8 posts in this topic

Update 09/09/09

I have successfully installed, retail Leopard 10.5 updated to 10.5.5 and also 10.5.6 in my Hack Pro (see specs in my signature) using the guide in the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1258567

After using the post-patch.sh, chameleon and EFI Strings, everything was working except the SOUND.

I had to use the HDAenabler and HDA kext files that i used in my last successful installation and a Kext Helper to inject them correctly. I couldn't manage to use the "HDA and Dump" files provided the post i used. However my sound now works great. I am using the optical output in the board watching DVDs in 5.1 and sound is awesome!!

The files i used are posted below.

To use them, just open the Kext helper; using kext helper select the two remaining files; wait for confirmation and that should be it. Reboot and check your system. This worked for me.

Apple HDA kext:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

HDA Enabler:

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

Kext Helper:

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

I have checked sleep, ethernet, and even Bonjour, they all work.

I have purchased a retail copy of Snow Leo 10.6, but haven't tried to install it yet as all guides i have found had a couple of issues still to be fixed, so i decided to stick with my 99% working 10.5.6 system until find a better guide.

When i say "99% working" i am referring to my PCI slots (2x white slots at the bottom of the board).

I got a -Broadcom "wireless G" PCI-adapter (Airport utility compatible) and the system does not find it unless i boot in safe mode (-x). If i boot normally, it does not appear in system profiler but when in safe mode it comes up in the airport device section as "third party device" working perfectly.

I have tried to fix it with OSX utilities, but no luck.

If anybody has experienced the same problems, please leave your thoughts and experiences here. I really would like to get this problem sorted.

Thanks for all you help!!! I have learnt lots from this forum!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Update 09/09/09

I have successfully installed, retail Leopard 10.5 updated to 10.5.5 and also 10.5.6 in my Hack Pro (see specs in my signature) using the guide in the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1258567

After using the post-patch.sh, chameleon and EFI Strings, everything was working except the SOUND.

I had to use the HDAenabler and HDA kext files that i used in my last successful installation and a Kext Helper to inject them correctly. I couldn't manage to use the "HDA and Dump" files provided the post i used. However my sound now works great. I am using the optical output in the board watching DVDs in 5.1 and sound is awesome!!

The files i used are posted below.

To use them, just open the Kext helper; using kext helper select the two remaining files; wait for confirmation and that should be it. Reboot and check your system. This worked for me.

Apple HDA kext:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

HDA Enabler:

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

Kext Helper:

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

I have checked sleep, ethernet, and even Bonjour, they all work.

Now my only problem, is when i switch the computer off, the system shuts down, but the fans inside still spin and the power stays on.

I have seen some fixes for this, floating around the internet and tried them all with no success.

If anyone could help me with this problem.

I need help!!!

Thanks guys

I have the same MOBO. Use OpenHalttRestart.kext for proper shutdown and restart. I'm now on 10.6.1 and things are working fine.

I have the same MOBO. Use OpenHalttRestart.kext for proper shutdown and restart. I'm now on 10.6.1 and things are working fine.

Hi Gordon Buchanan and thanks for your reply.

I have purchased a retail copy of Snow Leo 10.6, but haven't tried to install it yet as all guides i have found had a couple of issues still to be fixed, so i decided to stick with my 99% working 10.5.6 system until find a better guide.

When i say "99% working" i am referring to my PCI slots (2x white slots at the bottom of the board).

I got a -Broadcom "wireless G" PCI-adapter (Airport utility compatible) and the system does not find it unless i boot in safe mode (-x). If i boot normally, it does not appear in system profiler but when in safe mode it comes up in the airport device section as "third party device" working perfectly.

I have tried to fix it with OSX utilities, but no luck. If you could confirm your PCI slots are working and explain how you updated to 10.6, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!

I'm not using the PCI slots so I'm not sure on that. I wonder if you could compare the output of kextstat in safe mode and in normal mode. Maybe this will give you an idea on what kext is causing you problems.

Another thought is to try using the newest netkas boot file at netkas.org. It can detect my video card and ethernet ports automatically where as the original chameleon one couldn't. It has something to do with the PCI root being 1 on our mobo as opposed to 0 on others. Maybe it will help for your other PCI card. It will also allow you to get rid of your efi string for graphics.

I'm not using the PCI slots so I'm not sure on that. I wonder if you could compare the output of kextstat in safe mode and in normal mode. Maybe this will give you an idea on what kext is causing you problems.

Another thought is to try using the newest netkas boot file at netkas.org. It can detect my video card and ethernet ports automatically where as the original chameleon one couldn't. It has something to do with the PCI root being 1 on our mobo as opposed to 0 on others. Maybe it will help for your other PCI card. It will also allow you to get rid of your efi string for graphics.

Gordon,

I have the same board that you have and have (EP45-DS3R/DS3) and am currently running 10.5.8 with a EFix v1.0 dongle that is not supported by the company that I purchased it from and is proving to be a waste of $180 six months ago.

I purchased a retail copy of snow leopard and have been hesitant to move form this darn usb dongle thing into a true do it your self mac. Can you please recommend the best guide to help me along the way? Question: does your mother board sound card work under 10.6.1? The information on Wiki for this board says "sound not yet"

Thanks, Cash

Gordon,

I have the same board that you have and have (EP45-DS3R/DS3) and am currently running 10.5.8 with a EFix v1.0 dongle that is not supported by the company that I purchased it from and is proving to be a waste of $180 six months ago.

I purchased a retail copy of snow leopard and have been hesitant to move form this darn usb dongle thing into a true do it your self mac. Can you please recommend the best guide to help me along the way? Question: does your mother board sound card work under 10.6.1? The information on Wiki for this board says "sound not yet"

Thanks, Cash

Sound works fine. Send me an email and I'll send you the files that I use. It's pretty straight forward.