Linksys WMP600N Dualband PCI WIFI CARD

Donastudillo

16 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I was searching for a pci wifi card that works on the 5ghz band and works on OSX ofcourse.

so i found the Linksys WMP600N dualband pci wifi card with a RALINK2860 chipset that supose to

work on osx. (with these drivers Drivers RALINK2860 ) .

the installation is quite straightforward.

1 install the drivers.

2 reboot.

3 i checked if the RT2860WirelessDriver.kext was in my exentsions folder.

4 shut down again.

5 connected the wifi card and booted up.

when i booted into osx, the Ralink wireless utility already started up. and found my router right away.

I wanted to use the 5ghz band because the 2.4 band in my neighbourhood is quite saturated (25+ routers) and i couldnt use my o so sweet 60mbit internet connection to the fullest. so i switched to 5ghz on my linksys 610n router, and had no problems getting 60mbit out of the connection ;) .

Im a happy man, that just wanted to let you guys know that the linksys wmp600n works quite well under osx 10.5.6

Cheers,

DonAstudillo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is what I was wondering. I also have the Linksys WRT610N and am looking to use the 5GHz band.

I looked at the WMP600N previously and decided against it as the Ralink chipset concerned me. I'd like to use the built-in AirPort appliance and have the stock system AirPort bars in the menu bar over a third-party utility.

How does this card function? Screenshots of the drivers?

Thanks.

This card works perfectly under leopard, here's a screenshot of the wireless utility(i think that's what you mean by a screenshot of the driver).

I should also add that this card is much more stable under leopard(it kept on disconnecting under windows 7(32bit) and was extremely flaky under win7 64bit, havn't tried it on vista/xp though).

ralink.th.jpg

I actually dont find it that much of a pain using the ralink utility rather than the usual airport one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey, i stumbled upon this thread a few months ago when i was shopping around for parts for a new build. i can vouch for the fact that the card and driver both work smoothly in Snow Leopard. the only issues i've found is that the Ralink utility is a bit laggy on response, but once you set a profile for your network it'll connect on its own so you dont need to bother with it after that. also, i cant seem to figure out how to have the utility start minimized, it always pops up on startup no matter the settings.

as for the broken link, i think that Ralink just reorganized their site so the link posted is just no longer valid. i just did a google for Ralink and found the proper driver on their site in the software section. for you lazy people the new link is here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

the 2860, third one down. good luck to any of you that have had problems so far, hope this helps

• 1 month later...
hey, i stumbled upon this thread a few months ago when i was shopping around for parts for a new build. i can vouch for the fact that the card and driver both work smoothly in Snow Leopard.

Thanks for posting your experience here! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate your success on 10.6.2. Are you running in 32bit or 64? I suspect that they don't support the latter yet, which kinda sux.

This card works perfectly under leopard, here's a screenshot of the wireless utility(i think that's what you mean by a screenshot of the driver).

I should also add that this card is much more stable under leopard(it kept on disconnecting under windows 7(32bit) and was extremely flaky under win7 64bit, havn't tried it on vista/xp though).

ralink.th.jpg

I actually dont find it that much of a pain using the ralink utility rather than the usual airport one.

Hi Unprefect, wow thats nice...

Question, was that card has ability to create access point or hotspot?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
wmp600n work only in 32 bit mode for snow leopard at this time !!

i run 10.6.3 in 32 bit mode and it's work great with de wmp600n with ralink kext from ralink site!!

It works amazing in 32 bit, thanks;)

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I've installed this on the 32-bit version, and I do get up the Ralink Wireless Utility. I also get up the connection that I'm supposed to connect to. It says WPA-PSK and TKIP encryption. That is what I got on my Windows based laptop as well. However, after i've inserted the password and get the green icon, it still won't open any websites.

Does it matter if the card was already installed when I got the KEXT procedure? And is there any reason for this NOT to work on 10.6.4?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
How is it that everyone is getting the install to work on Snow Leopard? Everytime I install, I get the following error

error.jpg

Any ideas?

You get that when you drop a kext into your Extensions folder. You just need to fix permissions / clear mkext cache / and boot with the -f flag and you should be fine.

good luck

• 9 months later...

hi;

can't seem to get this card working under 10.7.1.

i'd update to 10.7.2, but i don't have internet access.

if anyone has any ideas, please advise.

thanks

EDIT: turns out you have to boot with the kernel flag "arch=i386" in chameleon. i'd been using "-x32" and getting nowhere. if your utility isn't picking up your card, try that. if it works, add it to com.apple.boot.plist.