[GUIDE] WUSB54G v4 fully working on OS X Leopard w/WPA2-PSK

Amazing Lemur

31 posts in this topic

FOR SNOW LEOPARD:

You can get this working under Snow Leopard by going to http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3 and downloading the link that says "USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500)".

It is a DMG. Mount it and open the 10.6 folder. Run the installer. Everything should work.

Sorry about the delay, if you really want to reach me, pm me, I will respond quicker that way because I don't regularly check this forum.

FOR LEOPARD:

Note: much of this tutorial is taken from this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55041 and has been updated clarity for Leopard.

This will allow you to install the WUSB54G v4 on Leopard with full support.

-REQUIREMENTS-

Ralink RT2500 USB Wireless Driver(can be here or at: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wwmwajijie2 )

and f5d9050v4mac.dmg from here or at: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?twmy1wwznjm .

BASIC Terminal knowledge. I will post all of the commands, so it won't be too difficult.

Step 1: Install First Driver

Mount the RTUSB dmg file (double click) and then copy the contents to the desktop

open up USBWireless-10.4 and run USBWireless-Tiger.pkg

Reboot when prompted

Step 2

When you reboot, the Ralink USB Device Utility should pop up, if it doesn't, no big deal.

Completely Exit it

Step 3: Terminal, part 1

Pop open Terminal and put in

sudo -s

Step 4: Editing Info.plist, part 1

Now type this

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Step 5: Editing Info.plist, part 2

At the end of where it says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "[url="http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"]http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd[/url]">
   <plist version="1.0">
   <dict>
   <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
   <string>English</string>
   <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
   <string>RT2500USBWirelessDriver</string>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.Ralink.driver.RT2500</string>
   <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
   <string>6.0</string>
   <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
   <string>KEXT</string>
   <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
   <string>1.1.3.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
   <string>Lens Wang</string>
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>1.1.3</string>
   <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
   <dict>

hit Return to create a space and copy the following under it:

<key>Wireless-G USB Network Adapter</key>
<dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>bcdDevice</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>13</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>5041</integer>
</dict>

[/code]

Step 6: Save and Exit

On your keyboard hit Ctrl+O and then enter and then Ctrl+X to Quit.

Step 7: Correct permissions

In terminal type, or copy and paste:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

Step 8

Exit Terminal

Step 9: Repair Disk Permissions

Open up Disk Utility, choose your current Partition and under First Aid hit Repair Permissions and let that run.

Step 10

Reboot

Step 11: Manually Configuring the Adapter

When OS X boots, you need to go to System Preferences -> Network then select USB Ethernet on the left panel, then select "Using DHCP with manual address" in the Configure field. I had to enter an IP address, so I just used 192.168.1.111. This may vary by router. Go look at your other computers and find their IPs and use on that isn't used.

Now install the Belkin utility (the Tiger version). Reboot.

Ralink USB Utility and the Belkin Utility should come up again. If it doesn't detect a network and still says No Device!! unplug your USB adaptor and plug it back in.

Step 12: Cleanup

Delete the Ralink USBWirelessUtility.app in the Applications folder, the start-up daemon (WiUtilityRT73Startup_Ralink folder) in System/Library/StartupItems and the Belkin driver (RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext) in System/Library/Extensions.

Step 13: Other Info, Comments

If you have no internet, but are connected to your internet, go to Network under System Preferences and it should say New Ethernet Device Found or something along those lines. Follow the guidelines there and you will be able to connect to the internet with your wireless device :censored2:

If you have any questions/comments/complaints please post here. If the original discoverer(Kramer) has any problem with me posting this, just say so, and I will remove it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great info. My WUSB54G v4 is now working with OSX86 10.5.7.

Now my only follow up question to this great tutorial is: Will this now work with KisMac and if so which driver should I be selecting for use with it? Kismac seems to be crashing when I select RT2570.

Is anyone else using KisMac?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you. Managed to get my Linksys WUSB54G v4 usb network adaptor working but i did not delete or remove anything as stated in your solutions. But you know what sometime it works without unplug and replug but at times i need to unplug and replug for the adapter to work.

Is there a permanent work around for this? I know there is one but its no more donation-ware and you got to pay for the driver now.

Any ideas how to rectify this issue or is there a compatible PCI or USB wireless adaptor that we can use on OS X?

Thank you.

Thank you to EVERYONE who posted info on this topic (Amazing Lemur, J.Sylar, Lkr, Kramer2k). I didn't find *this* thread until this morning after getting my WUSB54G working yesterday -- I used the info in the 3 previous threads that built up to this one to get it working.

