OSX on HP ProBook

elfineer

31 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Still nothing? there is no chance to install osx on HP Probook? or only you have problem with this? I want to buy hp probook and install 10.5 or 10.6 on it and i want to know is it possible?

Still nothing? there is no chance to install osx on HP Probook? or only you have problem with this? I want to buy hp probook and install 10.5 or 10.6 on it and i want to know is it possible?

I did not find any sollution, but maybe there is :thumbsup_anim:

Please, write here, if you found anything.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, can someone please tell me if it is possible to install Mac OS X on HP ProBook 4510s?

During the installation I have got the message "Still waiting for root device", but also when I set in BIOS SATA: IDE, it does not work.

Screenshot of my problem: http://tinyurl.com/nbenhm

Specification of ntb: http://tinyurl.com/mtmqfs

Thanks!

Hi,

I purchased a HP Probook 4510s 2 weeks ago and planning to install osx86 10.5.6 or 10.6 on it. Had no time yet to try.

I will let you know how I did it , it should be possible. I already installed osx86 on a toshiba and Asus (AMD) successfully.

• 2 weeks later...
Any news?

Yep..... :)

I installed 10.5.6 on a external HD and could boot from it !

I did not make any changes in the bios and I used IPC 10.5.6 for installation.

Not working yet :

Sound, Lan, Wlan,

Working: SD cardreader

Custom setup:

IPC osx86 10.5.6 base system

KERNELS: no kernel selected

DRIVERS: Legacy Time Mahine Fix, just selected this and I do not know if it is needed

CHIPSET: Intel ICHx Sata drivers

USB DRIVERS: Patched USB Drivers, just selected this and I do not know if it is needed

POWER MANAGEMENT: AppleACIBatteryManager

PS/2 SUPPORT: PS/2 Keyboard Fix, had to install later.Luckily I had a USB keyboard to go on with the setup

APPLICATIONS: Kext Helper b7

This first run shows that it is possible to run 10.5.6 on the probook.

I need to fine tune now and see if there any drivers for sound, lan, wlan and video

Suggestions are always welcom :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yep..... :huh:

I installed 10.5.6 on a external HD and could boot from it !

I did not make any changes in the bios and I used IPC 10.5.6 for installation.

Not working yet :

Sound, Lan, Wlan,

Working: SD cardreader

Custom setup:

IPC osx86 10.5.6 base system

KERNELS: no kernel selected

DRIVERS: Legacy Time Mahine Fix, just selected this and I do not know if it is needed

CHIPSET: Intel ICHx Sata drivers

USB DRIVERS: Patched USB Drivers, just selected this and I do not know if it is needed

POWER MANAGEMENT: AppleACIBatteryManager

PS/2 SUPPORT: PS/2 Keyboard Fix, had to install later.Luckily I had a USB keyboard to go on with the setup

APPLICATIONS: Kext Helper b7

This first run shows that it is possible to run 10.5.6 on the probook.

I need to fine tune now and see if there any drivers for sound, lan, wlan and video

Suggestions are always welcom :o

Have u gotten any further? It was possible for me to get the OS running but no lan what so ever... and i can only run in 1024x768..

HELP!? =)

Have u gotten any further? It was possible for me to get the OS running but no lan what so ever... and i can only run in 1024x768..

HELP!? =)

I cannot boot anymore from my external HD :D HELP

I installed osx on another HD and got the same result cannot boot anymore from USB.

I did test with a bootable USB stick and could boot.......

Something wrong in the BIOS ?

I did install easybcd and can now boot from the external HD and can play with the system.

You can change the resolution by adding two lines in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

add:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1366x768x32</string>

Now you have 1366 by 768 resolution, google for change resolution osx86.

I cannot boot anymore from my external HD :) HELP

I installed osx on another HD and got the same result cannot boot anymore from USB.

I did test with a bootable USB stick and could boot.......

Something wrong in the BIOS ?

I did install easybcd and can now boot from the external HD and can play with the system.

You can change the resolution by adding two lines in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

add:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1366x768x32</string>

Now you have 1366 by 768 resolution, google for change resolution osx86.

Found out why I cannot boot anymore from the external HD from system bootmenu:

Bootloader.....I installed the bootloader from x86tools on the external HD and can boot from the HD. After some playing, erasing-partioning the HD this isssue occurred.

I can continue testing :P

Found out why I cannot boot anymore from the external HD from system bootmenu:

Bootloader.....I installed the bootloader from x86tools on the external HD and can boot from the HD. After some playing, erasing-partioning the HD this isssue occurred.

I can continue testing :)

Sound is working.

You need to install HDAEnabler.kext and VoodooHDA.kext

You can find both here:

http://www.osx86.nl/dload/audio/index.html

have fun :)

• 1 month later...

