How install MacOSX on GA-ma790xt-ud4p

hk93

42 posts in this topic

I lost a lot of time trying to install MacOS on that motherboard. Well i finally succeded.

I used the iDeneb v1.4 distro.

What i done to get leopard install and work:

- Disabled the IDE controller

- Disabled the GSATA controller

- Set the SB7xx's SATAs ports to AHCI

- attached a SATA hd to the first SATA port (the number one, blue) - THAT's REALLY IMPORTANT: OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE AFTER SETUP

- used an external dvd to install leo

Well with that mods, i finally get into leo's installer. Before, i got always "still waiting for root device"

In the installer, i selected: - Voodoo kernel, seatbelt fix, sb7xx chipset driver, R1000 lan driver.

Well, then install leo. After, at first startup you will get a kernel panic...DAMN!!! why? simple. the kernel reads wrong FSB and molti settings from the mobo. how to fix? again simple. Press F8 on startup then write "fsb=200000000 fsbratio=175" (if your molti is 17.5...if not just change the value). If you don't want to type at each boot this values, just add them in your boot file.

And...what? leo will magically boot...

I hope that will help anyone.

Can I ask you ?

"attached a SATA hd to the first SATA port (the number one, blue) - THAT's REALLY IMPORTANT: OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE AFTER SETUP"

This you did in bios or in PC ? if Bios, where ?

- Greenie

on the mobo. you can see six blue colored sata ports on the right. you need to connect the hd to the first one (the one with number 1).

oh well the only problem i have so far is with the audio laggy...has anyone got how to fix that issue?

Hey, I opened the case and I don't understand to it so I thought Im doing it correctly. Look

CLICK HERE

DSC00544.tmb.pngDSC00552.tmb.png

The red cabel in HD and yellow cable in DVD (I guess both are SATA) I switched (There are connected in the yellow thing) but when I tried it, it didnt work.

so ?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I've managed to install Kalyway 10.5.2 on a GA-ma790xt-ud4p using an 8 gig usb and Kakewalk EFI cd.

Here's my set up:

Phen x4 955

GA-ma790xt-ud4p

8 gigs of ram

EVGA 8800gt KO ed

Here's a short summary of what I did:

I restored the iso image to the usb then installed pcEFI using OSX86 tools (on another machine obviously).

I then burned the kakewalk iso to a cd. I rebooted, disconnected all hardrives (windows and storage) and connected my blank 500 gig to my first SATA port and set it as master. My dvd/cd rom drive is IDE so i had to keep IDE enabled (jumpered to slave). I switched SATA to AHCI mode and selected "as sata type". I left g-sataII enabled. I rebooted in to the Kakewalk CD and selected the installation USB. I then booted using cpus=1 busratio=20 -v

from there I just continued the installation as usual.

Once rebooted, i booted directly to the drive and got a kernel panic. So i used the Kakewalk CD to boot the harddrive using cpus=1 and -f -v and here I am typing this. Ethernet works out of the box, I do not have sound, and when i turn off my monitor and turn it back on im back to a blank blue screen and have to hard reset. I enabled Quartz via osx86 tools and that seems to be working fine from what I can see. About this mac shows correct information in all but the cpu name (shows 3.21 ghz). Side note, I had this CPU overclocked to 3.6 but decided to revert back to stock speeds since like OP, I was doing all sorts of things just to get ANY osx distro to boot in to installation.

I will update when I get sound working, and install final cut pro (in a few weeks). any questions/tips would be great.

Got sound working using http://www.mediafire.com/?41xsb1rjyjp

I'm in need of upgrading to 10.5.6 (from 10.5.2) for final cut. I tried the voodoo kernel with no luck in booting (even in single user mode) so I undid that.

I'm back on modbin and googling for solutions. I might try Zephrons's amd update utility to 10.5.8 (which i know may end up bricking my system) but I need solutions fast.

I still need to use Kakewalk to boot in to OSX properly. I would install just the bootloader provided by the creator of kakewalk, but my motherboard is not listed in the set up, and i wouldn't know which one to pick in place.

I successfully (from what I can see in the first hour of testing/using) installed a patched "10.5.5 combo update" I downloaded off apple and patched using zeph's AMD patching util (not the apple-like AMD updater since that shows the LATEST updates only). I'm reading up on the details in installing 10.5.8 (disabler.kext/apple decrypt.kext) and will try that next.

Side effects:

-All my drive icons are now orange removable ones, like the fire wire ones, but without the firewire logo.