Recent circumstances led to me resurrecting my old 12" PowerBook G4 with a new hard drive (HD crashes are so sad) until I get a new job and have the money to buy a new Mac. Because I had a new hard drive with a fresh install of Leopard, I was at Mac OS version 10.5, and a few things were different from the instructions that have been posted so far. I thought I'd post a note in case anyone else runs into the same thing.

* Like others experienced, the Ralink USB Device Utility did not work at all - it never recognized my device, even after I had the Belkin Utility running and connected to my AP.

* I haven't seen anyone else mention this... In the System Preferences | Network settings in Mac OS 10.5, the device /service /interface didn't automatically show up in that left panel. I had to click the plus (+) button below the left panel to add a service, and then I chose the USB interface from the interface dropdown list. (Mine was originally listed as Network Ethernet - see below).

* In 10.5, my device was not listed in the interface dropdown menu as "USB Ethernet (en 1)". It was instead listed as something like "Network Ethernet (en 1)". Now that I've updated to 10.5.7, it *is* listed as "USB Ethernet (en 1)."

* I tried using DHCP with manual address, but it didn't work. I also tried setting everything manually and that didn't work either. I changed to straight DHCP and it works fine.

* I added the Belkin wireless utility to my user's Login Items (system preferences | account) so that it starts automatically when I reboot. I also added a "profile" for my AP so I don't have to enter the SSID and password every time (I don't broadcast my SSID). It takes a couple/few minutes, but the Belkin utility *does* automatically connect to my AP.

* Sometimes when the computer wakes up from sleeping, and the Belkin utility is still open (if I didn't close it before the computer went to sleep), the Belkin utility doesn't see the adapter. In that case, I do a quick unplug/re-plug and the utility sees the adapter and automatically connects to the AP with no hassle.

* I *did* delete the "extra" files as mentioned in the Clean Up section and everything works fine.

To add to the list of working hardware / software combos, here's my particular configuration:

* PowerBook G4 12" (Aluminum) - "January 2003" model

* PowerPC 867 MHz (it has USB 1.1, not 2.0, for what that's worth)

* Started with a fresh install of Leopard - Retail DVD - version 10.5

* After getting the WUSB54G working, I updated to Mac OS 10.5.7.

* I bought my WUSB54G in September 2005 (I had the receipt with the software CD) - it's "version 4", and I haven't ever checked to see if there is a firmware update for it.

* I'm connecting to a Linksys WRT54G v5 (no clue if it's had any firmware updates - it's borrowed and I haven't checked).

* The AP is not broadcasting its SSID. I'm using WPA Personal security.

Thanks again to everyone here for taking the time to solve this and share it. Thank you Belkin for the wireless utility that WORKS!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

1. For anyone having trouble, be aware that some of the steps in this guide have been removed somehow - refer to the original Tiger guide if the steps seem to jump ahead.

2. I have found out what is wrong with the Leopard version of the USB Wireless Utility that comes bundled with the RALink drivers and fixed it - please download the copy I have attached for a working utility. I am using it to connect succesfully to my wireless network with a LinkSys WUSB54GS.

Hope this helps :P

Thanks

USBWirelessUtility.app.zip

• 3 weeks later...
Step 3: Terminal, part 1

Pop open Terminal and put in

sudo -s

[/code]

Step 5: Editing Info.plist, part 1

At the end of where it says:

[codebox]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.1.3.0</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>Lens Wang</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.1.3</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict><plist version="1.0"><dict><key></key>
<dict>[/codebox]</dict></dict></plist>

hit Return to create a space and copy the following under it:

<dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>bcdDevice</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>13</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>5041</integer>
</dict>

[/code]

Step 6: Save and Exit

On your keyboard hit Ctrl+O and then enter and then Ctrl+X to Quit.

You skipped step 4, why is that?

Also what is the location of the file to edit?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

does someone have the Belkin drivers by chance? f5d9050v4mac.dmg

the Belkin site no longer has them for download and i've emailed them several times trying to get them with no response.

does someone have the Belkin drivers by chance? f5d9050v4mac.dmg

the Belkin site no longer has them for download and i've emailed them several times trying to get them with no response.

nm. looks like you can get it here:

http://www.wireless-driver.com/download/ot...050-Drivers.htm

• 5 weeks later...

Whoa. Sorry guys. I forgot to subscribe the thread so I haven't seen the responses.

I put up mirrors of the files on MediaFire and put in the missing step and fixed some spelling errors.

@Jen

Thanks for the detailed post. Good to know it recognizes it under 10.5.7 (I have 10.5.8 so everything should work.) I will have to check it out (I am on Win7 right now because, honestly, I like it a ton more than Leopard).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
hi guys, thanks for the guide. well i got mine working however, im also facing the issue of having the need to unplug and replug after every reboot. any body got this issue addressed?