I see it has been a few weeks since anybody said anything in this thread. but i figure its worth a shot.

I too have an HP Probook, mine is the 4710s. I have successfully gotten the Retail physical install DVD of Snow Leotard to boot up to a certen extent. Im using the Chameleon Install ISO discussed in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227 (the first link). I have not modified the ISO at all..just burned and booted. I got kernel panics when i first tryed it (im assuming thats what the little no-smoking sign thing and the "restart your computer by pressing blah blah.." box means happened, and then i tweaked the BIOS settings and i can get a little further now, but still not to the installer. it stops with a white/gray screen with nothing on it...wich i guess means the video chipset aint supporeted...or something...

Im confused as to what to do next...i have a 10.5.7 or somthing "live DVD" that i can get to install to an external USB HDD...but the "live" method refuses to load correctly on any of the PCs in the house...and i have no access to another working Mac...

My HP Probook specs: Core2Duo 2.53Ghz, 4gigs ram, 500gigHDD, ATI Mobility 3400, card reader, built in webcam etc.

Like i said IDK what to really do next...Im guessing i have to get an EFI string or a kext or whatever else for the video and add said files to the chameleon boot CD...but i dont know how to get said strings/kexts or where to put them on the CD or what to do with them.

My ultimate goal was to have a triple boot setup with W7,Snow Leotard and Kubuntu...

Also my plan was to install SL to a GUID partitioned external HDD, get it working perfectly on that, and then cloning the partition back to the laptop HDD wich is MBR style, and then hoping it would boot fine from that. having chameleon reside in the windows7 system reserved space possibly...

Please let me know what im doing wrong, how to fix it, and what will or wont work...iv been screwing with this for weeks now.. and has anybody else ever gotten this to work before on said HP laptop?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have an HP ProBook 4510s with 4 gigs of ram and a T6670 processor. I've used SnowOSX Universal 3.6 to successfully install Snow Leopard 10.6.2 to an external hard drive ;) Video acceleration seems to be working properly, as well as the rest of the system, except for ethernet and wifi. The system is really fast, so if I can figure out a way of getting either ethernet or wireless working, it'll be perfect for me who just wants to develop on Mac OS X :) I haven't spent much time trying to get ethernet or wireless to work, but in the case that both aren't possible yet, I was wondering if anybody knew of a good cheap ExpressCard/34 that would work with Snow Leopard. The HP probook has an ExpressCard/34 slot, so that would fix my problem and make my system usable enough for my needs. I have an ExpressCard/54 (the larger size of ExpressCard) linksys wireless N card, but it's too big for the ExpressCard size the HP ProBook takes (34mm, not 54mm).

By the way, in my case, I've enabled UEFI in my BIOS prior to trying to install mac os x. I have no idea if it helped, but I can tell that it worked.

I have an HP ProBook 4510s with 4 gigs of ram and a T6670 processor. I've used SnowOSX Universal 3.6 to successfully install Snow Leopard 10.6.2 to an external hard drive :D Video acceleration seems to be working properly, as well as the rest of the system, except for ethernet and wifi. The system is really fast, so if I can figure out a way of getting either ethernet or wireless working, it'll be perfect for me who just wants to develop on Mac OS X :) I haven't spent much time trying to get ethernet or wireless to work, but in the case that both aren't possible yet, I was wondering if anybody knew of a good cheap ExpressCard/34 that would work with Snow Leopard. The HP probook has an ExpressCard/34 slot, so that would fix my problem and make my system usable enough for my needs. I have an ExpressCard/54 (the larger size of ExpressCard) linksys wireless N card, but it's too big for the ExpressCard size the HP ProBook takes (34mm, not 54mm).

By the way, in my case, I've enabled UEFI in my BIOS prior to trying to install mac os x. I have no idea if it helped, but I can tell that it worked.

Hi Awakecoding, why are you booting from an external HD, I mean, is it better than installing on the internal one?

I have Vista, Ubuntu 9.10 on my Probook 4710s, just trying to triple-boot as with my desktop one, which runs OK.

I tried first iPC 10.5.6, no LAN or WLAN, sound OK, boot normal, but suddenly freezes.

Later tried upgrade it to 10.5.7, no more sound, crash at boot, only on -x option. A mess.

Later tried 10.6.0 + 6.1 + 6.2 Upgrade Pack from Hazard, and it never booted.

My only concern is to have some QE/CI working, I know the Mobility 4330 is a Pain I.T.A. to config.

I just wonder if this SnowOSX 3.6 Universal do some change on this.

I heard a tale about this guy having QE on Mobility Radeon 4330 over 10.6.2, but mine doesn't even boot on it.