-I tried using voodoo kernel again, still no go.

-Sound went out, but I used the ALC889.pkg from iPC install dvd and once i restarted, it came back

-Shutdown does not work, and kinda bricks my system. I have to remove the bios battery and clear the bios to even turn the computer on. very odd.

I don't know if this is related to the update, but the screen saver flurry is alot laggier fullscreen than it was before.

I'm thinking about installing NVKush to possibly fix the still persistent monitor off problem but might hold off untill I can update to 10.5.6

I have also prepared an iPC usb installation with custom kexts on the usb I previously had Kalyway 10.5.2. just in case I happen to brick my system beyond repair. I will try installing from usb first alone and then, if unsuccessful, using the kakewalk cd again (previously I had tried iPC dvd alone with no success in even reaching installation.)

Side notes:

Before the update to 10.5.5, I wanted to fix having to use Kakewalk cd every time i wanted to boot, so I extracted the "preboot.dmg" from the kakewalk CD and installed all 4 kexts from preboot.dmg/Extentions in to my main installation drive. This worked but I still had to use cpus=1 to boot properly. Without cpus=1 my screen acted the same way as if I had turned it off .

I'm also starting to think I need to do something with the DSDT.aml and smbios.plist thats in my /Extras folder. I've seen these files on the forums and I know it may have something to do with the bios, but im not sure on that yet.

Ok, forget everything I said (well not EVERYTHING since it is relevant). After a bunch of trial and error using Kalyway10.5.2 and iDeneb 1.6 (10.5.8) I gave up and decided to try another distro iso I had forgotten I had. iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6). I have made a quick video of exactly what I picked (replicated in a VM). You will have to pause and write down the options.

Audio driver:

http://www.mediafire.com/?41xsb1rjyjp

I'm going to try patching all my apps using Marvin's AMD Utility since I have backed everything up.

I will report back once I've done.

P.S.

Sorry for bumping this dead post so many times but information on OSX86 and this mobo are hard to find.

Thanks NµLL !

I have the same mobo and I really enjoy your video :angel:

No problem. That's why I posted the update and how I did it. I may make another video with iShowU HD to show how stable and fast it is with multiple programs running all at once. That is if i can find a [k]racked version of it. :star_smile:

...or buy it

Side note: I also noticed that compressor was crashing on import from final cut, to fix that I patched the files in "/System/Library/Quicktime" with marvin's AMD Patcher. I also made a small step by step of my process at the end of this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111236

I also have the same exact mobo, have any of you been able to get sleep to work??? I am on iDeneb 10.6 lite (OSX 10.5.8 with Voodoo 9.5 kernel). I tried qoopz 9.8 but my box would KP when i chose to shut down and sleep still didn't work.

I used the sleepkernel (ToH) included in most distros. you should have it in iDeneb 1.6 since I used iDeneb 1.4. I have not tested sleep but shutdown and restart both work. I'll restart and give it a shot.

EDIT:

Sleep did not work for me. It just shut down my pc all together.

I used the iDeneb v1.4 distro.

What i done to get leopard install and work:

- Disabled the IDE controller

- Disabled the GSATA controller

- Set the SB7xx's SATAs ports to AHCI

- attached a SATA hd to the first SATA port (the number one, blue) - THAT's REALLY IMPORTANT: OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE AFTER SETUP

- used an external dvd to install leo

Well with that mods, i finally get into leo's installer. Before, i got always "still waiting for root device"

Ok, I should have tried before posting :x

I can't install leo with ideneb 1.4, I still have 'still waiting for root device' ...

I didn't even think about before, but: how do I boot on my (IDE) DVD if I disable IDE controller ?

So, I tried with IDE enabled (and GSATA disabled), my only HDD is plugged to the first SATA port.

I put OnBoard SATA Type to AHCI instead of native IDE.

(Even if I change anything => "still waiting for root device" ...)

Here some photos of what I get:

IDE : enabled

OnBoard SATA Type : AHCI

GSATA: disabled

post-417249-1267365724_thumb.jpg

IDE : enabled

OnBoard SATA Type : IDE

GSATA: disabled

post-417249-1267365738_thumb.jpg

Please help me :'(

Thanks

Ok, I should have tried before posting :x

I can't install leo with ideneb 1.4, I still have 'still waiting for root device' ...

I didn't even think about before, but: how do I boot on my (IDE) DVD if I disable IDE controller ?

So, I tried with IDE enabled (and GSATA disabled), my only HDD is plugged to the first SATA port.