Me too!!! I also need to unplug + replug every reboot.

If you have any questions/comments/complaints please post here. If the original discoverer(Kramer) has any problem with me posting this, just say so, and I will remove it.

I'm running Mac OS 10.5.8 on a 1GHz PowerPC G4 eMac trying to use a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz 802.11g USB network adapter model WUSB54G ver 4.

I've made it successfully - I think - through Step 10.

Like greythorne below, neither the Belkin Wireless USB.app nor the USBWirelessUtility.app have launched automatically at login, so I put the Belkin Wireless USB.app in my startup folder.

Neither app will detect the adapter after rescan and/or unplugging/plugin.

No USB adapter appears in the System Preferences>Network>DHCP>Add Interface ("+" in lower left-hand corner)>Interface(drop-down menu). What I have in this drop-down menu is:

FireWire

Ethernet

Internal Modem

----

VPN

PPPoE

6 to 4

I have no idea what the "6 to 4" option is, but when I choose it, the graphic in the left-hand pane is an ethernet graphic (<--->).

I take it that because no USB option appears now that I've completed steps 1-10 that I made a mistake in one of these steps.

The indented materials below is a cut-and-paste of what I added to System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

-----

<dict>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>4</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>13</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5041</integer>

</dict>

<key>ALPHA</key>

-----

I was bothered that the <dict> was not a closing </dict> as appeared at the end of all of the other device definitions, so I changed it to a </dict> still had no luck.

The adapter's "power" light is lit, and the computer sees it - it is listed under the USB Bus as "Wireless-G USB Network Adapter" - its "link" light is NOT lit.

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated!

• 2 months later...

I

I'm running Mac OS 10.5.8 on a 1GHz PowerPC G4 eMac trying to use a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz 802.11g USB network adapter model WUSB54G ver 4.

I've made it successfully - I think - through Step 10.

Like greythorne below, neither the Belkin Wireless USB.app nor the USBWirelessUtility.app have launched automatically at login, so I put the Belkin Wireless USB.app in my startup folder.

Neither app will detect the adapter after rescan and/or unplugging/plugin.

No USB adapter appears in the System Preferences>Network>DHCP>Add Interface ("+" in lower left-hand corner)>Interface(drop-down menu). What I have in this drop-down menu is:

FireWire

Ethernet

Internal Modem

----

VPN

PPPoE

6 to 4

I have no idea what the "6 to 4" option is, but when I choose it, the graphic in the left-hand pane is an ethernet graphic (<--->).

I take it that because no USB option appears now that I've completed steps 1-10 that I made a mistake in one of these steps.

The indented materials below is a cut-and-paste of what I added to System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

-----

<dict>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>4</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>13</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5041</integer>

</dict>

<key>ALPHA</key>

-----

I was bothered that the <dict> was not a closing </dict> as appeared at the end of all of the other device definitions, so I changed it to a </dict> still had no luck.

The adapter's "power" light is lit, and the computer sees it - it is listed under the USB Bus as "Wireless-G USB Network Adapter" - its "link" light is NOT lit.

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated!

I am having the same problem I have modified the Info.plist and followed all the steps in this guide have all drivers everything but I still cannot connect to the internet. I have KisMac and it detects the USB adapter but I can't connect to any of the networks that show up because it says something about no airport card. I really want to get this working because the card in my computer does not work as an airport card either it is an Intel 5100 chipset which will not work. Any help with getting the Linksys USB Adapter working would be APPRECIATED. Somebody Please HELP!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can get this working under Snow Leopard by going to http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3 and downloading the link that says "USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500)".

It is a DMG. Mount it and open the 10.6 folder. Run the installer. Everything should work.

Sorry about the delay, if you really want to reach me, pm me, I will respond quicker that way because I don't regularly check this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running 10.6.3 on my hp dv8t i7 720 and downloaded the USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500), mounted, opened up the install file in the 10.6 folder and it installed the Ralink utility, but doesn't detect the wusb54g v4. Anyone get this to work?

Got a problem.

Followed all the steps carefully, -until- Step 11

I open up System Preferences, followed by Network, and it's empty. There's nothing in the left box, and the only option in location is automatic. Therefore, I cannot proceed. System Profiler recognises it as Wireless-G Network Adapter by Cisco-Linksys and everything, so detection is not an issue.

I've tried a lot of drivers and methods, but none actually work.

It's the only thing that isn't working now, everything else essential is.

@stickee try editing the the .plist as given in the guide for Leopard.

@AxxaVerKa Are you running Snow Leopard or Leopard? Try going through all the instructions again.

Running both iATKOS v7 and iDeneb 10.5.8 Lite. iDeneb has stuff like connection settings on the box on the right, though it still doesn't have anything on the left.