Thanks

I have installed iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition:

Bios settings:

SATA Device Mode - AHCI

UEFI Boot Mode - Disabled

Burn ideneb iso and boot with params: "-v -x"

During install select following options (all defaults plus these):

Vanilla 9.8.0 kernel

ACPI fix

IOUSBFamiltFix

AHCI SATA/IDE

VoodoHDA

AppleYukon2 - (may be needed for wired ethernet adapter)

Broadcom wifi

SpeedStep

Voodoo Battery Manager

On first boot boot with options "-f -x"

1) create user,etc

2) install osx86 tools http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

3) backup kernel and extentions

4) download and install RadeonHD.kext from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

5) update Info.plist in RadeonHD EnableHardwareCursor - false

6) fix extentions peremisions and clean extention cache with osx86tools

7) reboot

After that I've installed updates from apple, reinstall IOUSBFamily.kext from backup (don't know why usb mouse stop working after update) and fix extentions permisions.

Working:

Video - RadeonHD.kext framebuffer driver - got resolution up to 1366x768x32

Audio, Microphone - VoodooHDA v. 0.2.54

Wifi - Broadcom wifi drivers

Battery - VoodoBattery.kext + ACPI fix - work on battery about two hours

Web cam

Not working:

Wired ethernet - need kext or something else

Close/open notebook - garbage appears on the screen

Tried to install snow leopard - SnowOSX Universal 10.6 GM (10a432) v3.5

But had no luck with wifi/lan

Bios settings:

SATA Device Mode - AHCI

Vanilla 9.8.0 kernel

ACPI fix

IOUSBFamiltFix

AHCI SATA/IDE

VoodoHDA

Broadcom wifi

SpeedStep

Voodoo Battery Manager

1) create user,etc

4) download and install RadeonHD.kext from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

7) reboot

After that I've installed updates from apple, reinstall IOUSBFamily.kext from backup (don't know why usb mouse stop working after update) and fix extentions permisions.

Working:

Audio - VoodooHDA

Web cam

Not working:

Microphone

Hi,

What is your hardware for this config?

Have you enabled QE/CI on the graphic card you have? Which is it?

Cheers.

Hi,

What is your hardware for this config?

Have you enabled QE/CI on the graphic card you have? Which is it?

Cheers.

Hp ProBook 4510s.

It has ATI Radeon Mobility HD4330. I use framebuffer driver, I don't think that it has support for QE/CI.

Still searching the way for it.

lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a40] (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port [8086:2a41] (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:2937] (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 [8086:2938] (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 [8086:2939] (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 [8086:293c] (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:2940] (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:2942] (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 [8086:2944] (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 [8086:2948] (rev 03)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 [8086:294a] (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:2934] (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:2935] (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:2936] (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 [8086:293a] (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller [8086:2919] (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2929] (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc M92 LP [Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series] [1002:9552]
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series] [1002:aa38]
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
86:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device [11ab:436c] (rev 10)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I've recently been offered this laptop in exchange for my Xbox, but I'm not really ready for Windows since I've come to love Snow Leopard on my MSI Wind. Is there any progress on this, and maybe 10.6?

Hey guys, I've recently been offered this laptop in exchange for my Xbox, but I'm not really ready for Windows since I've come to love Snow Leopard on my MSI Wind. Is there any progress on this, and maybe 10.6?

I've installed 10.6.2. But I have issue with wifi card.

It is detected as airport device. But it is marked as turned off.

I've installed 10.6.2. But I have issue with wifi card.

It is detected as airport device. But it is marked as turned off.

Which version of the probook do you have? Is it AMD or Intel? I have a 4510s with Intel and I dont think the Wifi i broadcom I think its intel.

Guess I may have to switch it out for one that works....

Which version of the probook do you have? Is it AMD or Intel? I have a 4510s with Intel and I dont think the Wifi i broadcom I think its intel.

Guess I may have to switch it out for one that works....

I have:

HP ProBook 4510s (VC429EA) (Core 2 Duo T5870 2000 Mhz/15.6"/1366x768/3072Mb/320.0Gb/DVD-RW/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Linux)

Wifi is broadcom for sure. It works in ideneb 10.5.8 with broadcom wifi driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Bios settings:

SATA Device Mode - AHCI

Vanilla 9.8.0 kernel

ACPI fix

IOUSBFamiltFix

AHCI SATA/IDE

VoodoHDA

Broadcom wifi

SpeedStep

Voodoo Battery Manager

1) create user,etc

7) reboot

Working:

Audio, Microphone - VoodooHDA v. 0.2.54

Web cam

Not working:

It's very usefull manual. But I have 4710s and keyboard don't detected. Maybe you know what do I can do to fix it?

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have HP ProBook 4510s. I've installed iDeneb v1.5 and all work fine, except video and Lan.

Now I've installed Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on it. no video/lan/wifi. I need wifi to be work, as I can't work without internet...

please help...