I put OnBoard SATA Type to AHCI instead of native IDE.

(Even if I change anything => "still waiting for root device" ...)

Here some photos of what I get:

post-417249-1267365724_thumb.jpg

post-417249-1267365738_thumb.jpg

Please help me :'(

Thanks

Read my post above. I did not disable IDE since I booted from the Kakewalk CD. then from the kakewalk cd i booted in to an 8 gig USB with the iDeneb 1.4 image restored on it (using another mac's disk utility). This was the only way I could get it to boot properly.

My hardware:

Processor: AMD Phenom II x3 720 @ 3.4GHz

Graphics: HD 4870 (1GB) (Albatron with custom double-cooler)

Memory: 4 GB Mushkin (2x2) @ 800MHz

Motherboard: ECS GF8200A (Onboard Sound)

Hard Drive: Western 640GB & 750GB (Sata 2)

Monitor: Samsung 206BW Syncmaster (1680x1050)

Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Elite 4000

Whoever helps me to install iAtkos v7 on this Computer with all features working (Graphics, Sound and Internet) without random crashes and Kernel Panic at every sleep will get an original Call of Duty 2 CD-Key or 10e via Paypal. The work will be done via Msn or iChat (got leopard via VMware).

Well, where do you live? Bring that sucker over. :P

I`ve GigaByte-Extreme and trying to install 10.5.8

always before booting the computer restarts ., do you know whats wrong with me

i7

6GB DDR3

4890 ATI

Here's a link to the Kakewalk CD. be sure to donate if it works (I did):

http://puru.se/

Far away from USA, Greece. Could you help me get the right kexts? About the reward i'm serious, i could even give you both. I want Mac OSX very bad... VMware lags like hell..

How far are you? have you started?

Execuse me but I didn`t understand this way :( , can you explain it for me ^^

also where can I find KakewalkLegacy.iso ,, ?

Thank you

This is not an easy process, but I will sum up what I did. If you read ALL my posts above and look at the Hardware Compatibility List for your distro you will get a bit more detail in to how many things I tried before getting a stable solid installation that I'm currently using in school for HD video editing in final cut (Just so you know everything's solid).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/121189/Kakewalk.zip

I downloaded that and burn it to cd.

on another mac, I restored my distro image (iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6) to an 8 gigabyte flashdrive. (there are tutorials online on how to do this, I did it using Diskutility)

I booted from the CD with the flashdrive plugged in and selected it and booted from it using the flags:

cpus=1 -v -x

and successfully got to the install GUI.

From then on I installed the kexts and tweeks for my system if they were included. (see my video above)

if you cant boot, try some kernel flags (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=99891)

Your best resource in all this is the H.C.L. and Google (and possibly these forums if you can find a thread that has a response).

Google every piece of hardware (onboard too) with "osx86" or check their manufacture's website to see if OS X drivers are available.

No one said it would be easy so don't expect an inclusive answer for your specific hardware combination.

Good luck.

Just wondered how you managed to get Kakewalk "recognize" the mobo

I went to the link and MA790 is nowhere in the "supported hardware" section.

However, I shall give it a try... I got the .zip file... is that the file I should burn to a CD.

And... it means I can go to SL directly? (currently, using W7)

Hope you can answer and it's not a bother =]

Just wondered how you managed to get Kakewalk "recognize" the mobo

I went to the link and MA790 is nowhere in the "supported hardware" section.

However, I shall give it a try... I got the .zip file... is that the file I should burn to a CD.

And... it means I can go to SL directly? (currently, using W7)

Hope you can answer and it's not a bother =]

I used the CD because it's made for many gigabyte mobos, so I thought it was worth a shot on mine and it worked.

Don't think this CD is going to solve everything. All this cd did for me is allow me to BOOT the OSX install DVD (flashdrive in my case). Without this CD I was not able to boot ANY install dvd or usb without the computer rebooting.

I have not tried with SL, but may later on another hard drive or something.

Don't think this CD is going to solve everything. All this cd did for me is allow me to BOOT the OSX install DVD (flashdrive in my case). Without this CD I was not able to boot ANY install dvd or usb without the computer rebooting.

I have not tried with SL, but may later on another hard drive or something.

Uh, oke... I don't have this problem... I've iPC and what happens is that OS installer won't "see" any of my HDD... I've read somewhere that I have to plug it into the 1st SATA port... I shall give it a try later.

Hope you'll be able to try to directly install SL.