my Mat{censored}a DVD drive was recognized normally during and after installation, and I could easily burn media with it. But with iDeneb (and also iPC) after the installation is complete, it no longer works. It appears on the System Profiler under Serial-ATA devices along with my hard drive, but not under Burning Devices. It is simply useless.

So my question is, should I chose a specific kernel to install iDeneb? Because this has been driving me bananas. I have installed successfully several times, but no luck with the DVD drive. Can someone please help me? I really appreciate it.

Processor family T3200

Processor clock speed 2000 MHz

Processor front side bus 667 MHz

Processor manufacturer Intel®

Motherboard manufacturer Intel®

Chipset Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset

SATA2 hard disk drive (160 GB)

SATA DVD-RW drive

Display resolution: 1280 x 800

Graphic adapter: Mobile Intel® GMA 4500M

Audio system: Realtek ALC262

it all depends on the sata driver included in the distro.. if the DVD drive is not getting detected, install the kext provided in kalyway 10.5.1 .. )

<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />it all depends on the sata driver included in the distro.. if the DVD drive is not getting detected, install the kext provided in kalyway 10.5.1 .. )<br /><br />

<br /><br /><br />

Hi Abhilash, thank you for your prompt reply. Just one question though: So I should look for any SATA kexts on the kalyway distro and install them on iDeneb after setup is finished right? I mean, once I have the system running I would then install such kexts with either OSX86Tools or KextHelper? Muito Obrigado!! (Much Obliged)!!

• 3 months later...
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />it all depends on the sata driver included in the distro.. if the DVD drive is not getting detected, install the kext provided in kalyway 10.5.1 .. )<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Hi Abhilash, thank you for your prompt reply. Just one question though: So I should look for any SATA kexts on the kalyway distro and install them on iDeneb after setup is finished right? I mean, once I have the system running I would then install such kexts with either OSX86Tools or KextHelper? Muito Obrigado!! (Much Obliged)!!

yes, you are perfectly correct..;)

Booting (everytime) with option busratio=20 absolutely makes my VMware Mac OS X install to work !!! :rolleyes:

All I needed, after the initial install, was to boot once with -v -x busratio=20 and finish the GUI part of the install.

Now I boot everytime with busratio=20. Without it, the virtual Mac OS constantly reboots under VMware.

My host:

OS: Windows Vista 64-bit Enterprise, SP2 (and all patches up to date)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3R

RAM: 4 GB (GSkill)

HDD: 250 GB Western Digital, SATA2

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, 256 MB VRAM

DVD: ASUS DRW-2014L1T, ATA

Guest:

Mac OS "distro": iDeneb v.1.4 10.5.6

VMware Workstation 7.0.0, build 203739, 1 month TRIAL

VMware settings:

CPUs: 1

RAM: 1024 MB

Virtual disk: new, 8 GB

Network: bridged

(configured with with static IP under Mac OS after install - somehow was getting a duplicate IP from my router)

Sound: (off - didn't include it)

Notes:

1) install took more than 1.5 hrs (!!!), from physical DVD (mapped in the VM)

2) at the end of the install, it took a lot of time (30+ mins) for some install script to "fix permissions" (went to do so for every single file in /System/Library/Extensions and all its sub-directories - I monitored it in the install log)

3) Video has only one resolution: 1024 x 768

4) VMware will offer you to install FreeBSD tools - don't, they don't work under Mac OS

SysProfiler recognizes correctly the following physical hardware:

- CPU model (nevertheless I use 1 core)

- DVD RW drive

- PCI cards (Ethernet, 2 USB Host Controllers, Audio)

- Power

Problems/crashes:

- connecting USB Flash stick (4 GB, SanDisk, FAT32) to the Host crashed the Mac OS under VMware with kernel panic

- the host and the guest (!!!) freeze when CD/DVD is ejected/inserted in the physical DVD/CD device

Packages chosen during install:

hey just wanted to say that you can actually change the resolution to other things (i have mine running 1280x800)

this is what i did and it worked right away.

* Boot OS X

* Open the TextEdit program in the Applications folder

* With TextEdit, open the file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

* Open the file, and add these two lines (right after the <string>Yes</string> line if you are on Tiger or <string></string> line if you are on Leopard)

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

* Replace the 1280x1024x32 with the resolution you want

* Then, in go to File >> Save As..

* Save the file as com.apple.Boot.plist on the Desktop (make sure the .plist part is there!)

* Navigate the the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder

* Drag your com.apple.Boot.plist file on the Desktop into the folder window

* When a messages appears, click Authenticate and Replace and enter your password

* You're done! Reboot OS X to see the changes

you can disregard my last post since i fixed it

but now im getting this message right on trying to start the virtual machine

it says "Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports virtualization."

this is wierd though because i already have a virtual machine running osx 10.5.5 in vmware..... (for that one i downloaded the virtual machine files instead of installing it myself)

but now im trying to install 10.5.7 from the disk onto a physical drive. and its giving me this error.

do you know what this could be?

EDIT: ONCE AGAIN I FIXED MY OWN PROBLEM

• 2 months later...

Im having the same problem as m4778. Whenever i try to run it a get that message. Any help here?

WAIT i fixed it

But now whenever i run i get a host of different errors.

-v, nothing = infinite startup

busratio=20 -x -v = kernel panic

platform=X86PC busratio=20 -x -v = kernel panic

Once i actually got to the apple (I forget how) but then it gave me an error

All of these are error encountered by others. Can someone help?

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO everyone i have a EVGA 680I core 2 quad 6600 4gb ram xfx 7900gs my question is i'm new on all of this so for rum a virtual machine i have to install any other windows on the pc right ?? them follow the tutorial ????? :) if i have a 500gb hrad drive and make a 2 partition install windows 7 in one can i install leopard on the other partition ????